Friend Charged $600. For 2 To Get Off In Key West Due To Father's Death

We were on Jewel Of The Seas sailing on February 4th.

After we left Ft. Lauderdale, our friend's received a phone

call that her father had unexpectly passed.

They had purchased Travel Guard Insurance,

we were sailing to Key West, so we still had cell phone service.

We were on the phone with Travel Guard to make flight arrangements

for the 2 of them to fly to Kansas City.

Flight from Key West to KCI was $1100.00 for the 2 of them.

We went to talk to Guest Relations to see About getting Off

the ship in Key West. That's when we were told it would cost

$600.00 ($300.00 a piece) to get off of ship,

charges were due to Customs...

After flying home, Our friends still had to drive to Oklahoma City,

as that's where her father lived.

HAS ANYONE ELSE BEEN IN THIS SITUATION???????????????????????????

We Insured the Air & Cruise for $2200.00 actual cost.

So we don't think that Travel Guard will cover the new flight costs of $1100.00 or the $600.00 charges.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED....

Thank you,

Donna

Your friends were charged the fine that the cruiseline had to pay for disembarking passengers that travelled from one US port to another without first stopping at a distant foreign port. It is called the Passenger Services Act from the late 40's. I don't know of any insurance that will cover that. Also insurance only covers the cruise and or air portion of the trip, not the emergency one way travel costs.

I agree with Flagger, I doubt that any insurance will cover the Passenger Services Act fine, however, you should check the Travel Guard insurance, RCL's Cruise Care will cover trip interruption air fare, you may get some relief for the air fare at least.

Sorry to hear of your friends fathers passing. Hopefully the ins will recoup most of her charges. The fine of $300 pp is common, as already said, The Passengers Services Act.....nothing can be done about that until the laws change.

Good thing they were just in Key West and not a foreign port. ;) .......a whole other subject! :eek:

It would be nice if you could update us on the outcome of her refunds.

First - condolences on the loss of your friend's father.

Several years ago we had to fly home from Puerta Vallarta due to my mother's hospitalization. Luckily we had travel insurance. Our insured trip was cruise only. Travel insurance paid for trip interruption and cost of return air fare up to the amount we were insured. Cost was more than the insurance amount but we were happy to get any of our out of pocket costs coverered. Check with Travel Guard....................flight costs may be a covered expense. Good Luck!!

Insurance coverages DO vary, so your friends should check their policy, and apply for reimbursement anyway. They just may get all or some of these costs back.

If you would like to read about the Passenger Services Act (often referred to as {erroneously} the Jones Act, click here: http://www.sealetter.com/Oct-99/alancol.html

There was a consumer report done on a tv station around here about someone who disembarked early because of her son's death. Along the way she signed some paper regarding the charges that could be levied on the cruise operator for passengers disembarking early, and later the woman received a bill for hundreds of dollars to cover that cost because of course that was the paper she signed in the middle of her grief and wanting to get home to her family!

The reporter found that there is some sort of form you can fill out about extenuating circumstances requiring you to disembark early and those fees may be lifted but it needs to be done in a timely fashion. In that woman's case, she didn't even receive the "bill" from the cruise line until 9 months later so she couldn't contest it. With the reporter's inquiries, the cruise line "graciously" agreed to pay those fees on the woman's behalf.

Sorry I don't remember more about it but it's something to look into.

I would add, it would be a good idea to contact your local US Congressperson. This is just the sort of thing they are supposed to help you with. These are obviously extenuating circumstances, congress has staff to help with these sorts of things. Good luck!

Theron

It's a silly and outdated law that should be abolished. It's not as though if they did abolish it, tons of people would use RCL as a "ferry" from Miami to Key West. I'm sure the cruise lines hate this law as it seems they are gouging the passenger but I imagine Uncle Sam is getting this money, not RCL.

My husband and I were on the Grand Jan 27 in the W Carribean. We got on the ship on Saturday. Tuesday night, husband's mother died. We luckily were on our way to Belize which was the closest port with an airport. We did NOT have trip insurance - we learned the hard way. Princess could not have been more congenial and helpful to us to aid us in hurrying off the ship, catching the tender, calling cabs, etc. We were not charged anything for the early disembarkation. Of course, we did lose the cost of the trip which was our fault for not getting insurance...and it cost us nearly half the amount to fly home under the circumstances when we did.

The Grand was great while we were on it, and we plan to return. Our thanks to this cruise line for their help at a very unfortunate and sad time.

I dont know why this should be any different for cruiselines than it is for airlines. There are several foreign carriers that fly between US cities enroute to their foreign destination that are not permitted to disembark passengers in the stopover us city (though they can embark passengers).

I dont know why this should be any different for cruiselines than it is for airlines. There are several foreign carriers that fly between US cities enroute to their foreign destination that are not permitted to disembark passengers in the stopover us city (though they can embark passengers).

I thought the new Open Skies agreement ended that?

For a continent with a free trade agreement, it seems the only ones who benefit form that are governments and big corporations. The rest of us get dinged everytime we step outside the lines.

It's a silly and outdated law that should be abolished. It's not as though if they did abolish it, tons of people would use RCL as a "ferry" from Miami to Key West. I'm sure the cruise lines hate this law as it seems they are gouging the passenger but I imagine Uncle Sam is getting this money, not RCL.

