Exchanging Dollars for Euros

Thanks, Piper. You have mostly the same networks that I do. You must bank with a credit union also?

I, too, am having trouble getting the Cirrus locator to work. Their site must be down right now. I will keep trying!

We plan to get some Euros ahead of time to get to the hotel & have lunch--then can use an ATM in Barcelona. How far ahead need one order from BOA?

I think it was a week or less.

This has all been great info. Thanks everyone. Lambs2, I was sad to see your comment about Deutsche Bank - I thought I could use that in Venice being a Bank of America user. I presume from reading your links that you only get that freebie when in Germany. It was great using the card in a recent trip to London.

So, just to confirm, the best way to go is to use the Bank of America card, rather than Chase, but make sure I go to a machine that shows the Plus network and then there will only be a 1% fee and nothing else?

I thank you in advance for your response.

This has all been great info. Thanks everyone. Lambs2, I was sad to see your comment about Deutsche Bank - I thought I could use that in Venice being a Bank of America user. I presume from reading your links that you only get that freebie when in Germany. It was great using the card in a recent trip to London.

So, just to confirm, the best way to go is to use the Bank of America card, rather than Chase, but make sure I go to a machine that shows the Plus network and then there will only be a 1% fee and nothing else?

I thank you in advance for your response.

I think you will pay $5 per transaction in Italy, not a bad deal if you withdraw large amounts. From http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/ATM_Cards_and_Foreign_Exchange

Total Fee: "1% + $5/transaction". Notes, "No fee at Barclays (United Kingdom), BNP Paribas (France), Deutsche Bank (Germany), Santander Serfin (Mexico), Scotiabank (Canada), Westpac (Australia and New Zealand). Rules may vary, so be sure to check. No fee at the above listed banks only valid in the bank's home country."

I think the Plus network just allows you to make the withdrawal, not avoid the $5 withdrawal fee.

I think you will pay $5 per transaction in Italy, not a bad deal if you withdraw large amounts. From http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/ATM_Cards_and_Foreign_Exchange

Total Fee: "1% + $5/transaction". Notes, "No fee at Barclays (United Kingdom), BNP Paribas (France), Deutsche Bank (Germany), Santander Serfin (Mexico), Scotiabank (Canada), Westpac (Australia and New Zealand). Rules may vary, so be sure to check. No fee at the above listed banks only valid in the bank's home country."

I think the Plus network just allows you to make the withdrawal, not avoid the $5 withdrawal fee.

The above was NOT what I was told in my extensive phone session with the Bank of America representative last week concerning Italy. Any one have first-hand experience in Italy with a Visa ATM's on the PLUS Network and any extra charges besides the 1% conversion fee? The Bank of America especially stated "no other charges besides the 1% conversion fee" when I made inquiries. He SPECIFICALLY said NOT to use Deutch Bank (in Italy) because of extra charges and actually recommended (by name) these ATM bank machines: Cassa DiRisparmio Di Venezia. Perhaps the representative di not know about the $5. charge?

Thanks, lamb2!

I certainly would not ask you for the exact person you talked to at Bank of America, but what division did you finally get to, to get this information. I certainly intend to get this clarified before I leave.

Once again, I appreciate your efforts and hopefully many will read your posts as Bank of America is rather big and it is a big question!

Thanks, lamb2!

I certainly would not ask you for the exact person you talked to at Bank of America, but what division did you finally get to, to get this information. I certainly intend to get this clarified before I leave.

Once again, I appreciate your efforts and hopefully many will read your posts as Bank of America is rather big and it is a big question!

Wish I could tell you that! I just kept asking to be transfered to someone who was knowlegeable about the ATM's in Europe (specifically Italy) and asked him to give me ALL the associated fees. I did not get a name from the young man I talked with, but I copied down what he told me and wrote it on this board. Then I went to the Visa web page and found the locations of the ATM's in Venice and at the airport that show the Plus network. His exact words were: In Italy use ATM's with Plus symbol for Visa debit card. No International fee and just a 1% conversion fee. He said there were 'no other charges'. Do not use Deutch Bank machines as there ARE extra charges (except in Germany). In France use Paribus machines.

Ok folks. :o I have to EAT CROW for some of my words from previous posts. Obviously the young man I talked to from Bank of America did not know what he was talking about!!!! I got on the phone today and got the absolute TRUTH concerning BOA's ATM charges and fees. The DO charge a $5. per transaction for ATM's!! PLUS the 1% CONVERSION FEES in Italy because Italy has no associated ATM's with Bank of America! This web site has an excellent chart concerning the fees charged for transactions by US banks:

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/ATM_Cards_and_Foreign_Exchange

Since I have only a week before my trip to Europe the best I will be able to do with the limited time left is to load up my Paypal MC debit card and use that. It only charges $1. per transaction and I can take out $400. per day. That combined with our Capitol One credit card and my BOA debit for emergencies should be sufficient. We will carry a couple hundred in US currency in case there is an ATM failure or something beyond our control.

My bank National City rep told me the best way to go is to order Euros before I leave home. The bank charges 2% with a debit card plus whatever the owner of the ATM machine charges with no charges from National City. My bank charges 3% to use a credit card. I guess I'll be ordering Eruos which will take 2 days to receive. Also if I have any Eruos left (doubt that will be the case) when I return them I lose money on them.

My bank National City rep told me the best way to go is to order Euros before I leave home. The bank charges 2% with a debit card plus whatever the owner of the ATM machine charges with no charges from National City. My bank charges 3% to use a credit card. I guess I'll be ordering Eruos which will take 2 days to receive. Also if I have any Eruos left (doubt that will be the case) when I return them I lose money on them.

