Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

A few months ago, I decided that I really needed to lose weight and it was time I did something about it. I wasn't going to mention it because I had no idea how it was going to go. Well I started walking and changed all my eating habits. About a month in, my foot started to hurt really bad. I looked it up on the internet and figured out I had gotten plantar fasciitis. UGH!! :mad: I had lost some weight so I kept dieting without the exercise. I was still losing some but it has been so slowwwwwww and discouraging. I decided that I was going to start the walking again no matter what! The doctor gave me some stretches to do and told me to ice my foot down when I got back from my walk. She also told me to take 600mg of ibuprofen when I needed it. So now I am back walking and have lost 26lbs!!! Woooohoooo :D Only 74 more to go! :( About 10yrs ago John and I quit smoking and food was my way to compensate for not smoking. Now that was hard!! Losing weight I think might be even harder. Why can't anything be easy?? Now we find out Wexler is 7lbs overweight and we have been trying the rice cakes(which he hates) and carrots. I have been walking alone this week but he is in for a rude awakening this weekend. I hope he can keep up! :D Thanks for listening to my boring story.

Cindy, I won't go anywhere without mine. The wheels in the front turn 360 degrees, it has a smaller basket in back of the big one for incidentals. I bought it on Amazon dot com. I do get some stares but I think that's from folks who wish they'd thought of it!

I use it when I board airplanes, boats, trains. It's so helpful. The TSA let me wheel it up to the door of the plane and the police at the docks let me wheel it all the way to my cabin. I put my purse, jewelry, meds., etc. in and I don't have to carry anything. It's treated like a wheelchair and I attach Horty's [godforsaken] leash to it and were good to go!

At the end of my cruise, I load it up and off we go!!!!

Mine has the swivel wheels too!! I got mine online from Walmart. I use it for groceries since where I park is far away from the building. Also use it for going home to my moms for putting my laundry in. I cannot live without it!!

It's almost like they teach them to be bad off the least. Wexler will chase the ball once, then the second time you throw it, he runs... right by it, and wanders off. :confused: He won't even turn around and look at us. Then it's scream at Wexler time trying to get him to come back. I should say we are at our high school that is all fenced in. But the fences are really far away.

Okay, now I don't feel so bad......If it weren't for the fact that Brenda is so obsessed by catching and bringing the ball back to us she would have been difficult to get back too! I'd take her to the dog park and she'd ignore all the dogs and look for the rattiest, most torn-up ball in the park. She'd pick it up and bring it to me. I'd better throw it or she wouldn't stop staring at me and doing the "Brenda bounce", where she'd dance around me until I threw it.....over and over again, until I knew my arm was going to come off.

When I'd had enough [she'd never want to stop], I'd hold the ball in my hand and start walking towards the entrance to the park. I'd put on her leash and we'd walk to my car [i'd throw the ball over the fence] and we'd leave.

I could NEVER take Horton to the doggie park, he wouldn't come back to me because he doesn't think there's anything special about tennis balls or balls in general and, especially me calling him to "come!"

When we go for re-certification and the trainer asks us to drop the leash and keep on walking, I'm so nervous because I think, "Oh, my gosh, what if this is the time when Horton decides to do his keep-away thing?" I think these dogs know when they're being watched by a trainer.....they're so smart!

Him being this way didn't help with crazy-man night! What's up with this "keep away" thing?

Edited by wizard-of-roz

A few months ago, I decided that I really needed to lose weight and it was time I did something about it. I wasn't going to mention it because I had no idea how it was going to go. Well I started walking and changed all my eating habits. About a month in, my foot started to hurt really bad. I looked it up on the internet and figured out I had gotten plantar fasciitis. UGH!! :mad: I had lost some weight so I kept dieting without the exercise. I was still losing some but it has been so slowwwwwww and discouraging. I decided that I was going to start the walking again no matter what! The doctor gave me some stretches to do and told me to ice my foot down when I got back from my walk. She also told me to take 600mg of ibuprofen when I needed it. So now I am back walking and have lost 26lbs!!! Woooohoooo :D Only 74 more to go! :( About 10yrs ago John and I quit smoking and food was my way to compensate for not smoking. Now that was hard!! Losing weight I think might be even harder. Why can't anything be easy?? Now we find out Wexler is 7lbs overweight and we have been trying the rice cakes(which he hates) and carrots. I have been walking alone this week but he is in for a rude awakening this weekend. I hope he can keep up! :D Thanks for listening to my boring story.

Not boring at all. I'm sorry about your foot pain. Congratulations on the weight loss. I need to focus on myself and do the same. 26 pounds is amazing Cindy, good for you. It's such hard work. Getting started is the hardest part.

