Booking a future cruise on the ship

Has anyone had experience with booking a future cruise while on the ship? We have visited the Loyalty Ambassador on our last two cruises and have come away with the same impression each time ( one of our dining table companions had the same experience). They have been rather "snippy" when questioned about prices and dates. They have acted like they couldn't care less if we booked or not. I understand that there are probably a lot of "tire kickers" that stop in, but after a half dozen previous cruises, it should be obvious that were were not just window shopping.

Has anyone had experience with booking a future cruise while on the ship? We have visited the Loyalty Ambassador on our last two cruises and have come away with the same impression each time ( one of our dining table companions had the same experience). They have been rather "snippy" when questioned about prices and dates. They have acted like they couldn't care less if we booked or not. I understand that there are probably a lot of "tire kickers" that stop in, but after a half dozen previous cruises, it should be obvious that were were not just window shopping.

My experience onboard the Freedom last month agrees with yours. The Loyalty Ambassador we dealt with was disinterested at best. OK, we knew which cruise we wanted, and which cabin we wanted. But the LA gave us information I knew to be false, and, I felt, just wanted us to get out of the office as fast as possible. We booked a BtoB on the Mariner, too- a nice sale. Once I got back, I had both bookings transferred to our TA and he made sure we had everything in order.

Only did it once. We were on the Empress, she priced 3 or 4 different cruises on 2 different ships. Had no problems, she couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. We'll do it again in October on the Grandeur.

We just booked while onbaord the AOS a few weeks ago. I already had a reservation with deposit for our next cruise (also on the AOS) - but I booked onboard anyways 'cause I wanted that darn onboard credit! I simply cancelled the original booking when I got home :)

The whole process was rather painless since we knew exactly which ship, date, cabin etc that we wanted.

I would definitely book onboard again.

We actually were able to book on the day we boarded, which in general they don't do. Usually the first day is used for them to take care of any issues and answer questions. But, we had the cruise/cabin already picked out, so she did us a favor.

We have booked our last 4 cruises while on board the LA's have always been attentive and helpful. In fact we booked our upcoming Mariner cruise while on the Enchantment last year and our LA from Finland picked Hump cabins for us which we understand are better located cabins. She was,also, helpful providing us information and estimates to plan our Greek & Med cruise for 2008 even though bookings were not available at the time.

We have booked our last 4 cruises while on board the LA's have always been attentive and helpful. In fact we booked our upcoming Mariner cruise while on the Enchantment last year and our LA from Finland picked Hump cabins for us which we understand are better located cabins. She was,also, helpful providing us information and estimates to plan our Greek & Med cruise for 2008 even though bookings were not available at the time.

Booking on board has made me feel as if kindness and customer service were not options BUT the savings (sort of) makes up for the rude behavior of the LA. I have found that even being a C&A Diamond member does not always change their attitude. Now, I know exactly what ship, sail date and cabin catagory I desire when I go to book with the LA. It certainly makes things a lot nicer.

Soooo...If you book on board you get a $100 onboard credit per stateroom, ? plus I could still get my $100 onboard stockholder credit? Any other benefits of booking on board? We always get a balcony cabin. How far in advance can you book. Never thought of doing this as want to coordinate freq flyer but maybe can look in advance on those

Sorry for all the questions, but appreciate the help

For those who have been disappointed....

Have you done your homework?

If you have, it should be a painless and positive experience. We have booked four future cruises onboard. All have been positive experiences. We knew what we wanted and there was no hassle.

Soooo...If you book on board you get a $100 onboard credit per stateroom, ? plus I could still get my $100 onboard stockholder credit? Any other benefits of booking on board? We always get a balcony cabin. How far in advance can you book. Never thought of doing this as want to coordinate freq flyer but maybe can look in advance on those

Sorry for all the questions, but appreciate the help

YOu can get the OBC, use your shareholder credit, use your C & A coupon if you book one of the cruises listed, and use your RCCL credit card points if you have enough. If you are Diamond or better (not 100% sure of this as not Diamond yet) you can get another discount.

You can book up to and often more than a year out. If RCL has released the schedule, you should be able to book it.

If you are going to book onboard, just do your homework and know what you want. You can only book airlines 11 months in advance so take the cruise air as a backup and plan on finding your own air and then canceling the cruise air before final payment is due.

IMO, it it worth it to book on board as you really have nothing to lose. :)

We actually were able to book on the day we boarded, which in general they don't do. Usually the first day is used for them to take care of any issues and answer questions. But, we had the cruise/cabin already picked out, so she did us a favor.

