Pre and Post Cruise London Hotel

Hi:

Just booked 6 days for 3 people on aug 25, 2007 at the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum thru Hotwire.com. GREAT deal. Way cheaper than anything decent. even 10 lbs cheaper than Luna & Simone. click the 3 1/5 star. US 200/night good Luck

For others reading the thread, be aware of what you are and aren't buying when using an opaque site. Check http://www.betterbidding.com and http://www.biddingfortravel.com to check out the possibilities. We use good old $$ or hotel program points for hotels in Europe because we've found that many of the ones who are selling rooms on Hotwire and Priceline have very bad reviews on http://www.tripadvisor.com, so it's not worth it to us for international stays. There's a thread currently open from a board member who sounds as if they have buyer's remorse (3* Gatwick hotel with really bad ratings on Tripadvisor). Priceline and Hotwire are great to save $$, but they have some major disadvantages too.

Donna

I have been to the Thistle Hotels website but couldn't find out about rates & availability because I keep getting the message that " this property is restricted." By, to or from whom ????????????????????? Can someone explain???:eek: :eek: :eek:
I was in the Royal Horseguards visiting friends who were staying there, and it is nice. But they visited us at our hotel, the Chesterfield Mayfair on that trip (Red Carnation hotel), and we all agreed that it was significantly better. I've stayed in the Thistle Hyde Park, and this is the old Whites Hotel. It was nice too.

Have a great trip,

Donna

I'm traveling with two friends and the cruise line wants to book us into two separate rooms in their "official" pre-cruise hotel. I think it might be a better choice to find a hotel that also offers a additional sleeper sofa, rollaway, or suite-style accommodations. We're only staying for a couple of nights prior to our cruise next September. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm traveling with two friends and the cruise line wants to book us into two separate rooms in their "official" pre-cruise hotel. I think it might be a better choice to find a hotel that also offers a additional sleeper sofa, rollaway, or suite-style accommodations. We're only staying for a couple of nights prior to our cruise next September. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

It depends on how interested you are in saving money, IMO.

If the cruise line includes transportation to the hotel and then to the port, then it's probably a convenient package. That would be in comparison to a private car to take you to the hotel and port, plus getting your own hotel.

However, if you want to stay in a nice, but less expensive, hotel, and take National Express or the train, then doing it on your own can be much less expensive.

I know the hotel we stayed in had a "family" room that would sleep 4 - 6 in the room/suite.

There are other threads on this board with many hotel recommendations, depending on where you want to stay, and how much you want to spend. If you take the train, then stay near Paddington Station in London. National Express would be in the Victoria Station area (Central London).

I was in the Royal Horseguards visiting friends who were staying there, and it is nice. But they visited us at our hotel, the Chesterfield Mayfair on that trip (Red Carnation hotel), and we all agreed that it was significantly better. I've stayed in the Thistle Hyde Park, and this is the old Whites Hotel. It was nice too.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Thank you for posting your opinion that the Chesterfield Mayfair was significantly better than Royal Horseguards. This caused me to really look into it. My first thought, when looking at the location on the map, was that the Royal Horseguards was superior in location for a short stay. I then checked rates at Chesterfield Mayfair and they were 224 pounds per night for when I wanted to stay next April. That's a lot of money in U.S. currency. Finding a London hotel with a reasonably priced rate is becoming impossible. I think this might end up being my last visit to London until the currency situation does some correction. This may never happen. London is certainly feeling like the most expensive city in Europe when you compare the exchange rate to the countries using the Euro.

It depends on how interested you are in saving money, IMO.

If the cruise line includes transportation to the hotel and then to the port, then it's probably a convenient package. That would be in comparison to a private car to take you to the hotel and port, plus getting your own hotel.

However, if you want to stay in a nice, but less expensive, hotel, and take National Express or the train, then doing it on your own can be much less expensive.

I know the hotel we stayed in had a "family" room that would sleep 4 - 6 in the room/suite.

There are other threads on this board with many hotel recommendations, depending on where you want to stay, and how much you want to spend. If you take the train, then stay near Paddington Station in London. National Express would be in the Victoria Station area (Central London).

Peggy, Thanks for the quick response! I would prefer a room that accommodates all three of us primarily to see if we could save money. We'd miss out on the pre-packaged transfers but may be able to work out something comparable on our own. I'm just beginning my research. Could you tell me where you stayed that offered a "family" room?

