Raw Oysters & Sushi???

SakeDad

I have read here there is "some" sushi but have not seen any good reviews of it. I can eat TONS of good sushi and raw oysters, but California rolls are a total waste of sushi rice as far as I'm concerned.

As we are cruising Alaska I was wondering what the chances are of good raw oysters and wonderful sushi?? Or should I eat my fill in Vegas and Seattle before I leave?:rolleyes:

Nathan, All I can say is stick with the sushi we have here in Vegas unless you can find a good restaurant in Seattle before you board (which I hear there is one;) ) Everyone knows how much I love the Oosterdam but it definitely is not for the sliced rolls (California Rolls) in the Lido. Still the best in our area is "I Love Sushi" although there is another new one up on Eastern on the otherside of the street called Sushi Club which was not too bad. But don't bother with Kaizen (Eastern south of St Rose), way over priced and the fish was not fresh. BTW have you noticed how many Sushi places we have with in 2 miles on Eastern?:)

Oh my, you want good sushi...go to Yoshi Sushi in Victoria...excellent!

Raw oysters at the Oyster Bar near the Empress Hotel...also, in Victoria OR, across the blue bridge to Spinnakers for their raw oysters.

Enjoy !

Nathan, All I can say is stick with the sushi we have here in Vegas unless you can find a good restaurant in Seattle before you board (which I hear there is one;) ) Everyone knows how much I love the Oosterdam but it definitely is not for the sliced rolls (California Rolls) in the Lido. Still the best in our area is "I Love Sushi" although there is another new one up on Eastern on the otherside of the street called Sushi Club which was not too bad. But don't bother with Kaizen (Eastern south of St Rose), way over priced and the fish was not fresh. BTW have you noticed how many Sushi places we have with in 2 miles on Eastern?:)

Lisa, you HAVE to go to my FAVORITE in Vegas right there on Eastern, in the same center as Carraba's. It's Inaka Sushi and has all-you-can-eat lunch and dinner for $19.95!!:D It's NOT a buffet, you can order anything off the very large menu including a choice of about 30 different rolls. My favorite is kiss-the-ass roll! Everything is made to order and fresh and wonderful!!! Oh, and Monday-Thursday you get a free bottle of hot sake!:rolleyes:

Raw oysters at the Oyster Bar near the Empress Hotel...also, in Victoria OR, across the blue bridge to Spinnakers for their raw oysters.!

Thanks, SweetP.....think I'll have time after the Gardens tour? Only there from 9p-midnight

Nathan, I have been to Inaka but I usually eat Sushi with my son and he does not like their Sushi Chef. My son likes to make up some Rolls sometimes and they will not let him, Then they got snippy with Andy when he had some rice left on his plate when we wanted another roll.

SweetP2, thanks for the suggestion in Victoria we will be there on Saturday night a few weeks after Nathan. How far is Yoshi Sushi from the Empress Hotel?

LAFFNVEGAS:

Hmmm...if you are only in Victoria a short time like Sakedad, then Yoshi Sushi not close enough to town...there is another good one right in downtown Victoria and not far from Empress, called EBIZO SUSHI...small and very fresh. Located on Broughton street...walk along Gov't Street in front of Empress walking deeper into town and further away from harbour...just one block or two up from Empress, turn right on Broughton and it is in that block...enjoy sushi AND VICTORIA!

Only 2 more working days till we leave on our first leg toward our 20 days on Zuiderdam.

The sushi on the vista ships (not counting the Noordam as i have not sailed her yet) is only ok. I would compare it to the packaged stuff that some grocery stores sell around the deli area.

It seems like the rice is too soggy with vinegar and has been made too far ahead.

However, it is not inedible and when you time it right, you can get better tasting pieces! :)

The United States Public Health Service will not allow fresh oysters to be served on any cruise ship that calls at a US Port. You may occasionally see oysters on the shell - but they were previously frozen - and not very good.

Unfortunately this is the only legal way the cruise lines can serve them.

This was a big disappointment for us. I loved Celebrity's sushi but I couldn't swallow the sushi on the Noordam. It was soggy, pasty and tasteless - a total waste of carbs! The did have a few varieties but I tried to eat it 3 times and failed. :(

My DH had the oysters rockafeller in the dining room as an appetizer and he said they were okay. On a positive note, I loved the crab legs and the lobsters tails were pretty good.

Sushi on the ships are a big dissapointment. I have tried it many times thinking I will like it the next time or the next time or maybe the next time. And I will try it again hoping. But I would leave the sushi to places like Inaka. I have to travel to LV on business and this is one place I like to eat at. I have never had a problem asking for sushi that wasn't on the menu or asking to change something about a specific roll. Its a great place!!! I just give them an abnormally large tip.

SakeDaD loved looking at your pics on China. Never seen such a great site. We are going in Sept. and Looking at everything through your lens was breathless. Thank you for all your work.

Now to your question never had good sushi on a ship. Eat all you can here in Vegas.

Donna

Donna,

Glad you enjoyed the pics!:D China is a very special place, depending on where you go. While I don't have an overwhelming desire to go back I can honestly say when I see "Made in China" on anything or news stories from there I have a MUCH GREATER sense of understanding for their country. ENJOY IT!!!:)

As for the sushi, think I'll ask for an extra tail or two:rolleyes:

This is one area where Carnival has HAL beat (assuming Carnival is continuing their complimentary sushi bars). On our one-and-only Carnival cruise (Elation, Mexican Riviera), we visited the sushi bar at 5:00 p.m. every evening and the sushi was fresh and well-presented.

I have read here there is "some" sushi but have not seen any good reviews of it. I can eat TONS of good sushi and raw oysters, but California rolls are a total waste of sushi rice as far as I'm concerned.

As we are cruising Alaska I was wondering what the chances are of good raw oysters and wonderful sushi?? Or should I eat my fill in Vegas and Seattle before I leave?:rolleyes:

Don't bother while aboard ship - all they have is Maki

Enjoy it ashore...

Archived