Cellular At Sea - Say It Isn't So!

TheHowards

My wife was on a recent RCCL cruise and at the dinner table, the cell phone of one of her tablemates rang. I just read that RCCL and Celebrity are going to offer Cellular At Sea service on all of their ships.

If dresscode threads are hot, imagine the firestorm of cell phones going off at dinner, especially on formal night. Cruise ships have been the last bastion of freedom from this type of thing, giving a truly relaxing vacation. What if bosses could reach you, or anyone else you need a break from in the first place? Aghhhhh!

Next thing you know, Celebrity will have to adopt a cell phone policy, and along with it the adapted Shakespeare line, "to enforce or not to enforce, that is the question."

Of course, my concern is really minimal, and my hope is that the price of this service will be its own deterrent. But it does give a cause to ponder.

Bob

Phones, in any area where a certain amount of decorum is expected, should ALWAYS be set to vibrate only, NEVER to ring. And then the proper way to take a call is to excuse yourself before answering and leave to an area where such would be acceptable.

Cell phones are certainly both a convenience as well as an inconvenience, depending how and where people use them.

I think the absolute worst circumstance that I've ever encountered regarding cell phone use, was several years ago in St. Peter's Basilica. We were lucky enough to be able to get into the Basilica for a Papal Mass, before it was closed off for only invited guests. During the Mass, I heard a cell phone ring very close to me. Not only didn't the woman turn off her phone, she actually answered it and had a conversation as Mass was being celebrated.

So, I imagine, should cell phone use be enabled on the seas, we will most likely have the less decorous, willingly and indiscrimately use their phones at any time and in any place, without remorse.

Mary

It is so! I was on the Century a few weeks ago. I had my cell phone with me but I was not making calls. Anyway, on a sea day between Key West and Grand Cayman I was sitting the Aqua spa for lunch when I am startled by the ringing of my phone! YIKES!!!!! It was someone calling for some mundane reason and he had no idea he would actually get a hold of me, was just going to leave a voicemail. So apparently, on the Century, it is working. I'm still waiting to see how large my phone bill is from it.

joelmarj,

It is so! I was on the Century a few weeks ago. I had my cell phone with me but I was not making calls. Anyway, on a sea day between Key West and Grand Cayman I was sitting the Aqua spa for lunch when I am startled by the ringing of my phone! YIKES!!!!! It was someone calling for some mundane reason and he had no idea he would actually get a hold of me, was just going to leave a voicemail. So apparently, on the Century, it is working. I'm still waiting to see how large my phone bill is from it.

I believe that this service has been operational for a couple years now on Celebrity. But I probably should not mention that the "international roaming" rate applies....

Norm.

Yes, it is a new service, recently launched, and it works anywhere.

On Millennium's eastbound transatlantic in March, I was making phone calls from the middle of the Atlantic ocean. Celebrity does not charge for the service; you pay the roaming charges of the cellphone provider you have your contract with.

And yes, I always make sure my phone is on silent mode so that I don't annoy others, and I never have loud conversations in the presence of others either. I know how irritating that is... just look at all the kids running around yelling to their parents in their two-way radio's. "Where are you now?"...

Floris

If you don't want people to reach you, turn the phone off. Regardless of where we are, there are people using their cell phones. I just don't understand why people have to talk so loud into them.

We leave ours at home. No problems from us.

joelmarj,

I believe that this service has been operational for a couple years now on Celebrity. But I probably should not mention that the "international roaming" rate applies....

Norm.

Norm is correct, Celebrity announced this a long time ago and we had numerous threads about it at the time. They were as expected, very heated..

Phones, in any area where a certain amount of decorum is expected, should ALWAYS be set to vibrate only, NEVER to ring. And then the proper way to take a call is to excuse yourself before answering and leave to an area where such would be acceptable.

here here, its not the phones that are the problem, its idiots that are rude, and dont know how to operate them properly eh.

Ian :D

On a MSC cruise 2003 the Italian gentleman sitting at the table next door had me get up in the middle of the formal dinner to me saying - so that people around us could hear....If he didn't have the decency to at least leave the dinning room after his forth call he got the chance to either turn it off or leave - if he chose neither I would be cell for a swim! 3 tables started clapping... The gentleman first tried to play dumb but the waiter translated for him. With a look that could have killed he got up and left.

No I did not feel bad - he was rude taking 4 calls and jaking away so loudly he was spoiling not only my evening but every one elses too. If it is sooo important(it could have been) then turn on the vibration mode and leave to answer it.

