Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi there! I haven't been on CC for months. I subscribe to a few threads but yours is the only one I went back to where I left off (page 466) and caught up on everything. Took me 4 days! :eek::D

Had a very nice time in Alaska... weather was great especially scenic cruising Glacier Bay. It was so nice that day, when we started into the bay I was in my PJs on the balcony!

I'm glad to hear everyone is doing pretty good. Yes, life has its ups and downs but we can choose not to stay in the "down" part. Cruising and making friends on CC in definitely one of life's ups! :)

BTW: If you know any (US) federal government workers, the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) will be starting in the Fall. Both CCI and Caring Bridge are on the list of charities. ;)

This picture shows the Hollywood sign in the background.

A funny.........we stay in Coronado CA each winter. It is a resort complex.

So one day I am walking with Oz, who is decked out in his usual service dog clothes. We were walking around the large pool area and out of nowhere a larger dog sprang at Oz and bit his neck drawing blood.

I hunted for the owner and wanted to see her dog's innoculation forms. The woman assured me her dog was up to date........maybe so.......but, I wanted to see the forms.........

She brought the paperwork to my condo. At which time she told me her dog was a service dog.........so.......I ask......what is your disability??........Wait for it.......are you waiting........she said "I had a very nasty divorce!!!!!!!:(:(:(:(

Poor baby, the trials and tribulations of life!!!!! Let me see, just what would a "Divorce Dog" do:

1. Pick up the court papers off the floor.

2. Alert you when the lawyer calls

3. Stand guard over the car that's being repossesed

4. Swallow your engagement ring

5. Appear before the judge for the final decree

6. Provide the excuse for not signing the paperwork......"My Service Dog ate it!"

Hi there! I haven't been on CC for months. I subscribe to a few threads but yours is the only one I went back to where I left off (page 466) and caught up on everything. Took me 4 days! :eek::D

Had a very nice time in Alaska... weather was great especially scenic cruising Glacier Bay. It was so nice that day, when we started into the bay I was in my PJs on the balcony!

I'm glad to hear everyone is doing pretty good. Yes, life has its ups and downs but we can choose not to stay in the "down" part. Cruising and making friends on CC in definitely one of life's ups! :)

BTW: If you know any (US) federal government workers, the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) will be starting in the Fall. Both CCI and Caring Bridge are on the list of charities. ;)

Welcome back!!!! It's so nice to hear from you. Isn't Alaska wonderful! I'd love to do it again!

I have and automatic deduction taken out of my checking account every month for CCI. I can NEVER pay them back for all they've given me!

This picture shows the Hollywood sign in the background.

A funny.........we stay in Coronado CA each winter. It is a resort complex.

So one day I am walking with Oz, who is decked out in his usual service dog clothes. We were walking around the large pool area and out of nowhere a larger dog sprang at Oz and bit his neck drawing blood.

I hunted for the owner and wanted to see her dog's innoculation forms. The woman assured me her dog was up to date........maybe so.......but, I wanted to see the forms.........

She brought the paperwork to my condo. At which time she told me her dog was a service dog.........so.......I ask......what is your disability??........Wait for it.......are you waiting........she said "I had a very nasty divorce!!!!!!!:(:(:(:(

We've gone to the Marriott on Coronado Island for their Thanksgiving celebration......It's so lovely!

Poor baby, the trials and tribulations of life!!!!! Let me see, just what would a "Divorce Dog" do:

1. Pick up the court papers off the floor.

2. Alert you when the lawyer calls

3. Stand guard over the car that's being repossesed

4. Swallow your engagement ring

5. Appear before the judge for the final decree

6. Provide the excuse for not signing the paperwork......"My Service Dog ate it!"

Well you would be guaranteed to get the engagement ring back! ;):eek: LOL!

Welcome back from me too! :D

We just loved Alaska, I just adored watching the scenery go by from our stateroom - sounds like you had the sort of great weather we had!

We've gone to the Marriott on Coronado Island for their Thanksgiving celebration......It's so lovely!

Our complex is next door........

