Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Thanks for all the nice respones about the article. We love it too! She did a great job! I sent it down to CCI like DKD said and maybe they will put it in their newsletter. I hope it brings some awareness about how a real service dog behaves.

Fairbourne, Wex could use a girlfriend. He could use another dog period. We have alot of trouble exercising him. We have a new dog park here in town. It has "pea stone" and Wex hates it. We have gone a few times and he does nothing. Once there was a dog he knew and he ran around for a while, but the other times nothing. There was all kinds of dogs running around yesterday and he wanted nothing to do with them. He was more interested in the people and scrunging some pats from them. One guy had cookies in his pocket and he hung around with him :( It still amazes me how much these labs are motivated by food.

Can't get to sleep.....my dental surgery is keeping me up. I'll try some Advil and see if it will help. Brenda's snoring on the couch beside me. Such a sweetie. She moved close to me to keep me company and then went right to sleep.

The dentist said the stitches would dissolve but they're annoyingly dangling from my gum.

Thank goodness for HBO, I'm watching Jurassic Park, that'll take my mind off my mouth! :eek:

Awwwww sorry you're hurting. :( But I love Jurassic Park :D I have to say I think Jaws is my favorite movie, I have seen that more times than anything else. Of course it was filmed here and now 30years later we have Great Whites here. One guy actually got bit last summer. Luckily we don't go to the beach.

Where is Horty during all this? Sleeping on your bed?

Next week it will be in the single digits. I'm sure Beth will be seeing well below that!!

Edited by rangeley

Thanks for all the nice respones about the article. We love it too! She did a great job! I sent it down to CCI like DKD said and maybe they will put it in their newsletter. I hope it brings some awareness about how a real service dog behaves.

Fairbourne, Wex could use a girlfriend. He could use another dog period. We have alot of trouble exercising him. We have a new dog park here in town. It has "pea stone" and Wex hates it. We have gone a few times and he does nothing. Once there was a dog he knew and he ran around for a while, but the other times nothing. There was all kinds of dogs running around yesterday and he wanted nothing to do with them. He was more interested in the people and scrunging some pats from them. One guy had cookies in his pocket and he hung around with him :( It still amazes me how much these labs are motivated by food.

Wex sounds just exactly like our boy dog - any food to be found and he'll find it! He doesn't care too much for excercise either and hangs around while the girl dog runs around like mad, especially if she's got a ball to chase!

Walking dustbins, these labs - just been told by the DH that they are they quickest machine in nature for turning food into "what comes out the other end!" :eek:

Is anybody up? Come on over and play tridominoes with me....we can make it an all night party! I'll provide the refreshments!

Roz - sorry you're sore - I know about those stitches, it feels like you've got a bunch of bungee ropes in there, it really does! They're just so annoying! Glad Brenda is keeping you cosy. :D

We're all having a lazy Sunday - been snowing, but it's pretty looking out as long as you're inside and warm in front of the fire! The dogs are snoring blissfully on their sofa but soon they will have their lovely warm padded coats on and they're going out - they love the snow, that's about the only time the boy dog gets running around!

Trudy's daughter will have some great weather to start off her cruise this weekend.

Yes, I watched her sail away, from afar. This morning, they had more of a close up of the area. :(

Hope you feel better soon, Roz.

Happy Sunday everyone-----its time to get my feather paintings framed. That is my job, for today. Made a big Breakfast to hold me till late afternoon.

Just show Brenny a tennis ball, throw it and she's 2 years old again. Show Horty a tennis ball, throw it and he'll go for it and then start sniffing everything in sight where it landed. He's so funny.

I'm so afraid to take Horty to the dog park. He'll take off and God knows when he'll return. He still into the "keep away" thing and I don't trust him! We're very strongly working on this!

Awwwww sorry you're hurting. :( But I love Jurassic Park :D I have to say I think Jaws is my favorite movie, I have seen that more times than anything else. Of course it was filmed here and now 30years later we have Great Whites here. One guy actually got bit last summer. Luckily we don't go to the beach.

Where is Horty during all this? Sleeping on your bed?

Next week it will be in the single digits. I'm sure Beth will be seeing well below that!!

I love all things Steven Spielberg.....Horty is asleep in the bedroom. He comes out and checks me, leans his body into me, lowering his head for a snuggle and the goes back to the bedroom. If he hears the paper rattle on the rice cakes he's in the kitchen in a flash!

