Exchanging Dollars for Euros

Thanks for the great research. Can anyone tell me what kind of ATM's are at FCO airport in Rome - is it Visa, Plus, Cirrus? Is the exchange rate at the airport decent, or am I better getting 100 euros in the USA (just to get me started with cab fare, etc. until I get to town)? Linda

Can I ask one (maybe two) dumb question(s)? I notice no one has mentioned exchanging dollars at the pursers desk. Should I assume that this is a very poor exchange rate? We have not been to Europe since the conversion to Euros, so I'm feelin' kinda dumb (and you know us guys, we hate admitting we don't know something!). Oh, the other dumb question, does anyone know which ATM would be equivalent to Wachovia Bank debit cards (Visa)?

I sure am glad I found this thread!!! In my bravado, I was planning to purchase enough Euros (like 1000) before leaving to cover the costs of three private full day excursions! Whew...

Find out what network your bank's debit card uses as partner on their ATM's in Europe and make sure you have sufficient funds in your account to cover the withdrawals. also notify your bak in advance of the dates you will be in Europe. You will ALWAYS do better getting the money from an ATM in Rome than buying Euros at home even if you have to pay ATM charges. Debit cards are better than credit cards at ATM's because with the credit cards withdrawals you are charged the cash advance fees when using them in an ATM.

PiratesMate123 - Look at your card and see what network it shows and then go online to that card's website to find where the ATM's are located in Rome. The Visa link for Italy (enter city in drop down menu) is given in posts above and shows the networks honored at each machine right on the web site. You are better off getting the Euros from an ATM at the Rome airport even if you have to pay an ATM fee. The exchange rate is better. But use a debit card if at all possible because credit card advances cost fees plus exchange rates!

Can I ask one (maybe two) dumb question(s)? I notice no one has mentioned exchanging dollars at the pursers desk. Should I assume that this is a very poor exchange rate? We have not been to Europe since the conversion to Euros, so I'm feelin' kinda dumb (and you know us guys, we hate admitting we don't know something!). Oh, the other dumb question, does anyone know which ATM would be equivalent to Wachovia Bank debit cards (Visa)?

I sure am glad I found this thread!!! In my bravado, I was planning to purchase enough Euros (like 1000) before leaving to cover the costs of three private full day excursions! Whew...

The purser's desk on a ship will NOT give you the best rate. I learned, after much research, that the best rates are from using your debit card at an ATM with the same network your card uses (like Plus or Cirrus) in Europe.

If you want to get the best rates, study these links:

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/moneytip.htm

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...reign_Exchange

I also called my bank to get the entire scoop on their policies and rates AND to make sure that there would be no hold on my card for the dates I would be in Europe. Good Luck!

best way to handle exchanges are the ATM (Bank) machines anywhere you are in europe pretty much!. Best rates, no need to carry around a lot of cash (and you do go thru a lot of cash in europe!)

ATM is better than using your credit card which charges at least 3% to the exchange rate based on credit card and individual bank fees (Amex is the same or worse)

Don't use the foreign exchange booths at the airports unless you are desperate or want to get ripped off. Just look around or ask for a BANK machine...

Just returned from the Freedom on May 1st. We took 750 Euros with us which we got from BofA. We had to order them and then they came in a few days later. The exchange rate at the end of March was $1.34 per Euro.

We used a USAA mastercard at ATMS in Rhodes Greece, Athens Greece and Naples Italy. The exchange rate on the card was $1.34 per Euro. I also paid an foreign currency fee of $2.00 and a small fee (less than $10) for cash advance. I know some of these fees can be eliminated by using a debit card, but I did not want to chance losing my debit card.

The exchange rate on board was over $1.40 per Euro and you had to do it in increments of $50. Hope this helps. ATMS are very plentiful in the ports we visited.

But what about the interest you pay from the day you take out a cash advance until you pay it in the full? Add that onto your exchange rate and you've paid an awful lot for your euros, in my opinion.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

What airport are u flying out of? I was at Newark last week and bought some Euros from the exchange at airport. I bought $500 so there was not transaction fee. You can buy Euros from Venice airport, and most water taxi's want a voucher showing you have already paid, or they want cash, Euros. The best rate of exchange will be ATM machines. Your hotel will be able to tell you the nearest atm. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

I travel extensively and haven't taken Travelers' Cheques in probably a decade and never buy currency in advance. I really don't see any point to do that. We take a credit card and have used ATMs wherever we've gone. I've never had a problem finding an ATM, certainly not at a European airport.

Find out what network your bank's debit card uses as partner on their ATM's in Europe and make sure you have sufficient funds in your account to cover the withdrawals. also notify your bak in advance of the dates you will be in Europe. You will ALWAYS do better getting the money from an ATM in Rome than buying Euros at home even if you have to pay ATM charges. Debit cards are better than credit cards at ATM's because with the credit cards withdrawals you are charged the cash advance fees when using them in an ATM.

