Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I too will have my 36th anniversary on October 8th! Long time isn't it? :-);)

Exact same date and number of years!! Happy Anniversary!! :D

And thanks all for the well wishes.

Wow what are the chances of this happening? Amazing!

And to you too Nancy! :). I do hope Roz is enjoying herself with her Big Boy and not fretting too much about MissB. We know what she's like! ;):)

Colleen - any news about Oz and retirement plans? (Have told some people about your predicament and they are all shocked, totally shocked that anyone would think of parting you two!).

No new news on the retirement plans except it will be before March 2014...will try to influence change again in another couple of weeks.

This is how it was explained to me, if I understand it correctly. If I had a guide dog for the blind, he/she would be reactive to commands your commands. But, if you have a guide dog for the deaf, the dog is proactive......it never stops working, even out of harness, as he/she is "hearing" for me 24/7. Therefore, the dog would continue to "hear" and "alert" after retirement.

I think I have it right, or mostly right. Will let you know of any changes...promise. Wish me luck!

224746_6025626692_1278_n.jpg.fe6945f8c4cc7432ece22ac11197b5f0.jpg

No new news on the retirement plans except it will be before March 2014...will try to influence change again in another couple of weeks.

This is how it was explained to me, if I understand it correctly. If I had a guide dog for the blind, he/she would be reactive to commands your commands. But, if you have a guide dog for the deaf, the dog is proactive......it never stops working, even out of harness, as he/she is "hearing" for me 24/7. Therefore, the dog would continue to "hear" and "alert" after retirement.

I think I have it right, or mostly right. Will let you know of any changes...promise. Wish me luck!

Who's to say it would not alert the new person it was with. I'm sure when Roz asked Horty to "get", Brenny probably got up to "get" too at the beginning. I don't know :( I just feel so bad and hope things work out for you. :D

Hi Honey, I'm Home!!!!!!!

What the !@#$ is going on?????? DKD.....You're mighty brave on the keyboard mister!!!!

Trudy, I missed wishing you a Bon Voyage....but, my good wishes go with you, always!

Cindy, every time I asked Horty to "get" or go "hurry" or "drop", Brenny would be the first one to respond and she slowly, ever so slowly just let him take over. I think she was thrilled to let him take the reins. I know CCI would leave it up to the handler as to whether they she could or could not handle the control and behavior of both dogs. I hope they see the connection between Oz and Colleen and continue to allow Oz to remain in his loving home.

You guys would not believe how many people came over to me to tell me that they read our thread and love cheering each one of us on!!!! They're just too shy to write - "SHEILA!" I told her I would shout out to her and to Mike. I also encouraged them to join our group and become part of us.

Now, on to the Star Princess.....All I can say is "YUCK!" This is not a new ship but it lacks so much authority and direction. I, personally, blame the Hotel Manager for the horrible mistakes that were made from the moment I entered the ship; from setting-up Horton's potty box in the most inconvenient place; NEVER maintaining it the entire week [i had to keep kicking and moving around the wood shavings so he wasn't stepping in his urine or tracking it into the hallway.] I picked-up the waste but it remained in the same trash can the entire week; then they removed the box before we left the ship on debarkation day so, I just walked off the ship before my number or color was called, in disgust, they basically said to me [without saying it, "you're on your own lady, too bad you've got a Service Dog with you!".......Torn carpets, sloppy maintenance, poor decision making and non-attentive managers. Will I cruise the Star again........not if I can help it!!!!!!

Solution: I made them move the box to my usual stairwell......I INSISTED ON IT......Even after they told me that it was a "security issue!" I reminded them that the Golden, Diamond and Sapphire did not think it was a security issue......call them!!!!!!!

I told them that I was going to write a review on Cruise Critic when I got home.......I don't know if it made a difference but the box was moved......totally ignored, but, at least, moved!!!!!!

I believe that Horton and I were dismissed because I don't LOOK HANDICAPPED!!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Cruising with your Service Dog is a wonderful thing to do. Don't let the ignorant and the lazy get in your way. Stand strong, walk or wheel with pride and enjoy your time with your amazing hero.

I'm going to call Amber at Princess Access Care Dept. and let her know about the horrible mistakes that the Star Princess made; how they inconvenienced me and Horton; how they made me feel small; insignificant and on my own!!!!! How I was made to feel like, "Oh! Well! Figure it out for yourself!"

I won't let it go, I will complain BIG, both here, on the phone and on the Princess thread [not just for the disabled but for EVERYONE who deserves proper treatment from a cruise line!] It was simply NOT NICE!!!!

Go get'em Roz!

I'm sorry that you didn't receive your usual service on the Princess ship.

All the other lines have pulled out of California this year. It is interesting that Princess chose to put a ship that is obviously worn to represent them when they are pretty much the only game in town.

