Live from the Pearl

7SeasLover

I tried to post yesterday and couldn't get a connection. I want to say that I tried the steak and eggs and it was delicious! I ordered it again this morning and it was just as good as yesterday. By far, Cagney's for breakfast and lunch is the way to go. Shopping in Skagway is the best. I was going to buy a lovely piece of gold quartz with some diamonds, but in the end the fur and leather coat with matching gloves and fur head band won out.

One thing that bears mentioning about Penthouse 9670 is that the closet space to hang clothes is small! They have huge hangars that are more suitable for men's suits that take up a lot of space. There is no light in the closet and it's very hard to see. I would have used thinner hangars and I would have put a light inside. Just be forewarned. I ended up putting our bulky jackets on the dining table chair backs so that we'd have more room for clothes in the closets.

There were five ships in port today and I got some good photos of the Star as she was docked beside us. We got a good spot at the docks today and the walk to the port was about 200 yards away, whereas the doc at Juneau was over a mile - maybe a mile and a half and part of it was uphill. It was nice to walk back and see the two ships side by side. I didn't have my camera because the weather was iffy and I didn't want to chance having my camera get wet. My tripod and lenses are all set up for Glacier Bay tomorrow. I'll try to post the photos as soon as I can for those of you sailing on this itinerary soon.

Murder Mystery dinner was tonight. It was fun, but not as good as on the Crown. I do recommend that you take part in the Murder Mystery as it's a fun thing to do. (I was a hula dancer - oh la la - but that's all I'll say. You'll have to sign up to find out who done it!) There is so much to see and do on this ship. We're having a very good time. The concierge and the butler do everything they can to pamper you. I just love the cappuccino machine! It is a bit noisy, so if you're trying to quietly brew a cup with someone sleeping, forget it! I just brew it anyway!

The sun comes up at 4:30 a.m. (Yep, I'm up.) The sun sets as late as 10:15 at night! Ugh!!! You MUST draw the drapes if you want to sleep.

We had the same situation in our penthouse in February. I took half of them out so our clothes would hang properly. The bench at the end of the bed was tricky at night. We would move it (and it's heavy) over against the TV wall so we wouldn't stub toes in the middle of the night. :rolleyes:

One thing that bears mentioning about Penthouse 9670 is that the closet space to hang clothes is small! They have huge hangars that are more suitable for men's suits that take up a lot of space. There is no light in the closet and it's very hard to see. I would have used thinner hangars and I would have put a light inside. Just be forewarned. I ended up putting our bulky jackets on the dining table chair backs so that we'd have more room for clothes in the closets.

I just love the cappuccino machine! It is a bit noisy, so if you're trying to quietly brew a cup with someone sleeping, forget it! I just brew it anyway!

The sun comes up at 4:30 a.m. (Yep, I'm up.) The sun sets as late as 10:15 at night! Ugh!!! You MUST draw the drapes if you want to sleep.

I agree about the hangers...we now bring many of our own. The hangers in the suites are great but take up alot of room.

Love the cappuccino machine...yes, too noisy but so yummy!

Loving your review. Keep it coming:)

Thanks for the update! Can't wait to read more! We'll be on the Pearl in less than 2 months and counting the days and hours :) !

I know it's been brought up in other threads before, but just to clarify, can you please list the various restaurants and give details (eg., surcharge, reservation, attire, hours, etc). Is bowling still $5/game/person?

Also, regarding tips . . . how does that work? Are the tips added on automatically after the cruise?

Thanks for any input. Enjoy the rest of your cruise! :)

I just love the cappuccino machine! It is a bit noisy, so if you're trying to quietly brew a cup with someone sleeping, forget it! I just brew it anyway!

I have a feeling my wife is going to be asking the butler to remove this machine. She does like her sleep!

I thought that I read on another thread that there IS a light in the closet, but it is on the back wall and hard to see. Some folks said they did not find it until they were packing on their last day!

Maybe it is worth giving it one more look?

Murder Mystery dinner was tonight. It was fun, but not as good as on the Crown. I do recommend that you take part in the Murder Mystery as it's a fun thing to do. (I was a hula dancer - oh la la - but that's all I'll say. You'll have to sign up to find out who done it!) There is so much to see and do on this ship. We're having a very good time. The concierge and the butler do everything they can to pamper you. I just love the cappuccino machine! It is a bit noisy, so if you're trying to quietly brew a cup with someone sleeping, forget it! I just brew it anyway!

How do you sign up for the Murder Mystery dinner and how much was it?

Marilee

Margord,

No charge for the Murder Mystery Dinner. # is limited (maybe around 100?) and you sign up in advance. You are put into a group of 8 (or form your own) and everyone has dinner together in one of the DR's. You find out after dinner who did it.

If you go to the CC get together, the CD will often take names there so you are the first to sign up.:)

7Seas, you mention being a hula dancer at the MM. Sounds to me that they have changed the story and are offering a new mystery? It's been posted here several times that it hasn't changed in years, but yours sure sounds different. Did you all eat in Summer Palace or Indigo?