When I went to Europe last year, I set up my cell phone for international use. I was told by Cingular tht I should leave the phone off because if it is on and someone calls, I am billed whether or not I answer...it is a good thing I did that, when I returned and checked my voice mail, I had over 50 calls...that could have been expensive.

On my past two cruises my cell phone worked with no problem. The ships now have better cell phone service for Verizon phones too. Sometimes they would work, sometimes they wouldn't. When we were docked in a non-us port my Verizon phone didn't work. But, I left my phone in my room and I wasn't interested in chatting with people. I used it simply to check for emergency calls. My son did have an emergency situation while I was away and I am glad I had easy access to him. So they are good to have. I don't recall seeing other chat on their phones.

I don't think we need to blow this out of proportion. Most people use their laptops and phones in their staterooms where it is quiet.

It's good to know that one can be reached this way. However, when I cruise, I leave my cell off, except once a day to check for text messages.

We had an emergency back home when we were on the Norwegian Wind, and the phone calls were VERY expensive!!

A reminder about GSM service. If you are with Cingular or T-Mobile, your phone is GSM. The way GSM works, if you leave your phone on and let a call go to voicemail, you will be charged international roaming rates for that caller to leave voice mail. This is due to the way GSM networks are designed. There is not a way for the carrier to fix it. Remember, this is if you leave your phone on. If you turn your phone off, the calls will go directly to voice mail and you will not be charged.

Use the darned power switch and turn the thing off! Remember how much more peaceful the world was before cell phones? I guess it makes certain people feel important that they are indespensable...

There are so few things in life that require immediate contact, that I cannot believe why some people need to have that cell phone glued to their ear.

Likewise, I also can never understand the same need to communicate constantly while driving.

BarryATL:

My sister in law had a T-Mobile Blackberry on a cruise. She thought it was cute that her kids kept sending e-mails and leaving voice messages. That's until she got home and had hundreds of dollars in fees.

I had my phone, have Verizon and checked to see if I could maybe get in touch wiht some friends and family and if I would have service as my family wasnt going and wanted to keep in touch. Unfortunately Verizon won't allow you to text or call in Mexico or international waters I guess. The only one that does is Cingular as they have a contract to have service on Celebrity and Carnival ships and possibly Royal Caribbean. I didn't call anyone as I didn't want to pay the outrageous fees but I didn't have service the entire time but kept my phone on for time usage and my phone started ringing from a friend but I didn't answer it and I wasn't able to get to the phone fast enough.

Both on cruises and land based travel in Europe you will be charged if you receive a voice mail on a GSM phone.

You can avoid these completely by calling your provider before you leave and have them turn off your voice mail.

Or most cell phone plans have call forwarding. Forward to your home phone. Then you can turn your GSM phone on and check your home voice mail.

If you don't do this, you get charged for every voice mail you receive. And believe me, if you use your cell for business that can get very expensive at $2.49 per minute. Especially when you have longp-winded customers.

As to cell phone use on the ships. The first time I hear one in the dining room, the theater or the aquaspa that sucker's going overboard. :D Not the caller, just the phone. Although tossing the guy would be a good idea too.

Why do people feel they are so indispensable today when no one before 8 years ago was indispensable.

Yes, it's true, cell phones now work during the entire cruise!

The "good news" is that the per minute rates are still very expensive. So those annoying people with the cell phone implanted in their ear will probably have a phone bill bigger than the onboard account total, LOL!

We always leave the phone number where relatives (not work, never) can call our cabin on the ship if there's an emergency. When the ship sails, the phone is turned off and put in the safe. When we are about to disembark, the phone gets turned on. That's sooo simple. I've never been on a cruise where anyone at work would have the slightest clue as to how to find me. I like that. My motto, is, "I take my time off, OFF!" Maybe some folks can't do that, too bad, and I feel bad for you. One thing that annoys me, is how so many people don't want to let a call go to voice mail and will answer at bad times (like in the Papal Mass at the Vatican). These things are more of a menace with each passing day, however, it's like another poster said, it's not the phone, it's the user.

By the way, many of the people who are so darned rude with their cell phone use, especially those talking a lot, with many calls, are also so irresponsible that they won't think about, or else don't care about, the expensive roaming fees until they choke when seeing their next bill.

At this time, the FCC here in the states doesn't allow cell phone jammers at various establishments, but I'd like to see the law change.

I wonder how long it takes for a cell phone to sink in salt water?:D

Ken

Archived