I was just going to ask if they are avaiable on boarding day and also do they accept C&A coupons? We are sailing the end of April and if any good coupons come out we are hoping that we can book onboard and get the $100 credit AND use our coupon as when we get back the coupons will be expired. Has anyone ever done this?? Thanks

Can you have a reservation on a paticular ship and sailing and then book the same ship and sailing while you are onboard another cruise and then come home and cancel the first one? Don't they see on their computers that the same four names are already booked on the vessel? - Elizabeth

I was just going to ask if they are avaiable on boarding day and also do they accept C&A coupons? We are sailing the end of April and if any good coupons come out we are hoping that we can book onboard and get the $100 credit AND use our coupon as when we get back the coupons will be expired. Has anyone ever done this?? Thanks

I think each LA has a different schedule, but I would go to LA location, and make an appointment. Possibly the LA will be there. I highly recommend working with the LA early in the cruise.

Yes, they will accept C&A coupons. LA will just look online and take care of it. They have to be approved...but no hassle or problem for you.

Can you have a reservation on a paticular ship and sailing and then book the same ship and sailing while you are onboard another cruise and then come home and cancel the first one? Don't they see on their computers that the same four names are already booked on the vessel? - Elizabeth

I did this....no problem... Just book 2 new cabins. LA cannot cancel current reservations, so you will have to book different cabins. Then you cancel others when you get home.

Take a look at current cabin prices in your category, because if they have gone up since you booked, there may be no savings to you or it may cost you more.

Can you book more than one stateroom? Do you have to know for sure who is sailing in that other stateroom?

Is the $100 on board credit PER stateroom (so $50pp?).

If booking 2 rooms, will the other room get the same?

You can book one cabin besides yours. 7 night, it's $100 credit per stateroom. Both cabins will get same credit. As far as names, you will need at least one name. I'm fairly certain they will change name after booking, you will just have to make sure to keep the booking number.

You can book one cabin besides yours. 7 night, it's $100 credit per stateroom. Both cabins will get same credit. As far as names, you will need at least one name. I'm fairly certain they will change name after booking, you will just have to make sure to keep the booking number.

What about a 4 night cruise? How much would the onboard credit be then?

We have booked while on board for the past three years and our upcoming cruise was booked with the LA last year. All have been on the Mariner. Our experiences:

First, we had a different LA each time. All were helpful if not warm & fuzzy. We were not disappointed in the service.

The first time around we booked three cabins (yes, three and we got the $100 seapass credit on each of them for a total of $300!!:) ) We also got our Platinum discount for our balcony cabin. As it turned out, we clould not go during the week we had booked, so we actually rebooked it to a different week after we returned home and the credits transferered to the new cruise. You just have to be sure to keep the same BOOKING number so that you get the credit. On this occaision, we also transfered the booking to a local TA and he got the comission on the cruise. In addition, we were not sure of all traveler's names at the time of booking, so we were able to book a couple of "TBA"s. This was because our kids each take a friend and we were not sure if the same ones would be able to go the next time around. We had no problem adding the names at a later date. Also... when we switched weeks we went to a higher priced week, so we wanted to change our cabins (categories & decks) - no problem.

The next time around, we booked on board and left the reservations with RCI instead of transferring to a TA. We had a few issues with our local guy calling us back the year before and RCI will not help you once a TA is involved. We had no hitches dealing with RCI.

As you can see, we have pretty much done every kind of modification except switch ships and there is no problem. You actually CAN switch ships after the fact as long as you keep the same booking number.

Bottom line: You have nothing to lose and a lot to gain by booking on board. You can change the sail date, passenger names, and ships afterward with no penalty. Your cruise is cancellable up until the final payment date with full refund as with any other booking. If there is even a CHANCE that you will be cruising again, it is not a bad idea to go ahead and book while on board. You can change all of the details later if you like. You will have to pay the normal deposit ($250 for seven days), but that is refundable if you change your mind. Actually, since you have all of this flexibility, you can just book any old cabin and week with the LA and then firm it all up when you get home.

We booked on board for the first time last October and overall the LA was pretty good. We already knew the ship, dates, etc., so I think that made it an easier process. Also, we got to her desk a half hour before she arrived the very first day, so we were her first appointment. That probably helped, too! :)

We've booked while on board since it's been offered. You can book more than one cabin, but have to have names to put in those cabins and at least ONE of those people have to actually sail. You will also have to pay the deposit for those cabins.

Last October while we were on the JEWEL we booked three cabins for Feb 08. The cabins we wanted on Mariner, (D1 AFT) we could only get if we booked three people in each cabin, but we only had to put down deposits for two people in each. The LA said that we could cancel those third folks when it comes to final payment. (We've never run into that before)

Also found out that someone that is currently sailing has to be booked...I tried to book a cruise for my nephew (who was not sailing with us), and the LA on the EMPRESS tried to do it, but we were within the 70 day penalty period, so he had to do it himself and didn't get the OBC.

Archived