Been to any more shows? Hope you continue to have a great time.:D

I have a feeling my wife is going to be asking the butler to remove this machine. She does like her sleep!

No need to remove it ;) Just don't push the button to start the grind and brew while she is sleeping or she may have the bulter remove you :D :D

Ginny, I wanted to ask you if you would take a picture of your butler, Amit, and then either post it or email it to me when you get home. I'll get it printed and give it to Amit when we're onboard on June 17th. He might enjoy having a picture of himself or send it home to his family.

For the breakfasts & lunches in Cagney's for AE and above, do they have a special menu or is it the same as the main dining room that's opened for breakfast and lunch? Have you seen any chilled soups on the menu?

Have you had any fantastic sunrises and sunsets yet?

Thanks again, Ginny! You're sure stirring up a lot of excitement for those of us awaiting our cruises! -Sandy-

I'm going to see if I can remember all the questions. Easier to read the boards, then go offline to respond. I can't remember who asked what...

Great idea about taking a photo of the Butler. I took one of Judy, the room steward. I'll get Amit to pose for me as well.

There are some fabulous night lights in the room, so stubbing one's toe needn't happen, however, I highly recommend a mini flashlight that you keep by your bedside. I have one of the kind that you squeeze on vs turn on. It works great. Also, I found it easier to walk OUTSIDE the drapes and enter at the end of the drape by the cappuccino machine. I draw the drapes every night because the DVD led lights are too bright at night. I draw the side drape in the a.m. because I wake at 4'ish and hubby sleeps until 8'ish. And I turn on the cappuccino machine any time I want. He can sleep through it or wake - I frankly don't worry 'bout that. And don't worry if your machine says dragdrawer full and has a ? displaying. The room stewards take care of it. It's time to brew a cup now, but I'll forgo my addition to write this reply.

The Murder Mystery is a luau. On the crown it took place on a cruise ship and someone threw the captain overboard. No charge, sign up when you see it in the Daily. Ours appeared on the first day. We had the Concierge sign us up. 100 people. Our group had 8 characters. Two were optional. (We didn't have any optional characters on the Crown.) The two optional characters tell you right off the bat that they are not suspects. We split into groups and some at at Indigo and others at the Summer Palace. It was the first time we dinned in the main dining rooms. I had prime rib end cut and it was delicious. The double baked potato was not hot. Actually, it wasn't even warm. Everyone enjoyed their meals. I liked the ambience of the place.

I'm going to go look for the closet light. I really HATE not seeing my clothes - I wear mostly black or navy and I can't even SEE my clothes let alone determine the color! We put about 6 hangars on top and about 6 more on the floor. We removed the robes and hung them on the hooks. We made a good amount of space, but there's really NO room to hang. I'm not an over-packer either. I wear mostly acetate and spandex stuff because it's wrinkle resistant. My down jacket I hung over the dining area chair.

I SEE THE LIGHT!!!!

Ok, you penthouse folks... there IS a light in the closet! It is actually built into the bar that you hang your clothes on! What a clever idea! The only problem is our bar doesn't light up! (and neither does my magnifying make-up mirror.) We found two light switches on either side of the closet that do nothing. We can only presume they are to light the closet bar. We'll ask that they be fixed today and I'll report back.

To clarify, there is no "back" in the closet; doors open on both the front and back. It has stern side and a bow side - the port and starboard sides are doors that open. Mirrored on the vanity side and solid on the hallway side. I enter from the vanity side and hubby from the hall side... isn't that how it SHOULD be? (grin)

Another tip... under the flat screen TV is another vanity stool. If you drag this over to the settee you can use it as a foot rest. It fits perfectly at the foot of the chair to make that into somewhat of a lounge chair. Very comfy.

WIRELESS IN THE ROOM

It's very convenient not to have an ethernet cable (which I stupidly forgot). I am using the plug by the loveseat and using the glass table to hold my laptop. works great and is out of the way.

Ahhhh the fog entering Glacier Bay has lifted, so I'm going to stop typing and start shooting some photos. I will take some detailed photos of the closet so you can see what I mean about the size, doors, and the light. I'll need to attach my flash though as it's DARK in there right now!

I'm just really pleased that I booked this same room (location as well) on the Jewel for the Baltics. I may look to upgrading it if possible as Del is not keen on having to scoot sideways in the hallways on either side of the closet. I'll try to get some shots of those narrow hallways. I just hate shooting into mirrors.

Ginny,

Check to see if your mirror is plugged in under the vanity. Did you find the nightlights under the nightstands? There isn't much drawer space, either. We had two safes in 9500, is it the same in 9670? I kept getting caught on the knobs for the cabinets across from the closet.

The reason we moved the bench was that Richard was just out of the boot from breaking a toe - and he didn't want to do it again! :eek:

Margord' date='

No charge for the Murder Mystery Dinner. # is limited (maybe around 100?) and you sign up in advance. You are put into a group of 8 (or form your own) and everyone has dinner together in one of the DR's. You find out after dinner who did it.

