Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

We had a very busy weekend. Saturday was "town day". It's a day where they close down the main street and have kind of a fair. All the businesses come out and set up booths, selling food, goods, and all kinds of information. We maned the disability commission booth. Wexler was the main attraction. Many people came over to pat him and learn about him. Saturday night, my friend from CCI was here with her fiance and we had dinner with them. Sunday we headed into Boston for the abilities expo, where John and Wexler did a demo. Poor Wex was exhausted. Very busy weekend for him, so many people touching him and John making him do commands. He was a trooper all the way!!! He did great and he got rewarded with a prime rib bone last night. We will need a week to recover. :eek:

I just went in a looked and our flight has gone up 100.00 pp. Geez I'm glad I had a feeling and booked when I did.

You, John and Wexy are a wonderful team! When you set your mind to doing something you go all the way! Great planning on the airfare!

Wexy, good job big boy!!!! I know he made John and you proud!

I'm packing all Horty's stuff for our cruise and everytime I see the hansome Tux I think of you!!!

I have to share this photo of my daughter and Gibson on our first outing to the symphony. She ordered him a special tux bow tie. The staff at Helzberg Hall told us that Gibson was their first service animal since the building opened. He was so good, just laid down next to her and rested through the whole program. (Only one time did he get up to sniff the back of the two folks seated in front of us. They were really nice about it though, a lady and her 7 year old grandson.)

Thanks! Beckie

Our Trip To The Symphony.pdf

I have to share this photo of my daughter and Gibson on our first outing to the symphony. She ordered him a special tux bow tie. The staff at Helzberg Hall told us that Gibson was their first service animal since the building opened. He was so good, just laid down next to her and rested through the whole program. (Only one time did he get up to sniff the back of the two folks seated in front of us. They were really nice about it though, a lady and her 7 year old grandson.)

Thanks! Beckie

Beckie, what a beautiful picture. Gibson looks so much like my Horty [only smaller!]

Thanks so much for sharing it with all of us.

So, Horty and I went to the market yesterday. I'm walking along and a woman is walking towards me. The woman sticks out her hand to touch Horton and, he lunges forward to sniff her hand [never missing the opportunity to get food from someone!] He nearly pulls me off my feet, I give him a quick "correction" the woman notices it and quickly turns down another aisle.

Horton should have NEVER lunged forward, the lady should have NEVER reached out for him. Had I not been stable on my feet, I would have gone down. It could have been a tragic accident!

Will there be people in the market, in the movies, in the deparment store who will try to touch our dogs, you bet! Even just eye contact with a Service Dog can turn into a dangerous situation for the handler & the dog.

PLEASE, if you see a miracle worker [service Dog], resist the urge to touch or have eye contact with the dog. He's doing an important job and he's just a 2 year old child [in his mind]; he's easily distracted and always looking for a snack. He has a lot to think about and needs to focus on the task-at-hand. YOU can help us by just ignoring him!

Thanks! Beckie

wow, that's an awesome picture--you must be very proud!

hey roz,

you're leaving this week, right? where are you going?

it'd be cool if y'all were on the same trip as me and rex. celebrity west-coast 'wine' cruise (i'm not a wine drinker--but the ports are good and only 2 sea-days out of 11).

we leave tomorrow morning -- so today, i'm droppin' rex off for a bath while i go to the 'groomer' (aka: barber shop) too--then we should both be good-to-go!

safe travels to you and horty!

s/f

vr/chandler.

over...

Horton & Brenda are at the Groomers. They're both so cute when they get in the salon; tails wagging and big smiles on their faces. They're greeted by a GIANT, cream colored Labradoodle, named Beethoven [who has the longest eyelashes.]

It's Brenny's "Spa" day and Horton's along because he's going on a cruise!

Thanks! Beckie

Lovely photo - thank you for sharing it! They are all the same, these dogs of ours, they always like a sneaky sniff but the boys do seem to like sneaky sniffs more! ;):D

hey roz,

it'd be cool if y'all were on the same trip as me and rex. celebrity west-coast 'wine' cruise (i'm not a wine drinker--but the ports are good and only 2 sea-days out of 11).

we leave tomorrow morning -- so today, i'm droppin' rex off for a bath while i go to the 'groomer' (aka: barber shop) too--then we should both be good-to-go!

s/f

vr/chandler.

over...

Semperpup - have a fabulous time and please come back and tell us of your travels! :) S/F :)

hey roz,

s/f

vr/chandler.

over...

Chandler, we're also doing the wine country [Pacific Northwest] onboard the Star Princess, leaving on Sunday. I'll look for your ship as we pass on the gorgeous Pacific Ocean.

Horton's at the spa right now too!

Have a wonderful and relaxing cruise. Celebrity's a great cruiseline.

So, Horty and I went to the market yesterday. I'm walking along and a woman is walking towards me. The woman sticks out her hand to touch Horton and, he lunges forward to sniff her hand [never missing the opportunity to get food from someone!] He nearly pulls me off my feet, I give him a quick "correction" the woman notices it and quickly turns down another aisle.

Horton should have NEVER lunged forward, the lady should have NEVER reached out for him. Had I not been stable on my feet, I would have gone down. It could have been a tragic accident!