Same complex, different day, different person, different dog........came across a tall man in his mid 50s with no apparent physical disability and no dog present..........he saw Oz and told me that he had a service dog.......so..........I just had to ask.........what is your disability........he told me he "has a dept perception issue"..........what??? Next day, I see him riding his bike...................oh, what type of dog you ask???? A teacup size fluff ball, about 3 lbs............so, I am thinking, what does the dog do for a "dept perception issue".......right............oh, interesting enough our complex has "no pet" policy....interesting

P1000158.jpg.313fb25e655c8c39aa6e4c3bfe69a6c5.jpg

Same complex, different day, different person, different dog........came across a tall man in his mid 50s with no apparent physical disability and no dog present..........he saw Oz and told me that he had a service dog.......so..........I just had to ask.........what is your disability........he told me he "has a dept perception issue"..........what??? Next day, I see him riding his bike...................oh, what type of dog you ask???? A teacup size fluff ball, about 3 lbs............so, I am thinking, what does the dog do for a "dept perception issue".......right............oh, interesting enough our complex has "no pet" policy....interesting

Please don't get me wrong but I'm so surprised that folks answer your question so readily. "What is your disability?" really doesn't have to be answered and is not something that can be legally asked by any establishment. You don't have to disclose your disability to anyone. You must ask it in such a nice, matter-of-fact way that people are very comfortable with you to answer it.

Someone can ask, "what does your dog do for you?"; it's legal and all establishments have the right to know but most don't usually ask. Horton's ID Card does say what he does and their curiousity is peaked. I only show the ID when I'm checking into a hotel/cruise or the TSA. If a restaurant gives me a hard time I'll show it there too. But, if someone just matter-of-factly asks "what's wrong with you?", I just shrug my shoulders and say Horton's a bomb sniffing dog!!!!!!

Some people don't like our ID Cards because their not given by all Training Orgs. but I think that's a mistake, I like having it and I think ALL Orgs should supply them.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Please don't get me wrong but I'm so surprised that folks answer your question so readily. "What is your disability?" really doesn't have to be answered and is not something that can be legally asked by any establishment. You don't have to disclose your disability to anyone. You must ask it in such a nice, matter-of-fact way that people are very comfortable with you to answer it.

Someone can ask, "what does your dog do for you?"; it's legal and all establishments have the right to know but most don't usually ask. Horton's ID Card does say what he does and their curiousity is peaked. I only show the ID when I'm checking into a hotel/cruise or the TSA. If a restaurant gives me a hard time I'll show it there too. But, if someone just matter-of-factly asks "what's wrong with you?", I just shrug my shoulders and say Horton's a bomb sniffing dog!!!!!!

Some people don't like our ID Cards because their not given by all Training Orgs. but I think that's a mistake, I like having it and I think ALL Orgs should supply them.

Hi Roz, I would never ask if I didn't have an obvious disability and with a guide dog. I do ask in a matter of fact manner. Folks are comfortable telling me. And, I only ask what the disability is when it is rather obvious by the animal's behaviour that their animal is no guide/service dog.

Oz's jacket says Canadian Guide Dog for the Deaf....his ID says the same along with his ID# and his school's membership in the International Federation of Guide Schools.

Having said that, I advise all my temporarily able bodied friends to never touch the issue of what is their disability to someone with an obvious disability. For several reasons....it is none of their business....it is rude....it serves no purpose to know....and the answer may be surprising as the person could pick one of their several disabilities to disclose.

What on earth is a "dept perception issue"???

I think it would depend on the situation if I asked anyone about their disability - I would never ask any of you but may pick up info from the things you may write. I once asked a lovely lady shop assistant who had an enormous growth on her face, but I said that it was none of my business but may I ask about your face. She was so glad that I did. She said it was much better to ask, than just stare as most people do! She explained what it was, that she had always had it and could have surgery to remove it but chose not to as she said it was so much a part of her and who she was! She had the most beautiful eyes and I told her that too! :). I got the best of service and she remembered next time I went in.

So I think it depends very much on the situation and the person and how you ask!

If someone has a doggy helper, I would be interested to know what the dog did for them, only because I find it absolutely amazing what these dogs do - so I hope they would never take offence if I asked, but I would be careful when I chose to ask.

