Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Mornin' all:

Cindy: The life before this one (education field and having Trav in school) was wonderful. Didn't have to plan around school and the prices were, what 1/2 what they are to cruise during spring break or summer. We love to cruise in the fall. October thru December. Years ago we went during Thanksgiving. It was before they started pricing it as a Holiday cruise. It was great. Light passenger volumn. We had a really good time. Now, I guess others have discovered it and they are charging the Holiday prices. I keep dreaming of another cruise. It seems life just keep getting in the way. It has been 6 years! Goodness the time flies.

Everyone have a great week. I am back on stand-by, my long term sub job ended. It was a vacant position that they filled. So waiting for the next one.

I hope you get to cruise soon.....it's been way too long for you. Good luck with getting that Sub. job.

So, Horton has to have his teeth brushed every day.....he has to have his nails almost to the fur and he has to lose weight......."You're in the army now!"

When CCI says "Working Dog" they mean; "Girl get your apron on, your going to work on this dog!"

Thank goodness I cured those darn ear infections, one less thing to worry about.....now get that tartar off those teeth, the fat off those ribs and the nails off those nails! :eek:

So, Horton has to have his teeth brushed every day.....he has to have his nails almost to the fur and he has to lose weight......."You're in the army now!"

When CCI says "Working Dog" they mean; "Girl get your apron on, your going to work on this dog!"

Thank goodness I cured those darn ear infections, one less thing to worry about.....now get that tartar off those teeth, the fat off those ribs and the nails off those nails! :eek:

When we were getting Wex, they told me I had to cut his nails! :eek: I was not happy about it and had to do it while we were there. When we got home John asked if I was going to do it and I said no. I didn't want to cut him and make him bleed. Miss B had very long nails and I guess once they grow long the quick grows with them and you cannot cut them short. So being the trooper I am :rolleyes: I started cutting Wexlers every Saturday. Now it's a routine. I have gotten good at it cuz if you keep them short, you only have to snip the smallest amount off. I hardly ever make him bleed now!!!!!! ;) He is very good about it and when I show him the clippers, he rolls on his back. When we are done, he gets "special cookies", that he only gets for certain things.

As for the teeth, I tried brushing them when we got him but gave up after a while. He did so much licking of the toothpaste, I couldn't get to the back teeth at all.

The weight.... geez John is a freak about that. If the poor thing gains a pound, he has a fit. It is so easy for a lab to get fat, eating is their favorite thing!

Edited by rangeley

When we were getting Wex, they told me I had to cut his nails! :eek: I was not happy about it and had to do it while we were there. When we got home John asked if I was going to do it and I said no. I didn't want to cut him and make him bleed. Miss B had very long nails and I guess once they grow long the quick grows with them and you cannot cut them short. So being the trooper I am :rolleyes: I started cutting Wexlers every Saturday. Now it's a routine. I have gotten good at it cuz if you keep them short, you only have to snip the smallest amount off. I hardly ever make him bleed now!!!!!! ;) He is very good about it and when I show him the clippers, he rolls on his back. When we are done, he gets "special cookies", that he only gets for certain things.

I can't do it, I tell you I can't do it!!!! CCI suggested that I try the "drummel" that they use in the nail shops and just file them instead of clipping......I'm taking him to the groomer until I either buy a drummel or get brave. If I ever made them bleed.......I'd be horrified!!!! I understand the yellow dogs are easier [you can see the quick.] I'll trade him in for a yellow one!!!! :(

And, he licks the handle of the brush, the bristle's of the brush, the hand that's doing the brushing and anything that's in the pathway of the toothpaste. He's a mighty licker!!!!!

I'm quite sure I'm brushing something in the back of his mouth, just not so sure it's always his teeth......could be he'll have the strongest gums in the CCI world!!!!!! :p ;)

I can't do it, I tell you I can't do it!!!! CCI suggested that I try the "drummel" that they use in the nail shops and just file them instead of clipping......I'm taking him to the groomer until I either buy a drummel or get brave. If I ever made them bleed.......I'd be horrified!!!! I understand the yellow dogs are easier [you can see the quick.] I'll trade him in for a yellow one!!!! :(

And, he licks the handle of the brush, the bristle's of the brush, the hand that's doing the brushing and anything that's in the pathway of the toothpaste. He's a mighty licker!!!!!

I'm quite sure I'm brushing something in the back of his mouth, just not so sure it's always his teeth......could be he'll have the strongest gums in the CCI world!!!!!! :p ;)

I had the drummel for Bailee, it worked pretty good, and it was easy. But unfortunately, Wex freaks out if hears the sound. :( I ended up giving it away.

We've used the Dremmell on Orson since we got him. He just lays on his back and let's us do it. You have to do a little at a time on each nail cause they do get hot. We are using it on Ocho too. With him it's about two pieces of kibble for every nail. But it's working.

Edited by DisneyKidsDad

There's one gal, close by my work, who only charges me $5.00 because Horty practically does it himself [so she says!] I drive him, he just meanders on in with a "La Dee Da" kind of attitude, really kind of a swagger, wherever he goes....he's such a big lug, you can't help but fall in love with him.

He puts his mile-long leg up into your face with that mile-long paw attached and gives you that "Horty-stare!" He's a wonderful boy and I want to take the very best care of him that I can. $10.00 a week for nails is what he's going to get until I can get brave enough to do them myself!

I had the drummel for Bailee, it worked pretty good, and it was easy. But unfortunately, Wex freaks out if hears the sound. :( I ended up giving it away.

My SIL had a doberman that hated the dremmel. I think it's that high-pitched sound and maybe that vibration feeling. Sometimes I don't like it for my own nails. :p

My SIL had a doberman that hated the dremmel. I think it's that high-pitched sound and maybe that vibration feeling. Sometimes I don't like it for my own nails. :p

There is definitely an art to using them.......if you're not careful more damage can be done with these than with a clipper. I've been burned by a manicurist, with a dremmel, and that was so painful!

I tell you the pitfalls of modern day life can do our babies in!!!!

Now, You look into these eyes and tell him you're going to cut his nails and you may make them bleed! NOT ME!!!!!CUTESTPIXOFHORTON_DEC-1-12.jpg

Me neither!!! Can I ask a stupid question. Why do they want their nails so short? I would be worried about cutting them so short as well, in fact, one occasion I asked the vet to cut their nails and she was scared to do it! Do your dogs have tickly paws? That would make the nail cutting hard! :eek:

Me neither!!! Can I ask a stupid question. Why do they want their nails so short? I would be worried about cutting them so short as well, in fact, one occasion I asked the vet to cut their nails and she was scared to do it! Do your dogs have tickly paws? That would make the nail cutting hard! :eek:

CCI wants short nails for two reasons. First, they don't want the dogs to make noise when they are walking on hard surfaces. Second,

it is safer for the person that is having the dog go up on their lap or any other time the person comes in contact with the dog and can be scratched.

We are looking at the 10day Noordam southern caribbean on February 7th. Wanna come?? :D

That sounds wonderful but my Art show is on the 10th. And we have that cruise on May 11th and maybe another in the fall. Have a great time, if you book it? I wanted to ask you, does Wexle bark when he is off duty----just wondering. :D

CCI wants short nails for two reasons. First, they don't want the dogs to make noise when they are walking on hard surfaces. Second,

it is safer for the person that is having the dog go up on their lap or any other time the person comes in contact with the dog and can be scratched.

Exactly!!!!

That sounds wonderful but my Art show is on the 10th. And we have that cruise on May 11th and maybe another in the fall. Have a great time, if you book it? I wanted to ask you, does Wexle bark when he is off duty----just wondering. :D

I don't know about Wexie but CCI doesn't train their dogs to bark as an "alert" tool.

Brenda would only bark when asked to and never did it for the first two years we had her. I love to hear her voice and encourage her to do it. She NEVER barks just for the sake of barking [only when asked to "speak".] Now Horty is a different story. He barks at any noise he hears outside of our home [especially the front door] - Someone in his puppy world encouraged this behavior and he does it well. I don't like continuois barking so I allow it in the beginning and then ask him to stop and he does!!!!! I don't mind intruders thinking I have a huge, fiersome watchdog on hand!!!!! ;)

It's next February Trudy, 2014 not this year. He only barks on command. I think I heard him bark once when someone was at the door.

Edited by rangeley

I don't know about Wexie but CCI doesn't train their dogs to bark as an "alert" tool.

Brenda would only bark when asked to and never did it for the first two years we had her. I love to hear her voice and encourage her to do it. She NEVER barks just for the sake of barking [only when asked to "speak".] Now Horty is a different story. He barks at any noise he hears outside of our home [especially the front door] - Someone in his puppy world encouraged this behavior and he does it well. I don't like continuois barking so I allow it in the beginning and then ask him to stop and he does!!!!! I don't mind intruders thinking I have a huge, fiersome watchdog on hand!!!!! ;)

I don't mind barking when someone is at the door. It would let an intruder know there is a big dog in here. We ask him to bark every once in a while just so we can hear him. But don't think he's quiet. He makes noises constantly, grunting , purring. I think he believes hes a cat! :eek::eek: