Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I just returned from a cruise on the Holland America Zuiderdam.

POTTY AREA:

When we told it would be sod and when we arrived they told us where the potty box was placed. We went there and there was no sod, just gravel. The next day we had our CC meet and Greet and some of the staff came. I told them and they informed us it wasn't available when we left, but assured us it would be there in aruba. IT NEVER ARRIVED.

I would never ALLOW my dog to go in the box provided .. pics attached. It was gross! Quinn is peepad trained because we live in a condo on the 10th floor and I can't always take him out. Thank goodness this worked with not one mistake!

As for the rest ...

PROCESS: just provided paperwork and told the truth and we were given permission. Never once had a problem with the staff even on embarkation.

LEAVING QUINN IN CABIN: Quinn is only a year old and still training. We tipped the cabin stewart upon arrival, explained not to enter cabin if the do not disturb was on and when he saw us in corridor and asked, we told him Quinn was sleeping, he smiled and went about his business: ) Even though Quinn went everywhere on the ship with us, including dinner, he brought him back to cabin during the show and once when we went ashore. We brought his collapsable crate and it worked great!

I could not have done this without him and was so pleased with the whole thing!

Hi Irishgirl, welcome! We always had sod on HAL and what they provided you with wasn't adequate for the smallest of dogs.

I don't know what Quinn does for you but how can he work for you if you're leaving him in the cabin? Maybe I mis-understood.

We are considering bringing my husband's (he is quadriplegic) service dog on a Western Caribbean cruise (RCL Freedom 07-July-13, 7 nights) and I heard that you have to get a Dept of Agriculture permit to bring the dog on this trip. Is this true? And if so, how do you go about doing this?

Hi, Welcome! The following is what you will need and your Vet should be able to give it to you.

• US Dept of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service - US Interstate and International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals form.

Your Vet will have this form and will fill it out and sign it. Your Vet can also find out for you just what the various islands may require. The cruiseline or your Travel Agent should be able to help you with what you will need. Call the Special Needs Dept. they will help you with what is needed.

RCL - Special Needs - 800-722-5472 Ext: 34492 - Call them one week before you cruise to remind them to set-up your dogs box. I like the box near my cabin and I use a stairwell for it. I like a 4x4 box filled with mulch. I like the bag of mulch to be near the box so that I can re-fill it when I want and I need a trash recepticle to put the potty bags in.

I make 3 copies of the Vets forms, a copy of his chip information, his city license, his training Org. info., and IAADP info.

I hand a copy to the registration folks, have one for the purser's desk and keep the originals to show when we're off the ship and want to re-board.

I'm always ready to show Immigration or any island officer in case they have a question about my dog while I'm walking around in port.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Irishgirl Welcome! First I'd like to say we have been on many HAL cruises and most we have not had a problem. I saw the picture and that gravel is ridicilous. They had sawdust once which was horrible but we always get sod.

Secondly I don't know how you even got your dog on the cruise, from what I understand a dog in training is NOT allowed on a cruise ship. If someone here knows differently please correct me. And on HAL they are NOT allowed to be left in the cabin alone at any time.

What does Quinn do for you? He is very cute!! Hope you had a great time anyway.

Cindy

You're right. Dogs in Training do not have public access just like Therapy Dogs do not have public access. Sometimes a group of folks will bring a group of pups onboard for training purposes or for special shows but it's very unusual and is done with special persmission.

We've all seen a "pup-in-training" at the market, that's under special circumstances and permission.

Leaving a dog alone in a cabin......Not a good idea ever!!!!!

If the dog is on the cruise ship it's because it's needed by it's human partner......to separate the dog from the human makes no sense.

Where is Roz? She hasn't been around. Hope she is ok.

I've been so busy with my wonderful friends and family. Everyone's left our house and I'm back to work. It was craziness for a while, absolute craziness! I felt like we were running a dormetory with people eating, sleeping and my poor shower and bathroom......don't ask!

And, the dogs, poor Brenda lost her couch to company and Horton didn't know who's shoes to steal first.....it was so funny to watch him try to pick who's Uggs he was going to swipe first......watching the people going ballistic with their expensive shoes being tossed around like Horton's personal rag dolls was hysterical to me but not so funny to them!!!!! I had shoes on top of counters where shoes should NEVER be, just to keep them from my big, bad, boy!

I found the same pet info too. I am just wondering if it would applicable to guide dog. If anyone here taken a guide dog to Bermuda, please share your experience. Thanks.

I don't think you ever mentioned leaving your dog alone in the cabin......If I spoke out of turn please forgive me. It just makes me nuts when people do this, especially if it's a Working Dog! Please forgive me!

I've been so busy with my wonderful friends and family. Everyone's left our house and I'm back to work. It was craziness for a while, absolute craziness! I felt like we were running a dormetory with people eating, sleeping and my poor shower and bathroom......don't ask!

And, the dogs, poor Brenda lost her couch to company and Horton didn't know who's shoes to steal first.....it was so funny to watch him try to pick who's Uggs he was going to swipe first......watching the people going ballistic with their expensive shoes being tossed around like Horton's personal rag dolls was hysterical to me but not so funny to them!!!!! I had shoes on top of counters where shoes should NEVER be, just to keep them from my big, bad, boy!

Roz!!!! You're back! :D We didn't know you were having company. Sounds like a fun time...not. Wow Horty is a trouble maker huh? He sounds like fun.

I have hear it is cold there. You went from 90 to 50 brrrrr. It's 16 out right now. :D Nice for sleeping. ;)

I contacted Bermuda goverment and they sent me an application for Dog and Cat Import Permit. The application appears to be somewhat complicated and looks like they don't accept the 3-year rabbie shot either.

Be careful on this one......some Vets will NOT give a one year vaccine [over vaccinating can be dangerous!] I accompany a letter from my Vet that he refuses to vaccinate more than is necessary and that it's been proven to be life threatening to some dogs!

Also, look out for the Immigration officers who will board the ship and insist that you give them cash. I flat out refuse to give them any money. I tell them that I am not carrying any cash. Interesting how once they learned that I didn't have any cash, they simply walked away and everything was okay.

Make sure that your dogs health is good, he's behaving well, his/her immunizations are current and you remain calm but insistent that everything is in order and you'd like to disembark with the other passengers.

I contacted Bermuda goverment and they sent me an application for Dog and Cat Import Permit. The application appears to be somewhat complicated and looks like they don't accept the 3-year rabbie shot either.

We have found this problem all over the islands. They all want the one year rabies shot. We have discussed this many times with our vet and she has told us the one year shot is the same as the 3 year. I have read on the internet that it's bad to get it every year and then others say its fine. When I had my pet dog a few years back, I would never make it before the shot was up and would end up getting the shot every year. She lived til 12 1/2 and was always healthy. It just depends who you talk to. We did give our dog the shot a few times and now we are at the point that we are not going to do any unnecessary tests done just to get off the ship. It would probably be a different story if it was somewhere that we would be for a few days. But we would NEVER pay.

I actually read an article that some states require a rabies every year.

Edited by rangeley

I actually read an article that some states require a rabies every year.

they want a yearly shot here in Florida.

miss spelling on the first message

My Vet said it's one or the other. Once a dog has been vaccinated with a 3 year vaccine it's unecessary to re-vaccinate again for another 3 years. And, by "vaccinate" he means the Rabies Vaccine. He said the majority of dogs will not get a reaction to another vaccine within a year but there are cases of dogs becoming ill. If your dog has a known sensitivity to the vaccine......Wait the normal 3 years and have him write a note stating that to re-vaccinate too early would cause harm to your dog.

Some of the other vaccines are actually not required and can be dangerous to a senior dog [after the age of 10.] Most dogs build-up immunities to distemper/parvo and at age 10 really don't need it.

In order to travel internationally your dog MUST be vaccinated against rabies.

The one- and three-year rabies shots are generally the same "stuff". The first rabies shot an animal gets should be certified for one year, but after that, three-year vaccines can be used. In fact the subsequent shots can confer immunity for seven years or even longer, depending on the individual animal.

But, since rabies is zoonotic and 100% fatal unless you are an insanely lucky teenager from Wisconsin whose awesome doctors saved her after the bat bite she and her parents failed to report until she had clinical signs of rabies...the city, county, and state governments get involved. That's why some places require a shot every year and others use the three-year requirement...everyone wants to make their own rules! Eventually maybe regulation will catch up to science and the three-year requirement will go to five or seven years or longer, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

If your animal has had a vaccination reaction before, you might be able to get your vet to certify that s/he should not be vaccinated again, so long as blood samples show an adequate rabies titer. Not all local governments will accept that, and I'm not sure how cruise lines feel about that, and of course other countries will have their own laws...I'm only conversant with U.S. law.

Edited by BeagleOne

We've decided to leave my husband's service dog at home. He primarily does things like open doors anyway, which he wouldn't do on the cruise. We'll miss him, but he'll have a good time at "doggy day care" with our other dog while we're gone! :)

I know that you and your family will help your husband while your all together so he won't have to be concerned with the doors, etc., that his dog helps him with and the dog will love "doggie-daycare!"

Since 2002 [when I graduated from CCI with a Service Dog], I have NEVER traveled, worked or cruised without either Brenda or Horton. My life has been enriched and the meaning, love and devotion that has been shown to me by my dogs has brought me great joy and happiness. Whatever difficulty, extra work or stress that I've experienced while traveling with my dog is absolutely NOTHING compared to the freedom and fulfillment they've brought to my life.

I wish you a wonderful and funfilled cruise. Maybe one day you'll get to cruise WITH your Service Dog!

We've decided to leave my husband's service dog at home. He primarily does things like open doors anyway, which he wouldn't do on the cruise. We'll miss him, but he'll have a good time at "doggy day care" with our other dog while we're gone! :)

Sorry to hear. But maybe someday you will decide to take the dog. Our dog just loves it! But it is tough sometimes if you want to get off the ship in certain places. We were lucky on our last cruise and had some nice people to watch him. Hopefully we will find someone nice on our next cruise.

Speaking of our next cruise, we have already decided on one but waiting for the price to come down alittle before we book. We have been so bummed out that we are not cruising now. The pre xmas cruise was nice but prefer to go after the holidays. Next year it will be in February right before school vacation. When we return, John will have the week off. He likes to extend his vacation. :eek: Bad boy!!

Mornin' all:

Cindy: The life before this one (education field and having Trav in school) was wonderful. Didn't have to plan around school and the prices were, what 1/2 what they are to cruise during spring break or summer. We love to cruise in the fall. October thru December. Years ago we went during Thanksgiving. It was before they started pricing it as a Holiday cruise. It was great. Light passenger volumn. We had a really good time. Now, I guess others have discovered it and they are charging the Holiday prices. I keep dreaming of another cruise. It seems life just keep getting in the way. It has been 6 years! Goodness the time flies.

Everyone have a great week. I am back on stand-by, my long term sub job ended. It was a vacant position that they filled. So waiting for the next one.

Speaking of our next cruise, we have already decided on one but waiting for the price to come down alittle before we book. We have been so bummed out that we are not cruising now. The pre xmas cruise was nice but prefer to go after the holidays. Next year it will be in February right before school vacation. When we return, John will have the week off. He likes to extend his vacation. :eek: Bad boy!!

What cruise are you looking at? I will help you keep an eye out. :D

Mornin' all:

Cindy: The life before this one (education field and having Trav in school) was wonderful. Didn't have to plan around school and the prices were, what 1/2 what they are to cruise during spring break or summer. We love to cruise in the fall. October thru December. Years ago we went during Thanksgiving. It was before they started pricing it as a Holiday cruise. It was great. Light passenger volumn. We had a really good time. Now, I guess others have discovered it and they are charging the Holiday prices. I keep dreaming of another cruise. It seems life just keep getting in the way. It has been 6 years! Goodness the time flies.

Everyone have a great week. I am back on stand-by, my long term sub job ended. It was a vacant position that they filled. So waiting for the next one.

We cruised during school break once and hated it! Don't get me wrong, I love kids but I want to relax and not have screaming kids on my vacation. They always let John take the time off so we can pick our date. I hope you will get to cruise soon.

Cindy

March 30th and/or September 29th.......