pier porters ?

i tip these guys $2 a bag. is that too much, too little or just right. i havent had a problem yet so i am figuring it must be ok. although i never seem to get my bags until late or does that mean nothing as far as the porters go?

Dallas airport now has a curb sign for $2 (and I only check one bag). They tell you that is normal now. That's all I tip and have not had a problem. If you are smuggling in a bottle of wine, it might help to tip, but might not. They bring all your luggage to one point to sort it by tag, so you dont want the porter upset at you who brings it thru the xray machine. I might tip extra if I had a bottle of wine in my suitcase.

Dallas airport now has a curb sign for $2 (and I only check one bag).

This is a FEE implemented by the airline. It is NOT a tip. A tip is ADDITIONAL.

This has been hotly debated on Flyertalk.com. The porters/skycaps, etc. get no part of this fee.

If you want your bags to end up at JFK (NYC), NOT JKT (Jakarta Indonesia), I would suggest you tip more than the $2.00 posted at the airport.

The skycaps at the airports are pretty po'd about the fee. People think they are paying/tipping the skycap. They are not. I have seen the skycaps chase people down for the tip. I also wander what happens to some peoples' luggage. My rolling garment bag is generally pushing the maximum weight limit. I just hand the skycap $5.00 and be done with it.

Chris - Your question referred to PIER tips to porters, but somebody always has to go off-topic.

The answer to your specific question is that $1-2 per piece of luggage is the usual amount. If I have two bags, I usually tip $3.

The porters at the pier are not cruiseline employees; they work for the Port Authority of that city. Once they put your bags onto the ship, the cruiseline employees take them to your cabins. The porters are not allowed on the ships.

Chris - Your question referred to PIER tips to porters, but somebody always has to go off-topic.

The answer to your specific question is that $1-2 per piece of luggage is the usual amount. If I have two bags, I usually tip $3.

The porters at the pier are not cruiseline employees; they work for the Port Authority of that city. Once they put your bags onto the ship, the cruiseline employees take them to your cabins. The porters are not allowed on the ships.

You took the words out of my mouth..

I always give them 5.00...that way I know my bags are not going on the wrong ship!!!!!!!

Please don't come down on me. I did not bring the airport charge up. And yes, my post was OT. But to reiterate, the $2.00 airport fee is NOT a tip. Tip is additional. Lots of people are making this mistake. Makes you kind of wonder if that is not one of the reasons so much luggage has gone missing recently on flights.

we haven't tipped airport porters since our 2nd cruise. All it took was for them to try to blackmail us to get my husband's temper up and now he won't tip any cruiseline porter.

And, other than a Costa cruise where we didn't get some of our luggage until I went and hunted it down myself, we have always gotten our baggage quickly, dry, and in one piece.

Of course, my dh is very convincing when he tells the porters that he knows who to come look for if anything does happen to his luggage. ;)

thanks cotton.

We have transfers from the hotel to the pier from Princess, we get our luggage out of the van, hand it over to whom? or do they hand it over since we have purchased the transfers? Do we tip the porter at the port that is loading our luggage? I am not trying to be cheap about it - I just want to make sure I do the right thing since we haven't ever done it this way. We sailed several years ago with RCCL and each time we purchased transfers and left our luggage at our home airport and didn't see it again until it was on the ship in our cabin - so this is new to us.... thanks for your help.

Vanilla,

As they say, "Your actual mileage may vary," but as for us, we just tipped everybody when we were sailing out of Miami on Celebrity Century. Like you, the cruise line picked up us and our bags at the hotel. But because the driver wasn't busy, he took us alone, directly to the pier. So I figured this was worth something. Also, he told us he was doing this after he and his wife had moved to Florida from New York City where he worked near the World Trade Center and was there when it all happened. Then, at the pier, he turned our bags over to the stevadors who put them on the cart that actually goes into the terminal and on the ship. Well, I don't know about you, but I always want our bags to be at our cabin door and not on the dock, so I tipped that guy too. Suffice to say, our bags were at our cabin door not too long after we got into our cabin, which was around 1-ish. So I guess, money talks.

• 2 weeks later...
We have transfers from the hotel to the pier from Princess, we get our luggage out of the van, hand it over to whom? or do they hand it over since we have purchased the transfers? Do we tip the porter at the port that is loading our luggage? I am not trying to be cheap about it - I just want to make sure I do the right thing since we haven't ever done it this way. We sailed several years ago with RCCL and each time we purchased transfers and left our luggage at our home airport and didn't see it again until it was on the ship in our cabin - so this is new to us.... thanks for your help.

Hello. After 4 Med Cruises and 2 Caribbean Cruises. The bigger my tip to the porter the faster I saw my luggage in the cabin room. Luck? Probably, but I do remember not seeing my luggage until actually asking for it around 10:30 pm! It was way down the hall, unclaimed and not sent to my room. This of course I blamed on the lousy cabin steward. His overall tip was minimal at the most - the customer service did not improve through the cruise. Yes, RCCI - Med - Aug 2005.

we haven't tipped airport porters since our 2nd cruise. All it took was for them to try to blackmail us to get my husband's temper up and now he won't tip any cruiseline porter.

And, other than a Costa cruise where we didn't get some of our luggage until I went and hunted it down myself, we have always gotten our baggage quickly, dry, and in one piece.

Of course, my dh is very convincing when he tells the porters that he knows who to come look for if anything does happen to his luggage. ;)

meant it to this remark..sorry

I look at it this way.......and it is JMO..........after spending hours in flight to get to the pier, after spending $3,000 or more to cruise.......what is another $15 or $20 tip to have your bags show up where they are supposed to.........

I call it cheap insurance

I call it smart

I read a long time ago about the importance of tipping the porters to ensure your bags don't end up in the water --- likely urban myth. My DH says I am crazy however I still tip although in Fort Lauderdale the porters move away quickly indicating no tip necessary; not the case in Miami by a long shot.

Kathy

Archived