Legend only Questions! Post 'em Here!

Cleavis

I would like to hear how others compare the Legend to The Valor cruising the W. Caribbean. I have heard that the Spirit class ships sway more side to side because they are more narrow than the Conquest class. Any truth to this?

Hi ! Our Legend cruise isn't until April 20th, but we thought that if lucky, we'll be onboard early enough to still leave ship and go shopping at Channelside for swimear, etc.

Question: Is Channelside Mall just across from Tampa Pier # 2 ? (we read that that is the normal Carnival pier).

Thanks alot !

Channelside was not across from the pier but right next to it. When we boarded the ship we went up to Lido deck and got a bite to eat (about 1pm or so). We sat outside next at the Avalon Pool and were looking out the window down at Channelside and all the shops.

My advice though, go shopping before you board the ship. You should have plenty of time if you get to the port around noon or so. It kind of took a while to get through security and check-in and it seemed as if once inside, it was moreless one-way traffic towards the ship. Bottom line, is took a lot longer and seemed harder (for lack of a better word) to get on the ship than it was to get on the plane.

Just need a quick answer, what nights are formal nights on Legend now? Trying to plan shore excursions for 8 people.

Just got back from the Legend today.

Formal nights are Monday & Friday.

Have a great time... we did!

DK

Channelside was not across from the pier but right next to it. When we boarded the ship we went up to Lido deck and got a bite to eat (about 1pm or so). We sat outside next at the Avalon Pool and were looking out the window down at Channelside and all the shops.

My advice though, go shopping before you board the ship. You should have plenty of time if you get to the port around noon or so. It kind of took a while to get through security and check-in and it seemed as if once inside, it was moreless one-way traffic towards the ship. Bottom line, is took a lot longer and seemed harder (for lack of a better word) to get on the ship than it was to get on the plane.

Thanks, Rd Runner ! Great to know it's within easy walking distance.

I will ask my PVP to look into it, just in case.....i.e., are we prohibited from leaving after checking in. Of course, another alternative might be to find a locker where we can store the luggage BEFORE checking in, so we don't have to shop while dragging it around....I'll ask him that too !

I would like to hear how others compare the Legend to The Valor cruising the W. Caribbean. I have heard that the Spirit class ships sway more side to side because they are more narrow than the Conquest class. Any truth to this?

I haven't been on the Valor, but I have been on her sister ship, the Glory. Of the two ships, I felt more swaying and rolling on the Glory. I was lucky enough to have smooth seas both trips, so the amount of movement wasn't bad at all (on either ship).

I've been on both but I feel my comparison may be an apples-to-oranges type of comparison because on the Valor our cabin was mid-ship and on the Legend, our cabin was all the way aft. We felt far more movement on the Legend, but it was not a swaying-type of movement, it was a bouncing-type of movement from the force of the waves hitting the back of the ship when we were not moving or moving under 10 kts. We had 1 day of rough seas on both ships and the swaying motion was comparable for each ship when in the public rooms. I don't think we'll ever book an aft balcony ever again, the bouncing motion woke me up several times during the night.

We were on the Legend last year on a different itinerary, and the motion was much more noticeable than on the Conquest the previous year. I haven't been on the Valor (yet) so I can't compare. My husband felt a little ill some days, and not just in our cabin. His appetite was kind of shot for a lot of the trip (maybe a good thing, he's putting on a little weight anyways...) Before we booked again for this year, I made him promise to take whatever pills we buy preemptively instead of after he's felt like crap for three days. I felt fine the whole time, but I did notice the motion more than on the larger ship.

Thanks for the information. Is there maybe a store to pick up water and snacks and last minute items. Also a question about pick up and drop off at air port. Is there a hotel phone at airport that you can pick up and call for a ride. Do you need to call after the cruise, or do you schedule that before you go?

We also stayed at Chase Suites in September and they drove us to Walmart the night before we cruised and also stopped at the liquor store for us. They were very nice and I would definately stay at Chase Suites again. We just used our cell phone when we got back to Tampa to call them to pick us up. They had give us a business card with the drivers name and number.

