Kids in the Solarium

Kids are allowd in the solaruim just as long as they dont go in the pool. They just sit down and eat and talk with their friends. Their is no rule against that.

That's not correct in the Solariums which do not have food available. No kids are allowed into the Solariums on the Voyager class ships. If the Freedom class ships have no food stations in the Solariums, the rule would be the same. Kids are not allowed in there to hang out, not even with their parents. I don't know the rules for the Radiance and Vision class Solariums, but completely agree that it was a bonehead move for RCI to put the food stations in there.

beachchick

i have been on lots of the ships from rci and they let teens (14&15) just talk and hang out. no one cared. we came in the solarium for lunch a lot and just sat down and ate.

Surely there are other places for you to hang out. Be assured that if you were there when I was there, I would have you removed. No teen hangout in the Solarium, why is that so hard for you to understand?

Don't you all realize that you are arguing with a 12 year old?? If you've had kids, especially girls, you realize that all 12 year olds have all the answers and are never wrong!

Heck... The boys are just as bad. I have a nearly 13 year old and a 14 year old and some days SERIOUSLY consider sending them off to boarding school.

That's why I asked where else we could escape besides the Solarium? :D

I'm confused -- are kids allowed in the Solarium, but not the pool? Or are they restricted from the Solarium entirely? I always thought it was the whole space. On the Rhapsody a couple of weeks ago DH & I stayed aboard in Cozumel and watched all 5 grandsons, so their parents could have some time to themselves ashore.

Since it was a port day, the ship was nearly empty. Of course the kids wanted hot dogs & fries for lunch (which were NOT being served in the Windjammer that day) so we ordered from the Solarium Cafe. Thinking kids were not allowed in Solarium at all, DH & I took turns watching them at a table in the Windjammer while the other adult made several trips precariously balancing trays of food & drinks from the Solarium Cafe. A ship's OFFICER must have seen us struggling, because he came over and told us we could have all eaten at a table in the Solarium -- just as long we didn't allow the kids to get into the pool!

Don't you all realize that you are arguing with a 12 year old?? If you've had kids, especially girls, you realize that all 12 year olds have all the answers and are never wrong!

More to the point, haven't you got better things to do with your time than to try and argue and score points off a 12 year old :rolleyes: Some people on this board will do anything to make a point - if this was real life would you even consider getting into a big discussion with a kid over something like this. :confused:

I'm confused -- are kids allowed in the Solarium, but not the pool? Or are they restricted from the Solarium entirely? I always thought it was the whole space. On the Rhapsody a couple of weeks ago DH & I stayed aboard in Cozumel and watched all 5 grandsons, so their parents could have some time to themselves ashore.

Since it was a port day, the ship was nearly empty. Of course the kids wanted hot dogs & fries for lunch (which were NOT being served in the Windjammer that day) so we ordered from the Solarium Cafe. Thinking kids were not allowed in Solarium at all, DH & I took turns watching them at a table in the Windjammer while the other adult made several trips precariously balancing trays of food & drinks from the Solarium Cafe. A ship's OFFICER must have seen us struggling, because he came over and told us we could have all eaten at a table in the Solarium -- just as long we didn't allow the kids to get into the pool!

I think it all goes back to the parents. My 9 year old has cruised with us since he was 7, and he has eaten in the Solarium many times, but he respects the rules and does not swim. If we chose to use the Solarium for swimming, he would bring a book or his gameboy and have some downtime while we swam in the grown-up pool. :)

Its about the PARENTS. We are not perfect by any means but we do teach our child to respect the rules.

That's not correct in the Solariums which do not have food available. No kids are allowed into the Solariums on the Voyager class ships. If the Freedom class ships have no food stations in the Solariums, the rule would be the same. Kids are not allowed in there to hang out, not even with their parents. I don't know the rules for the Radiance and Vision class Solariums, but completely agree that it was a bonehead move for RCI to put the food stations in there.

beachchick

EXACTLY!

Freedom class does not have any food service at them (just a bar on the Freedom class) so they did not allow kids in the solarium at all.

What a joyous place. :D

Surely there are other places for you to hang out. Be assured that if you were there when I was there, I would have you removed. No teen hangout in the Solarium, why is that so hard for you to understand?

I'm pretty sure that you are allowed in the Solarium when you are 16 years old, so if someone is 15 are you REALLY going to be able to tell the difference?

Great Pennsylvanian's Think Alike? Or perhaps, Gorgeous PTA's?

I'll take Gorgeous. :)

Enjoying your vacation Carol?

'

Does this apply to Native Pennsylvanians as well?

I just do not understand the "need" for some kids to be in adult areas? Why do some parents feel that their kids belong there? It really bothers me. More than it should.

Yeah, me too. And I'm bothered that I'm bothered, know what I mean? The 12 year old girl who has been posting in this thread is so very vocal about her need/desire/right to be in the Solarium. It's just all so Twilight Zone for me. ;)

Actually, I'm not bothered, that I'm bothered. I am bugged that it seems to come up over and over again. Yes, some twelve year olds are articulate and well mannered and some adults are idiots, but it's a simple rule. I don't go to AO, unless I'm picking up my kids. The Solarium is a refuge of peace and it should be.

Yeah, me too. And I'm bothered that I'm bothered, know what I mean? The 12 year old girl who has been posting in this thread is so very vocal about her need/desire/right to be in the Solarium. It's just all so Twilight Zone for me. ;)

To me, it sounded more like entitlement and that's what bothered me.

Thank you. I take comfort in the fact that Alzheimer's is not forgetting where your keys are, but what your keys are for.

Oh, that is good! I'll really have to remember that :D .

Back to the reason for this thread:

I too wish the solarium was for 21+. My children (ages 14 and 17) will NOT be allowed in the solarium under orders from mom when we take our cruise next month aboard Freedom. Yes, I know a 17 year old is *allowed* to be there, but in my book she is NOT an adult, and so is not to be in the solarium with the adults. We are there to get away from the kids for awhile, and that includes my own ;) . There are plenty of other places for them to go and enjoy their free time - have at it!

......the pool attendant could "announce" over a speaker of some sort that children were not allowed in the Solarium pool. That would not only bring it to the attention of the parents (assuming they didn't know, which I doubt) but it would bring it to the attention of all of the people in the pool area. It might keep the parents from trying it again. It would also keep the attendant from having to confront the people who most often will probably argue.

Guess that's the cowards way out but I feel for the attendants having to deal with these people but I also want people to follow rules.

I think we oldsters should run in a pack and jump into the Kid's pool, wearing depends. That should give inconsiderate parents quite a hint. ;)

Hey, I REALLY like your thinking.

To me, it sounded more like entitlement and that's what bothered me.

Yes, and I suppose, in her 12 year old mind, she believes she and her friends are well-behaved enough to be in the Solarium (but not to swim - only to eat, she says). The thing is, just because no one said anything to her on that trip doesn't make it right, or mean it is acceptable, and I think she needs to realize that.

I'm looking forward to giving Liberty's Solarium a try next month. :)

Archived