Sir, That's Not Fecal Water Flooding Your Cruise Ship Stateroom, That's Brown Glue

nickt41

What is the ship supposed to do then, put them in crew space? Put them up in the infirmary?

Yes - even the Captain's cabin if that's what's necessary to provide accomodations free of sewage and filth.

Even folks in the lowest categories didn't pay good money for third-world living conditions.

I'll be cruising on the Statendam in 10 days and have a cabin on the main deck so I'm wondering if it was my cabin that was involved and if they have fixed the situation by replacing the carpet and not just covering it up.

I know that others will have been sailing on the ship since then but I still have concerns. As a new cruiser, I see that these ship dock and then turn right around with a new group of passengers. When do they have time to fix something like this? From the looks of the picture, the whole carpet should be replaced but can they do that in Vancouver or Seward in a couple of hours?

They can do those type of repairs on the ship within hours! Each ship has carpenters on board. Semi big job involving moving some furniture out? Sure it is, but it can be done.

I'm not one to do a lot of complaining about things like worn furniture on my balcony, scratched paint in a lifeboat, pesky photographers, etc. but this was no "little thing". The hotel manager himself should have been involved in making these pax feel whole again. If there were no vacant pax cabins on Statendam, these folks should have been moved elsewhere i.e. in officer country until that entire cabin was disinfected, cleaned and the carpet replaced. And yes, many times these type of "overflowing" problems are caused by pax throwing stuff down their toilets that don't belong in there. HAL needs to do something here besides a $150 pp credit

Continental gave a voucher of $500, which may or may not have appeased the passengers..

Agree, Passengers should have been put elsewhere & as others have said even in crew quarters if necessary.. Hal often has The Cast, Entertainers & Gentlemen Dance hosts, on Passenger decks..I would think one of those cabins should have been found..

Wonder really how much of a "stink" (sic) this Gentleman made at the front desk..I would be livid & insisting on seeing the Hotel Manager, First officer, Captain if necessary...Don't really think many Passengers actually understand that the HM is in charge..

It would be interesting to know if the passengers made a complaint to Seattle and what the outcome will be..IMO that small shipboard credit was an insult!:(

Betty

I agree that you need to lean on the Hotel Manager for resolution of this sort of problem. The front desk will probably give you the least amount of effort. If the Hotel Manager had to occupy that cabin I wonder how long it would take to fix the problem ?

Holland America seems to be doing the least to rectify problems while doing everything it can to squeeze every last cent out of every revenue stream possible.

I wonder if the Alaska State Health Dept or the organization that rates the ships sanitary grade were to get involved if more action would occur ?

I find this situation outrageous. When problems like this happen, solutions ARE available. There is a whole "crew" floor where the crew beds down. Some officers could have been moved down there. Even if the penthouse had to be opened up, these poor people should not have had to remain in the cabin unless the situation had been rectified.

I think this situation needed much more than the front desk.

I know my DH would have found a creative solution. Camping out with hanging laundry sounds good to me. I would have opted for one of those lounge chairs in the Crow's Nest if the Crow's Nest wasn't otherwise occupied by a group.

There are problems and then there are problems. This one should have been rectified immediately.

I think this situation needed much more than the front desk.

I know my DH would have found a creative solution. Camping out with hanging laundry sounds good to me. I would have opted for one of those lounge chairs in the Crow's Nest if the Crow's Nest wasn't otherwise occupied by a group.

There are problems and then there are problems. This one should have been rectified immediately.

Count me in on being one of you who would 'camp out' somewhere. It makes me wonder if the 'complainer' made a big enough stink about it on the ship or just waited until he/she got home. Some people just roll over and submit to the least little authority--i.e. front desk workers. I would have escalated my complaining until everyone on the ship knew me AND my problem. Now, I'm not one who normally complains about ANYTHING, but this problem would have made me come 'unglued'.

Robin

On the otherhand, if the passenger was the cause of the problem, by flushing something inappropriate down the toilet, well then, they got what they deserved.

There is an unfortunate tendency on this board to blame the passenger when Holland America falls short, but this really takes the cake.

Nobody deserves sewage in their cabin for 3 days, even if they made a mistake. But consider this, it could have been another cabin that caused the problem. Or it could have been the result of faulty plumbing and not the result of a passenger mistake. In any case, no one deserves to spend nearly half their vacation in a puddle of molten poop for any reason.

There is an unfortunate tendency on this board to blame the passenger when Holland America falls short, but this really takes the cake.
While hammy did consider that blame may fall on the passenger with the 'brown water' cabin (NO basis for that IMHO), it is possible that someone else - cabins away, or possibly even another deck, it all depends on the plumbing set up - could have put something inappropriate down the toilet. The resulting clog could occur anywhere down the line. Either way, HAL did NOT do the right thing.

Oh, I do NOT consider a few posters (less than a handfull) "an unfortunate tendency" and it occurs on EVERY board.

Nobody deserves sewage in their cabin for 3 days, even if they made a mistake. But consider this, it could have been another cabin that caused the problem. Or it could have been the result of faulty plumbing and not the result of a passenger mistake. In any case, no one deserves to spend nearly half their vacation in a puddle of molten poop for any reason.

Actually, I do feel that a passenger who tosses what should not be tossed, into their toilet, deserves sewage in their cabin. I also believe they should pay for the down stream consequences.

While hammy did consider that blame may fall on the passenger with the 'brown water' cabin (NO basis for that IMHO), it is possible that someone else - cabins away, or possibly even another deck, it all depends on the plumbing set up - could have put something inappropriate down the toilet. The resulting clog could occur anywhere down the line. Either way, HAL did NOT do the right thing.

Oh, I do NOT consider a few posters (less than a handfull) "an unfortunate tendency" and it occurs on EVERY board.

