Kids in the Solarium

I fell in love with the Solarium on Radiance in Alaska and that was a cold summer. An amazing observation is some very hearty kids still used the outside pools. Mr Ula and I bundled up would watch them in amazement.

Kids were allowed in the Solarium due to weather I just worried when they would dive. That is not a diving pool. In fact I shared with a parent whose kids were diving into the pool a true story. A boy I went to school with dove into a non diving pool, he broke his neck on the bottom and ended up in a wheel chair. Sometimes rules are for safety and not control.

The Solarium is a nice place, but is more set up for adults. I would kind of wonder about kids who want to hang there. If they do not want to interact they do have cabins.

I remember a couple years ago that kids were allowed in the solaruim. No one complaned about us. But then they had the rule about no kids under 16. We were so dissapointed but us kids could still come in and eat. My sister and her friends would go to the solaruim and eat lunch in their almost everyday of the cruise!

One of the main reasons I decided to go with RCCL was because of an actual non-smoking and adult only area!!! During the day I usually just lie out in the sun all day, my utter relaxation....to be able to do that relax , peace and quiet and clean air......believe me, my idea of paradise on my vacation....

Let us have our one respite away from the smokers and noisy children...PLEASE!!!

One of the main reasons I decided to go with RCCL was because of an actual non-smoking and adult only area!!! During the day I usually just lie out in the sun all day, my utter relaxation....to be able to do that relax , peace and quiet and clean air......believe me, my idea of paradise on my vacation....

Let us have our one respite away from the smokers and noisy children...PLEASE!!!

not all children are noisy

I accept that not all children are noisy, but when around a pool I think it is difficult even for the quietest child not to make some noise, and that is perfectly understandable, hence why there are other pool areas....Children have a lot of areas to play as well as many activities on board, so please honor our request, and RCCLs' to have just this one quiet place for adults ONLY.

We all work very hard to save and pay for these trips, so let us also enjoy our vacation that we truly deserve. When you are older and have to work to pay for your vacation, then you will understand more I hope.

i think grumpy old women like you should go on an adult only ship!Not all parents are like you say and not all kids are either.Do you know that children pay oh yes they have to pay nearly as much as an adult for their cruise.Last time we cruised it wasn't nice enough weather to use the outdoor pool so it would have been nice to be able to use the covered pool.

No, most of them don't pay.

Their parents do.

Big difference.

We've worked, we've paid for the cruise, and we deserve one pool with peace and quiet.

And if there were a reasonably priced adult-only ship, I'd be on it!

Looks like another 12 year old listening to their parents when people gripe about kids. "go on a cruise for old people", "let the kids have fun". I think people should leave their spoiled brats at home and let them really suffer for the summer, make them get a job.

LMAO So true!!!

I still like the post I read a long time ago that said they liked children as long as they were served with a nice mushroom gravy. :D

Or some fava beans and a nice Chianti. ;)

Quick... name that flick!

i miss when kids were allowed in the pool in the solarium.:(

And this little rant, whine and tantrum in exactly why I am very happy children your age are not allowed in the solarium.

Silence of the Lambs.

Wow, my OP has legs!:D

I just have to share 1 experience from my most recent cruise (Vision of the Seas, Repositioning from L.A. to Vancouver):

On the 2nd day we had really rough seas. I mean really rough. They put out barf bags in the stairwells and half our dinner table was empty because people were too sick to eat.

That day, I was sitting by the solarium pool and the rough seas were making even the pool water rough. The pool water was splashing right over the sides, showering the first row of chairs on either side. The floors were wet and the water was actually washing from one side to the other as the ship rocked.

A few people were swimming in the pool, but they were mostly "body surfing" in the waves. They were shouting "Whoooa!" as they got washed from one of the pool to the other, but it sounded like they were having fun. It made me think, "Wow, now I know where they got the idea of a wave pool for Freedom."

Anyhoo... the water was really rough. Hopefully, you got that by now. It was so rough that when my boyfriend said that he might want to go in, I warned him, "You'd better be careful." And he's a good swimmer. But I don't know how good of a swimmer he'd be if he got his head slammed into a tile wall or something.

And then, here comes this little girl, age 5 at the most, walking toward the pool, holding her tube around her waist. :eek:

Everyone in the pool area was watching her - thinking maybe she wasn't going to go in the pool, maybe her parents were about to call her away. But no, she went right over to the pool, slipped down the stairs and started getting jolted from one side of the pool to the other. She was SCREAMING. The people that were in the pool were trying to get to her to somehow pull her out. The pool attendant came and had to basically lay on his stomach on the side of the pool to reach her and pull her out by her arm.

All through this, you could tell, everyone was looking around the pool like "Where are her parents???" Finally, the pool attendant (who is not a trained lifeguard, I'm sure) is holding this screaming crying little girl, and he's looking all around.

And finally the woman a few chairs down from me looks up, takes her headphones off and is like "Oh, gee, my daughter." She got up and got her daughter. And rushed out of the pool area while everyone gave her the evil eye.

I'm not saying that the reason why kids shouldn't be allowed in the solarium is because they can't swim or they might get hurt. But I am saying that parents who don't monitor their kids or follow the rules or set an example to their children to follow rules are a certain type of person - bad parents.