I have been on Miracle which is a spirt class ship same ports as LEgend is going to now and we didn't feel any swaying...I actually heard the opposite that there is alot of movement on Glory which is in the Conquest class. I guess it depends on the person. I always try and get the lowest balcony level and ship to hopefully limit or at least lessen the movement but didn't feel any on Miracle.

kim

We also stayed at Chase Suites in September and they drove us to Walmart the night before we cruised and also stopped at the liquor store for us. They were very nice and I would definately stay at Chase Suites again. We just used our cell phone when we got back to Tampa to call them to pick us up. They had give us a business card with the drivers name and number.

Now that is really nice! You just ask at the desk for a ride and they will take you to a walmart? Do they wait for you while you shop, or come back for you? Did you see other restraunts in the area besides the one next door that I hear is very busy?

I've been on both but I feel my comparison may be an apples-to-oranges type of comparison because on the Valor our cabin was mid-ship and on the Legend, our cabin was all the way aft. We felt far more movement on the Legend, but it was not a swaying-type of movement, it was a bouncing-type of movement from the force of the waves hitting the back of the ship when we were not moving or moving under 10 kts. We had 1 day of rough seas on both ships and the swaying motion was comparable for each ship when in the public rooms. I don't think we'll ever book an aft balcony ever again, the bouncing motion woke me up several times during the night.

1st i've heard anything about "bouncing":eek: ; we have an aft balcony...guess it's a little late to worry about it now lol glad i ordered my patches!

I thought the carnival Spirit class ships had stabilizers & pod propulsion (quieter/less vibration?).:confused:

We have an aft on the Legend too. I must admit that I am slightly concerned, but prepared with ginger pills.

We had the last Verandah deck cabin before the aft on the Miracle, which was the same itinerary as the Legend, except no Costa Maya now.:(

I had no problems except the last full day. We ordered room service for lunch as we were packing, and coming back into the Gulf of Mexico, we could really feel the motion.

As a person who spends lots of time on the water, I was really surprised that I got seasick!:eek:

I felt much better after going down to deck 4 to stare out a window & drink a ginger ale. Lesson learned, I now take ginger pills every day while on a cruise.

That was the only time we really felt a lot of motion on the ship, but we were all the way aft and very high up.

I will ask my PVP to look into it, just in case.....i.e., are we prohibited from leaving after checking in. Of course, another alternative might be to find a locker where we can store the luggage BEFORE checking in, so we don't have to shop while dragging it around....I'll ask him that too !

You're definitely not prohibited from getting off the ship once you've boarded. On our Legend cruise out of Tampa two weeks ago, we checked in fairly early (10:30 or 11:00), dropped our suitcases in our cabins (our cabins were all ready cleaned and ready, but if not you can still put your luggage in there), then we got off the ship and went to the aquarium for a couple of hours. We never had to wait on any lines, since the times we boarded and reboarded were early and late (respectively). We had no problems getting on and off at all.

Enjoy your cruise!

1st i've heard anything about "bouncing":eek: ; we have an aft balcony...guess it's a little late to worry about it now lol glad i ordered my patches!

We felt the bouncing only when in docked in port when the seas were rough (when the seas weren't rough, there was no bouncing) with waves slamming into the back of the ship and also the night of Belize as we drifted at about 10 kts to Roatan since it's so close by. One of the crew explained to us that when the ship is moving so slowly and the seas are a little rough, the waves slam into the back of the ship and create the bouncing sensation. It must have woken me up 4-5 times during the night that night. Those were the only times I ever felt the bouncing. We also did not notice it up at Lido Deck aft, but as soon as we got back to our aft room on the Main Deck, we felt it full-force. It didn't make me sick, but then again not a whole lot does. I have never been seasick in all of my 5 cruises.

