Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Well, this is just awful!

The owner of a service dog was beaten up on a cruise.

Look at this thread on the Royal Caribbean board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755500

Some low-lifes just don't deserve to be alive!

There is a federal law that protects a Service Dog. And, if one is found guilty of harming one the fine is $10,000 [i'm not sure what the jail time is.]

I'm quite sure there is much more to the whole story. We live in very troubling times and I wouldn't trust anyone, not any more!

I would protect my Service Dog with my life. He means the world to me.....he's part of my family in every sense of the word.

I'm a woman but wouldn't hesitate to defend myself and my dog anywhere [including a cruise ship!]

Horton's off to the groomers tomorrow. CCI wants his nails very, very short. And, I'm too chicken to do them. They don't want them to be long enough to hear them click on the floor. And, we've been brushing his teeth twice a week. The trainer saw some tartar on his back teeth. I've had wonderful luck with the ear stuff that I've been using on him, which was recommended by a lovely family I met onboard my last cruise.

I'm busy getting ready for out-of-town relatives. Got to spruce-up the house.....it's so hard to do with a retired husband who loves to do cooking experiments. Some nights I get home and swear he's thrown the wildest parties [just on my stove!]

Who's cruising next? Is it me in March?

If any of you have been on the Star Princess I'd like to hear about her. I have a feeling she's a lot like the Golden. I'll drop by the Princess boards to get some insights.

Stay well everyone!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Well, this is just awful!

The owner of a service dog was beaten up on a cruise.

Look at this thread on the Royal Caribbean board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755500

Some low-lifes just don't deserve to be alive!

I've been following this thread and it finally made the news (somewhat): http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36452590&postcount=105

I hope the victim is OK (and his dog Freedom) and the assailant gets punished somehow!

I've been following this thread and it finally made the news (somewhat): http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36452590&postcount=105

I hope the victim is OK (and his dog Freedom) and the assailant gets punished somehow!

Marcia, I can't imagine what one has to do to provoke someone to attack them onboard a cruise. It seems in today's society, apparantly not much.

The details are far too sketchy to try and make sense out of it.

My first concern is the dog. Sounds like the dog is fine, with no attempt to injury him.

I'd be curious to hear more.

Roz: I agree. Much more than is being told. I am still wondering why the attack and then why there was no one else around. Even the person behind the pizza counter. I can understand that security cannot be every where, but seems strange that no one else was available to help. Even if it meant calling, screaming or getting others attention. It also sounds like the human was the victim, not the dog. People are so strange now a days. Don't know what to think of it. I do know from first hand experience, just because someone is not right, doesn't mean that they will get help, when they need it. When we got Trav, he had some very serious, self injurious issues and I could not get help, because I did not have his mothers permission. My stance was, help me find her and we can get her permission. You all know what that response was. No, you find her. Anyway, my boy has come leaps and bounds and is a healthy, normal little boy, that I thank the stars for. However, as we see our world deteriate, I know it all can't be helped. So, enough of my profound philisophy, that I can't spell, but you guys get the drift...........Good night my friends.

Roz: I agree. Much more than is being told. I am still wondering why the attack and then why there was no one else around. Even the person behind the pizza counter. I can understand that security cannot be every where, but seems strange that no one else was available to help. Even if it meant calling, screaming or getting others attention. It also sounds like the human was the victim, not the dog. People are so strange now a days. Don't know what to think of it. I do know from first hand experience, just because someone is not right, doesn't mean that they will get help, when they need it. When we got Trav, he had some very serious, self injurious issues and I could not get help, because I did not have his mothers permission. My stance was, help me find her and we can get her permission. You all know what that response was. No, you find her. Anyway, my boy has come leaps and bounds and is a healthy, normal little boy, that I thank the stars for. However, as we see our world deteriate, I know it all can't be helped. So, enough of my profound philisophy, that I can't spell, but you guys get the drift...........Good night my friends.

I totally get your drift! Always have! Love you for it! ;)

The story of the guy who was attacked came to my attention, so of course I had to come see what you gals were saying about it. So sad that somebody would do that! I'm glad the cruiseline kicked the attacker (and only the attacker) off the ship!!

Roz, get a nail grinder to grind down Horton's nails. This will get them shorter and smoother than clipping and you won't need to worry about cutting the quick and all. Also, brushing a dog's teeth twice a week is not enough; they need to be brushed every day. A good brand of toothpaste is Virbac's C.E.T. toothpaste because it has enzymes in it. My service dog loves the malt flavor and enjoys getting her teeth done because of it! Their long-handled brush is great to use, too. Since he already has stuff on his teeth, he may need a professional teeth cleaning by his vet or a veterinary dentist under anesthesia - you want to be sure to prevent periodontal disease because it causes irreversible damage that can lead to tooth loss. Some dogs are more prone to tartar and such than others, so you might have to do more for his teeth than you ever did for Brenda's.