And maybe this did not even happen. Ever consider that what we read , especially on the Internet, may or may not be true or is skewed?

And if it did, as portrayed, HAL really blew it.

And maybe this did not even happen. Ever consider that what we read , especially on the Internet, may or may not be true or is skewed?

And if it did, as portrayed, HAL really blew it.

Three sides to every story: his, HAL's and the truth, which generally is somewhere between the first two.

And, no, $150 OBC is far from satisafactory ... but if you accept that as fair settlement you have little right or reason to bad-mouth HAL. Indeed, there is an art to complaining properly and getting what you expect ... and the place to have done that was onboard, not in the media.

Would you please let us know how the ship is when you return? Hopefully all problems will be taken care of!

Anyone know the cabin number of problem cabin or the area on the main deck? We leave are booked on the main deck midship for September.

did you get a sample for analysis? You could have sent the results to the ship and let them know the glue story doesn't fly.

Linda

You know, I am hard-pressed to believe any cruise line would not find alternative accommodations for passengers in a cabin like this or that passengers would not INSIST something be done for them. If this did go down the way it is portrayed, it is the cruising version of Dumb and Dumber.

I think they book EVERY room, so there is nowhere but the infirmary and I wouldn't want to be where I know sick people are.

Linda

did you get a sample for analysis? You could have sent the results to the ship and let them know the glue story doesn't fly. Linda

Who is this question directed to:confused: ...The person who made this complaint on the Consumerist Web site has not posted on these boards..

Nick is simply directing us to look at this complaint on another site..

Would you please let us know how the ship is when you return? Hopefully all problems will be taken care of!

Anyone know the cabin number of problem cabin or the area on the main deck? We leave are booked on the main deck midship for September.

Don't believe anyone on this board would know the cabin Number unless they were on that ship with the person who posted the complaint on the Consumerist WEB site...

In any event, overflowing &/or stopped up toilets is common curse on all ships...However they have on board maintenance people who should be able to fix the leak & change the carpet..

I agree with Hammy, there are always other cabins (not necessarily Passenger cabins) that could have been utilized if these passengers made a big enough "stink"..

I can't believe anyone who stepped into that mess would have tolerated it for their family for one day, let alone three days..And accepting the paltry OBC is preposterous! .. Something seems to be missing from this story.. JMO..

Betty

Okay ya'll, I'm getting a whole lot of that 'blame the victim' vibe. Again. MOST of us have some limits on our behavior. In this day and age, if you raise too much cain, you can get in a lot of trouble. I mind my behavior on in the airport and I mind it on a ship. You probably won't ever hear me raising my voice to anyone and I've found crying isn't that effective either - even when you are definitely in the right and definitely being shafted by those in authority (at the airport, anyway). I did say, half-jokingly, that they'd have to move me if I were in a simiar situation because I would be puking my guts out over and over. Hey, maybe they wouldn't and then what would I do? Sleep on deck or on the balcony, I guess.

I don't know how much trouble someone is supposed to make or how they're supposed to respond when they are repeatedly rebuffed. Sometimes that calm perserverance does not work, obviously. What would satisfy ya'll? What would you think crossed a line? I have a feeling that if the dad had ended up tossed in the brig or put off at one of the ports for continuing to escalate that we would then hear criticism of THAT behavior and told persistence alone would have paid off. Sometimes, it does not pay off. If you haven't experienced that yet, then you have no idea of how frustrating it can be and how truly powerless you can feel.

Okay ya'll, I'm getting a whole lot of that 'blame the victim' vibe. Again. MOST of us have some limits on our behavior. In this day and age, if you raise too much cain, you can get in a lot of trouble. I mind my behavior on in the airport and I mind it on a ship. You probably won't ever hear me raising my voice to anyone and I've found crying isn't that effective either - even when you are definitely in the right and definitely being shafted by those in authority (at the airport, anyway). I did say, half-jokingly, that they'd have to move me if I were in a simiar situation because I would be puking my guts out over and over. Hey, maybe they wouldn't and then what would I do? Sleep on deck or on the balcony, I guess.

I don't know how much trouble someone is supposed to make or how they're supposed to respond when they are repeatedly rebuffed. Sometimes that calm perserverance does not work, obviously. What would satisfy ya'll? What would you think crossed a line? I have a feeling that if the dad had ended up tossed in the brig or put off at one of the ports for continuing to escalate that we would then hear criticism of THAT behavior and told persistence alone would have paid off. Sometimes, it does not pay off. If you haven't experienced that yet, then you have no idea of how frustrating it can be and how truly powerless you can feel.

A person does not have to be loud in order to be heard.. But, you must be persistent! There is no reason to feel powerless when you have a legitimate complaint, if you handle it correctly...This obviously is a legitimate complaint!

If I had stepped into that mess, & was concerned about my family's health, I would have been very persistent.. I would have asked to speak to the Supervisor of the Dept...And then if the supervisor could not help me I would ask for a Manager & continue on up the line...If necessary I would have asked to see the Capt... As others have said I also would have refused to allow my family to stay in that cabin after I stepped in that mess! It was disgusting! "It's the squeeky wheel that gets the oil"..

Surely you jest & really don't believe that a Capt. would throw someone in the Brig for bringing a complaint of this nature to his attention!

No where, in that post does the person say that he followed up with HAL in Seattle or the CDC...If you have a complaint as serious as that, it should be followed up...

I'm not blaming the victim! I'm just saying he should have been more proactive..

JMO...Betty

There is a report on the NCL board of passengers from a series of cabins that did not have AC. The way the story goes is that they were each offered $150 OBC. On disembarkation day, the passengers had a sit down in the lobby. They wanted a free cruise. Reportedly, NCL called the Coast Guard in and they were hauled off.

Oh, if cruise ships could talk.........

Archived