Disadvantages to booking online?

berryhappy24

Its all what you are comfortable with.

Some times a TA will throw in cabin credit or sail a way gift, but the prices are mostly the same. I have also found its easier to manage my reservation by just logging into my account. payments and changes can be made easily and quickly on my laptop. If I do have a question or problem the Captains club is always ready to assist.

Dave:eek:

We use one on-line agency for many years now. They are internet only, thus you can't call them, but.. responce time for e-mail is on average about 10 minutes. They have very competitive pricing and on top of this, often you get points for every $ you spend and they would give your a list of things yiu can get for these points (very often they would give you a $ credit instead of actual things). Cancelations before final payment with them are always free. We were able to negotiate price if we saw it was lower than when we booked. :)

We book online and have never had problems. Like someone else said, some TA's send a bon voyage gift or something but that's about all you're missing out on. I suppose if you had a particularly complicated booking, it might be helpful to have a TA make the arrangements for you, but if it's just a regular reservation, I don't think it's necessary.

I find when I book directly with them, they are easier to deal with when the price drops for refund or I want to change staterooms. Whenever the price has dropped then generally offer me the refund or the ability to move to a higher grade room. I generally prefer the upgrade.

We have had a huge problem after being lied to by an online agent (NOT a cruiseline). I posted about this earlier (basically we are paying more for a worse room after adding a fourth person). I'll never use an online agency to book a cruise again, because if something goes wrong it's a nightmare. At least it has been with this company, which is very large and well-known. We have spent a lot of time on hold, getting cut off, and then trying to get this problem resolved and it's still messed up.

In the future the only online I would do would be the cruiseline itself. A cruise should be about fun, relaxation, and enjoyment. A few bumps in the road are OK, but you don't want them during the booking process ... I think the cruiseline or a bricks-and-mortar TA would be more responsive, and more honest in the first place. Just my opinion ...

I'm sure that there are TA's here about that will disagree with me, but I see no reason to use a TA at all. We do all of the research ourselves online, select the cruise we're interested in, as well as the cabin we like, book the cruise online directly with through the cruise line, as well as make our own air arrangements. For our Europe cruise this September, we even did all our own research and made all our hotel reservations both pre & post cruise on line. Like they say, it ain't rocket science .... So, frankly, I can't imagine what a TA could add that I can't do myself.

We always book online and have booked directly with X online a couple of times.

What I don't like about X website is that there is no option to check for a senior discount.

You cannot request seating options for the diningroom thru X website either except for late or early seating.

With the demise of the discounts that used to be available through on-line agencies, many of the advantages of using on-line agencies have disappeared. However, some agencies now include free travel insurance, which to me, is reason enough to keep booking with them.

I booked our first five cruises myself on line. Then my agent left the company and the service declined. Booked the next one directly with Celebrity, all was fine . . but no perks. Then a friend told me about their land agent so decided to try that. Because of Celebrity's rules, the cabin rates were exactly the same between the two; however, new travel agent gave us $$$ in on board credit and a certificate for two at the specialty restaurant. Since then, I have booked with the agent. Coming up on our TA in December, another great onboard credit and spa certificates. . . because the agents cannot discount the cabins, they are making up by offering some perks. I imagine they need to do a large volume to make this work.

I booked our first five cruises myself on line. Then my agent left the company and the service declined. Booked the next one directly with Celebrity, all was fine . . but no perks. Then a friend told me about their land agent so decided to try that. Because of Celebrity's rules, the cabin rates were exactly the same between the two; however, new travel agent gave us $$$ in on board credit and a certificate for two at the specialty restaurant. Since then, I have booked with the agent. Coming up on our TA in December, another great onboard credit and spa certificates. . . because the agents cannot discount the cabins, they are making up by offering some perks. I imagine they need to do a large volume to make this work.

And that's assuming you can find one that will give you a perk. I went to a B&M cruise only agency and sat with the owner telling him what I wanted for 13 of us to Alaska. He couldn't have been less interested and offered absolutely nothing that I couldn't get through the cruiseline. So I did my research and booked directly with X. I just couldn't see "giving" someone the commission for the work I did.

