San Juan Airport

Hi all,

I have read on previous postings that the San Juan Airport can get extremely busy on departure day from your cruise. Our flight isn't until 5:55pm that day. I'm trying to decide what time we should get to the airport, 2 hours prior will that give us enough time? What were your experiences in the past with the airport? Thanks for any info you can pass on. Anne

The airport was packed when we left in September. Our flight was mid-afternoon and they were dealing with stand-by passengers from earlier in the day. I don’t know why things were delayed that day. It must have had something to do with the typical overbooking and some weather problems at some other airports.

Because of the possibility that your seat might be given to someone else I’d check in a little earlier in the day. Can you do an online check in and print your boarding pass the day before departure on the ship? That might give you more time in San Juan.

It depends on who you are flying with. US airways was a mess going and coming from SJ for our cruise the 1st week of March. I read on CC that it has not improved lately. I would go 3 hrs. before if you are flying with them. With Jet Blue for our Feb. cruise and Delta for the Oct/Nov 06 one, both out of SJ, there were no problems so 2 hrs. would suffice.

I was in San Juan in February and the airport was crazy busy. We waited at least 1 hour just to check in and it was very disorganized and hectic. Granted, it was winter break week. Give yourself plenty of time. It is the only airport I know of where you can buy alcohol at the duty free shops at the gates and carry it on board( so you don't have to worry about breakage in your check ins). That was the only "plus" of the San Juan airport.

We were in San Juan airport on Sunday. We heard several people saying they were in line 2 1/2 hrs just to get boarding passes and check luggage.Thankfully we flew Delta and we got our boarding passes and they took our luggage on the ship. You might check in to this option, if available. Have a great cruise, we did

THe last time I was out of SJU, it was a MESS. We sat in the check in line for 2 hours, and another hour and a half in security. Finally I had to find someone from the airlines to bump us in line, or we would have missed our flight!

Our flight was at 230pm, and we barely made it. THey had already called all rows when we got to the gate, and we got to the airport by 930am!!!:mad:

It has been a mess all 3 times I have sailed from SJU, so in no hurry to do it again!

About mid-week on your cruise you will get a form in your stateroom that allows you to check 2 bags per person for $10.00 on either AA or Delta. I don't think any other airlines participate, but I could be mistaken.

Used this option on the AOS when we disembarked on 3/25 at San Juan.

We collected our bags once off the ship, walked through Customs and then gave the AA baggage attendant our bags. They then take them to the airport and the next time you see them is at your destination airport. You will also have your boarding passes.

We also had a late flight and we took a cab from the pier to Old San Juan for a easy day of touring and then onto SJU. No problems at the airport, but there were only two ships in port that day. I suspect most folks left on earlier flights.

The $20.00 bucks we paid for mine and my wife's total of four bags was money well spent.

Two years ago when we sailed Serenade I was determined to never set foot in this airport again. I have posted the reasons in the past and don't have time to go through them again.

Last month when we sailed Adventure it was exactly the opposite. Our luggage was in baggage claim before we were and we were in a cab within a half hour after arrival. Coming home our flight was at 6:45 PM. We used the A.A. check-in on the ship and gave them our luggage outside of customs. When we got to the airport in the afternoon it took appromimately 15 minutes from the door to get to the gate. I never would have believed it after my first encounter with the place.

About mid-week on your cruise you will get a form in your stateroom that allows you to check 2 bags per person for $10.00 on either AA or Delta. I don't think any other airlines participate, but I could be mistaken.

Used this option on the AOS when we disembarked on 3/25 at San Juan.

We collected our bags once off the ship, walked through Customs and then gave the AA baggage attendant our bags. They then take them to the airport and the next time you see them is at your destination airport. You will also have your boarding passes.

We also had a late flight and we took a cab from the pier to Old San Juan for a easy day of touring and then onto SJU. No problems at the airport, but there were only two ships in port that day. I suspect most folks left on earlier flights.

The $20.00 bucks we paid for mine and my wife's total of four bags was money well spent.

Wow, will definitely take advantage of AA's taking our luggage. I wasn't aware I could do that. So they will actually take our bags to the airport and we don't have to check them in at the airport. They do all that at the Pier and give you your boarding passes too? Wow, sounds like a deal I shouldn't pass up. Thanks all for the info!