You're doing so well, keep it up!

I leave for my cruise next Thursday and then leave the cruise two days early in Charleston SC to go to guide school to be partnered with a new dog. My darling, darling Oz ...the light of my life will be adopted by my friends who live two miles away. I can't even think about next Thursday without Oz. He is an awesome little dude.

Colleen, I missed this part when you posted earlier. (I think I was laughing too much at Roz and Horton!) I'm glad Oz will be nearby for you to visit and you know he'll be at a good home. Good luck with training and your new SD.

MCDW: I am so sorry that you have to let Oz go live with your friend. However, it is good that she is only 2 miles away and hopefully you can visit him as much as possible. Maybe sleep overs? I know they have rules but really? After how many years he has been with you? :(

My little Dude and I have been a Team for 12 years. He will be 14 years old on 1 Jan. Sleepovers you say? A marvelous idea.

IMG00378-20130325-1902.jpg.587258e6da088b507461e36c763cb3b6.jpg

My little Dude and I have been a Team for 12 years. He will be 14 years old on 1 Jan. Sleepovers you say? A marvelous idea.

Long sleepovers I would suggest! ;):D. I want to come and live at your house with all these lovely snuggle blankets ..... And in my favourite colours too! :D

Roz, I laughed myself silly reading about the poor frightened man and your adventuresome dog.........too funny.:D

I leave for my cruise next Thursday and then leave the cruise two days early in Charleston SC to go to guide school to be partnered with a new dog. My darling, darling Oz ...the light of my life will be adopted by my friends who live two miles away. I can't even think about next Thursday without Oz. He is an awesome little dude.

Like Fairbourne, I missed this too. :( I'm so sorry to hear that Oz has to leave you. Personally I think it's a terrible to take a dog away from it's family it's been with for 12 years. I hope you will try to get another dog from a different organization, because you should never have to go through this again. They would have to pry Wex out of my cold dead hands! :eek:

Cindy: That is awesome that you have lost 26 lbs! :D I have been walking for about 2 months, now. I have lost about 10 lbs, need to lose another 30 or so. It is very slow coming off. I get discouraged but so far still get my butt out there and walk 5 days a week. It is only 1 mile a day, but hard to push it with my back. So far feet and legs are hanging in there.

Cindy: That is awesome that you have lost 26 lbs! :D I have been walking for about 2 months, now. I have lost about 10 lbs, need to lose another 30 or so. It is very slow coming off. I get discouraged but so far still get my butt out there and walk 5 days a week. It is only 1 mile a day, but hard to push it with my back. So far feet and legs are hanging in there.

10lbs is great!! It is so hard to lose it. I agree it's hard not to get discouraged. Just keep on plugging away. I am doing about 2 miles right now. I took Wex with me yesterday and he didn't like it too much. He is a lagger, doesn't keep up. He just saunters around like he's out for a leisurely walk. After we passed the opening to get off the track on the 3rd lap, he was not happy and kept poking my hand. I don't think I will take him again. John can go fast in his wheelchair and makes him trot, but they only do one lap sometimes two. He's such a wuss!!

Like Fairbourne, I missed this too. :( I'm so sorry to hear that Oz has to leave you. Personally I think it's a terrible to take a dog away from it's family it's been with for 12 years. I hope you will try to get another dog from a different organization, because you should never have to go through this again. They would have to pry Wex out of my cold dead hands! :eek:

Exactly the way I feel. Can you imagine CCI doing this? There's just got to be more to this. Maybe the Org. thought that Colleen couldn't handle more than one dog at a time. Certainly, they know that the dogs will work out the "alerting" issue on their own.

It's more work [twice to be exact] but to remove a dog from it's home and to upset [even to the point of depressing the handler] just doesn't make good sense.

Nancy, that's great! My doctor said 1/2 hour a day.....however far that is doesn't matter....just make sure I'm walking 1/2 hour a day!!!! If I miss a day I notice it right away. I feel so much better when I force myself to get up and walk.

Of course, with Horty that half hour can really add up! :p

Exactly the way I feel. Can you imagine CCI doing this? There's just got to be more to this. Maybe the Org. thought that Colleen couldn't handle more than one dog at a time. Certainly, they know that the dogs will work out the "alerting" issue on their own.

It's more work [twice to be exact] but to remove a dog from it's home and to upset [even to the point of depressing the handler] just doesn't make good sense.

From what Colleen said before, it just sounds rules for the sake of them - well in this case anyway. I seem to recall she even offered to do a case study in having the retired dog and a new dog to see how it all worked out, so they could maybe review this quite cruel retirement scheme. Sounded like a sensible idea to me, but obviously didn't get past the post. Shame.

You know we have a chocolate boy and a black girl - well we nearly had a yellow today! I met the dearest 8 week old boy at the vets, he was quite silvery white and just adorable - aren't they all! I got quite broody for all of a minute and then remembered the huge cost of kennel fees when we go cruising! ;):eek: he was so cute though!

Long sleepovers I would suggest! ;):D. I want to come and live at your house with all these lovely snuggle blankets ..... And in my favourite colours too! :D

Once the dog is placed with your neighbor it becomes their pet and property, right? So who's to say where the dog goes from there? If they come and check on the new dog, then a visit to the "owner" is in order.

10lbs is great!! It is so hard to lose it. I agree it's hard not to get discouraged. Just keep on plugging away. I am doing about 2 miles right now. I took Wex with me yesterday and he didn't like it too much. He is a lagger, doesn't keep up. He just saunters around like he's out for a leisurely walk. After we passed the opening to get off the track on the 3rd lap, he was not happy and kept poking my hand. I don't think I will take him again. John can go fast in his wheelchair and makes him trot, but they only do one lap sometimes two. He's such a wuss!!

Brenda is my "lagger", she can hardly keep-up just going 1/2 block now. And, she's so funny.....when she's had enough, well guess what, so have you!!!!! She will not go one paw further. She will stop, dig her paws into the earth and dare you to try and get her to move.

Yesterday, I had to literally drag her down the sidewalk.....I hope no one was looking because we were not a pretty picture! And, I can't pick her up, she's too big and she won't go into the wagon that PaPa bought for her.......She's my inigma! My puzzle! My beautiful 95 year old girl. She loves meal time, she sleeps and snores like a champ but she's done with walks......I can handle it!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

From what Colleen said before, it just sounds rules for the sake of them - well in this case anyway. I seem to recall she even offered to do a case study in having the retired dog and a new dog to see how it all worked out, so they could maybe review this quite cruel retirement scheme. Sounded like a sensible idea to me, but obviously didn't get past the post. Shame.

You know we have a chocolate boy and a black girl - well we nearly had a yellow today! I met the dearest 8 week old boy at the vets, he was quite silvery white and just adorable - aren't they all! I got quite broody for all of a minute and then remembered the huge cost of kennel fees when we go cruising! ;):eek: he was so cute though!

Oh! No! You know you saved yourself! My worries and frets for my Brenda and so different than Horty. Yet, I wouldn't change all of it for anything.

A new pup in your house, now? Girl, have you lost your senses....well, maybe for a moment!

Doesn't make sense to me Roz. To take a 13yr old dog away from the one person in this world it loves the most just doesn't seem right.

You would want 3?? and one would be a pup? You are crazy!!!! LOL

Brenda is my "lagger", she can hardly keep-up just going 1/2 block now. And, she's so funny.....when she's had enough, well guess what, so have you!!!!! She will not go one paw further. She will stop, dig her paws into the earth and dare you to try and get her to move.

Yesterday, I had to literally drag her down the sidewalk.....I hope no one was looking because we were not a pretty picture! And, I can't pick her up, she's too big and she won't go into the wagon that PaPa bought for her.......She's my inigma! My puzzle! My beautiful 95 year old girl. She loves meal time, she sleeps and snores like a champ but she's done with walks......I can handle it!!!!!

I can understand Brenny being a lagger, she's 95!! But for a fairly young dog of 6, thats just being a BUM!!!!

I can understand Brenny being a lagger, she's 95!! But for a fairly young dog of 6, thats just being a BUM!!!!

Aw! Wexy boy! You better shape-up.....your mom's going to be a thin, young thing soon and you're going to be left in the wings my boy!!!!!

Wexy, you've got to hang around Horton more......He keeps "Betty White" and me on our toes!

He's such a crack-up.......He comes leaping out of the bedroom last night [brenda's laying by the front door, ready to find PaPa, who she's sure is still hiding!] And, I'm sitting in my LaZBoy recliner whilest Mr. Horton is leaping and galavanting around the house like a dang jack rabbit. He's going from Brenda to me, from me to Brenda poking at us and swiveling in circles.......I swear, he's on meth!!!!! I'm laughing and Brenda's just staring at him.....he's so, so funny!!!! :D

Then, like someone pulled the plug, he drops onto the floor, onto his side, with a stuffed animal in his mouth and takes a much needed break from his exhausting work-out!!!! He's so darn entertaining! The boy earns his keep by performing for us women!