We felt the bouncing only when in docked in port when the seas were rough (when the seas weren't rough, there was no bouncing) with waves slamming into the back of the ship and also the night of Belize as we drifted at about 10 kts to Roatan since it's so close by. One of the crew explained to us that when the ship is moving so slowly and the seas are a little rough, the waves slam into the back of the ship and create the bouncing sensation. It must have woken me up 4-5 times during the night that night. Those were the only times I ever felt the bouncing. We also did not notice it up at Lido Deck aft, but as soon as we got back to our aft room on the Main Deck, we felt it full-force. It didn't make me sick, but then again not a whole lot does. I have never been seasick in all of my 5 cruises.

odd, must be a different sort of sensation;) being low & aft?

always thought the higher up you were the more motion you felt; ergo one of the reasons i selected a lower deck...PVP thought i was bonkers turning down the upgrade lol.

We are traveling with our family in December (8 of us) and would like to know some good excursions that people have taken. My two grandsons 6 & 8 would like to see the Mayan Ruins, also want to do the cave tubing. On our last cruise we had very good luck booking with the local people rather than booking the cruise excursions--too expensive. Any info would be appreciated.

Northwoods - I did cave tubing in Belize last year, we used Major Tom (google him) and he was awesome. We're using him again this year. Haven't been to the Mayan ruins though. Our cave tubing group was 8 or 10 people last year, including one family with a daughter probably between 8-10. She had a great time too.

Others - so formal nights are Monday (sea day) and Friday (Roatan) for a Sun to Sun cruise? I guess they don't want to do it on the last night maybe. Which night is which menu-wise? Thanks!

odd, must be a different sort of sensation;) being low & aft?

always thought the higher up you were the more motion you felt; ergo one of the reasons i selected a lower deck...PVP thought i was bonkers turning down the upgrade lol.

Up high on the Lido Deck we felt swaying, but low and aft it was definitely a bouncing feeling.

Most days we didn't feel anything at all, no matter where we were on the ship. The very last day at sea, we had rough seas and that was fun trying to do a galley tour with the ship rocking all over the place. It was neat though, to watch the kitchen staff carrying giant trays of everything you could imagine and they never faltered while the guests touring the galley couldn't even walk a straight line!

Considering doing cave tubing in Belize with Coral Breeze Tours.

Saw positive comments on several other websites.

It seems that their costs via their website are more reasonable than those quoted for cave tubing on the Carnival site.

Has anyone used them before & if so comments?

Thanks

Now that is really nice! You just ask at the desk for a ride and they will take you to a walmart? Do they wait for you while you shop, or come back for you? Did you see other restraunts in the area besides the one next door that I hear is very busy?

Yes you just ask for a ride. They dropped us off and we called when we were done, but they did make a quick stop at the liquor store and waited for us. I did not notice any other restaurants in the area. We ended up ordering pizza and salad and had it delivered to Chase. Very nice place to stay.

Up high on the Lido Deck we felt swaying, but low and aft it was definitely a bouncing feeling.

Most days we didn't feel anything at all, no matter where we were on the ship. The very last day at sea, we had rough seas and that was fun trying to do a galley tour with the ship rocking all over the place. It was neat though, to watch the kitchen staff carrying giant trays of everything you could imagine and they never faltered while the guests touring the galley couldn't even walk a straight line!

DH served on a carrier for years...he found it quite amusing how long it took the rest of family to "get their sea legs" our 1st cruise.

We hit rough water sailing south & I commented that the ride was rather bouncey when the capt was trying to make time...DH said it was "nothing":rolleyes: hope i never experience "something" lol

Hey all, I’m trying to find the Dinner Menus somewhere for the Legend so I can pick the best night to make advance reservations for the supper club this Feb. I guess another way to choose if I can’t find a menu is finding out which nights do they serve the Prime Rib / Lobster so we don’t miss out on that night. Mmmmm

Do they serve this on both formal nights or just one of them?

Thanks in advance…Rich

First post did not bump.

I’m trying to find the Dinner Menus somewhere for the Legend so I can pick the best night to make advance reservations for the supper club this Feb. I guess another way to choose if I can’t find a menu is finding out which nights do they serve the Prime Rib / Lobster so we don’t miss out on that night. Mmmmm

Do they serve this on both formal nights or just one of them?

Thanks in advance…Rich