Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Fills my heart with happiness and sadness. I think I will make it half and half. I have a dear friend that is going through a rough patch with her little Romeo. He is 17(?) and getting ready to cross the Rainbow Bridge. I cry every time I think about loosing an amazing furfriend.

Colleen: I certaintly hope dear little Oz gets to stay with you. If not, at least you can visit him often with your friend. It won't be loosing him furever.

Fills my heart with happiness and sadness. I think I will make it half and half. I have a dear friend that is going through a rough patch with her little Romeo. He is 17(?) and getting ready to cross the Rainbow Bridge. I cry every time I think about loosing an amazing furfriend.

Colleen: I certaintly hope dear little Oz gets to stay with you. If not, at least you can visit him often with your friend. It won't be loosing him furever.

Awwww! So difficult. Sorry Nancy but 17 years.....Wow!

SHOUT OUT to all you lurkers.....I know you're there!

Hi Sheila.....loved talking to you onboard the Star. The best part of the ship was meeting and sitting and talking with great folks like you and hubby!

Hi Mike & Betty......I think it's Betty or Bonnie.....I loved it when Mike would sneek-up and grab some loving from Horton.....Anywhere we were. We actually left another dog [in hair] on the floor of the International Cafe because Mike couldn't resist laying on floor with Mr. H. :eek:

Hi Roz

Sorry to hear about the problems on the Star and I sure hope that Amber in Access or someone in Customer Relations at least has the courtesy to reply. I'm still waiting to hear their explanation for the almost total lack of closed captioning on the Star. 3 months since I emailed Amber and 2 months since I emailed Customer Relations and no response from either one. A simple apology when I was on the ship would have made all the difference - now I'm not even sure if I want to cruise with Princess again.

Guess I don't look disabled either but losing my hearing turned my world upside down.

Hi Roz

Sorry to hear about the problems on the Star and I sure hope that Amber in Access or someone in Customer Relations at least has the courtesy to reply. I'm still waiting to hear their explanation for the almost total lack of closed captioning on the Star. 3 months since I emailed Amber and 2 months since I emailed Customer Relations and no response from either one. A simple apology when I was on the ship would have made all the difference - now I'm not even sure if I want to cruise with Princess again.

Guess I don't look disabled either but losing my hearing turned my world upside down.

Honestly, it's disgusting how the hearing impaired are treated. It's all about that "normal" looking thing.

We all know that the expression goes; "you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar!" And, I'm sure that you used your very best "ask" when inquiring about the closed captioning as I did when inquiring about the potty box......I had to beg before I got a response.

I do believe that the Hearing Impaired, in our society, are considered second class citizens!!!!

nbcnews.com/health/fake-service-dogs-growing-problem-8C11366537

I know you will be interested in the article above. It is about people using fake service dogs. The head of CCI is quoted.

Colleen

Colleen, thanks so much for sharing this great article. I hope EVERYONE reads it.

I think we all can become our very own advocates, as well. When I spot an imposter, and I have. I call them "out!"

A lady in the market yesterday was carrying around a "yippy, yappy" little dog [who lunged at Horton] and she told the store manager that he was a Service Dog! I walked right over to her and told her that she was lieing and in no way was this dog a Service Dog. I told her and the manager that a trained SD would NEVER be barking every second and nipping at others. She left in a huff!!!!

I want a universal I.D. Card given by the training orgs. to be given to the handler and everyone who walks or wheels with a SD has to carry it to prove that their dog is legitimate. CCI gives every graduate a card with a permit number and a picture of the handler and the dog. Every org. should be made to do the same.

If your dog is self trained.....you should have to apply for an I.D. card through the DOJ.

I hope the day will come when everyone will have to carry an I.D. card just like a Drivers License!

Hi Roz,

Oz's guide school also provides an ID card with the ID number and picture of both of us. The ID is signed by the Ex Director and lists it's memberships with international orgs. like the International Federation of Guide Dogs.

But, you know something like this can be purchased on the web, along with jackets etc. That should be illegal!!!

We don't have as big of a problem in Canada because "self-trained" dogs do not qualify as service dogs. Our service dogs must be trained by a recognized certified school. Everyone who applies and is qualified receive the training and their dog for free, including transportation to/from school and housing/food for the length of the training. If you are on social assistance you will also receive money each month for food and vet care. There is also a foundation that if you have limited income, you can apply to cover large vet bills.

The ADA was an excellent Act., but it went too far in allowing for no one to question whether the Team is a legal Team. But, they probably didn't realize people would abuse the Act. I wouldn't have realized.

Hi Roz,

Oz's guide school also provides an ID card with the ID number and picture of both of us. The ID is signed by the Ex Director and lists it's memberships with international orgs. like the International Federation of Guide Dogs.

But, you know something like this can be purchased on the web, along with jackets etc. That should be illegal!!!

We don't have as big of a problem in Canada because "self-trained" dogs do not qualify as service dogs. Our service dogs must be trained by a recognized certified school. Everyone who applies and is qualified receive the training and their dog for free, including transportation to/from school and housing/food for the length of the training. If you are on social assistance you will also receive money each month for food and vet care. There is also a foundation that if you have limited income, you can apply to cover large vet bills.