[/quote']

Snorklin'barb,

Thanks so much for the information. Don't know if you remember but we were to be on the same cruise last Fall. The Crown Princess out of NY. I believe you decided to cancel, but we talked on line a number of times.

Marilee

Hi Ginny!

I checked into the boards today and saw your name on a post. It's great to see the live posts you are doing. With all the cruises you have taken I would be surprised if there isn't some place you haven't been.

We had Alex and Amit on on back to back last year too. They were great. My daughter and sister-in-law had big crushes on Alex. He was amazing and we hope to catch him on another cruise. Please say hi to both from us.

We are on a back-to-back in November on the Gem in an owner's suite. We are going to miss the garden villa though - but there is only 2 of us on this one. I thought we might be cruised out with so many taken in the last 2 years - but I guess not. We also have a deposit on HAL for a Celtic voyage in late August.

Keep those updates coming.

Karen

Ginny,

I think you met my wife Susan at the Meet and Greet along with her mother, Bernice. Susan ran into Alex who was our concierge last May on the Dawn in a Romance Suite. Even though they are in a balcony cabin, and not a suite, they are being treated as VIPs. They are receiving new cards from Alex and the Hotel Direcrtor every day. Have they been down to your suite yet?

Jay

I left a standing invitation for the CC pax to visit our penthouse to check it out. So far no takers. I reported our lights out in the closet and on the vanity mirror. We'll see what happens.

I have cruised Alaska three times, but this is the first time I've been to Glacier Bay. I can honestly say if you haven't cruised Glacier Bay, you haven't cruised Alaska! It's absolutely stunning - awesome. I'd have to say it's the most beautiful place on earth. The Dawn Princess is right behind us and I got some great shots of her with glaciers as backdrops. If I had some cc'ers email addys who are on the Dawn Princess, they'd probably love these shots! As we pulled out of Skagway last evening, I saw a bazillion flashes on the Dawn's balconies of our ship. I'd like to have one of those. Maybe somebody can email a cc'er who's live from the Dawn Princess for me.

Earlier, we turned just in time to see a huge whale out of the water leaping in our wake in front of the Dawn Princess. Would you believe I didn't have a camera in my hand! I did manage to get a frolicking porpoise also just beside our wake. For those in our room, I took some sweet shots out the sliding glass doors with some glaciers behind. Great shots. Great view!

HI KAREN!!!! Nice to hear from you. I really do need to copy you on your back-to-backs. 15 days seems to be my longest cruise. Met some folks on this cruise who are doing back-to-backs as well. Have a gal on board who's on her 50th NCL cruise.

FYI... Mac and cheese is delicious!

We were supposed to have a good chance of catching glimpses of whales at 2:30 today, but it's already 3:05 and nary a whale in sight. Here fishy fishy... Fog is starting to roll in on the sides. It was spectacular when it lifted this morning. Everything is now battleship gray. The Dawn Princess is barely visible. Hubby perched himself in the chair in front of the sliding doors to catch a glimpse of whales... he's now fast asleep. Sun is shining on some snow capped peaks off the port side. A beautiful sight.

By the way, forgot to mentioned... the entire CC group on board was invited to free bowling and a complimentary drink at 4:00 on Saturday. Michel Klieverik sent an invitation to dine anywhere compliments of NCL. Also offered a free bottle of wine. We just need to call his secretary and present his letter to the Maitre'D and we will be accommodated. Nice guy. I don't know if this was to all the CC'ers or not, but I suspect it was.

The weather, though sunny, was very cold, so if you're scheduled for Glacier Bay, do come prepared.

Are you sure it's the Dawn Princess and not the Diamond Princess?

According to the cruise ship schedule, the Diamond Princess was in Skagway with you and it's the Diamond Princess who was scheduled to cruise Glacier Bay today. In fact in looking at her webcam, it showed her in Glacier Bay. The Dawn Princess webcam shows her in Ketchikan today.

Yes, we love Glacier Bay also. This will be our 3rd time seeing Glacier Bay. I'm so glad you're having a wonderful time!

I'll expect you'll have all the little problems in "our" penthouse fixed before our cruise a month from today! Thanks!

Hi Ginny! Thank you for taking us with you! I hope you post a pic of the fur/leather coat! Alaska is beautiful and that is the only place my husband will return to...Enjoy the rest of your trip. Had a great laugh regarding the closet light! Alex wont remember me, but tell him Coka says hello anyways (Jewel Thanksgiving week)...I still have his koala bear in my office.

Coka

Ginny, I looked at the 5/12 Diamond Roll Call and there's a Don who's been very active in getting the cc'ers together on that cruise. They were in Juneau, Skagway and Glacier Bay with you. His email is donbeck@ptd.net if you want to try emailing him to see if he or someone else onboard may have taken pictures of the Pearl or would be interested in seeing the pictures you took of the Diamond.

Have fun in Ketchikan tomorrow! Man, your week has gone by fast!

Archived