Also -- we'll be sailing out of Dover on the new Carnival Splendor. Can't wait to see London for the very first time!

Thanks again,

Here is a little info from Dover:

Port of Dover

Cruise Terminal 2, Western Dock

Dover, Kent

The Port of Dover is located approximately 110 miles from London's Heathrow Airport (approximately 2 to 2 1/2 hours), approximately 85 miles from London's Gatwick Airport (approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours), approximately 95 miles from London's Stansted Airport (approximately 2 hours) and approximately 80 miles from Central London (approximately 1 1/2 hours).

Taxis are available. From Heathrow: £130.00 / From Gatwick £115.00 / From Stansted £130.00. (Rates subject to change).

Train service departs every 30 minutes from Dover Pier to Central London-Victoria or Charing Cross Stations, between 9:30am and 4:30pm.

Here is a little info from Dover:

Port of Dover

Cruise Terminal 2, Western Dock

Dover, Kent

The Port of Dover is located approximately 110 miles from London's Heathrow Airport (approximately 2 to 2 1/2 hours), approximately 85 miles from London's Gatwick Airport (approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours), approximately 95 miles from London's Stansted Airport (approximately 2 hours) and approximately 80 miles from Central London (approximately 1 1/2 hours).

Taxis are available. From Heathrow: £130.00 / From Gatwick £115.00 / From Stansted £130.00. (Rates subject to change).

Train service departs every 30 minutes from Dover Pier to Central London-Victoria or Charing Cross Stations, between 9:30am and 4:30pm.

Wow, thanks, Truffles! Is that train service National Express? I checked the trains leaving from Victoria and I'm concerned about their luggage restrictions. Wondering if a different train has different restrictions. I plan to bring one large suitcase on wheels and a carry-on, but NE limits you to two "medium" -sized bags in a very strange/small dimension.

Thanks again!

Wow, thanks, Truffles! Is that train service National Express? I checked the trains leaving from Victoria and I'm concerned about their luggage restrictions. Wondering if a different train has different restrictions. I plan to bring one large suitcase on wheels and a carry-on, but NE limits you to two "medium" -sized bags in a very strange/small dimension.

Thanks again!

National Express is the bus service, and it leaves from the Central Coach Station about 1.5 blocks from the Victoria Tube and Train station. As I posted in another thread, I think your luggage will be OK.

Thank you for posting your opinion that the Chesterfield Mayfair was significantly better than Royal Horseguards. This caused me to really look into it. My first thought, when looking at the location on the map, was that the Royal Horseguards was superior in location for a short stay. I then checked rates at Chesterfield Mayfair and they were 224 pounds per night for when I wanted to stay next April. That's a lot of money in U.S. currency. Finding a London hotel with a reasonably priced rate is becoming impossible. I think this might end up being my last visit to London until the currency situation does some correction. This may never happen. London is certainly feeling like the most expensive city in Europe when you compare the exchange rate to the countries using the Euro.

Have you looked into B&B Belgravia. Rooms with breakfast start at 107 pounds. It has won many awards and you can check out the reviews on Tripadvisor.

www.bb-belgravia.com

Peggy, Thanks for the quick response! I would prefer a room that accommodates all three of us primarily to see if we could save money. We'd miss out on the pre-packaged transfers but may be able to work out something comparable on our own. I'm just beginning my research. Could you tell me where you stayed that offered a "family" room?

Also -- we'll be sailing out of Dover on the new Carnival Splendor. Can't wait to see London for the very first time!

Thanks again,

Take a look at the Jurys Inn properties (jurysdoyle.com). The have double/ single rooms which are designed for three people (one double bed and one single bed). They have a property at Heathrow that is very convenient to the Piccadilly tube line.