I won't be back on here for a bit since I'll be on a trip for a few weeks and then who knows what, so I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year celebration and start of (can you believe it?!) 2013!! I'm hoping this coming year is better than this past one, as it has not been too good, especially health-wise for me. I'm just starting a new med and it seems to be promising (might be starting to help a symptom and no side-effects so far), so hopefully this helps! Especially since my neuro said this was the last med he feels is worth trying ... guess I'd need a new neuro if this doesn't work!

Stay safe!

I won't be back on here for a bit since I'll be on a trip for a few weeks and then who knows what, so I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year celebration and start of (can you believe it?!) 2013!! I'm hoping this coming year is better than this past one, as it has not been too good, especially health-wise for me. I'm just starting a new med and it seems to be promising (might be starting to help a symptom and no side-effects so far), so hopefully this helps! Especially since my neuro said this was the last med he feels is worth trying ... guess I'd need a new neuro if this doesn't work!

Stay safe!

Bon Voyage, and I hope you have a Happy (& healthy) New Year!

Thanks, Quam, safe travels and a healthier 2013!

Jezzy Lou had a spa appointment today. Didn't really want to get her cut, but her hair is so fine and matts up over night. Her skin is sensitive so it irritates her. She has her t-shirts and does not stay outside, only goes potty and back in, so she will be fine. Got her "claws" (they are not nails!) trimmed, so that was a relief. She is developing into such a good girl. A lot less issues with her. I couldn't love her more! I know you all know how that feels. :D

The story of the guy who was attacked came to my attention, so of course I had to come see what you gals were saying about it. So sad that somebody would do that! I'm glad the cruiseline kicked the attacker (and only the attacker) off the ship!!

Roz, get a nail grinder to grind down Horton's nails. This will get them shorter and smoother than clipping and you won't need to worry about cutting the quick and all. Also, brushing a dog's teeth twice a week is not enough; they need to be brushed every day. A good brand of toothpaste is Virbac's C.E.T. toothpaste because it has enzymes in it. My service dog loves the malt flavor and enjoys getting her teeth done because of it! Their long-handled brush is great to use, too. Since he already has stuff on his teeth, he may need a professional teeth cleaning by his vet or a veterinary dentist under anesthesia - you want to be sure to prevent periodontal disease because it causes irreversible damage that can lead to tooth loss. Some dogs are more prone to tartar and such than others, so you might have to do more for his teeth than you ever did for Brenda's.

Stay safe!

I'm glad the guy was thrown off the ship too! I hope it was a real hassle for him to get himself home!

I use the Virbac toothpaste because of the enzymes, [i have the chicken and beef flavor], Horton likes them both. The Vet gave me a nice long brush. When CCI's Vet found the tartar she scaled his teeth and used a liquid and a cloth to polish them. I think you're right about Horton being more susceptible to tartar and although the Vet said that twice should be good, I may have to do more. She also said to scrub really well and that his gums look really good inspite of the tartar.

I've been taking Horton to the groomer to have his nails "drummeled" twice a week. It might be easier for me to do them myself.......I'm going to look into purchasing one and teaching myself to do them.

Boy, there's no getting lazy with this dog. He's really keeping me on my toes!!!

I hope your health issues get resolved and that 2013 is a better year for you.

Thanks, Quam, safe travels and a healthier 2013!

Jezzy Lou had a spa appointment today. Didn't really want to get her cut, but her hair is so fine and matts up over night. Her skin is sensitive so it irritates her. She has her t-shirts and does not stay outside, only goes potty and back in, so she will be fine. Got her "claws" (they are not nails!) trimmed, so that was a relief. She is developing into such a good girl. A lot less issues with her. I couldn't love her more! I know you all know how that feels. :D

Awww! I'm so glad Jezzy Lou is outgrowing her "cranky" stuff! It was all that good loving that did it!

The story of the guy who was attacked came I won't be back on here for a bit since I'll be on a trip for a few weeks and then who knows what, so I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year celebration and start of (can you believe it?!) 2013!! I'm hoping this coming year is better than this past one, as it has not been too good, especially health-wise for me. I'm just starting a new med and it seems to be promising (might be starting to help a symptom and no side-effects so far), so hopefully this helps! Especially since my neuro said this was the last med he feels is worth trying ... guess I'd need a new neuro if this doesn't work!

Stay safe!

Safe travels and a Very Happy and Healthy New Year.

Hi to everyone else and a Happy and Healthy New Year to you also. Hugs and cookies for the doggies. :D

Hugs and cookies for the doggies. :D

Trudy: If I go out back to take the trash out and Jezzy goes with me and it's dark outside (that happens around 5:30 pm, now) when we go back inside she stands by the cookie bin waiting for a cookie. She only gets one and that's before bedtime, but I guess she thinks, it's dark outside, I went potty, so I should get a cookie! :D If she got one everytime I went out back and came in, she would be more of a sausage than she is! She is a sturdy, little one! But she sures knows where those cookies are kept.

trudy: If i go out back to take the trash out and jezzy goes with me and it's dark outside (that happens around 5:30 pm, now) when we go back inside she stands by the cookie bin waiting for a cookie. She only gets one and that's before bedtime, but i guess she thinks, it's dark outside, i went potty, so i should get a cookie! :d if she got one everytime i went out back and came in, she would be more of a sausage than she is! She is a sturdy, little one! But she sures knows where those cookies are kept.