Go get'em Roz!

I'm sorry that you didn't receive your usual service on the Princess ship.

All the other lines have pulled out of California this year. It is interesting that Princess chose to put a ship that is obviously worn to represent them when they are pretty much the only game in town.

We're on the Crown [out of L.A.] in April and then September. I'm going to make sure that I mention the location of the "box" when I speak with Amber tomorrow and again one week before the cruise. I'll remind her that the "location" of the box is imperative. And, that the box remain intact as long as Horton and I are on the ship.....making the convenience in my favor......not theirs!!!!

Welcome home, Roz and Mr. Horty. I bet Ms. Brenny was glad to see BOTH of you! We missed you, too! I am sure the Star Princess will reconsider how they treat people in the future (Well hopefully)It could have been so simple.........

Nancy, I was so glad to see her. And Horty was so happy, he just danced around her. She did really well with Lee. Although he and I texted every day.......I couldn't help but think about her all the time. She's such a great girl, she and he are great buddies!

You're so right, it all could have been so simple. Treat my dog well and you've got me on your side forever! It's why I've always loved the Sapphire.....it didn't matter when we were on her, they ALWAYS made me feel welcome and made Brenda and Horton very comfortable!

Welcome home - you were missed, but am glad you met so may "lurkers"! LOL!

And what a state of affairs with the ship - I know you will not let this go, if only for others who follow in your wake (sorry couldn't resist that one! ;):))

What gets my goat is that these people - anywhere - who give others a "couldn't give a monkeys you know what" attitude, they have absolutely no idea of the consequences of this attitude. And most times couldn't care less either!

I bet Brenda was so happy to see you both - I have laughed so often of your tale of Horton and the tiny "you big - kiss" child! :)

Enjoy the post cruise washing, the ironing .... LOL! ;):D

Edited by fairbourne

Wishing you all the luck in the world! :). I think as Roz says the original dog would naturally slow down and be happy to hand over ....... Rules, rules, rules instead of downright common sense!

Welcome home, Roz and Horton! :) It's funny/weird how different ships in the same cruise line are run so differently. No, of course you can't let this go. You need to make sure it doesn't happen to the next person with a SD... which could be someone here!

Edited by dobiemom

Welcome back Roz!! Sorry to hear about all the trouble. But how was the cruise otherwise? I tried my best to keep this crew in line, but I was overwhelmed. :rolleyes:

Oh really??? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: I think you were the troublemaker!

Welcome back Roz!! And a big hello to all of my friends. Rich and I have our cruise booked!!! 15 day full transit panama canal. LA-FL!! Looking forward to walking across that gang way. Now, who wants to join!!!

The other night I dreamed that I was meeting "Cooler" and her recepient and going on a cruise with them. I think I need to cruise with a service dog again......

Happy Anniversary to all of you celebrating!!!! Mrs. DKD my very special wishes for what must seem like 65 years, at times!!!! :p Just kidding!!! ;)

Again, to all you lurkers......we love having you. :)

This was my first cruise coming home and Morey wasn't waiting for me or walking in with me!!!! So, so weird and not what I thought this time of my life would be filled with! I miss him, such a beautiful man!

Back to work and catching-up and Fairbourne, you're so right about the laundry. However, I learned a long time ago to find a cleaner that does "fluff & fold!" I stuff the bag full and they make it smell and look so pretty. I don't have to sweat it, I just have to drop it!!!!! A working girls best friend.

I forgot to tell you guys about our Meet & Greet. It was the best I've ever been to. A gal named Sharon took over and made us lanyards with our names on them and we played a game where she included each one of us and told a story about each of us. She even gave out prizes......Iit was so much fun and started out so, so slowly with only a few of us in the beginning of the roll call and turned into over 50 of us who showed-up in Skywalkers Lounge.

People never cease to amaze me in how they can rally and have fun together, even as strangers!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Welcome home, Roz and Horton! :) It's funny/weird how different ships in the same cruise line are run so differently. No, of course you can't let this go. You need to make sure it doesn't happen to the next person with a SD... which could be someone here!

I know. I feel a sense of obligation to make sure that each of the ships, within a cruiseline, follow the same standard.

Welcome back Roz!! And a big hello to all of my friends. Rich and I have our cruise booked!!! 15 day full transit panama canal. LA-FL!! Looking forward to walking across that gang way. Now, who wants to join!!!

The other night I dreamed that I was meeting "Cooler" and her recepient and going on a cruise with them. I think I need to cruise with a service dog again......

Sunshine, that's such good news. Congratulations. What's the date?

Someone onboard the Star was asking about you. They remembered cruising with us and mentioned that you had had a conversation with them about Service Dogs. I thought that was so neat that they remembered you.