What I'd love to see is the cruiselines offering a discount to those of us who do book directly with them. Let's face it, they save $$$ by not having to pay the TA commission why not pass along some of the $ by lowering the price to those booking directly? Just my 2 cents! (and sorry that it is off topic :o )

I prefer booking directly with Celebrity. If there is ever a foul up, Celebrity refers you back to your travel agent. Deal direct, you'll be just as happy.

If you love Celebrity, the way we do, you can book your next cruise while on board a Celebrity cruise and receive $200 shipboard credit for doing so.

We've done this several times without any problems.

Sailing Greek Islands in June!

Andrea

I used a TA for our past X and our future X. But after our experience cruising Gty last Dec and not being able to deal with X because we booked with at TA (who was on a cruise herself while the trouble arose), we will deal directly with X next time.

I know our problem could have been resolved had we not used a (absent) travel agent.

From the UK we've booked online through US agents, direct with the cruise line and through UK agents. Perhaps we've been lucky, but we've never had a problem with any of these methods but once we've made plans we do stick to them - it seems to be changes that cause the problems. Delivery of tickets has usually not been a problem, quickest when booking direct with X/RCCI but still in plenty of time with others.

We always book connecting travel separately, with at least a day to spare on arrival for UK - US and often plan for a day or so after the cruise doing something different. One thing that booking direct (as opposed to using Travel Agents) seems to give is a later final payment date - eight weeks out instead of ten or twelve.

Remembering to co-ordinate all the different bookings can be a challenge, but that's all part of the fun of planning a trip!

Vortigern

:)It would appear most of the people choose not to use a travel agent. i must be a rare person, because I still use a travel agent I have worked with over the last 20 years.

I do much of the research online and let my travel agent do the final booking. I find that using a travel agent saves me time and stress. I realize that some people will disagree with me.

I will give two examples: Celebrity informed me to watch the cruise prices and if they went down, my price would go down. I noticed that the cruise prices went down. I contacted my travel agent, who then contacted Celebrity for the lower price. After getting the lower price the travel agent asked if there was possibly an additional discount for seniors. At the time of the booking there wasn't; however, now there was. She found an additional discount that I wasn't aware of and saved us several hundred dollars.

Second example: I was snowed in the Milwaukee airport. After spending two hours on the airplane at the gate, the flight was cancelled. While I was waiting in line, I contacted my travel agent on my cell phone. She checked with friends she had in the airline and the possible weather conditions later in the day. While in line I booked new flights in the late afternoon through her. She also booked our flights for the following day in case the new flight was also canceled. It wasn't, and she canceled the additional flight for me. When I got to the front of the line, I gave my name and the agent looked like how did he get booked. I received the boarding passes, and left that afternoon.

I will let you judge whether a travel agent can be valuable.

If I had a travel agent like yours, I would also say that they are valuable. Sadly, my travel agent is not like yours.

With the trouble we had prior to our last cruise (and her knowing that she messed up and was not going to be around to help us) she never even followed up with us on how everything went. No, that is not valuable.

We can't share travel agent's names on these boards, right? I would love the name of a good agent.

We have always found a better value with a travel agent without exception. I read on here once that it was a good idea to do the research here, find the best price, etc online then give a travel agent a chance. Every time the travel agent was a better value and we have someone to call or email with questions, problems, whatever. It's like having free insurance against something going wrong.

When my mother passed away our travel agent took care of everything from cancelling her cruise and processing the insurance claim to making air arrangements for incoming relatives. I don't think I could have received that attention from a discount cruise broker. When we went to check into our hotel after our cruise we had been given a really lousy room. I called our travel agent. By the time we got back from lunch we had been moved to a wonderful room on the conceirge level floor at no extra charge.

I don't have much time to be online and really don't understand why someone wouldn't like to have an agent working for them. They don't cost anything. It's easy enough to check up on them to be sure the price is right. I agree with the member who has had the same one for 20 years who takes good care of them. Why not? Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I guess I'm old-fashioned (or just plain old) but I like having our mechanic that we trust with our car (and who won't take advantage of us), our banker we've done business with forever (who knows us and will come to our rescue in a financial emergency), our accountant who does our taxes year after year (and honestly answers our financial questions) and our travel agent who makes it easy, saves us money and is there if we need her.