Did your National City rep tell you the rate on euros purchased in the US? It is usually more expensive to buy foreign currency here, with rates running 5% and up.

Ok folks. :o I have to EAT CROW for some of my words from previous posts. Obviously the young man I talked to from Bank of America did not know what he was talking about!!!! I got on the phone today and got the absolute TRUTH concerning BOA's ATM charges and fees. The DO charge a $5. per transaction for ATM's!! PLUS the 1% CONVERSION FEES in Italy because Italy has no associated ATM's with Bank of America! This web site has an excellent chart concerning the fees charged for transactions by US banks:

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/ATM_Cards_and_Foreign_Exchange

Since I have only a week before my trip to Europe the best I will be able to do with the limited time left is to load up my Paypal MC debit card and use that. It only charges $1. per transaction and I can take out $400. per day. That combined with our Capitol One credit card and my BOA debit for emergencies should be sufficient. We will carry a couple hundred in US currency in case there is an ATM failure or something beyond our control.

I have a paypal acct but no debit card. Did you order that through paypal? $1 per transaction but did they tell you anything about the conversion fees?

I have a paypal acct but no debit card. Did you order that through paypal? $1 per transaction but did they tell you anything about the conversion fees?

I have a premier Paypal account, and don't know if that makes a difference. I have had this debit card with Paypal for several years.

When I log into my Paypal account I just click on the Profile tab. Under financial information I find the following clickable links: Credit Cards, Bank Accounts, Currency Balances, Paypal Debit Card, etc.....

When I click on the Paypal debit card it shows all the info and there is a place to request cards, etc. Look under your profile on Paypal and see what you find. Hope this helps.

I have a premier Paypal account, and don't know if that makes a difference. I have had this debit card with Paypal for several years.

When I log into my Paypal account I just click on the Profile tab. Under financial information I find the following clickable links: Credit Cards, Bank Accounts, Currency Balances, Paypal Debit Card, etc.....

When I click on the Paypal debit card it shows all the info and there is a place to request cards, etc. Look under your profile on Paypal and see what you find. Hope this helps.

Thank you, paypal does look like a good deal. I have upgraded to Premier and requested a debit card. Please let us know how it works for you on your trip to Europe.

Another HUGE Thank you from me regarding the Paypal info! I was having a problem figuring what I wanted to do since our tours want euros only, no cc's. This definitely helps! Has anyone used their Paypal debit overseas? Any issues?

I have not used it yet, but mine is a Master Card Paypal debit card and I could find no Master card ATM's at the Venice or Rome airports when I did a search on the Mastercard ATM site! Also I could could not find any no-fee ATM's in Venice for using the Paypal debit card. Not sure exactly what those fees will be! I know that Paypal only charges $1. per use, but what about the other ATM's? Anybody know what your experience has been, especially in Italy?

I also have a Bank of America Visa debit. They partner with Barclay's in Europe for no fees...but there are no Barclay ATM's in Italy and BOA has no other bank partner's there either. BOA charges $5. for each use that is not from their exact system so I guess I will still be $$'s ahead using the Paypal debit card.

Since it seems that sometimes the Mastercard ATM locater doesn't work (or in my case, doesn't show whether the ones in Barcelona are MC/Cirrus/Maestro).. here is a website where you can print a list the MC number to call for an ATM location (by country) or if your card is lost/stolen. Great thing to have with you!!

http://www.mastercard.com/us/wce/PDF/14126_EmergencyService_PhoneNumbers_FullList_2Oct2006.pdf

The phone number it lists for the US can be called collect!

Since it seems that sometimes the Mastercard ATM locater doesn't work (or in my case, doesn't show whether the ones in Barcelona are MC/Cirrus/Maestro).. here is a website where you can print a list the MC number to call for an ATM location (by country) or if your card is lost/stolen. Great thing to have with you!!

http://www.mastercard.com/us/wce/PDF/14126_EmergencyService_PhoneNumbers_FullList_2Oct2006.pdf

The phone number it lists for the US can be called collect!

Thank you! Nice to have these numbers. :)

I have not used it yet, but mine is a Master Card Paypal debit card and I could find no Master card ATM's at the Venice or Rome airports when I did a search on the Mastercard ATM site! Also I could could not find any no-fee ATM's in Venice for using the Paypal debit card. Not sure exactly what those fees will be! I know that Paypal only charges $1. per use, but what about the other ATM's? Anybody know what your experience has been, especially in Italy?

I also have a Bank of America Visa debit. They partner with Barclay's in Europe for no fees...but there are no Barclay ATM's in Italy and BOA has no other bank partner's there either. BOA charges $5. for each use that is not from their exact system so I guess I will still be $$'s ahead using the Paypal debit card.

Have a wonderful trip and please give us an update when you get back!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, everyone probably knows this, but I will repeat it for the sake of maybe one cruiser who may not be aware of UK and Europe's rule of 4 digit PINs for your debit cards. Prior to leaving on our last Med cruise, while checking out CC boards, I found out that I needed to change our 6 digit PIN to a 4 digit for our debit card to work abroad. I thought (here in Canada) that it was more secure to have a longer digit PIN. Beware, unless things have changed in EU and UK, it is a 4 digit number. This was probably one of the most important facts I learned on these boards prior to our last trip.....

Happy travels, all.

I just returned from Venice yesterday. You can get Euros when you arrive. Go to an atm machine at the airport. Atm machines give the best exchange rate. My bank charged my $2 per transaction, the water taxis at the airport want Euros. Once downtown you can find atm machines everywhere.

cheers

Archived