SJ airport is the one place where they were going to charge us a hefty fee for having a suitcase over 50 pounds (ok, so on this cruise to Aruba I bought some stuff from Holland, and they were HEAVY. So at 90 pounds for one suitcase definitely my own fault). We were there 4 hours before the flight, but it took us that long to hurry and buy another bag, repack everything, and get back in line. :D

Hopefully this won't apply to you. :p

Wow, will definitely take advantage of AA's taking our luggage. I wasn't aware I could do that. So they will actually take our bags to the airport and we don't have to check them in at the airport. They do all that at the Pier and give you your boarding passes too? Wow, sounds like a deal I shouldn't pass up. Thanks all for the info!

We used this service on AA and it worked out great. Others have posted about theft when they have used this service. Just don’t pack any valuables in your luggage and you should have no problems. :)

We used this service on AA and it worked out great. Others have posted about theft when they have used this service. Just don’t pack any valuables in your luggage and you should have no problems. :)

Thanks for the advice Tradle, we never put anything of value in our luggage. It's always in our carryons. I have one other question for you though....right now we are booked in coach class and will get our boarding passes for coach class. But I may want to upgrade us to first class if there's seats available. Do you think that I could do that at our gate or would I have to wait in line at the ticket agent to do so?

i have gone through SJU twice now and the only good thing that i can think of is well nothing. i have been to many airports and none (even Newark and LaGuardia) compare to how bad this one is.

the people working there are horrbile, give your self at least 3 hours, since if you are stuck in security and your plane is boarding they wont pull you through so you have a real good chance of missing your flight.

last summer we flew continental from SJU to Newark, there are several flights back and forth daily, spread out, well this time there were 19 people on our flight still in security and SJU held the plane for 19 people for around or over 1.5 hours, the next flight to newark was about to board when we left, all i know was our plane was filled with many angry people who missed connections thanks to SJU.

I have been reading some very negative reviews about the service in San Juan with re guards to Jet Blue and US Airways.

We will be flying home on Monday after our cruise on AA. What kind of service should we expect? What time should we be at the airport? One person in our group has to fly with Continetal(SP). Is there an issues with thier service?

Thank you for your response..we leave on 4-27-07 for the AOS on 4-29-07 flying from California...

I fly to Boston out of San Juan on USAirways on 4/14 off the Serenade.

I just called USAirways to ask if they particpate in this check-in program that others are writing about. THEY DO!

It's an RCCL managed program in partnership with the airlines. The USAirways rep said there would be two packages offered onboard RCCL. 1) Cruise only (meaning you provide your own ground transportation to the airport). For $10 per person, you check in, get boarding passes, and give them your luggage. This is what we'll be doing, since we're cabbing it to the airport.

2) Cruise and transportation (meaning you book ground transfer to airport through RCCL). I'm not doing this so I didn't get more info. Sorry. Obviously more money and more organized since you are on a chartered bus. More waiting too I think.

I'm not sure how far into the cruise you make the arrangement, but ultimately the $10pp charge goes on your SeaPass.

I'm not sure how far into the cruise you make the arrangement, but ultimately the $10pp charge goes on your SeaPass.

When we returned on Adventure we had to make the arrangements by 5 or 6PM, I can't remember which, on Friday night for our return on Sunday.

SJU is not as bad as MCO was on our last departure from MCO (via AirTran). Problems w/SJU: TSA uses the "puff" security check which greatly slows the screening process; hence, slow/long lines. Not enuf seating. Not enough eat options (the one where u can get a nosh is pricey / limited). We will fly US Air which is horrible, no matter the WhatWhereWhen! PHL is non stop w/good schedule. I don't believe US participates in the cruise-baggage problem, so that's $20 $aved. I like to get off early / check in early; get thru TSA b4 the lines form and get a seat b4 I am forced to sit on the floor. Try to get the 1st flight out after noon as there always seems to be cancellations/delays. Fire up the IPOD, read a good book and Cell Phone calls are do-able w/o xtra fees! I think they have WiFi, too..... maybe someone else knows the answer to this question???

It is definitely worth doing. We did this with United (AA, Delta and United are the only airlines currently participating in this program) last month from Serenade. We arrived at the airport and headed through security check while everyone else was getting their boarding passes and checking luggage. Piece of cake. When I went back out of the terminal (for other reasons) and had to go back through the security check it took almost 45 minutes. I would give yourself 3 hours just in case if you don't have boarding passes in hand.

Thanks for the advice Tradle, we never put anything of value in our luggage. It's always in our carryons. I have one other question for you though....right now we are booked in coach class and will get our boarding passes for coach class. But I may want to upgrade us to first class if there's seats available. Do you think that I could do that at our gate or would I have to wait in line at the ticket agent to do so?

We always do it at the ticket agent. We also call the day before to see if there are seats available first!

Archived