Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I have been having log on issues, also. I thought it might be my computer, but am glad to find out it isn't! Not glad that we are having problems:D

Algebralovr: I swear people have way too much time on their hands to even think about passing a pet as a SD! Oh, that's right, they don't have jobs. Plenty of time to dream more ways to screw the people who do or have worked for a living! Yikes. Glad you caught them in their little deceit. Roz is a walking encylopedia when it comes to SD's. We love her.

H A P P Y N E W Y E A R ! ! !

Safe travels and partying! We will be staying home, protecting the viscous dog (Jezzy Lou) from loud noises that make her dive under the bed! Might make it to midnight? Never know!

Well, I went back and tried to edit the spaces between Happy New Year, which I thought I put in, in the first place, no go. Guess the computer wants it all run together. Anyways, you guys get the message!

Edited by S.S. Cruisers

So we went down to our local AAA office the other day to have them make our airline reservations for our upcoming cruise. We wanted them to make them because we figured they would have information on car services at both ends that were wheelchair accessible. Well first off, they wanted to charge us $30 each because we were only making airline reservations and not a whole vacation. Second she knew nothing about car services. So we went home and I called Air Canada. We got the flights we wanted with no trouble. I then mentioned my daughter in the wheelchair and the service dog. He gave us seat assignments but not the bulkhead seats. He said we had to talk to their medical dept. first. I called them and the woman asked how big the chair was and how much the dog weighed. She then asked what tasks the dog performed for my daughter. She them assigned us the bulkhead seats for both flights.

Thank you Air Canada!! I think I know of a car service by me that has vans with lifts. I wil call the hotel in Vancouver to see if they have any recomendations.

We plan to take a cruise to Bermuda on the new NCL's Breakaway. Could someone plase tell me what paper work is needed to bring a guide dog to Bermuda? Would I need a import permit from Bermuda government? Are the shopping area and transportation accessible to guide dog user?

Pets--If you want to take your pet with you to Bermuda, you'll need a special permit issued by the director of the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries, and Parks, P.O. Box HM 834, Hamilton HM CX, Bermuda (tel. 441/236-4201). The island has no quarantine facilities, so animals arriving without proper documents will be refused entry and will be returned to the point of origin. Some guesthouses and hotels allow you to bring in small animals, but others will not, so be sure to inquire in advance. Always check to see what the latest regulations are before attempting to bring a dog or other pet -- including Seeing Eye dogs -- to Bermuda.

This is what I found--MasterLee but I am sure someone that knows will help you.

I just returned from a cruise on the Holland America Zuiderdam.

POTTY AREA:

When we told it would be sod and when we arrived they told us where the potty box was placed. We went there and there was no sod, just gravel. The next day we had our CC meet and Greet and some of the staff came. I told them and they informed us it wasn't available when we left, but assured us it would be there in aruba. IT NEVER ARRIVED.

I would never ALLOW my dog to go in the box provided .. pics attached. It was gross! Quinn is peepad trained because we live in a condo on the 10th floor and I can't always take him out. Thank goodness this worked with not one mistake!

As for the rest ...

PROCESS: just provided paperwork and told the truth and we were given permission. Never once had a problem with the staff even on embarkation.

LEAVING QUINN IN CABIN: Quinn is only a year old and still training. We tipped the cabin stewart upon arrival, explained not to enter cabin if the do not disturb was on and when he saw us in corridor and asked, we told him Quinn was sleeping, he smiled and went about his business: ) Even though Quinn went everywhere on the ship with us, including dinner, he brought him back to cabin during the show and once when we went ashore. We brought his collapsable crate and it worked great!

I could not have done this without him and was so pleased with the whole thing!

I looked through your photos and I see you found that bizarre bench. I was on the Zuiderdam back in 2005 and my friends and I were all amazed by that bench (not in a good way) especially when combined with the carpet! :D

So we went down to our local AAA office the other day to have them make our airline reservations for our upcoming cruise. We wanted them to make them because we figured they would have information on car services at both ends that were wheelchair accessible. Well first off, they wanted to charge us $30 each because we were only making airline reservations and not a whole vacation. Second she knew nothing about car services. So we went home and I called Air Canada. We got the flights we wanted with no trouble. I then mentioned my daughter in the wheelchair and the service dog. He gave us seat assignments but not the bulkhead seats. He said we had to talk to their medical dept. first. I called them and the woman asked how big the chair was and how much the dog weighed. She then asked what tasks the dog performed for my daughter. She them assigned us the bulkhead seats for both flights.

Thank you Air Canada!! I think I know of a car service by me that has vans with lifts. I wil call the hotel in Vancouver to see if they have any recomendations.

I always do everything myself. It saves time and it gets done right.

