Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

John is home today. The elevator that they are still putting in (should have been done before school started) is not working. They have been hooking up wires for the past 2 weeks to get him up to the 2nd floor. Yesterday they blew something and had to carry John out of the building. Now they had to order a part, so he can't go in today.

Wex has a double ear infection, which is no surprise :mad: I just checked them this week and they were clean. How can they get infected that fast? Now they are beat red and stink!! Of course I just used up the last of the ear med last night.

Dog class this weekend. The pet store/groomer where we have our classes did a nail clipping event for Apr/May/June and raised almost 10,000 for CCI!! Wexler is going to be holding the check for a photo op when its presented this Saturday. Maybe it will be in the CCI newsletter.

That stinks! I'm sorry to hear that John's beginning of the school year had such a rough beginning!

I'm also sorry to hear about Wex's ears, poor guy! Labs and their ears are the worst.

I wish I could have gone to the nail clipping event [both my kids need their nails to be done!]

I'll be checking the newsletter for our Wex's picture.

Cindy, Where are y'all cruising in February? That date actually looks pretty good.:)

Eastern Caribbean, St Thomas, Grand Turk, Puerto Rico, and Holland Americas private island which is beautiful.

I love it when you say y'all!!!

Edited by rangeley

Just met with the infectious disease doctor on our transplant team. Gave us the all clear to cruise and fly. Certainly precautions are needed....but woo hoo...cruising is back on the life plan.

Even better....Rich and I have a new foster pup! So it is back to puppy raising another service dog. His name is Bruce.

Woo Hoo x2! :D :D

Yesterday was Global Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness Day. Bruce attended his first conference. He found lying under Rich's wheelchair a very safe place to sleep thru the speakers. He did wake up to the applause tho.

Here's to Bruce and every Working/Service dog either retired, in service or in training.

My respect and love for you and what you do [did] yesterday, today and tomorrow deserves all of our respect, gratitude and love.

To the Service Dogs in my life - Brenda & Horton - Thank you for all that you are to me, what you were to Morey and continue to be in so many lives.

PROS & CONS OF CRUISING WITH A SERVICE DOG

PROS:

ALWAYS HAVING SOMEONE WITH YOU

ALWAYS HEARING EVERYTHING IN YOUR ENVIRONMENT

SOMEONE TO PICK UP SOMETHING OFF THE FLOOR FOR YOU

SOMEONE TO PUSH THE ELEVATOR BUTTON

SOMEONE TO TURN ON THE LIGHT

SOMEONE TO PICK-UP THE PHONE

SOMEONE TO HOLD THE DOOR OPEN FOR YOU

SOMEONE TO HELP YOU FEEL SAFE

SOMEONE TO HELP YOU GET UP FROM A CHAIR

SOMEONE TO GUIDE YOU THROUGH THE CROWDS

SOMEONE TO HELP YOU MAKE NEW FRIENDS

SOMEONE WHO WILL BE "THERE" FOR YOU NO MATTER WHAT

SOMEONE TO LOVE YOU NO MATTER WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE

CONS:

WILL ALWAYS REMIND YOU WHEN IT'S TIME TO EAT

WILL ALWAYS REMIND YOU WHEN IT'S TIME TO GO POTTY

WILL ALWAYS REMIND YOU WHEN IT'S TIME TO GO FOR EXERCISE

WILL ALWAYS REMIND YOU WHEN THERE'S A STRANGE NOISE

WILL ALWAYS REMIND YOU WHEN SOMEONE'S CALLING YOUR NAME

WILL ALWAYS GO TO THE DOOR WHEN SOMEONE'S OUTSIDE

WILL ALWAYS "POKE" YOU WHEN IT'S TIME FOR A TREAT

WILL SNORE LOUDER THAN ANY HUMAN

WILL ALWAYS HAVE TO SCRATCH WHEN YOU'VE JUST FALLEN ASLEEP AND THEY'RE LAYING BESIDE YOU

WILL WANT TO SNUGGLE WITH YOUR FAVORITE SOCKS

WILL STARE AT YOU FOREVER IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN SOMETHING

WILL STAND IN YOUR WAY WHEN YOU'RE TRYING TO CHANGE THE CHANNEL

WILL BRING YOU THE BALL WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE DOING NOTHING

If you have any additions please add to it......

Edited by wizard-of-roz

PROS:

CONS:

WILL ALWAYS HAVE TO SCRATCH WHEN YOU'VE JUST FALLEN ASLEEP AND THEY'RE LAYING BESIDE YOU

All of them are so true!!! How about reminds you it's always time for bellies!! Welxers favorite!