And she's probably suing Royal Caribbean as we speak. Because they're also the type of people who don't take responsibility for their own, or their children's actions.

And guess what else... then they closed the pool. Because one person breaking the rules ruins it for everyone.

And the whole time I was thinking, "I am posting this to my 'Kids in the Solarium' thread when I get home!"

When our kids were young they always cruised with us. I'm sure others have posted this (I only read this page and page one :o ), I have terrific kids that I'll take anywhere they are welcome.

But, when they were too young, they were not welcome in the solarium or adult pool areas and they were not welcome in the specialty restaurants. Those were the times my husband and I enjoyed time together without kids, that is what they have the kids clubs for.

I fully support and respect a family that wants to stick together throughout the entire cruise vacation. It does not entitle a single person to ignore the rules that are in place for everyone. The vast majority of the rest of the ship is available to them.

But, as some on else pointed out, why in the heck do some ships have the pool grill in the solarium :confused:

Wow, my OP has legs!:D

I just have to share 1 experience from my most recent cruise (Vision of the Seas, Repositioning from L.A. to Vancouver):

On the 2nd day we had really rough seas. I mean really rough. They put out barf bags in the stairwells and half our dinner table was empty because people were too sick to eat.

That day, I was sitting by the solarium pool and the rough seas were making even the pool water rough. The pool water was splashing right over the sides, showering the first row of chairs on either side. The floors were wet and the water was actually washing from one side to the other as the ship rocked.

A few people were swimming in the pool, but they were mostly "body surfing" in the waves. They were shouting "Whoooa!" as they got washed from one of the pool to the other, but it sounded like they were having fun. It made me think, "Wow, now I know where they got the idea of a wave pool for Freedom."

Anyhoo... the water was really rough. Hopefully, you got that by now. It was so rough that when my boyfriend said that he might want to go in, I warned him, "You'd better be careful." And he's a good swimmer. But I don't know how good of a swimmer he'd be if he got his head slammed into a tile wall or something.

And then, here comes this little girl, age 5 at the most, walking toward the pool, holding her tube around her waist. :eek:

Everyone in the pool area was watching her - thinking maybe she wasn't going to go in the pool, maybe her parents were about to call her away. But no, she went right over to the pool, slipped down the stairs and started getting jolted from one side of the pool to the other. She was SCREAMING. The people that were in the pool were trying to get to her to somehow pull her out. The pool attendant came and had to basically lay on his stomach on the side of the pool to reach her and pull her out by her arm.

All through this, you could tell, everyone was looking around the pool like "Where are her parents???" Finally, the pool attendant (who is not a trained lifeguard, I'm sure) is holding this screaming crying little girl, and he's looking all around.

And finally the woman a few chairs down from me looks up, takes her headphones off and is like "Oh, gee, my daughter." She got up and got her daughter. And rushed out of the pool area while everyone gave her the evil eye.

I'm not saying that the reason why kids shouldn't be allowed in the solarium is because they can't swim or they might get hurt. But I am saying that parents who don't monitor their kids or follow the rules or set an example to their children to follow rules are a certain type of person - bad parents.

And she's probably suing Royal Caribbean as we speak. Because they're also the type of people who don't take responsibility for their own, or their children's actions.

And guess what else... then they closed the pool. Because one person breaking the rules ruins it for everyone.

And the whole time I was thinking, "I am posting this to my 'Kids in the Solarium' thread when I get home!"

I fully agree with just about everything you have posted, but they probably closed the pool because the water was getting too rough, not because someone broke the "adults only" rule. I have been on several cruises where sea conditions made it necessary for them to close and drain the pools until things improved. The fact that some adults were body-surfing in the pool and enjoying themselves doesn't lessen the cruiseline's liability and they are interested in keeping all passengers safe (sometimes in spite of themselves)

i think grumpy old women like you should go on an adult only ship!Not all parents are like you say and not all kids are either.Do you know that children pay oh yes they have to pay nearly as much as an adult for their cruise.Last time we cruised it wasn't nice enough weather to use the outdoor pool so it would have been nice to be able to use the covered pool.

My such a nasty response. You don't know that I am old, and I'm certainly not grumpy (except when people like you are so obviously rude). I never once mentioned parents, so perhaps you'd like to tell me what it is that I'm supposed to have said "all parents" are like? (BTW, I am a parent.) I didn't say all kids are bad or rude or annoying or anything else. You've read an interesting generalization into my statement that most kids are self-centered and feel a sense of entitlement. That's pretty normal and part of what we're supposed to learn to "get over" as we grow up.

How much kids pay has nothing to do with this either. I pay full fare, but you don't see me whining that I'm not allowed into the kids program or facilities. And some of those facilities look pretty cool.

Yes, during bad weather, the Solarium pool (on ships which have the retractable cover; not all do) has posted hours for families with kids. If your cruise had bad weather and a covered Solarium on the ship, then you should have had certain hours available. If you didn't, that is a shame.

Please leave your nasty attitude and insults "at home" next time you post. Personal attacks are not allowed on the forums.

(BTW, you say that "kids pay oh yes they have to pay." I know of no kids who pay for their cruises--Their parents do.)

beachchick

Archived