We're having some real summer weather here now.....I'm expecting an earthquake any day! I swear it's the weather's drastic changes that bring them on! :eek:

My mouth is healing - Oh, why can't I have those "chicklet" teeth like the gal next door? :(

Wex sounds just exactly like our boy dog - any food to be found and he'll find it! He doesn't care too much for excercise either and hangs around while the girl dog runs around like mad, especially if she's got a ball to chase!

Walking dustbins, these labs - just been told by the DH that they are they quickest machine in nature for turning food into "what comes out the other end!" :eek:

Yep! They're like vacumm's when it's eating time. CCI wants me to drop Horty's food from 4 cups a day to 3 cups a day so he can lose 10 pounds. Everytime he looks at me when he's finished eating, with those big brown eyes, I feel so badly for him. CCI likes their dogs thin!!!!!

Considering Horty would rather sleep than move I make him do laps around the garage every time he has to go potty at work.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Roz - sorry you're sore - I know about those stitches, it feels like you've got a bunch of bungee ropes in there, it really does! They're just so annoying! Glad Brenda is keeping you cosy. :D

We're all having a lazy Sunday - been snowing, but it's pretty looking out as long as you're inside and warm in front of the fire! The dogs are snoring blissfully on their sofa but soon they will have their lovely warm padded coats on and they're going out - they love the snow, that's about the only time the boy dog gets running around!

That's exactly what the stitches feel like......so annoying!!!!

We had our fireplace roaring last week and now our air conitioning is running! And soon they say we're in for some rain storms.....I can't say I'm bored with out weather anymore! We're certainly getting a variety now! ;)

Our dogs are so funny, each one has such a distinct personality. I adore them so!!!!!

Trudy's daughter will have some great weather to start off her cruise this weekend.

Yes, I watched her sail away, from afar. This morning, they had more of a close up of the area. :(

Hope you feel better soon, Roz.

Happy Sunday everyone-----its time to get my feather paintings framed. That is my job, for today. Made a big Breakfast to hold me till late afternoon.

Thanks Trudy. I'm just glad I've got dental insurance! Not that it covers everything, that's what credit cards are for! :o

You all probably know this but...

A local TV station here (KCal 9) just showed a story on CCI and how some dogs are going to be in the inaugural parade tomorrow! How cool is that! :D

If the inaugural parade were in L.A. I'd be there with both my CCI Grads. What a great honor and a wonderful opportunity to show off our Service Dogs to the world!

If the inaugural parade were in L.A. I'd be there with both my CCI Grads. What a great honor and a wonderful opportunity to show off our Service Dogs to the world!

There will be around 150 people and 50 CCI dogs marching today. Along with a CCI float. The parade kicks off around 2:30 EST.

CCI is in the 4th group. They think somewhere around 4:30 EST.

All the people will be wearing yellow coats and hats. The dogs will have either their blue "working" vests or their yellow "training" vests on. We were invited to go but the timing and weather didn't work for us. Their day is starting off about now at a park in VA.

There will be around 150 people and 50 CCI dogs marching today. Along with a CCI float. The parade kicks off around 2:30 EST.

All the people will be wearing yellow coats and hats. The dogs will have either their blue "working" vests or their yellow "training" vests on. We were invited to go but the timing and weather didn't work for us. Their day is starting off about now at a park in VA.

I have a lunch date so will miss the CCI group at 1:30pm PST. Hopefully someone will have it on the news later. :)

Guess you had to be special to get invited to march in the parade :(

I don't know how and why people were picked. I know Danielle went down with your friends and mine. That's who asked us if we wanted to go. So I guess it was more word of mouth than anything else. I all started with the VA chapter.

Cindy, there were absolutely NO Black Labs in the parade. They were all Yellow or Golden Retrievers.

It was quite a "yellow" display. I was very proud and probably woke up our neighborhood with my yelling......"look it's CCI in the parade!"

It showed here, in L.A., at 3:00 pm. I was so proud.....it just went by way too fast!

I don't know how and why people were picked. I know Danielle went down with your friends and mine. That's who asked us if we wanted to go. So I guess it was more word of mouth than anything else. I all started with the VA chapter.

I'm so proud. If you hear of a way to get a copy of it will you let us know.