PICS and Review of the Boatyard / Barbados

nh4

Wednesday- Barbados (Boat Yard) <--click for pix

We woke up to another beautiful day docked in Barbados. We took the dock shuttle over to the mall area and asked for a cab to the Boatyard. At the Boatyard, we found out that people paid $3, $4, or $5 for fares all from the same area at port. The nice thing with the boatyard is that they pay for your taxi back to port (we just tipped the driver) starting at 1pm. The Boatyard was $15 /person and included your chair, drink (although this was not ANY drink, it was limited), use of the water toys, rope swing. A small umbrella was a couple of extra dollars (worth it). We were quickly approached by guys trying to get you to rent their jet skis and vendors with jewelry, wood items, “aloe man” and a scarfs, but they thinned out by afternoon. Boatyard had a nice beach, very clean, and the kids enjoyed the rope swing and swimming out to the water trampoline. We didn’t eat there, but had a few drinks... prices on drinks were about the same as the ship. We spent most of the day there and headed back to the ship.

I guess I missed the horse.... but we did see the guy with the little spider monkey (jet ski vendor) ... I think he was making some serious money letting people hold his monkey for pics that day!

We were at the Boatyard just over a wk. ago and liked it a lot. We had been to Barbados before and just wanted a more active beach environment, and someplace w/food and restrooms, etc. It's close to the port and we didn't feel ripped off. Just a word - we were told it was $15 to get in and that came w/return cab, chair and umbrella, w/one free drink. That is all correct EXCEPT if you want an umbrella, it's $2 more. Beach sand is very nice and the water a lovely color w/gentle tide.

• 2 weeks later...
We were at the Boatyard just over a wk. ago and liked it a lot. We had been to Barbados before and just wanted a more active beach environment, and someplace w/food and restrooms, etc. It's close to the port and we didn't feel ripped off. Just a word - we were told it was $15 to get in and that came w/return cab, chair and umbrella, w/one free drink. That is all correct EXCEPT if you want an umbrella, it's $2 more. Beach sand is very nice and the water a lovely color w/gentle tide.

Umbrella definitely worth the $2 to keep the ice from melting as quickly in your frozen drinks :rolleyes:

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE PICS!!!!

We are definitely doing this one in june. Everyone is really excited after seeing these photos. I really appreciate it. I dont know what I would do without cruisecritics members!!! lol

THANX

ps.........IF ANYONE HAS OTHER PICTURES PLEASE SHARE THEM WITH US. WED LOVE TO SEE THE BAR AND EVERYTHING ELSE THEY HAVE THERE.

Does anyone know if they have parasailing at Boatyard or if they have it at any other beach?

There used to be an outfit called Falcon, or The Falcon, that worked up and down the West coast. I've seen their 'chute from Holetown to Rockley.

They used to have a wireless link to the Boatyard if someone wanted their services. Of course, that was a few years ago. It only takes one accident to put many of these operations out of business.

Inquire at the Boatyard and they'll give you the skinny.

(Sunni, do you know if they are still operational?)

-b-

I had emailed the boatyard ahead of time, as we were trying to figure out where the girls could parasail and plan accordingly, but they never responded. When we were there and asked, they said to check with a certain guy - when we asked him, we were told that we could go jetskiing instead (umm ,no, we have one of those at home..lol)

• 2 weeks later...

NH4

Can you walk to the Boatyard or is it far enough away we should taxi?

Do you remember how much the jet ski rentals were? Also is there an age requirement?

BTW: Great pictures, we enjoyed looking at all of them.

We are definitely doing this one in june. Everyone is really excited after seeing these photos. I really appreciate it. I dont know what I would do without cruisecritics members!!! lol

THANX

ps.........IF ANYONE HAS OTHER PICTURES PLEASE SHARE THEM WITH US. WED LOVE TO SEE THE BAR AND EVERYTHING ELSE THEY HAVE THERE.

Try their web site: http://www.theboatyard.com/

We didn't go there in 2006, but several people from our roll call did and enjoyed it. I'm planning on going back on this cruise in 2008 and I think we'll make this a stop.

• 2 weeks later...

THANX

I was there last month, heres my 2 cents.... sit on the right side of the pier, much quieter. Get an Umbrella for $2.00 we got a really big one, well worth it. we walked down the beach toward the left and found a local bar selling cheaper, cold beers with a local flair. My friend and I walked 2 blocks to an internet cafe about $2.00 for 15 mins. cafe sold beer, soda, snacks.... My friend bought 2 bottles of diet coke and carried it through the boatyard gate and they were confiscated until we left. If you bring something in hide it. Very nice place we were not haggled too much. Fun day!

• 3 weeks later...
My friend bought 2 bottles of diet coke and carried it through the boatyard gate and they were confiscated until we left. If you bring something in hide it. Very nice place we were not haggled too much. Fun day!

Hmmmmmmm I'm happy to see that many others enjoy our most favourite Beach Bar in Barbados!!!!! :D The Boatyard!!!:D However don't know if "hiding" drinks is quite the thing you should promote:( Everyone has to make a living and I guess us buying drinks is the whole point. I dint think their prices are expensive...basiclly on par or a lil below what you pay on the Ship. Will be going there soon again...Can't wait!!:)

• 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...

Sept 2015...

Took taxi to one of our favorite beaches.. boatyard.. $6 pp p us tip

At boatyard cost is $12 pp gets you 2 beach chairs, large umbrella. 2 Alcoholic drinks and free ride back to ship . Water is pristine. Clearest I have seen and sand is fine white. Have a pier you can jump off and a rope swing. Got trampoline float and for fee can snorkel with turtles.

We have been to the boatyard twice now and loved it both times. Once with teens and once on our own. Can anyone suggest a different beach that would have a similar set up? Something with bathroom facilities, somewhere to eat and loungers with umbrellas?

Someone asked can you walk to it. The answer is no. One year though we walked from where they dropped us off in town. If asking for directions, some people called it Browns beach.