Julia

Oh yes, I understand. The Royal Horseguards is very well located for tourist attractions and is in a busy area. The Chesterfield Mayfair is well located in a different way if you like walking in lovely areas close to the beaten path but very serene with beautiful small parks, etc. But that's immaterial if a property is not in your price range. The Red Carnation hotels have a lot of specials on the web site (you have to click around), but it may still not be an option for you. We found great specials on the RC web site for our stay in August and then for our in-laws in September last year. I'm sure you will enjoy the Royal Horseguards if you stay there. When we were in London last year, I thought the exchange rates were pitiful then as compared to our previous trips, but I know it's even worse now with no relief in sight. We will be there next year but will likely spend more time outside London because as you said, some places in Europe are just becoming too outrageously expensive to enjoy.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Oh yes, I understand. The Royal Horseguards is very well located for tourist attractions and is in a busy area. The Chesterfield Mayfair is well located in a different way if you like walking in lovely areas close to the beaten path but very serene with beautiful small parks, etc. But that's immaterial if a property is not in your price range. The Red Carnation hotels have a lot of specials on the web site (you have to click around), but it may still not be an option for you. We found great specials on the RC web site for our stay in August and then for our in-laws in September last year. I'm sure you will enjoy the Royal Horseguards if you stay there. When we were in London last year, I thought the exchange rates were pitiful then as compared to our previous trips, but I know it's even worse now with no relief in sight. We will be there next year but will likely spend more time outside London because as you said, some places in Europe are just becoming too outrageously expensive to enjoy.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Donna, thank you for your insight. You've been a help to me and I appreciate it. Maybe it's time I expand my horizons and move on to another area, which you've beautifully described....I'll check out some of the Red Carnation hotel options. (Royal Horseguards nags my mind as we've stayed there 5 or 6 times and we've had wonderful experiences staying in that area of town....plus it feels "comfortable" since we know where everything is around us)

(Royal Horseguards nags my mind as we've stayed there 5 or 6 times and we've had wonderful experiences staying in that area of town....plus it feels "comfortable" since we know where everything is around us)

Royal Horseguards nags my mind ....:rolleyes:

Bob :cool:

We are booked into the Park Inn Hyde Park, 5 days in May 2008. Any information on this hotel would grately appreciated. Will we be close the sights of London, transportation, restaurants, etc? Loaded question, would you stay there?

• 11 years later...
This hotel is modern, convenient and fairly well located. It is $180 which although sounding expensive isn't by London standards. It is highly recommended:

file://www.premiertravelinn.com/pti/hotelInformation.do?hotelId=23884

This one is similarly priced and worth a look:

file://www.choicehotels.com/ires/en-US/html/Availability?sid=FbMLi.$KJY0glq1g.6

Do you know if premier inn provides a hairdryer in the room? Trying to pack light. I would prefer not to bring a hairdryer for just the few days pre-cruise since the ship's cabin will have a hairdryer. thanks

Do you know if premier inn provides a hairdryer in the room? Trying to pack light. I would prefer not to bring a hairdryer for just the few days pre-cruise since the ship's cabin will have a hairdryer. thanks

This thread is from 2007 so the previous posters are probably no longer following this topic. You might want to start a new thread to ask those who have stayed at a Premier Inn recently.

We cruising out of Southampton and need suggestions for a pre and post hotel in London. We can't spend $$$$$ as the airfare and cruise are costing us plenty. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Even though this thread is old the question is something many budget travelers ask. I am a budget traveler who DIY when ever possible. I just got back from London yesterday and stayed at the comfort inn Buckingham Palace for 130£ which is cheap by London standards. It was clean and comfortable meeting their corporate standards. The location was ideal as this was our 3rd London visit and we learned from our previous trips that this location was best for a “pre or post” cruise stay. If we were doing strictly a land trip this area would not be our only choice.

This location is one block from the Victoria Coach station where you can catch the National Express bus to Southampton for 5£. It’s also only 2+ blocks from Victoria station where you can catch a train or take the tube to anywhere you want. There’s also a Grayline tour office and HOHO bus around the corner for those that prefer a stress free visit.

Thanks again,

I have taken the National Express Coach from LHR to London Victoria Coach (have to transfer to another coach) to Dover Ferry Terminal (taxi to dock sometimes the driver will drop off at the dock).

I have stayed at Premier Inn Ferry Terminal in Dover. If you have time visit Dover Castle with the war tunnels.

I have stayed 2x at Premier Inn Ferry Terminal Dover and 3x at Premier Inn Westminster London in twin beds, the room had a double and a day bed.

The Premier Inn Westminster is close to Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, London Eye, Parliament, Thamas river, HOHO, regular bus, Waterloo train station, tube, restaurants.