;) :)

Trudy: If I go out back to take the trash out and Jezzy goes with me and it's dark outside (that happens around 5:30 pm, now) when we go back inside she stands by the cookie bin waiting for a cookie. She only gets one and that's before bedtime, but I guess she thinks, it's dark outside, I went potty, so I should get a cookie! :D If she got one everytime I went out back and came in, she would be more of a sausage than she is! She is a sturdy, little one! But she sures knows where those cookies are kept.

LOL!! Don't they all know where that cookie jar is!!! My two can hear their "dentastix" box opening a mile away - no matter how quietly I try and open it!! Ears on elastic - well, a bit like the DH really, can be selective at times!!!LOL!;)

I would like to thank all of you for the great education regarding service dogs that I've received as a result of this thread. All the info you've posted about SD laws really came in handy when I took a call from a scammer inquiring about an apartment over the weekend.

I was very careful to only ask what her "service dog" did for her to assist her in her daily life. I also asked about what training the dog had received. The poor dear was not prepared to answer either question. Of course, that was before she dropped the HUD bomb regarding rent (I'm sorry, we are priced just above what HUD pays) and the no job bomb. Apparently she and her boyfriend are both trying to get disability and can't work.

For training, "well I don't know, she just does it. She did it for another lady and we bought her from my friend after the old lady passed away." I thought of Roz and how she was practicing escalators a couple of weeks back. Really, a dog that just does "it"? Right.

I would have ruled them out once I heard about the no job part, but I appreciate knowing a little bit about what to ask missy about her "service dog" that she decided she needed.

Hi All, I have been having a hard time getting in here. Then when I try to log in my name won't show up. Finally today I just hit the new thread and the box came up and all of a sudden my name was there and said I was logged in. :confused: Very strange!! I guess all this time I have been trying to get in, I was.

We have been a bunch of bums for a week. It's 10am and John is still sleeping. Only one more day to sleep late then it's back to 6am for us. Wex actually let me sleep til 9am today without pestering me to death. He's a good boy :D

We got like 6 inches of snow. Not fun! :mad: And this week it's going to be down in the single digits at night. Brrrrrrrrr

Yesterday I put Wexlers advantix on and later that day I found a tick on him!!!!! :mad: This is the first tick I have seen on him since we have had him. I had just taken him out a few minutes before and it had just bit him. Luckily hes a freak for belly rubs and it was in his armpit. It hadn't blown up yet so I know he had just gotten it. I always thought it was crazy to put tick stuff on in the winter but I guess it's not. I have never seen a tick in the winter before, especially since we just got 6 inches of snow. Very strange!!

I hope everyone has a Happy and Healthy New Year!!!! We hope to make it til midnight :eek:

Cindy

Edited by rangeley

I would like to thank all of you for the great education regarding service dogs that I've received as a result of this thread. All the info you've posted about SD laws really came in handy when I took a call from a scammer inquiring about an apartment over the weekend.

I was very careful to only ask what her "service dog" did for her to assist her in her daily life. I also asked about what training the dog had received. The poor dear was not prepared to answer either question. Of course, that was before she dropped the HUD bomb regarding rent (I'm sorry, we are priced just above what HUD pays) and the no job bomb. Apparently she and her boyfriend are both trying to get disability and can't work.

For training, "well I don't know, she just does it. She did it for another lady and we bought her from my friend after the old lady passed away." I thought of Roz and how she was practicing escalators a couple of weeks back. Really, a dog that just does "it"? Right.

I would have ruled them out once I heard about the no job part, but I appreciate knowing a little bit about what to ask missy about her "service dog" that she decided she needed.

Roz is our resident expert! We are lucky to have her. So many people are trying to pass of their dogs as service dog, it's sickening. My neighbor was just questioned the other day in a store and she lied to the woman and said her dog was a service dog. :mad: Glad this thread helped you out!

Cindy

Hi All, I have been having a hard time getting in here. Then when I try to log in my name won't show up. Finally today I just hit the new thread and the box came up and all of a sudden my name was there and said I was logged in. :confused: Very strange!! I guess all this time I have been trying to get in, I was.

Hi Cindy

I have had the same problem for a few days too, it kept telling me wrong password etc., and not logged in, but when I would hit the back button, I was! Think Santa's little helpers have been left behind and causing mischief! ;):D

I want to wish you all a very Happy New Year with warmest wishes to you and the doggies for 2013.

Or as they say here "Happy Hogmanay and Lang may yer lum reek!" LOL!!

Edited by fairbourne