Poll - Should Jumpers have to pay costs?

TrustNoOneKMC

Hey if they just fall off....and don't cause anyone panic why not let them go.

As I read this kid (35 years old)...he's not talking to anyone...wants to make money on the story...that should only be after after all costs to resue him....including everything....and it should have to be disclosed everywhere ....

looking forward to sailing next week....hugs and have fun all

I would say absolutely yes if they are mentally healthy. However, I also have to wonder, how can anyone who is mentally healthy "jump" from a cruise ship?

If after a psychological evaluation, they are deemed not responsible for their actions, then no they should not have to pay! They should be required to seek help.

-Mike

Exactly what makes up that $72,000 cost?

Fuel?

Otherwise they are just adding up what all the people involved cost, which is a bit disingenuous as their salaries would already be paid whether they are doing something or not? Besides it probably breaks up an otherwise boring day.

So, no, I do not think they should pay it. Just realise that some people are stupid.

Cheers,

Peter

Here in Arizona we have a "stupid motorist law" If you drive across aflooded road way and get stuck, you have to pay to be rescued. I don't see what the differance is. You do something stupid you should be held responsible for your actions.

Here in Arizona we have a "stupid motorist law" If you drive across aflooded road way and get stuck, you have to pay to be rescued. I don't see what the differance is. You do something stupid you should be held responsible for your actions.
What if you forgot your wallet? Or it got washed downstream? :confused:

"Quick, I'm about to get washed away! Help!"

"Love to help you, buddy, but that'll be $2500...will that be cash, or credit?"..(whips out credit card teminal)

"But my wallet floated downstream!"

"That's OK, I'll wait while you go get it..." :eek:

:D:D:D

What if you forgot your wallet? Or it got washed downstream? :confused:

"Quick, I'm about to get washed away! Help!"

"Love to help you, buddy, but that'll be $2500...will that be cash, or credit?"..(whips out credit card teminal)

"But my wallet floated downstream!"

"That's OK, I'll wait while you go get it..." :eek:

:D:D:D

LOL-cute! But I still think they should be held accountable, if it was deliberate. However, the circumstances should be evaluated.

Yes. And I don't see how anyone can fall overboard "accidentally". The railings are too high and unless you climb up it's virtually impossible to go overboard (unless the ship lists tremendously). With very few exceptions, most people who go overboard are drunk beyond reason. It's a personal responsibility. We hold people responsible for anything else they do under the influence, why not this too?

...& a class action suit by the passengers who were inconvenienced "sorry, no port today; drunk overboard..."

You need to read your cruise contract.:rolleyes:

Some "fine" should be imposed. Just like some "fine" should be imposed on all those mountain hikers that decide to "tempt fate" in bad weather and then have to be rescued.

Those mountains should be off limits during bad weather just like swimming off the beaches during strong currents.

It is time that there are some consequences for people's irresponsible behavior.

I agree. If intentional, they should pay the justified costs.

Regarding the $72,000 - Most likely that's the cost of operating the helicopter (not just gas - the cost per hour to run a helicopter is quite high) and perhaps some patrol boats - costs that wouldn't have been incurred had the incident not happened.

I've often had the same attitude about boaters and fishermen who ignore posted small craft warnings and venture into the Gulf of Mexico, get swamped, then the Coast Guard has to launch a C-130, helicopters and patrol boats to look for them. This happens frequently in FL, and probably elsewhere.

Ken

I think that is what insurance is for.....on both sides....yikes how grim to even think up this point!

Just to comment on the insurance briefly, most travel insurance policies don't cover this sort of thing. Every policy I've had has had sort of a "stupid" clause - any accident that happens as a result of your intoxication is not covered. So if this guy did in fact get drunk and jumped, his travel insurance wouldn't cover the costs.

But back to the topic at hand, absolutely he should pay for it! Why should the Coast Guard foot the bill for someone's stupidity? If it had been an accident, no, but when someone just does something stupid - heck, yeah, he should pay!

ETA - Hopefully he'll be blackballed from ever taking a cruise again in the future as well!

Yet, the Coast Guard doesnt agree with most of you. 99.999999% of the time they never get to pull a body out of the water in cases like these. From all reports, they were proud to have saved his life. http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/news.aspx?articleid=147668&zoneid=500

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070317/NEWS01/703170328/1006/BREAKING

Coast Guard officials said Mankamyer, who wasn't wearing a flotation device, was lucky to survive the fall and remain alive in the water.

He faces no charges and will not get billed for rescue workers' efforts.

“For us, it only matters that we’re able to help. We don’t put a price on somebody’s life,” said Petty Officer Jennifer Johnson, a Coast Guard spokeswoman in Miami. “Peo*ple drink, do stupid things and make mistakes on the water. Once he made that mistake, he was a solid search and rescue case for us. Hopefully, he won’t make that mistake again.”

Yes. And I don't see how anyone can fall overboard "accidentally". The railings are too high and unless you climb up it's virtually impossible to go overboard (unless the ship lists tremendously). With very few exceptions, most people who go overboard are drunk beyond reason. It's a personal responsibility. We hold people responsible for anything else they do under the influence, why not this too?

I agree-you have to pretty much be TRYING to go overboard, drunk or sober. I think any money this guy makes selling his story should have to give that money towards the cost of the rescue. And you're right-for all the dingbat daredevils out there who force others to risk their lives to save their sorry aZZes, they sghould have to pay for the cost of the rescue, too. When I was on a local fire dept. here, it always made me angry that people would take their snowmobiles and ice shacks out on the lake, against all the warnings, and then boo-hoo when they go under. Others have to risk their lives for their stupidity. It usually requires calling out several depts. for rescue, and sometimes others get killed doing it. Now are we going to blame the person's mental health for these types of "accidents?" These are deliberate actions on the part of morons.:mad:

Here in Toronto, we have house insurance and you get a break if you have an alarm, but if the alarm is off and your home gets burglarized, then the insurance does not cover.

I agree the "jumper" should pay. What if the people who helped him get hurt or are needed elsewhere and they are busy with this guy who was drunk (of course I don't know the whole story, but reading that he is shopping his story around is making me wonder)

I agree-you have to pretty much be TRYING to go overboard, drunk or sober. I think any money this guy makes selling his story should have to give that money towards the cost of the rescue. And you're right-for all the dingbat daredevils out there who force others to risk their lives to save their sorry aZZes, they sghould have to pay for the cost of the rescue, too. When I was on a local fire dept. here, it always made me angry that people would take their snowmobiles and ice shacks out on the lake, against all the warnings, and then boo-hoo when they go under. Others have to risk their lives for their stupidity. It usually requires calling out several depts. for rescue, and sometimes others get killed doing it. Now are we going to blame the person's mental health for these types of "accidents?" These are deliberate actions on the part of morons.:mad:

I live near Niagara Falls, and often there are daredevils who go over the Falls and they are rescued and then charged.

Okay, considering I know of I think 2 cases where the person was rescued alive... what do you propose for the 99% of those who jump/fall and die... their families are supposed to pay this "fine", or are you only fining those that live? :confused:

Archived