The ADA was an excellent Act., but it went too far in allowing for no one to question whether the Team is a legal Team. But, they probably didn't realize people would abuse the Act. I wouldn't have realized.

There's always a way to get around any law, etc. And, dishonest and desperate people will do everything and anything to get their way!!! Sickens me!!!!!

What Canada does for folks who need help with their dogs is wonderful! And, the fact that "self-trained" dogs are not eligible to be licensed it even more wonderful!!!

A lady in the market yesterday was carrying around a "yippy, yappy" little dog [who lunged at Horton] and she told the store manager that he was a Service Dog! I walked right over to her and told her that she was lieing and in no way was this dog a Service Dog. I told her and the manager that a trained SD would NEVER be barking every second and nipping at others. She left in a huff!!!!

I want a universal I.D. Card given by the training orgs. to be given to the handler and everyone who walks or wheels with a SD has to carry it to prove that their dog is legitimate. CCI gives every graduate a card with a permit number and a picture of the handler and the dog. Every org. should be made to do the same.

If your dog is self trained.....you should have to apply for an I.D. card through the DOJ.

I hope the day will come when everyone will have to carry an I.D. card just like a Drivers License!

hi roz,

just curious ... did you know the lady in the supermarket?

s/f

vr/chandler.

over...

Heeellloooo, anyone in here? Alls I can hear is an echo. Hope everyone is good. Have a great day. :)

I heard ya!!! Heeeellloooo - cyberspace wave!!;):D LOL!

Everything is fine this side of the water but miserable, chilly and wet today. Dogs snoring in front of the fire, so all is well in their world!

hi roz,

just curious ... did you know the lady in the supermarket?

s/f

vr/chandler.

over...

Chandler, I'd be ashamed to say that this lady was anyone I knew!!!!!

I totally understand wanting to bring your dog with you, wherever you went but don't lie about a misbehaving dog being a "Service Dog!" At least, not when I'm around!!!! :mad:

Heeellloooo, anyone in here? Alls I can hear is an echo. Hope everyone is good. Have a great day. :)

You are such an early-bird!

I'm up at 7:30 but I'm busy with the dogs and myself; getting ready for Horton's and my work day and prepping Brenny for her "got to sleep away the day, day!" ;)

I just got Horton's and Brenda's city Dog License from L.A. I don't have to pay for Horton but Brenda is no longer a Service Dog and I have to pay for her! Done!

Well, it's 6 months since I lost my best friend and partner, Morey! :(

You know how they say that time heals all........It's true! I don't know about the "heal" part but I do know that I don't have to cry my way home from work anymore and that my cries don't last as long and that I'm starting to see the beauty in the sunsets again!!!!!

Thought you'd be interested in the Facebook page "Casper the Friendly Dog".

Casper's family are always seeking to educate the public about service dogs.

Casper is a wonderful dog. Thank you for sharing it. It's always nice to actually see pictures of our amazing Service Dogs. And, Casper's photologue is quite extensive!

You know how they say that time heals all........It's true! I don't know about the "heal" part but I do know that I don't have to cry my way home from work anymore and that my cries don't last as long and that I'm starting to see the beauty in the sunsets again!!!!!

Roz, I can't believe it's been 6 months and time does heal - well maybe it changes things and we are able to put our precious memories into a safe place in our hearts and when we take them out and remember, we can cherish them with a smile and not tears. You know what I mean! :)

Hugs to you, Miss B and Mr"You Big, X" :D

Roz, I can't believe it's been 6 months and time does heal - well maybe it changes things and we are able to put our precious memories into a safe place in our hearts and when we take them out and remember, we can cherish them with a smile and not tears. You know what I mean! :)

Hugs to you, Miss B and Mr"You Big, X" :D

Thank you much! Love those cyber hugs!!!!

We have all lost people who have meant the world to us. It is heart wrenching.....I have found that as time goes on, memories of the joyful fun moments with my loved ones come up more and more. The memory of the oh so meaningful moments become treasures. The moment when you knew you were in love, the moment you found out you were going to have a baby, the moment you closed on your first house, the moment your child takes their first step, all the joyful moments shared with a loved one.....they will be with you always and forever to cherish and help you through the challenging times.

Colleen

We have all lost people who have meant the world to us. It is heart wrenching.....I have found that as time goes on, memories of the joyful fun moments with my loved ones come up more and more. The memory of the oh so meaningful moments become treasures. The moment when you knew you were in love, the moment you found out you were going to have a baby, the moment you closed on your first house, the moment your child takes their first step, all the joyful moments shared with a loved one.....they will be with you always and forever to cherish and help you through the challenging times.

Colleen

well said, colleen.

hey roz,

god bless you, the brendog, h-pup, and yours!

s/f

vr/chandler

over...

Colleen

So true! Thank you!

So glad to hear Roz. Life doesn't ever get any easier, just different. We have to learn to live with the changes life gives us. :)