Pets--If you want to take your pet with you to Bermuda, you'll need a special permit issued by the director of the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries, and Parks, P.O. Box HM 834, Hamilton HM CX, Bermuda (tel. 441/236-4201). The island has no quarantine facilities, so animals arriving without proper documents will be refused entry and will be returned to the point of origin. Some guesthouses and hotels allow you to bring in small animals, but others will not, so be sure to inquire in advance. Always check to see what the latest regulations are before attempting to bring a dog or other pet -- including Seeing Eye dogs -- to Bermuda.

This is what I found--MasterLee but I am sure someone that knows will help you.

Go Trudy!! Are you going to become our new resident expert?

I found the same pet info too. I am just wondering if it would applicable to guide dog. If anyone here taken a guide dog to Bermuda, please share your experience. Thanks.

Welcome! First you will need the international health certificate from your vet. Then you need to contact Bermuda dept of Agriculture. I have a site with some info but they charge for the permit form. If you contact the Dept of Ag, they will send it to you for free.

http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Bermuda.cfm This gives you the requirements.

Good Luck! Any other questions, I'll be glad to try to help.

Cindy

POTTY AREA:

When we told it would be sod and when we arrived they told us where the potty box was placed. We went there and there was no sod, just gravel. The next day we had our CC meet and Greet and some of the staff came. I told them and they informed us it wasn't available when we left, but assured us it would be there in aruba. IT NEVER ARRIVED.

I would never ALLOW my dog to go in the box provided .. pics attached. It was gross! Quinn is peepad trained because we live in a condo on the 10th floor and I can't always take him out. Thank goodness this worked with not one mistake!

As for the rest ...

PROCESS: just provided paperwork and told the truth and we were given permission. Never once had a problem with the staff even on embarkation.

LEAVING QUINN IN CABIN: Quinn is only a year old and still training. We tipped the cabin stewart upon arrival, explained not to enter cabin if the do not disturb was on and when he saw us in corridor and asked, we told him Quinn was sleeping, he smiled and went about his business: ) Even though Quinn went everywhere on the ship with us, including dinner, he brought him back to cabin during the show and once when we went ashore. We brought his collapsable crate and it worked great!

I could not have done this without him and was so pleased with the whole thing!

Irishgirl Welcome! First I'd like to say we have been on many HAL cruises and most we have not had a problem. I saw the picture and that gravel is ridicilous. They had sawdust once which was horrible but we always get sod.

Secondly I don't know how you even got your dog on the cruise, from what I understand a dog in training is NOT allowed on a cruise ship. If someone here knows differently please correct me. And on HAL they are NOT allowed to be left in the cabin alone at any time.

What does Quinn do for you? He is very cute!! Hope you had a great time anyway.

Cindy

We are considering bringing my husband's (he is quadriplegic) service dog on a Western Caribbean cruise (RCL Freedom 07-July-13, 7 nights) and I heard that you have to get a Dept of Agriculture permit to bring the dog on this trip. Is this true? And if so, how do you go about doing this?

You will need the International health cretificate from your vet and then you need to check each island to see what their requirements are. Every island is different. You can check here http://www.pettravel.com/passportnew.cfm and then contact the dept of agriculture for each island. Some just require the intl health cert., but some have their own permits too. I might be able to help if you tell me which islands you will be going to.

Cindy

I would like to thank all of you for the great education regarding service dogs that I've received as a result of this thread. All the info you've posted about SD laws really came in handy when I took a call from a scammer inquiring about an apartment over the weekend.

I was very careful to only ask what her "service dog" did for her to assist her in her daily life. I also asked about what training the dog had received. The poor dear was not prepared to answer either question. Of course, that was before she dropped the HUD bomb regarding rent (I'm sorry, we are priced just above what HUD pays) and the no job bomb. Apparently she and her boyfriend are both trying to get disability and can't work.

For training, "well I don't know, she just does it. She did it for another lady and we bought her from my friend after the old lady passed away." I thought of Roz and how she was practicing escalators a couple of weeks back. Really, a dog that just does "it"? Right.

I would have ruled them out once I heard about the no job part, but I appreciate knowing a little bit about what to ask missy about her "service dog" that she decided she needed.

Barb, good for you! I'm so glad you were able to "weed-out" the imposter. I wish more folks were as diligent as you are and would just send these folks packing.

Although, I am aware that a lot of people with "pets" are losing their homes and are being forced to rent different venues; aparments, condo's, homes, etc. and not all of these are condusive to their furbabies. My heart goes out to them, but it's just not fair to put us folks who truly use our Service Dogs on a daily basis and can't live a quality life without them.

I think you handled it very well and certainly asked the right questions.

