Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

You would want 3?? and one would be a pup? You are crazy!!!! LOL

We have 3 now. And if Ocho prefers recess to college, he's coming back to us. Then in June we will get another CCI pup to raise. Orson is 8 now, so when he retires we will get Kim a successor. So wait...I lost count. :confused:

Aw! Wexy boy! You better shape-up.....your mom's going to be a thin, young thing soon and you're going to be left in the wings my boy!!!!!

Wexy, you've got to hang around Horton more......He keeps "Betty White" and me on our toes!

He's such a crack-up.......He comes leaping out of the bedroom last night [brenda's laying by the front door, ready to find PaPa, who she's sure is still hiding!] And, I'm sitting in my LaZBoy recliner whilest Mr. Horton is leaping and galavanting around the house like a dang jack rabbit. He's going from Brenda to me, from me to Brenda poking at us and swiveling in circles.......I swear, he's on meth!!!!! I'm laughing and Brenda's just staring at him.....he's so, so funny!!!! :D

Then, like someone pulled the plug, he drops onto the floor, onto his side, with a stuffed animal in his mouth and takes a much needed break from his exhausting work-out!!!! He's so darn entertaining! The boy earns his keep by performing for us women!

HAHA Thin and young? Two things that will never be associated with my name!!!!

OMG that Horty sounds like alot of fun. Wexler can still be goofy but his energy level has gone way down. I think he says to himself, "running or bellies" which will I choose. And bellies win out every time. I sit on one end of the couch and his bed is on the floor at the other end. Now if I stretch my foot out toward his end, he immediately flips over and expects bellies with my foot! His obsession is getting worse. I wonder if Horty could even get him going at this point. :(

We have 3 now. And if Ocho prefers recess to college, he's coming back to us. Then in June we will get another CCI pup to raise. Orson is 8 now, so when he retires we will get Kim a successor. So wait...I lost count. :confused:

:eek::eek::eek: You really are crazy!!

DKD: I think I counted 5......Did you hear me man, 5.

That's the number after 4 which is way more than 2. I now know that I can not do a good job on more than 2. As it is with working full time and taking care of them myself......I'm on overload!!!! I don't know how you do it or how you're going to do it!

Youth, awwwww, it's a wonderful thing!

You would want 3?? and one would be a pup? You are crazy!!!! LOL

It would be mad .... But I only had my broody puppy thoughts for less than a minute! 2 great big goofy labs are just fine and dandy ... For now!! Mind you we did have a miniature pug visit with friends a couple of weeks ago, now he is very cute and he wouldn't take up much space .... He fitted perfectly in my hands, and the labs were amused with him being so tiny! No, no, no I keep telling myself, no more puppies.

DKD - I think you are a big softie and your dogs and your daughter are so lucky to have you. :). And so are we! ;):D

It would be mad .... But I only had my broody puppy thoughts for less than a minute! 2 great big goofy labs are just fine and dandy ... For now!! Mind you we did have a miniature pug visit with friends a couple of weeks ago, now he is very cute and he wouldn't take up much space .... He fitted perfectly in my hands, and the labs were amused with him being so tiny! No, no, no I keep telling myself, no more puppies.

DKD - I think you are a big softie and your dogs and your daughter are so lucky to have you. :). And so are we! ;):D

I agree. ;)

Once the dog is placed with your neighbor it becomes their pet and property, right? So who's to say where the dog goes from there? If they come and check on the new dog, then a visit to the "owner" is in order.

Ha, Ha, you are so Bad:D

From what Colleen said before, it just sounds rules for the sake of them - well in this case anyway. I seem to recall she even offered to do a case study in having the retired dog and a new dog to see how it all worked out, so they could maybe review this quite cruel retirement scheme. Sounded like a sensible idea to me, but obviously didn't get past the post. Shame.

You are dead on - apparently many years ago, the school allowed clients to keep the retired dog and have a working dog at the same time. Something didn't work. No idea if that was with one, two, three or more clients. Based upon "whatever" the rules were changed to not allow a retired dog to live in the house. And, apparently no one at the school was working at the school when the rules were changed, so no idea what went wrong.