Will there be people in the market, in the movies, in the deparment store who will try to touch our dogs, you bet! Even just eye contact with a Service Dog can turn into a dangerous situation for the handler & the dog.

PLEASE, if you see a miracle worker [service Dog], resist the urge to touch or have eye contact with the dog. He's doing an important job and he's just a 2 year old child [in his mind]; he's easily distracted and always looking for a snack. He has a lot to think about and needs to focus on the task-at-hand. YOU can help us by just ignoring him!

Absolutely! I would go so far as to say that people shouldn't touch any strange dog. I always ask if I meet someone with their dog, not a working service dog, if I can say "hello", its only courteous and of course some dogs are not "people" dogs! It's amazing how many people just come up to dogs (well ours anyway) and stick their hand out for a pat.

As long as I shared the "mistake" meeting at the supermarket, I should share the adorable one......I'm walking along and a teeny, tiny little "baby-doll" of a girl is walking towards Horton [she didn't look like she should be able to walk, that's how teeny she was!] She's holding her blanket, a babydoll and her bottle. She's got the most scowling look on her face....so angry, so upset, with a big tear running down her cheek. I'm walking towards her as is Horton. She's not a bit afraid of him [and he's towering over her!] Her mother is calmly walking along side her.

I said, "what's wrong, you look so sad!" Her mother then replies, "she didn't want to sit in the cart when we entered and now she's changed her mind!"

The little girl proceeds to walk in Horton's direction [he's amazed by her, he can't believe how tiny she is!] and, she only has two legs!!!!!

The little girl walks right up to Horton, taps him on the nose and says, "you big!" And lands a kiss on his nose! Her scowl has now disappeared and is the biggest smile across her gorgeous, little face!

These are the moments that absolutely amaze me about these gentle giant dogs!!!!!!

I know, I know....exactly what you're thinking. How could the mother let this tiny little being go up to a strange dog? I know what he's capable of but she had no idea......it amazed me too!!!!

As long as I shared the "mistake" meeting at the supermarket, I should share the adorable one......I'm walking along and a teeny, tiny little "baby-doll" of a girl is walking towards Horton [she didn't look like she should be able to walk, that's how teeny she was!] She's holding her blanket, a babydoll and her bottle. She's got the most scowling look on her face....so angry, so upset, with a big tear running down her cheek. I'm walking towards her as is Horton. She's not a bit afraid of him [and he's towering over her!] Her mother is calmly walking along side her.

I said, "what's wrong, you look so sad!" Her mother then replies, "she didn't want to sit in the cart when we entered and now she's changed her mind!"

The little girl proceeds to walk in Horton's direction [he's amazed by her, he can't believe how tiny she is!] and, she only has two legs!!!!!

The little girl walks right up to Horton, taps him on the nose and says, "you big!" And lands a kiss on his nose! Her scowl has now disappeared and is the biggest smile across her gorgeous, little face!

These are the moments that absolutely amaze me about these gentle giant dogs!!!!!!

I know, I know....exactly what you're thinking. How could the mother let this tiny little being go up to a strange dog? I know what he's capable of but she had no idea......it amazed me too!!!!

Aaaaah ... That's a delightful tale or should that be tail?? ;):D. And I bet Big Boy's was wagging nineteen to the dozen! :D

Chandler, we're also doing the wine country [Pacific Northwest] onboard the Star Princess, leaving on Sunday. I'll look for your ship as we pass on the gorgeous Pacific Ocean.

Horton's at the spa right now too!

Have a wonderful and relaxing cruise. Celebrity's a great cruiseline.

thank you roz--i'm looking forward to it.

star princess is also a very nice ship--the princess formula definitely works.

we were on the star in may 2013 r/t seattle to alaska. my first (but definitely not my last) experience with the "international cafe". i like that place a lot!

confidence is high! your trip will be excellent ... with blessings from the past, plus new/exciting 'memories' waiting to be made! safe travels & god bless.

s/f

vr/chandler

over...

Trudy, I'm sorry you've had some challenges.....does this mean you can get a Service Dog? I hope not! Or, I hope so! Just be well!!!!!!

What did the picture say? Thanks for thinking of me and my "boo-boo!" That's what I call her!

No Roz, I am not getting a service dog but I did have an app in to get one of the dogs that didn't do well for a service dog. But seems, not many are going through training in the Orlando area and the wait might be another year. So, if we get another dog, we might not be able to wait for so long. We are getting older and waiting longer might not be good for us. But we will see.

Gosh, I don't remember all the words under the picture but it was the" KIND " you and the good things you do for Brenny and of course Horty. Have a great cruise.

Thanks everyone for the kind wishes and the perfect send off! I'll come back and tell you all about it.

Good luck Trudy on getting a "released" dog. They make wonderful pets.....it's how Dean Koontz [mystery book writer] became our million dollar donor to CCI in Oceanside, CA, after he received his wonderful [now passed] released SD "Trixie!" He fell very hard for that wonderful dog and then fell just as hard for Canine Companions. How lucky for us!!!

[/colorRoz: You aren't leaving until Sunday, right? Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss telling you to have a fan-tab-u-lous cruise! Let the ocean sea breeze carry all your troubles and cares away, even if it is only for a brief time! :D:D

Thanks so much.....so much to do. :rolleyes: