Singles on Celebrity.......

thepumpkin

I am considering a Mediterranean cruise late in the season on Century.I am in my 40s and single so am wondering if anyone has experienced a Celebrity european cruise as a solo traveller or can comment on the likelihood of singles in their 30s and 40s on Celebrity....a 10 day cruise. There is a 7 day RCCL cruise I can take but the itinerary on Galaxy is better and I gather Celebrity is a superior experience.I would appreciate any advice.

You will not find many other singles on Celebrity, due to their high single sumplement. For a similar price, you may want to consider Crystal; they only charge a 25% surcharge for singles. I enjoy X, but only sail with them when I have a friend traveling with me. Crystal is very singles friendly and also have Dance Hosts onboard every sailing. I have sailied Solo with them many times and have always had a wonderful time!

Hi,:) yes X has a high supplement but even Crystal's "regular prices"

are more than some of us can afford so the low supplement doesn't

help. (sort of like a catch 22~for me anyway).

I have been sailing solo on Celebrity for 4 years and love it:)

I have not been able to cruise the itinerary you are asking about

but Celebrity is my cruiseline of choice (whatever itineraries

I have been able to sail).

Good luck with your search:)

IMO, the length of the voyage as well as the line plays a large part in demographic.

I would agree that X will have a very limited number of solo travellers. On the other hand, most of the ships RCI deploys on the 7 day sailings are not very special.

X offers a more sophisticated experience overall and better food and service in general. The Aqua Spa Cafe on Century is very good and the ship nice since the renovation.

I have travelled solo on NCL, Carnival and RCI, not on X. Since I am content with a few good books and a sociable place for a martini or glass of wine, I would make my choice based on ship and itinerary. Ten days on Century would trump RCI in the Med, unless it was Brilliance on their longer itineraries.

Even RCCL in Europe isn't likely to have a much higher number of singles onboard due to their supplement as well. If you're deciding between just these two lines, I'd say go with Celebrity for the better cruise (itinerary) and roll the dice about other singles onboard. The nice thing about the ships with Celebrity and singles is that they're smaller and more intimate, so you meet the same people over and over, helping with that "I'm all alone and don't know anybody" single fear. Also, the European itineraries are so port intensive, there's little activity going on at night at all as most are off to bed at early hours. Definitely not a singles party time on any ship.

As a single, I highly recommend joining your roll call, finding people to share tours with and meet early in the cruise. Will make being single onboard much easier. There will be other singles. I did the Galaxy single last June and definitely wasn't the only one onboard.

Have fun and enjoy!

I have sailed on Celebrity five times now and don't recall too many single people. But that has never stopped me from cruising (I am single). A cruise is what you make of it. The assigned seating really helps and they try to pair up singles. You'll have a great time.

As for Crystal- I read that and laughed. Crystal is WAAAYYY more expensive than Celebrity. It would still be cheaper on Celebrity to travel solo.

I am not sure the difference in cost is that much for a solo cruiser. I did a quick comparison of a 7-day Caribbean cruise on Celebrity in January 2008 and the cost (with a 200% supplement) was $1,400 for the lowest cost inside cabin and $4,400 for the highest priced balcony cabin listed (but they did not list all the choices so there may have been more higher-priced balcony cabins). For a 7-day Crystal Caribbean cruise (with a 25% and 35% single supplement, respectively) in December 2007 the costs were about $2,060 and $5,415, respectively. Admittedly, the Crystal is more expensive, but one can get a lower-priced balcony on Crystal for about $4,300, which is less than the Celebrity balcony cabin. So it actually may be an option if one plans to get a balcony and is open to getting a lower-grade cabin. I suspect the Mediterrean cruises are probably not as close in price (I did not check). Whether it is worth it or not I cannot say since I haven't sailed on either line yet.

I am not sure the difference in cost is that much for a solo cruiser. I did a quick comparison of a 7-day Caribbean cruise on Celebrity in January 2008 and the cost (with a 200% supplement) was $1,400 for the lowest cost inside cabin and $4,400 for the highest priced balcony cabin listed (but they did not list all the choices so there may have been more higher-priced balcony cabins). For a 7-day Crystal Caribbean cruise (with a 25% and 35% single supplement, respectively) in December 2007 the costs were about $2,060 and $5,415, respectively. Admittedly, the Crystal is more expensive, but one can get a lower-priced balcony on Crystal for about $4,300, which is less than the Celebrity balcony cabin. So it actually may be an option if one plans to get a balcony and is open to getting a lower-grade cabin. I suspect the Mediterrean cruises are probably not as close in price (I did not check). Whether it is worth it or not I cannot say since I haven't sailed on either line yet.

Hi, I have never sailed Crystal and I don't even look at balconies

(except on the rare occasion when they popped up on a Happy Hour.)

I see your price comparisons....I go inside 99% of the time.

I know pricing and what folks pay is not part of this original post, suffice to say, I will stick with Celebrity....solos, couples, etc...I

always have a wonderful time:D

I've sailed solo on 18 of my 29 cruises, and will do so again on the Mercury at the end of this month. Cruise lines on which I have sailed solo were Holland-America, Norwegian Cruise, Princess, Celebrity & Carnival. As a solo cruiser, I do whatever I want whenever I want to do so. Like "caviargal," I am content with a book and a nice place for a drink. Cruises are what you make of them, no matter if there are five or 200 other singles on the ship. Requesting large tables is a great way to meet people (not necessarily singles) and perhaps make lifelong friends.

Donald.

I have sailed with Celebrity solo 6 times since Oct. 06, and actually enjoy it more. If I have a good book, a deck chair, and the occasional martini, I am happy.:D

I am a quiet person, not very outgoing, but on each cruise I have met couples who decided to hang out with me. It's actually easier to meet people than when traveling with others.

Another thing about Celebrity, I feel when the wait and cabin staff know you are alone, they tend to take such good care of you.

Give solo cruising a chance. If it's not for you, you at least will have had a nice cruise with a friendly crew and will have seen new places.

I have travelled solo on Celebrity RCI and Cunard. Yes I have to pay the single supplement but I know this and have resolved to accept it.

I have the benefit of being able to do what I like when I like and this is very liberating.

I did a T/A on Millennium this past March solo and I am setting sail on the QM2 BTB 12-24 July and once more solo. Got a really good deal which even when doubled up was a fair price for 12 nights.

I also travel sometimes with a friend and will do again on Century in the Med 22nd Oct this year but we each have our own room and this means yes we do have the supplement but we each have our own space and privacy.

Sue

I totally agree with cruiseacecat. My first solo cruise was on on Constellation at New Year this year and I am hooked. The staff really make you feel welcome and I made some great friends at Dinner. Next month I go on Constellation again, to the Baltic, and I can't wait. Celbrity do arrange meetings onboard for singles, however I didn't feel the need to attend. We may pay more,being on our own, however the luxury of a double cabin to oneself is priceless!!! Go for it, Celebrity is great. :)

We have an interesting brochure from Tauk travel which offers several cruises among their itins... & on some there is special for the singles..sounded like a fair deal & the ships they offer run from traditional to the unique You may want to check it out & oreder the current brochure..

I've travelled solo with Celebrity a number of times. Once in a while they throw us a bone or the rates are so low (such as Summit 3/29/08 transatlantic) the single rate is very reasonable. Once aboard I have never had trouble meeting people and I didn't feel uncomfortable at all. There are a lot of social events aboard so I would have to say that at least the staff make the ships single-friendly.

thepumpkin,

I am considering a Mediterranean cruise late in the season on Century.I am in my 40s and single so am wondering if anyone has experienced a Celebrity european cruise as a solo traveller or can comment on the likelihood of singles in their 30s and 40s on Celebrity....a 10 day cruise. There is a 7 day RCCL cruise I can take but the itinerary on Galaxy is better and I gather Celebrity is a superior experience.I would appreciate any advice.

Would you would rather meet a few other singles whose tastes and personal styles are reasonably compatible with your own or meet dozens of singles with whom I have little in common?

If Celebrity is a good match for your personal style and your tastes, your chances of finding other singles who will share your interests, tastes, and style will be much better on Celebrity. Yes, there may be a lot more singles on other lines, but they probably will not be as compatible.

Norm.

Archived