I have been using the same online travel agent for years. Not only did I just receive free trip insurance, I received a $300 ship credit. Not sure if X would give me the same deal. If I have a question and he is in the office he gets back quickly by phone or email.

I have never used a T/A for anything other then a cruise as I love to plan and make my vacation reservations myself. I spend hours and hours researching my vacations. I have found some really great deals over the years but it is hard work.

In my opinion, there is no real advantage of using a TA to book just a cruise or the cruise line's add ons, unless it increases your comfort level.

However, a full service TA can be very helpful if she/he is knowledgeable enough to discuss the pros and cons of staying in different areas of a port city before your cruise, finding a good hotel in the right location before a European Cruise, etc.

We book online, then have the booking transferred to our travel agent. The price remains the same, so why not give my TA the benefit of the commission? She gives us a gift, such as a bottle of wine. Last time she gave us a dinner at a speciality rest. If I have a problem, she goes to bat for me. If I have a complaint, she sends in a letter from her agency. Booking online, for me, is a win win situation. If I cancel my cruise, she makes sure I get the refund I am due in a timely manner. In fact, we just booked the Century for June 2008 and got an excellent price on X's web site. I have transferred that booking to my TA. I check the web site often to watch our price. If it changes, I notify my TA and she makes sure I get the reduction. It's a personal decision, but I like my way of booking online and also using my TA.

This is what they don't tell you, but I've discovered during my current fiasco with the Big Online MegaAgency (air, hotel, cruise, vacations): they subcontract out their Cruise portion. Even though it looks like you are dealing with Big Agency because it's part of their website, you are not. You are dealing with a subcontractor. It might seem cheaper, but life happens and sometime you make changes. Or the subcontractor can tell you anything even if it's not true.

Result: Extra levels of bureaucracy, huge headaches and no accountability if you have to make changes or have any problems. The road to any kind of recourse is long and painful.

Please look carefully into who you use to book your cruise. Some online agencies might be doing their own work. Some might be awesome. But just be VERY careful! I am of the online generation and am most comfortable doing stuff online. But from now on, it will be cruises through the cruiseline or a TA.

Same old thing -- I think many of us would use a TA if we could find a good one. I've booked every way imaginable, except brick and morter because I live in a rural area and what exists doesn't offer anything more than going directly with the line, with one exception. I used a B&M, once -- had to as part of a large group booking. The agency advertises on a mega radio station in Illinois, so I'd say they are well known. OMG, what a con artist the agent was.

I agree with the poster who said that maybe the cruise line should give some sort of bennie for those who book directly with them. If they are willing to do it for on cruise bookings (I don't plan that far out), maybe they could give something for a booking prior to the final payment date.

We've booked directly with X, through internet agencies, and several TAs. I've had good and bad results with all of them. Last year, after reading many peoples' glowing reports about their TA, I found out who it was and tried that company. So far, we're very satisfied. For example, last November, when we were in Barcelona two days before our Transatlantic on the Millie, our TA emailed us that an aft balcony cabin had opened up and did we want it? We already had a special cabin we liked so we didn't take it, but I was certainly impressed that she was still watching out for us two days before departure! Also, two weeks after we had made final payment on our Pacific Coastal cruise on Radiance in September, we received a credit from our TA for $575!!!:eek: I had no idea the rates had changed but our TA did and took care of it for us. That was another first. So, for now, we book with our TA or book onboard or online and transfer the reservation. In addition to the incredible service we've received thus far, after we completed one cruise, we now receive an onboard credit.

I think the benefits of booking directly with a cruise line vs a travel agent are somewhat dependent upon a person's comfort level and what is important to them. For example, the advantage of getting an immediate response to a question or concern from the cruise line is much more important to me than working with a travel agent who takes days to get back to me to resolve the same issues. Yet, many people don't mind waiting because they consider a travel agent to be their advocate.

Archived