Canada has a similar law. The fine is part of the Pssenger's service law going back to 1880's and a similar applies to the transportation of goods between two US ports. People have been asking it to change for years....it won't. The Coast Guard administers the adjudication of the fines. You can with a freedom of information request find out whether the fine has actually been levied. The suggestion to contact your congressperson/senator is a good one. Most of the time with a death they will forgo the fine(but not always)....

Condolonces on your loss.

My husband and I were on the Grand Jan 27 in the W Carribean. We got on the ship on Saturday. Tuesday night, husband's mother died. We luckily were on our way to Belize which was the closest port with an airport. We did NOT have trip insurance - we learned the hard way. Princess could not have been more congenial and helpful to us to aid us in hurrying off the ship, catching the tender, calling cabs, etc. We were not charged anything for the early disembarkation. Of course, we did lose the cost of the trip which was our fault for not getting insurance...and it cost us nearly half the amount to fly home under the circumstances when we did.

The Grand was great while we were on it, and we plan to return. Our thanks to this cruise line for their help at a very unfortunate and sad time.

The reason your case is different is you travelled outside the US already.

The reason there was a charge for the OP is they travelled between two US ports without touching foreign territory yet. That´s why the Passenger Service Act came into play and RCCL had to charge this money from them to cover the fine they´ll be paying for violation of the Passenger Service Act.

What happenes when a passenger is left in Key West because they do not make it back to the ship on time? Or, is this a case when the ship waits for the passenger? :rolleyes:

I´m just guessing here, mut I would bet the US government will still charge the fine and the cruise line will get it from the passenger.

I have no doubt they are fined and the cruise line which has their clothes will get paid....The rule is fine first, remit second. Missing the ship is not normally excused(traffic is not considered an acceptable excuse). even when its a death or illness it has to be someone close to the traveler or they won't remit the fine either.

The reason your case is different is you travelled outside the US already.

The reason there was a charge for the OP is they travelled between two US ports without touching foreign territory yet. That´s why the Passenger Service Act came into play and RCCL had to charge this money from them to cover the fine they´ll be paying for violation of the Passenger Service Act.

Its even aviolation if you HAVE visited a foreign port unless its a distant foreign port(Aruba is a distant foreign port none others in the carribean). Unless you have traveled to a distant foreign port you must return to the US port you embarked from unless you get off in a foreign port. As you correctly point out, if you get off in a foreign port this doesn't apply unless the foreign port has some other rule(there are some restrictions in Europe).

example you leave New York and first goes to Canada, the ship stops in Boston can you get off? Not on your life without the fine-ask the people from Boston who came to NY to go to Bermuda, went to Canada because of a Hurricaine and tried to get off in Boston....

Last year we were on the Adventure out of San Juan when we received a call that my sister who had cancer had taken a turn for the worst.We went down to the pursers desk and they couldnt do enough for us.They allowed us to use the phone to call home at no charge.They also asked what airline we were using and we gave them all the info and they checked on flights for us.There was never any mention of the Passenger act.

I agree they should contact their congressman .

Last year we were on the Adventure out of San Juan when we received a call that my sister who had cancer had taken a turn for the worst.We went down to the pursers desk and they couldnt do enough for us.They allowed us to use the phone to call home at no charge.They also asked what airline we were using and we gave them all the info and they checked on flights for us.There was never any mention of the Passenger act.

I agree they should contact their congressman .

Ships sailing out of Puerto Rico received an exemption to it. The reasoning was to increase the tourist trade there.

I appreciate Everyone that gave me Info regarding

The Passengers Services Act.

I know that Travel Guard will not repay my friends for more than the $2200.00 that was covered for Price of the cruise & air.

I helped them with gathering all the Info to file the Claim.

I see that several of the Posts were deleted,

It was Wonderful to read that Cruise Critic Members were so Compassionate

with only One Bad Apple that was Insensitive...

I'll Post the results of Insurance

and I will help my friends to contact our Congressman.

I just don't think Airlines should charge Pasengers Top Fares

When there is a Emergency, at least with a Death Certificate,

Airlines should Refund the Over The Top Fare.

Which I plan to contact the Airline.

Thanks again,

Donna

You are right, they should not charge the fares but they do and can. I worked as a TA for years and would call and beg, plead, everything and it is almost impossible to get them to bend.

They MIGHT give your friends a voucher for future travel but I would not count on it. They do offer breavement fares but you have to provide the funeral home information.

Good luck on this, sometimes you can get things done and it never hurts to try, you are only out a little time and you might just get some compassionate soul.

Its even aviolation if you HAVE visited a foreign port unless its a distant foreign port(Aruba is a distant foreign port none others in the carribean). Unless you have traveled to a distant foreign port you must return to the US port you embarked from unless you get off in a foreign port.

In the caribbean, Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao are all considered distant foreign ports.

What happenes when a passenger is left in Key West because they do not make it back to the ship on time? Or, is this a case when the ship waits for the passenger? :rolleyes:

One time we were on Majesty of the Seas in Key West. We were all set to depart, but we waited and waited. Finally the captain came on after almost an hour of waiting and said a crew member had not returned and they were waiting for him.

Well, it must have been a very HIGH ranking crew member or I don't think Majesty would have waited even a minute. We joked that it was navigator or second in command. It sure wasn't the dish washer.

Hubby and I watched the dock and no one ever arrived. Finally we shoved off. I guess they gave up on the crew member.

Archived