What night is more formal 1st or 2nd

oraf7

Trying to plan is the 1st or 2nd night more formal. Or are they equally the same? Going on the Crown Princess if it matteres

Many here will tell you the Captain's gala but I can't see any differance myself. Some people go all out others dress more "after 5".

I never understand this questions. Formal is Formal. How can one be more formal than the other. If I am wearing formal wear it is usually an evening gown and my SO has on a Tux. We also have found that both formal nights are the same in attire and don't usually see any distinction between the 1st or 2nd formal nights.

Both my dresses are formal, one is fancier than the other perhaps.

One dress I have is a light (as in material weight) velour black dress with a low back and "rhinestone" spaghetti straps.

The second dress is white strapless, satin gown with sequins and beading. It needs to be taken in quite a bit, but I am leaving that until later just in case I gain or lose some weight. I am hoping it isn't too "Pouffy" for a cruise, I've never cruised before... Here is a pic in it's too large glory (looks silly too big on me :o ) , is this dress ok for a cruise??

Dress002.jpg

Hi,:) it is a beautiful gown, but in my opinion it looks a bit like

a wedding dress.

I am not critisizing your choice, just making an observation.

Enjoy your cruise:)

Count me in as another one who doesn't quite get it, why people think one night is more formal than the other. They are both formal.

Albino Mosquito, my first thought was your dress looks like a wedding gown as well. Not that that is a bad thing :) , if I were you (I'm not - I'm a whole lot older) I might do something with the dress to change it a bit. Add a colored belt, hem it to a tea length, wear your hair down instead of up.

For me, logically speaking (not experience), the only reason why the first one is more formal is just because it is "lobster night" (i think) and it's the first formal night so everyone is excited to put their best foot forward the first time around.

While there is no OFFICIAL "more formal" night, the first night in GENERAL has more formal attire just because of the aformentioned reasons I concluded to out of logic and common sense.

I, personally, will try and be equally as formal on both nights.. just because I can. :)

And for Albino, I don't know how black would look with an all white dress. If you want a colored wrap, maybe a more subtle color like pink, lavendar, or something. It is beautiful, however, I agree with a previous mention that it looks a little like a wedding dress. Along with getting it tightened to fit, have you considered getting it shortened to mid calf? I think it would look SO cute and more casual (but still TOTALLY formal).. and you could wear some adorable white strappy shoes and some dark red toe nail polish. :) I'd have to see the dress in person to know if it would really work, but try pulling the dress up to see if you think it would look good.

shoe ideas for the shortened dress idea:

http://www.shoes.com/productimages/shoes_iaec1034629.jpg

http://www.shoes.com/productimages/shoes_iaec1020813.jpg

Hi, every cruise I have been on the lobster has been

served on the 2nd formal evening;) and that would be the same

night as the "Baked Alaska Parade" for dessert on many of the

cruiselines.

Quote:

"For me, logically speaking (not experience), the only reason why the first one is more formal is just because it is "lobster night" (i think) and it's the first formal night so everyone is excited to put their best foot forward the first time around".

I agree with the gals who say they are both formal and I dress

up for them both:) equally.

Oh, maybe it was different on RCCL about lobster night? Or maybe I'm wrong, I can't remember. But I think my reasoning for the rumor to get circulated still stands logically.

But, did you see my sentence after your quote of me?

"I, personally, will try and be equally as formal on both nights.. just because I can."

Hi:) I wasn't trying to be rude.

I was just giving my experiences too;) and yes, I saw your

post so we are in agreement:D

I was rereading that post and thought maybe the sentence (that we agreed on) got lost in all my mindless jibber jabber. I just got off work a couple of hours ago and so I'm up really late right now! As a matter of fact, the sun is up! And with that, I'm going to call it a night. :)

I was just trying to theorize why people thing the first night is more formal, but I have no real experience in the matter. haha

The dress is very pretty - I agree that I'd add some color, though.