Hi All, I have been having a hard time getting in here. Then when I try to log in my name won't show up. Finally today I just hit the new thread and the box came up and all of a sudden my name was there and said I was logged in. :confused: Very strange!! I guess all this time I have been trying to get in, I was.

We have been a bunch of bums for a week. It's 10am and John is still sleeping. Only one more day to sleep late then it's back to 6am for us. Wex actually let me sleep til 9am today without pestering me to death. He's a good boy :D

We got like 6 inches of snow. Not fun! :mad: And this week it's going to be down in the single digits at night. Brrrrrrrrr

Yesterday I put Wexlers advantix on and later that day I found a tick on him!!!!! :mad: This is the first tick I have seen on him since we have had him. I had just taken him out a few minutes before and it had just bit him. Luckily hes a freak for belly rubs and it was in his armpit. It hadn't blown up yet so I know he had just gotten it. I always thought it was crazy to put tick stuff on in the winter but I guess it's not. I have never seen a tick in the winter before, especially since we just got 6 inches of snow. Very strange!!

I hope everyone has a Happy and Healthy New Year!!!! We hope to make it til midnight :eek:

Cindy

We're getting really cold at night too! Our days are sunny with a chilly wind now. It's nice to see some "weather!"

I'm so glad you found that nasty tick. I'm told that with Advantix, the tick may get on but he won't live long enough to harm the dog......just seeing one would freak me out!!!!!!

Roz is our resident expert! We are lucky to have her. So many people are trying to pass of their dogs as service dog, it's sickening. My neighbor was just questioned the other day in a store and she lied to the woman and said her dog was a service dog. :mad: Glad this thread helped you out!

Cindy

People who say their dog is a Service Dog [and they're not] should be ashamed of themselves.

I was in Nordstrom's and had just come off the escalator when a woman approached me and said that it was not safe for dogs to use the escalator, would I please use the elevator in the future. I asked who she was, she said she was the "floor manager!" I tried to stay "cool and calm!"

I said that my dog had been trained to use an escalator since he was a puppy and that it's actually very safe, I went on to explain what Horton does and what Org. he was trained through. I put my "officially trained and extremely knowledgeable hat on!" She, stepped back, apologized and wished me a Happy New Year!

I love doing that to people.......I very articulately made her feel like she was 1.5 inches tall!!!!!! Not in a bad way, just in a "I'm the school marm, stand back, stand up straight, tuck in your tummy....kind of way"! Love it!!!!

Hi Cindy

I have had the same problem for a few days too, it kept telling me wrong password etc., and not logged in, but when I would hit the back button, I was! Think Santa's little helpers have been left behind and causing mischief! ;):D

I want to wish you all a very Happy New Year with warmest wishes to you and the doggies for 2013.

Or as they say here "Happy Hogmanay and Lang may yer lum reek!" LOL!!

Happy Hagmanay, etc., etc. to you!!!

I have been having log on issues, also. I thought it might be my computer, but am glad to find out it isn't! Not glad that we are having problems:D

Algebralovr: I swear people have way too much time on their hands to even think about passing a pet as a SD! Oh, that's right, they don't have jobs. Plenty of time to dream more ways to screw the people who do or have worked for a living! Yikes. Glad you caught them in their little deceit. Roz is a walking encylopedia when it comes to SD's. We love her.

H A P P Y N E W Y E A R ! ! !

Safe travels and partying! We will be staying home, protecting the viscous dog (Jezzy Lou) from loud noises that make her dive under the bed! Might make it to midnight? Never know!

Well, I went back and tried to edit the spaces between Happy New Year, which I thought I put in, in the first place, no go. Guess the computer wants it all run together. Anyways, you guys get the message!

I think it looks very lovely!!!!!!!

I love you too!!!!!!

I used to like using AAA for travel but as of lately it's not been one of their strong suits. I don't think any business today can afford to be so slack on public service!

We plan to take a cruise to Bermuda on the new NCL's Breakaway. Could someone plase tell me what paper work is needed to bring a guide dog to Bermuda? Would I need a import permit from Bermuda government? Are the shopping area and transportation accessible to guide dog user?

What may apply to "pets" will NOT apply to Service Dogs. Service Dogs are NEVER subject to quarantines and although you will be allowed on the ship some islands will have their own entrance rules and even if you are allowed on the island, you may not be allowed in some restaurants or shops. You'll find that your patience will be worn thin in some travel venues and that even staying onboard the ship and taking turns going onto shore or just viewing from the ship may be what's in store.

I suggest you NEVER, NEVER, NEVER leave your dog onboard the ship, in the cabin alone! Anything can happen onboard a cruise ship [you're not on land your floating on water] and to subject your amazing Service Dog to anything that could happen is just not a good idea.