And if I saw Wexler on Halloween or at Christmas, I would definitely ask what on earth has your mummy done to you, you poor lamb? Oh my Rangeley, what a face he has in that Christmas photo - are you sure he wanted to be santa's little helper? LOL!!! It's the same "long-suffering" look my DH has sometimes ;):D.

Thanks for the photos - I love them! :D. I must sort out a couple of our two.

Edited by fairbourne

What on earth is a "dept perception issue"???

Thanks for the photos - I love them! :D. I must sort out a couple of our two.

Ha Ha.........I have no idea what his "dept perception issue" was.....but, I had fun trying to figure it out.

My first thought was that his 3lb fluff ball service dog could trip him on purpose, so he didn't trip on something bigger. I could never come up with what on earth this dog did for him. This was the same man who was riding his bike the next day.

For those that don't know, Wexler loves to dress up even though you can't tell from the pics. Just remember you guys asked for them! :eek: There's 3 Halloween and one xmas.

And if I saw Wexler on Halloween or at Christmas, I would definitely ask what on earth has your mummy done to you, you poor lamb? Oh my Rangeley, what a face he has in that Christmas photo - are you sure he wanted to be santa's little helper? LOL!!! It's the same "long-suffering" look my DH has sometimes ;):D.

The Christmas face is priceless!! :eek::D

I have been watching the flights for our February cruise. Hoping that they would drop alittle, but the other day I noticed the earlier flight (which we can't take) said "3 seats left at this price". Well a few days later that was gone and the price had gone up! :eek: So yesterday I noticed our flight on the way back said the same thing :eek: I told John about it and we decided to book. A little while after we booked it, I went in and guess what? The price had gone up! :eek: Very strange.

For those that don't know, Wexler loves to dress up even though you can't tell from the pics. Just remember you guys asked for them! :eek: There's 3 Halloween and one xmas.

Wexy, you're so handsome and such a party dude!!!!!!! I love it!!!! You know, the bigger the dog the more adorable they look in a costume......no offense to Oz and other cutie-pie's but there' s something so wonderful about seeing a big, black dog dressed like a bumble bee! ;)

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hi Roz, I would never ask if I didn't have an obvious disability and with a guide dog. I do ask in a matter of fact manner. Folks are comfortable telling me. And, I only ask what the disability is when it is rather obvious by the animal's behaviour that their animal is no guide/service dog.

Oz's jacket says Canadian Guide Dog for the Deaf....his ID says the same along with his ID# and his school's membership in the International Federation of Guide Schools.

Having said that, I advise all my temporarily able bodied friends to never touch the issue of what is their disability to someone with an obvious disability. For several reasons....it is none of their business....it is rude....it serves no purpose to know....and the answer may be surprising as the person could pick one of their several disabilities to disclose.

I knew you would handle it the right way!!!! I'm always shocked, I mean truly shocked when someone asks me, "what's wrong with you?" Or, "what kind of dog is that?" And, I ask, "do you mean what breed?" And, they say, "no, what does he do for you?" I don't always want a stranger to know so much about me!......It can be complicated!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Ha Ha.........I have no idea what his "dept perception issue" was....

Depth perception issue? Can be the result of very different focal lengths in the eyes - for example, one eye is long-sighted and the other is short-sighted.

I have been watching the flights for our February cruise. Hoping that they would drop alittle, but the other day I noticed the earlier flight (which we can't take) said "3 seats left at this price". Well a few days later that was gone and the price had gone up! :eek: So yesterday I noticed our flight on the way back said the same thing :eek: I told John about it and we decided to book. A little while after we booked it, I went in and guess what? The price had gone up! :eek: Very strange.

Morning All! Just wanted to put in my two cents worth about booking flights. The major air carriers usually store cookies on your computer. So they know you were looking at particular flights, dates, etc.

Our experience has always been that the prices go up each time you go back to look again from the same computer. This has happened even within an hour or two of searching different websites to compare flights and prices. Seems like they want to create a sort of feeding frenzy where you buy quickly because the cost is going up and up. You might buy from another carrier if you have time to shop around...

I am not a travel expert, just a very annoyed consumer.

Have a great day! Beckie