I found on RCCL that the first formal night seemed more formal - why I don't know - I'm formal for both nights and even this newest cruise in August (which is first time on Carnival) DH & DS will be wearing tux's ---- they will look wonderful and if they are overdressed for the cruise line ... so be it - I'm wearing bright purple the first formal night and turquoise the second

AmberMarie - where I'm from lobster is considered to be picnic food and very messy - I have a difficult time getting all dressed up and eating lobster!!! Now wearing jeans and a tee, with tons of paper towels - steamers - butter - the outdoors with the sun shining .... that's lobster time. Jan

The first formal night is usally the Captain's Welcome, the 2nd is the Farewell Gala, so both are equally FORMAL. I dress in a long formal gown for both. Although I did notice there weren't as many formal photos the 2nd night. The first night the photo spots were noticeable all over the ship, whereas the 2nd night you didn't even see the photographers if you weren't looking. On HAL, RCCL and NCL the first formal night was when you waited in line to get your photo taken with the Captain. But on our recent Celebrity cruise they didn't even take a photo with the Captain at all.

Your gown is beautiful and I think a black sash or sheer jacket would love good with it. I mix and match black and white all the time. Have a great cruise!

AmberMarie - where I'm from lobster is considered to be picnic food and very messy - I have a difficult time getting all dressed up and eating lobster!!! Now wearing jeans and a tee, with tons of paper towels - steamers - butter - the outdoors with the sun shining .... that's lobster time. Jan

I agree, but some people thing Lobster Night equals Dress Up More, because it's "lobster!" :)

I will dress up on both nights just because I can.

i wore the SAME thing on both nights "shock horror". So did one of our female dinner partners and plenty of other people actually. I saw lots of different ideas of formal on both nights... i wont go into that here though cause it really pi**ed me off! more people seemed to make an effort the first formal night though!

lol it is just a prom dress from Sears, not sure how my hair will be, in the pic it was just in a scruffy bun/ponytail to beat the summer heat :)

I have a black "see throughy" sash/wrap I could use, not sure how it would look though?

I have noticed there are lots of white prom dresses now and they are beuatiful and could go for a small informal wedding but the biggest diffeance is no trane in the dress and no buttions camaflauging the zipper that most wedding gowns have.

I know my daughter bought a prom dress several years ago in off-white and when her friends married a couple of years later-it looked like the same gown except her friend's had a trane made into it, the buttons on the zipper and was more a pure white then an off white.

Hi, every cruise I have been on the lobster has been

served on the 2nd formal evening;) and that would be the same

night as the "Baked Alaska Parade" for dessert on many of the

cruiselines.

Quote:

"For me, logically speaking (not experience), the only reason why the first one is more formal is just because it is "lobster night" (i think) and it's the first formal night so everyone is excited to put their best foot forward the first time around".

I agree with the gals who say they are both formal and I dress

up for them both:) equally.

Correct Lois for every 7 day cruise I have been on-no matter the line. Amber, on my Mariner of the Seas cruise in 2005, lobster was the second formal night-no parade anymore of baked alaska though on RCI.

I just got back from a 7-day cruise on Caribbean Princess (sister ship to Crown Princess). I think both nights were equally formal. The lobster night was the second night, also it's the Captain's Circle party (for repeat passengers) so a lot of people were dressed very nicely.

From experience I think that the first formal night people tend to dress up more. (It's usually a sea day).. Although, "formal is formal" from a dress point of view, we have experienced certain cruises where we opted to forego the whole formal dress (even though we brought the outfits with us!!) on the 2nd formal night...

DH takes a tux and will usually wear it the first formal night because chances are, we might not do the second one!!

It was a port intensive day on one cruise and we just didn't feel like dressing for dinner on the 2nd formal night. (If I remember, we didn't even eat dinner that night!!)

Overall, I don't think one night is more formal than the other but from what I've seen, the first night there are more in attendance!!

Archived