Cruise Challenged

magictam

This cruising thing has turned into a real challenge for me. I've coordinated and booked everything myself and have found this to be a real frustrating experience. Especially since this is my first cruise and I know NOT what I'm doing.

Anyway, On Monday, I called the 800 number on my confirmation form to change my cabin. The operator I spoke with was extremely pleasant and very helpful. She cancelled my existing booking and transferred everything over to a new cabin and booking number for me. I did ask at the time if my shore excursion and pre-paid drink cards would transfer with me. She assured me they would.

When I got home and checked the new email confirmation, I noticed that my on board credit was no longer there and my confirmed main/upper dining option was missing. I just assumed (and we all know what that means) they would transfer over too.

Tuesday I called back the 800 number, spoke with another nice woman who was able to re-instate my on board credit, but said I would have to be waitlisted number 5 for upper dining again. I didn't think that was fair and she suggested I call ship services. She actually transferred me there. And another pleasant woman re-instated my confirmed main/upper dining option. That night I received 2 emails confirming the re-instatement of these items.

Today, when I checked my email, I have 3 notices in there from HAL. Now my shore excursion and 2 drink cards have been cancelled and refunded since I cancelled my cruise. So guess what I'll be doing tomorrow!

My sister went through her TA to also change cabins, her original booking was cancelled another issued and all her stuff has been cancelled too.

Thanks for listening (reading) to me vent! Wish me luck. I'm having nightmares that while I think I have all this fixed here, when I get on the ship, it won't be and I'll be told that "SEATTLE" messed up again.

I hope you get everything straightened out. I don't know why they can't make things easy and just transfer everything since it was the same cruise. I guess that would make too much sense. Hopefully things will go smooth and just remember to take copies of all your confirmations with you (not that it will do any good!!).

Did you look for the shore ex. under your new booking number?

Last fall I had a 3 segment cruise and each of the booking numbers were changed (originally booked 1+yrs earlier when HAL used a different booking system). I got credit for all the shore ex. I had signed-up for but then found that they had been rebooked and recharged under my new booking numbers. All went well with the credit card refunds and charges as well. This was for 64 days of cruising so there were a number of changes necessary. Thge cancellation notices arrived several days before I was notified by e-mail of the new confirmations.

Your situation may be different, but do look them up under your new booking number. They may be there.

Magictam,

I think you are doing everything right. You seem to be ahead of the game. You're doing your homework and are aware of what's going on. For a first cruiser you are far beyond where I was at that time. Your efforts will pay off. Don't get frustrated, the planning is half the fun. After you get through with the logistics of the process you'll be in the "fun" part.

I'm impressed with your planning.

Try to make this an enjoyable time,

GN

I agree with those who are asking why HAL had to cancel and then rebook if you were only changing cabins on the same sailing. I just did that two days ago and everything stayed the same ... res #, amenities, etc.

But when I cancelled another HAL cruise and changed completely to a different ship, date, and cabin category, all my shore ex and pre-purchased drink cards were cancelled and refunded immediately to my credit card.

You're doing a great job keeping tabs on all this, I might say....

I guess I'm dense ... but why on earth do they need to cancel and rebook when someone is just changing cabins on the same sailing? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I think that's just the way the cruise lines do it. Technically you are cancelling an existing booking, but making a new one. They then issue a new booking number and cancel the old one. However, I can't understand why things like pre-booked shore excursions, drink cards purchased, etc. ... can't just be moved over to the new booking. It should be as simple as clicking "yes" on an option on the computer screen.

Like someone else on this thread said ... the OP could have saved a whole boatload of troubles if she had just used a reputable travel agent. The agent then would have done all the work for her.

Blue skies ...

--rita

You did cancel your reservation by changing cabins. A new confirmation was required. You are lucky they allowed the transfer of the OBC. Sometimes they do not.

IMO, they really did nothing out of the ordinary. Their handling of it may seem to have been unusual but it isn't IMO

You would have saved much work if you had chosen to use a service oriented TA.

It sounds you have most of it worked out and shouldn't have any more difficulties. I think you did fantastic as a new cruiser to plow through all of that. I could not have for our first cruise. Well done. Sorry it was so frustrating to you but it really is 'regular course of business' for most cruise lines.

It will be so worth it when you enjoy your great cruise.

Now you understand why we always recommend that a new cruiser (and even very experienced ones) use a travel agent. Everything on board ship is tied to your cabin number. Your cabin number is tied to your booking number. Change either, and everything must be re-initiated. A good TA knows that, and knows exactly what to do to achieve it.

It is possible, of course, to do it all yourself but it isn't a logical process at all. You can still find a good TA and transfer the booking to them (at no cost to you) which may give you much greater peace of mind.

I have always used the same on line TA, with the exception of one Cunard trip, which was booked through the cruise line. I haven't had any problems but I have to admit that I chafe at the bit a little when I hear the on line TA ask really, really stupid questions. Then I realize I could be doing a better job on my own! I just like the power of the on line TA if I should have a problem. I've thought about using a local TA but I don't have the patience- I usually book in the middle of the night after surfing for weeks- and I'm afraid it will close down, leaving me (and my booking) stranded.

Your problems could have been avoided if you had used a good local travel agent.

Ginnie

GOOD is the operative word there. I had a local travel agent for MY first cruise and got ROYALLY worked. I ended up having to write the president of the agency to get my refund of over $600!

I know EXACTLY how the OP feels as this stuff happened to me also. Actually, I had problems because my original TA told me to pay upfront for the ENTIRE cruise!! But that's not the issue here.

Magictam, unfortunately, when you change cabins you do get new booking numbers and the like. Sometimes you'll find a good TA (local or internet I don't think it really matters if they are good) who knows the ins and outs and will transfer everything for you. Other times, like in your situation and my situation, you find that bad TA who doesn't know what they are doing and then it becomes your responsibility to make sure everything is in order.

I can assure you, though, that ALL of the hassle is WAAAAAY worth it once you step on board. We had an AMAZING time on the Noordam and I'm sure you will too!! Good luck with everything!

This cruising thing has turned into a real challenge for me. I've coordinated and booked everything myself and have found this to be a real frustrating experience. Especially since this is my first cruise and I know NOT what I'm doing.

Anyway, On Monday, I called the 800 number on my confirmation form to change my cabin. The operator I spoke with was extremely pleasant and very helpful. She cancelled my existing booking and transferred everything over to a new cabin and booking number for me. I did ask at the time if my shore excursion and pre-paid drink cards would transfer with me. She assured me they would.

When I got home and checked the new email confirmation, I noticed that my on board credit was no longer there and my confirmed main/upper dining option was missing. I just assumed (and we all know what that means) they would transfer over too.

Tuesday I called back the 800 number, spoke with another nice woman who was able to re-instate my on board credit, but said I would have to be waitlisted number 5 for upper dining again. I didn't think that was fair and she suggested I call ship services. She actually transferred me there. And another pleasant woman re-instated my confirmed main/upper dining option. That night I received 2 emails confirming the re-instatement of these items.

Today, when I checked my email, I have 3 notices in there from HAL. Now my shore excursion and 2 drink cards have been cancelled and refunded since I cancelled my cruise. So guess what I'll be doing tomorrow!

My sister went through her TA to also change cabins, her original booking was cancelled another issued and all her stuff has been cancelled too.

Thanks for listening (reading) to me vent! Wish me luck. I'm having nightmares that while I think I have all this fixed here, when I get on the ship, it won't be and I'll be told that "SEATTLE" messed up again.

To be very honest I don't think you have much to complain about - financially (always a concern) you've lost nothing and now know how not to arrange things!

A 'thumbs up' to the Agents you spoke with.

Don't forget to carry all your re-confirmation e-mails and papers. Chances are everything will be fine but better safe than sorry.

As has been said, Get a good TA for the next cruise or phone to make the reservation.:)

I guess I'm dense ... but why on earth do they need to cancel and rebook when someone is just changing cabins on the same sailing? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Could be that it was a Category change, not just a cabin change. We did that once and received a new booking number. We had no excursions, add-ons booked so don't know about that.

We never book such things until after final payment has been made. Can't see having excursion costs racking up interest for the cruise line. Two weeks prior to sailing we've found to be ample time to order 'in cabin' drinks, flowers etc.

Your problems could have been avoided if you had used a good local travel agent.-Ginnie

Like someone else on this thread said ... the OP could have saved a whole boatload of troubles if she had just used a reputable travel agent. The agent then would have done all the work for her.--rita

You would have saved much work if you had chosen to use a service oriented TA.

Now you understand why we always recommend that a new cruiser (and even very experienced ones) use a travel agent. Everything on board ship is tied to your cabin number. Your cabin number is tied to your booking number. Change either, and everything must be re-initiated. A good TA knows that, and knows exactly what to do to achieve it. - dave

As has been said, Get a good TA for the next cruise or phone (I made all may arraingments by phone followed by email confirmatiosn) to make the reservation.-WillieF

In my first, original posting, I stated my sister went through her TA (she booked her cruise w/her TA the same day I booked mine through HAL (by phone in February 2007) on the same ship, date, etc).

On the same day I changed my cabin, she called her TA and changed her cabin. It wasn't until 2 days later (same day as me) that she received emails from HAL that her pre-paid gifts and shore excrusion was also cancelled. My sister thinks she is dealing with a good, local, reputable agent. Are y'all saying she's not?

I don't understand why they cancelled the booking, all they had to do was change the cabins...

I agree with those who are asking why HAL had to cancel and then rebook if you were only changing cabins on the same sailing. I just did that two days ago and everything stayed the same ... res #, amenities, etc.

I think that's just the way the cruise lines do it. Technically you are cancelling an existing booking, but making a new one. They then issue a new booking number and cancel the old one. However, I can't understand why things like pre-booked shore excursions, drink cards purchased, etc. ... can't just be moved over to the new booking. It should be as simple as clicking "yes" on an option on the computer screen.

Glad I am to see I'm not the only one who doesn't understand why it should be so difficult.

IMO, they really did nothing out of the ordinary. Their handling of it

may seem to have been unusual but it isn't IMO

When I called and spoke w/Shelia (the HAL Representative) on Monday, I clearly asked if this new booking number would effective my pre-paid gifts and excursions. Sheila assured it would not. When I called back on Tuesday, Jennifer (the HAL Representative) couldn't understand why Shelia didn't just change my cabin number. If they don't understand how or why it happend how was I suppose to.

In this day of computerizing everything there ought to be a way to make these changes easier, and HAL should train their personal correctly so they are giving out the right information. It shouldn't take 3 phones over a course of 3 days to correct things. I shouldn't receive surprise emails saying things were cancelled when I was assured this would not happened.

To be very honest I don't think you have much to complain about - financially (always a concern) you've lost nothing and now know how not to arrange things!

Geez, I didn't know I was complaining. I certainly didn't say or imply I had lost anything financially. As I said I am frustrated trying to figure out all the ins and outs and understanding everything.

I really hope every time you embark an a new adventure you totally understand how to arrange it on your first attempt, that you never encounter any problems and enjoy the most perfect experience.

We never book such things until after final payment has been made. Can't see having excursion costs racking up interest for the cruise line. Two weeks prior to sailing we've found to be ample time to order 'in cabin' drinks, flowers etc.

Not that this is any of your business, but neither my cruise, drink cards, shore excursions (I have some booked independently) are "racking up interest" as I've paid cash for everything (using my debit card). I like the peace of mind know when I come home from vacation, I won't still be paying for it.

A great big thank to everyone's encouragement, pats on the back and suggestions.

I've decided not to re-order the drink cards. I have read a number of posts, saying their pre-ordered stuff wasn't there and a hassle to get and recently a number of return cruisers have said they are not really worth the money. As I don't drink much soda or alcohol (though I may take it up on a more permanent basis now) I think I'll just order while on the ship.

Since I have not seen the refund of the 1 shore excursion I booked with HAL, I'm going to wait before I rebook it.

Happy cruising to all and to all a good nite!

Maybe it's my hormones and I'm just not reading all your posts correctly, but it seems like you are a tad bit defensive. The advice that was and has been given to you is accurate. I think that when one asks for advice or to see if what has been done is "usual" then one should be grateful for the advice and personal experiences given.

"We never book such things until after final payment has been made. Can't see having excursion costs racking up interest for the cruise line. Two weeks prior to sailing we've found to be ample time to order 'in cabin' drinks, flowers etc."

Not that this is any of your business, but neither my cruise, drink cards, shore excursions (I have some booked independently) are "racking up interest" as I've paid cash for everything (using my debit card). I like the peace of mind know when I come home from vacation, I won't still be paying for it.

You may have paid cash for everything, but the point is that HOLLAND AMERICA was making interest off of what you paid instead of YOU making interest in your checking account. I too paid for everything from my checking account, and unless your bank offers you no interest you SHOULD be getting between .5 and 1.5% of your savings. This response, IMO, was your rudest out of all of them.

And yes, your sister's TA might not be that great when it comes to planning CRUISES. Cruises are an entire different beast than most TA's are familiar with and your sister's TA might not have really KNOWN what to do. Either way, yes, this was a headache, but in a few months you will be on your WONDERFUL cruise and REALLY have reason to relax.

Again, I'm hormornal and it could be that your intent was lost in translation (as so frequently happens on web boards). If you did not mean to come across as rude and ungrateful then I apologize for this post. But if you did, I honestly can't understand why you would be so upset about what people have posted.

magic,

I join others in wondering why changing cabins would mena a new booking. I have changed cabins many times and NEVER has it caused a new booking #.

You're doing things correctly by being on top of what's happening and not "assuming" details switched with the booking change. It will all be OK.

Magictam, From your original post I incorrectly assumed you did everything on line, for that I apologise.

"Geez, I didn't know I was complaining. I certainly didn't say or imply I had lost anything financially. As I said I am frustrated trying to figure out all the ins and outs and understanding everything."

Believe me, I’d no intention of ‘shooting you down’ as you seem to feel and suggest you go back and read your initial post. Could be that’ complaining’ was the wrong word but you for sure were not a happy camper. Also, I did not suggest or imply that you lost any money.

"I really hope every time you embark an a new adventure you totally understand how to arrange it on your first attempt, that you never encounter any problems and enjoy the most perfect experience."

I wouldn’t think of embarking on a new adventure having, as you admit, no real idea how to go about it. We can’t afford that kind of thing. Cruise vacations tend to cost a bundle, mistake can be costly.

"Not that this is any of your business, but neither my cruise, drink cards, shore excursions (I have some booked independently) are "racking up interest" as I've paid cash for everything (using my debit card). I like the peace of mind know when I come home from vacation, I won't still be paying for it."

Again you misunderstood my comment …….regardless of how you paid, debit card, cash or credit card, the cruise line is earning interest on your money, usually for many months before you receive any benefit. We too pay ’cash’ be it be by Debit card or check.....and our CC’s are paid in full a few days prior to due date. Little as it may be, money in the bank earns interest! No way do we wish to be paying for a vacation for months after our return.

I wish you a happy cruise!

Archived