Tux or Suit Northern Europe?

skandls

Would you take a tux or suit to Northern Europe. I know if we were doing the Mediterranean it would be a tux but the Baltics are a question mark?

I tried to do a poll but it did not work.

I don't understand why you are differentiating between the Med and the Baltic. :confused:

If you've got a tux wear it if you haven't then take a suit.

Hubby takes his tux whether we're travelling to the Caribbean, Europe or the Baltic.

Formal is formal the world over.:p

When cruising Celebrity I never take a tux. It's extra bagage that is so little used. On our most recent Northern Europe trip (Norway and around England B2B) I had the impression the majority was NOT wearing a TUX.

If you have a black or dark suite with tie, it will do perfectly and you can use it for informal as well. Just use another shirt (less formal) and you're totally set.

I don't see the difference between Northern Europe and Med. at all. Why would there be a difference ? Would you wear a tux going to Alaska ?

If your DH has a tux, why take a suit instead? They both take up the same weight and space in the luggage.

Yes, but a Tux is only ussable on Formal nights and a suit as well on informal nights. If you take a Tux, you'll also need to take a suite for the informal nights. If you take a suit that can be used as well on Formal nights, it saves space.

Yes, but a Tux is only ussable on Formal nights and a suit as well on informal nights. If you take a Tux, you'll also need to take a suite for the informal nights. If you take a suit that can be used as well on Formal nights, it saves space.

Not a bad idea. My DH takes a sport jacket for informal, but maybe he can take a suit and not bother with the jacket! He wears a suit everyday and I don't know if he has a dark one, but does it really matter? For a European cruise, we have to pack lighter.

I bought a tux last year for our Baltic Cruise on Constellation (before that I would have taken my dark suit), and was not sorry that I did. I also took two sports jackets with coordinating ties and slacks. DW took two long gowns, and at least two dressy outfits. These we wore regardless of whether it was informal or casual night. Tight packing? A bit, but worth it as far as we were concerned. We find that if we think we look good, we also feel good and that's the main idea of a cruise anyway. :) Casual clothes are worn all day, and it is nice to dress up since we are in such an nice atmosphere in the main dining room.

When we went on our first X cruise in Jan. I mentioned to my DH he needed to take a sports coat as well as formal wear.....He said "If thats the case I'll just take a dark suit and an extra pair of slacks"... I thought thats a great idea more room for me. :)

I used to take the tux and also a white dinner jacket. I alternated between the two during the cruise. I no longer take a tux. I take a dark suit and use the jacket as a sport coat for informal nights. Cuts way down on the packing (formal shoes, cummerbuns and other formal accessories were always a nuisance).

A combination of the current relaxation of dress and the airline restrictions made the decision for me.

• 3 weeks later...

amazing,

For gentlemen, a business suit actually is "semiformal" and thus too dressy for an "informal" evening. The proper attire for an "informal" evening is a sport coat and slacks.

Norm.

If your DH has a tux, why take a suit instead? They both take up the same weight and space in the luggage.

DUH! Well said! I always wonder when someone posts that.:confused: Like a tux is SOOOO much heavier than a suit!!!!

Having said that---we take one rolling garment bag with ALL the formal wear. DH takes his tux, 3 tux shirts, accessories and I take 3 gowns along with 3 semi/in formal outfits. The shoes & evening bags fit elsewhere!:rolleyes: Then we have the rest of the luggage for everything else and we're covered for all occasions! Sport coats, no ties, slacks and all my stuff!!!!!!:p

Would you take a tux or suit to Northern Europe. I know if we were doing the Mediterranean it would be a tux but the Baltics are a question mark?

On our Baltic Cruise on Constellation last year, my husband wore his Tuxedo and he was in the majority.

Bottom line is "Wear what you want to wear". If you're a tux kind of person, wear it. I can't imagine that all these cruise people look around to see if they are in the minority or not. You are never going to see these people again. Who cares!

If I owned a tux, I would have taken it on the cruise. Is there really a better opportunity to wear it?

Just got back from the same itinerary on Century, and I would guess that about 20-30% of the men were wearing tuxes.

DallasTX

A TUX ALL of the time. As a European I can say that anybody wearing a suit is rather looked down upon, rightly or wrongly this is the way it is. Anyway, why dress down to a suit which takes the same amount of room as a Tux and nobody can pursuade me that a suit looks better than a TUX.

Have a good trip.

Thanks Britguyespana, I do think proper formal wear is a tux - so thats what we are taking. I tend to overdress on cruises because of my first cruise. We booked a Caribbean cruise with Cunard in the early eighties. Because of a couple of cancellations we were offered a deal we could not refuse. The QE2 8 nights for the 3/4 passenger rate. When we embarked we were upgraded to Grill class. Being from Southern California - we thought a suit was really dressed up. We were the most underdressed couple in the Queens Grill. After that my husband bought a tux that travelled when needed.

We have seen a big decline in cruising dress codes especially the last 5 years. Some cruises we have been on there have been only a handful of tux wearing gents.

So thanks to you all - I bought a new 'formal gown' for myself. Tux with accessories are being packed. We are looking forward to dressing up - leaving next Thursday for our June 30 embarkation. DH looks so good in a tux - our travel companions will be a little jealous.

Love reading these replies! I always feel a cruise is a lifetime dream come true for me. I always wanted to be a princess and my wedding along with all the proms were just soooooo much fun dressing up to be a princess! Now I love dressing up again on cruises!!!:D

Patty G

I think there are too many people who think like you do"you will never see these people again so who cares!" I'm no prude but I think you should dress for the occasion. If I didn't want to dress up I would go to the buffet. That is my opinion.

We'll be on the 6/27 Baltic on Century with 3 other couples. Two of the men will be wearing a tux on formal nights and two will be wearing dark suits - just as the choices are called for in Celebrity's information. I personally feel very uncomfortable in a tux, don't own one, can't justify the expense of renting, and did not feel out of place when we were in the Med on Millie last year. Having said that, I know that my fellow travelers and my DW could care less whether I'm in a tux or dark suit.

I feel quite sure I will be properly attired, in tune with Celbrity's published dress standards, on formal nights and shame on those who would think otherwise. At my point in life I prefer to dress as I please while doing my best to adhere to the published dress code.

Do what you want but try not to wear a clown suit on formal nights.:)

Archived