PiratesMate123 - Look at your card and see what network it shows and then go online to that card's website to find where the ATM's are located in Rome. The Visa link for Italy (enter city in drop down menu) is given in posts above and shows the networks honored at each machine right on the web site. You are better off getting the Euros from an ATM at the Rome airport even if you have to pay an ATM fee. The exchange rate is better. But use a debit card if at all possible because credit card advances cost fees plus exchange rates!

Thanks Lambs! I have a Visa debit with the plus and star symbol. One less thing to worry about. My bank knows about my credit card being used in Europe but I should probably let them know my debit card will be also.

I like to have local currency before I go anywhere. The other 'better be safe than sorry' advice is to make sure that you have more than one piece of plastic to use.

I have had a machine eat my card on the morning of a trip and the bank will not give it you until the next day. Don't know if that is Gibraltar rules or general banking. I have also seen tourists having had their card eaten (possibly not warning the bank and having unusually high purchases on the card). If you have to get back to the ship and you don't have a back up, using the ATM can give you a huge headache. Make sure that you have more than one card available or you are not the only one in your party with a card before you put it into the machine.

My card was eaten because the machine 'froze' during the transaction - just a simple electrical malfunction and nothing to do with the amount of money I had in the bank :mad:

BTW cash exchange in Gibraltar is good, you get a great rate from all of the bureau - they are possibly doing so much business that they do not need to charge commission on notes.

I have had a machine eat my card on the morning of a trip and the bank will not give it you until the next day. Don't know if that is Gibraltar rules or general banking. I have also seen tourists having had their card eaten (possibly not warning the bank and having unusually high purchases on the card). If you have to get back to the ship and you don't have a back up, using the ATM can give you a huge headache. Make sure that you have more than one card available or you are not the only one in your party with a card before you put it into the machine.

Good advice. Make sure you notify your bank BEFORE your trip of the dates you will be out of the country. Also make sure and have their European toll free number written somewhere so that you can call them directly if there are any problems. DH and I will bring both our debit cards along, as well as a back up charge card or two - all kept in our money belts, of course!

There was an ATM at the airport in Venice. The luggage trolleys take a 50 cent Euro.

Since I am a senior and a planner, I wanted my Euros before I left home, so ordered them online from BOA and picked them up at a local branch.

I didn't want the hassel of searching for an ATM, standing in line and perhaps it malfunction or run out of money. I thought there was a limit of $200 or $300 per day withdrawal from ATMs, but I am not sure.

The limit on daily ATM withdrawals varies. Call your bank to find out what it is and if you need to increase it. Ours is $2000 from 5/3 Bank. No problem there.

We haven't ordered any Euros yet but I think we will get at least 100 Euros just to get us out of the airport since we change planes in Paris and we might not have time between planes to find the ATM. We will definitely need to find an ATM in Rome at the airport to pay for our transfer to the apartment we rented and to pay the rental fee which they want in cash.

Happy Travels!

I hate to admit I can't figure something out, but I am just confused and need help!

If your ATM/debit card has a Visa (or Mastercard) logo on it, are you going to get hit with an extra fee (beyond your banks fee) by Visa for using it in an ATM in Europe that has the Star or Plus network?

Would I be better off asking my bank for an ATM card without the Visa logo? I have two credit cards that I will take on the trip - neither of which I will get hit with the foreign currency exchange fees - Capital One and Wells Fargo Signature Visa. But our tours require cash payments, and since we will be in Paris a week before our cruise, I figured we would have an easy time of getting to ATM's to get the required money for the tours. I just don't want to have to pay any more fees than I have too.

Okay, I'm also a little bit confused and hope that someone can clarify for me . . .

My ATM card has a VISA logo on the front, but it is not Plus network, it is Cirrus. Can I use an ATM that is listed on the VISA ATM finder link above even though it says VISA and PLUS, or do I have to look for a Cirrus ATM?:confused:

Thanks!

All the travelers please not:

I have been to over 50 countries and ATM's are the best way of getting local currency...

Take your ATM -debit cards and make sure you remember PIN code!

Good luck!

Do not bother to deal with your expensive US bank exchange rates and fees!

My ATM card has a VISA logo on the front, but it is not Plus network, it is Cirrus. Can I use an ATM that is listed on the VISA ATM finder link above even though it says VISA and PLUS, or do I have to look for a Cirrus ATM?:confused:

Thanks!

You want to look for cirrus atm's, not plus. I know there's a site to search for those, because I did it once, but I can't remember off the top of my head what it is.

Okay, I'm also a little bit confused and hope that someone can clarify for me . . .

Thanks!

That seems very strange. Plus is the Visa network and Cirrus is the Mastercard network.

That seems very strange. Plus is the Visa network and Cirrus is the Mastercard network.

Yeah, but it does happen. My debit card is the same way. (Cirrus, NYCE, Star, and Co-Op, but it's a Visa debit card). BTW, the Cirrus locator is at:

http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/cardholderservices/atmlocations/index.html

It's being flakey for me right now, but if I remember properly you do have to look at the list it returns to see which ones are cirrus, since it returns more than just that.

Archived