I developed programs and policies for persons with disabilities nation-wide. The focus was on "managing change". So, I would have been in a good place to write a case study on the pros/cons and outcomes. It would most likely take more time and research for the school to evaluate each and every client as to suitability for having two dogs. And, that may be the reason for not changing back to the way it was. But, I am only guessing at this point. I will try to find out more fully as to the whys, when I am at the school. It may be a case of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Colleen

260_20796626692_4788_n.jpg.b913c9e14c35dc8ee755cd3a03357790.jpg

You are dead on - apparently many years ago, the school allowed clients to keep the retired dog and have a working dog at the same time. Something didn't work. No idea if that was with one, two, three or more clients. Based upon "whatever" the rules were changed to not allow a retired dog to live in the house. And, apparently no one at the school was working at the school when the rules were changed, so no idea what went wrong.

I developed programs and policies for persons with disabilities nation-wide. The focus was on "managing change". So, I would have been in a good place to write a case study on the pros/cons and outcomes. It would most likely take more time and research for the school to evaluate each and every client as to suitability for having two dogs. And, that may be the reason for not changing back to the way it was. But, I am only guessing at this point. I will try to find out more fully as to the whys, when I am at the school. It may be a case of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Colleen

Oh Mom - please let me get at them stupid ducks! LOL! ;):D

Colleen, no-one would be better placed than you for doing such a study. I think we live in such a world these days, where if the slightest thing goes wrong people are so scared to address it they just ban it - the "sue me culture" I fear has a lot to do with this.

This might be a good time to mention CCI [the largest Service Dog training program in the world.] If they can see the benefit as well as the drawbacks [hopefully the former weighing out the latter] and allow someone to have a retired dog along with a working dog in the same household, maybe your org. and you should look into it.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

This might be a good time to mention CCI [the largest Service Dog training program in the world.] If they can see the benefit as well as the drawbacks [hopefully the former weighing out the latter] and allow someone to have a retired dog along with a working dog in the same household, maybe your org. and you should look into it.

I did my research and found England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Australia and the USA all allow retired dogs to live with current dogs....also sent all the contact info.........but, as you know, change takes time. And, right now time is not our friend. Still working on it my friend. Colleen and the Adorable Oz

1049596091_ozzoning.jpg.8bc79913b4d05972d713d53cef9ebc51.jpg

I did my research and found England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Australia and the USA all allow retired dogs to live with current dogs....also sent all the contact info.........but, as you know, change takes time. And, right now time is not our friend. Still working on it my friend. Colleen and the Adorable Oz

Change and time can take forever and, you are so right, it can be our enemy.

I look into my Brenda's eyes and pray that her time will be very slow in coming.......Eventhough, she barks at me and insists that she have her way......She's my darling and my life saver in an English Lab's body!! ;)

Change and time can take forever and, you are so right, it can be our enemy.

I look into my Brenda's eyes and pray that her time will be very slow in coming.......Eventhough, she barks at me and insists that she have her way......She's my darling and my life saver in an English Lab's body!! ;)

But, of course, she is!!! And, it is as it should be......for always and forever.

Bon voyage from us too! :D

I know you will have mixed emotions with all thats going on and not having your wee Dude with you but I hope the sea breezes will bring you some comfort .... I find being at sea just so, well it's hard to describe, but there's just something about staring out to sea from a quiet spot on the ship, that I just love.

We will be here when you get back and wanting to know, as we always do, how you are and how you are getting on. :):)

Safe travels!

Bon voyage from us too! :D

I know you will have mixed emotions with all thats going on and not having your wee Dude with you but I hope the sea breezes will bring you some comfort .... I find being at sea just so, well it's hard to describe, but there's just something about staring out to sea from a quiet spot on the ship, that I just love.

We will be here when you get back and wanting to know, as we always do, how you are and how you are getting on. :):)

Safe travels!

I am sitting in my TV room with Oz snuggled up with me and having a really long lovefest. I am telling him all the stuff I love about him. Love the little Dude so much, .....I leave on the train for Quebec City and the cruise in a few minutes with a very aching heart.

Thank you everyone for your support. It means the world to me.