Does Horty poke you? When I have the bag of treats in my hand, Wexler always pokes me, it's so cute. He's saying hurry up and get that bag open!!!

PROS:

CONS:

Bet I have this one beat... ask DH! :eek::D

All of them are so true!!! How about reminds you it's always time for bellies!! Welxers favorite!

Does Horty poke you? When I have the bag of treats in my hand, Wexler always pokes me, it's so cute. He's saying hurry up and get that bag open!!!

I used to think that Brenda's "pokes" were pretty big but Horton's "pokes" are so huge he can literally push me forward or back when he's being insistent!

Horton will stand in front of me when he sees me getting out of a chair and will wait for me to hold on to his back for help up! He's a very thoughtful boy!

One thing I've been slacking on with him is letting other people give him commands or "thanks!" I noticed when I was in the market and I asked him to sit, forgetting to thank him or saying "good boy!" A person standing in line behind us said, "good boy!" I guess it's just human nature to say something. In my office, one of my co-workers will command him to "lay down" or "sit." I was balled-out by a trainer at CCI who reminded me that NO ONE is allowed to give commands to our dogs but us!

Talk to the Matre d' and ask for a table that backs-up to a wall where your dog can lay against, without being in the way of other diners or the serving staff.

Horton is huge and we were given a table that had a railing with an open space for him to lay down and be out of the way, as each server came over we let him/her know that Horton was there and from that moment on no one stepped on or tripped over him!!!! We actually surprised many diners who sat near us and had no idea that a dog was even in the room!

Don't try to put your dog under the table......I did and after he was stepped on because people forgot he was under there, he would get spooked and would come out from his down/stay position, I decided to never try that again!

Get in the habit of taking you dog with you....it's good for both of you.

Hey Roz, I had Oz under the table for dinner on the ship.

He was being sooooo good, never once did he poke his head out........then I found out why!!! The man to my left was feeding him...by the time I clued in by looking under the table cloth to check on him....Oz was eating Baked Alaska..........was I unhappy? You betcha.

Hey Roz, I had Oz under the table for dinner on the ship.

He was being sooooo good, never once did he poke his head out........then I found out why!!! The man to my left was feeding him...by the time I clued in by looking under the table cloth to check on him....Oz was eating Baked Alaska..........was I unhappy? You betcha.

OMG! People can be so [excuse the word] stupid! What if he had an allergy to the food? Or, if he choked? It's why I like my dog out in the open where I can keep an eye on him, along with the public. :o

Brenda was [what some would call] a creepy-crawler! She would creep around, under the table, on her tummy and lick up all the dropped stuff.....once when I went under to get her, she was clear across to the other side. So embarrassing! I know I should have stuck her leash under my leg but I forgot....and, all it takes is one time!!!!

Oz can be so fast with eating something he shouldn't. Last year we were crossing the street in San Diego to get our ship........me with my roller suitcase on the left and Oz on the right.

He obviously spied something to eat in his line of vision and had it swollowed before I knew it.

All night and all the next day on the ship, you know who had ALL the symptoms of food gone bad..........ALL the symptoms.

I had to take Oz to the ship's doctor. He called Oz's vet in Canada and between the two of them, they came up with a plan of antibotics and a diet of rice and a little chicken.

Oz was one very sick pup.

P1000158.jpg.14c078f37faaa13c2cbfb6a0cf850753.jpg

Oz can be so fast with eating something he shouldn't. Last year we were crossing the street in San Diego to get our ship........me with my roller suitcase on the left and Oz on the right.

He obviously spied something to eat in his line of vision and had it swollowed before I knew it.

All night and all the next day on the ship, you know who had ALL the symptoms of food gone bad..........ALL the symptoms.

I had to take Oz to the ship's doctor. He called Oz's vet in Canada and between the two of them, they came up with a plan of antibotics and a diet of rice and a little chicken.

Oz was one very sick pup.

Wow! Thanks for sharing your story with us. I swear you'd think that we're starving these dogs!

I guess it's why they make such good Service Dogs....they're so food driven that they'll do anything to get that bite of food!

With Labs, it's so easy for them to put weight on, we have to be very careful to make sure we're including the training and reward food with their daily meals. Brenda [my first SD], who is now 13 1/2 gained weight and looked like a "rollie-polie" at one point. Everyone at CCI would remind me of how fat she was...now she's thin and living out her senior years as a diva.