As always, Colleen and her little Dude Oz

199168_10150126712871693_192342_n.jpg.d8c63d1027ba2b7d28a2f574fe1b9582.jpg

I am sitting in my TV room with Oz snuggled up with me and having a really long lovefest. I am telling him all the stuff I love about him. Love the little Dude so much, .....I leave on the train for Quebec City and the cruise in a few minutes with a very aching heart.

Thank you everyone for your support. It means the world to me.

As always, Colleen and her little Dude Oz

Dear Colleen and Oz,

Brenda, Horton and I wish you the very best in your days ahead. Be brave and know that your hearts are full of love for each other.

Your next journeys will be different, not sad, just different. You'll both be having new experiences with new people and fur partners.

Colleen, I hope your cruise and "Team Training" with your new buddy are both exciting and rewarding. I know your heart is open and welcoming to new a fur partner. I hope the bond between the two of you becomes more and more solid as you work together.

Oz, we love you "little dude" be brave, have fun with your new people, I hope they're filled with the gentle, kind love; the very same that you shared with Colleen.

Much Love & Licks,

Roz, Brenny & Horty

Yes, Roz, very busy and frustrated. I am sorry I didn't get to tell Colleen to have a nice cruise. As for everything else, its gone to the dark side in a hand basket! Travis has had 2 pair of glasses broke at school in the last 2 weeks. The lastest pair he had for 3 days. Along with other issues. We just got a bill from a doctors office for $700 that was supposed to be pre-authorized but the ding bat in the office keeps using the wrong billing lingo. So stale mate. Then she even billed the wrong insurance company. I got a letter from them telling me he wasn't a member of their company. I knew that! But the girl in the office won't talk to me, she only wants to talk to hubby........good luck with that one. Two uninformed people do not make a good outcome! Just been a hard couple of weeks. I have been through this crap with insurance so many times! I just discovered a $3500 bill on my credit report that was taken care of in 2009 and removed and now it is back on there. Had no business being on there the first time. I HATE them all. They could care less about messing up peoples credit, it doesn't matter to them at all. So, aren't you glad you asked? I plan on having a good week-end in spite of it all! :p

Yes, Roz, very busy and frustrated. So, aren't you glad you asked? I plan on having a good week-end in spite of it all! :p

Yikes! Nancy, sorry about all the complications. I hope the weekend brings you some relaxation and even some fun.

Talk about challenges.....you're on overload! Hang in there. Love you. :)

I met the sweetest girl dog yesterday. We were at the supermarket and a local charity were fund raising doing grocery packing. I don't know about you but I like to do my own packing and always give them a donation not to pack! ;):). The chap at our till said he had earned more donations not packing for folk.

Anyway, they had a table and this darling girl, who was a guide dog for her partially sighted lady, was helping out with pats, and waggy tails. She was a very small black Labrador but she did have a sweet face (small compared to our two gamlumphs). She was very interested in my DH's trouser pockets and her lady said she really was a walking stomach, even when she was "working", she said her nose was always working overtime in the direction of any tidbits that might come her way! Now where have I heard that before???? LOL! But like all of you with their four legged helpers, she obviously adored her sweet girl.

I met the sweetest girl dog yesterday. We were at the supermarket and a local charity were fund raising doing grocery packing. I don't know about you but I like to do my own packing and always give them a donation not to pack! ;):). The chap at our till said he had earned more donations not packing for folk.

Anyway, they had a table and this darling girl, who was a guide dog for her partially sighted lady, was helping out with pats, and waggy tails. She was a very small black Labrador but she did have a sweet face (small compared to our two gamlumphs). She was very interested in my DH's trouser pockets and her lady said she really was a walking stomach, even when she was "working", she said her nose was always working overtime in the direction of any tidbits that might come her way! Now where have I heard that before???? LOL! But like all of you with their four legged helpers, she obviously adored her sweet girl.

Prior to my getting Brenda in 2002 and her changing everything about my life, I had no idea that there were dogs who were driven strictly by food, making them the most desireable to use as Service Dogs and the easiest to train.

Dog behavior is so fascinating. The more I learn about these wonderful beings the more in love I am with them.