Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I appreciate you all trying to help me on my first cruise with a dog. Should I leave my dog behind while in the main dining room on Carnival? Celebrity's dining rooms are very crowded. There would really be no room for her.

Take the dog with you. I thought I read on here that the lines prohibited leaving your partner dog alone in the stateroom at any time? Their reasoning is that if you leave the dog in the room, you must not really need it, so why did they allow the dog on the ship?

Yes, the dining rooms are crowded, but they can still move you to a table where you and your SD will be comfortable.

Take the dog with you. I thought I read on here that the lines prohibited leaving your partner dog alone in the stateroom at any time? Their reasoning is that if you leave the dog in the room, you must not really need it, so why did they allow the dog on the ship?

Yes, the dining rooms are crowded, but they can still move you to a table where you and your SD will be comfortable.

Barb, I totally agree with you. Why do you have a Service Dog? Certainly not to leave him/her in your cabin! And, as was stated, some lines will NOT allow you to leave your dog alone in the cabin. Unless you have a crate for your dog it's really not a very good idea anyway!

The Stewards appear like magic, while you're out of your cabin, to refresh and clean it. It's best that both you and your dog are out at this time.

The crowds are everywhere onboard a ship. You will learn how to maneuver your way around them and the myriad of lines you will be in to best accommodate both you and your dog.

The elevators can be the worst. Some people don't care if you have a dog, a wheel chair or a walker; they want into the elevator and they want in FIRST!

If the elevator is going down and you want to go up, get in anyway and step to the rear, take the ride......it's better to be in and safe than to be trampled on in the process. When leaving, they will have to part the way as you and your dog exit.

Be prepared to stop on your way to wherever you're going for the many, many questions that will be asked. Remember, you're an ambassador for the rest of us who walk or wheel with a SD. Answer their good questions and do allow for some "patting" time. They had to pay a hefty price to have their pet boarded and, they're missing their furbabies.

Allowing for brief moments of patting and interacting with your dog fulfills the public's need for the fur and also allows them the priviledge to get up close and personal with this highly trained, amazing being!

I am taking my service dog this week for the first time. I have wanted to in the past, but flying overseas on so many flights or last minute cruises has made it impossible on Celebrity. You must give them 30 days notice. Most of the time, I'm booked within the 30 days.

So this time , I am on the Carnival Dream in 2 weeks. Any suggestions? We have a grand suite and a huge deck. Will they put the potty box on the deck? Can I bring a piece of sod?:DIf we have to get up in the middle of the night, and walk a long distance, she may just go in the hallway, defeating the purpose. what should I do?

VERY IMPORTANT ! Have you competed and processed all documentation for each country/port otherwise your dog will not be permitted to leave the ship ? This is extremely important as it's your responsibility to research this matter and make certain all the paperwork was done prior to boarding the ship.

Following was copied directly from Carnival's website.

Service Dogs

Carnival Cruise Lines only permits service/working dogs onboard; a working/ service dog is legally defined and is trained to meet the disability related need. We do not allow guests to sail with therapy/companion dog, service dogs in training, or pets.

Service dogs must have current vaccinations; these vaccinations are in addition to what governing port officials require. Please know that many of the ports you may visit will only accept annual rabies vaccinations. The three-year rabies vaccination is not recognized in many countries
. It is the guest’s responsibility to contact the Department of Agriculture or your Service Dogs Veterinarian to obtain information on the requirements at each port. The failure to have the required vaccinations or documentation may result in your service animal not be able to disembark or quarantine

Edited by xxoocruiser

VERY IMPORTANT ! Have you competed and processed all documentation for each country/port otherwise your dog will not be permitted to leave the ship ? This is extremely important as it's your responsibility to research this matter and make certain all the paperwork was done prior to boarding the ship.

Following was copied directly from Carnival's website.

Service Dogs

Carnival Cruise Lines only permits service/working dogs onboard; a working/ service dog is legally defined and is trained to meet the disability related need. We do not allow guests to sail with therapy/companion dog, service dogs in training, or pets.

Service dogs must have current vaccinations; these vaccinations are in addition to what governing port officials require. Please know that many of the ports you may visit will only accept annual rabies vaccinations. The three-year rabies vaccination is not recognized in many countries
. It is the guest’s responsibility to contact the Department of Agriculture or your Service Dogs Veterinarian to obtain information on the requirements at each port. The failure to have the required vaccinations or documentation may result in your service animal not be able to disembark or quarantine

I know I should NEVER assume this. But, I'm sure that "tikigal" knew that she would have to have all current immunizations in order to travel with her SD.

I'm not sure if I aked this yet......and, it may NOT be cruise related but have any of you dealt with "cherry" eye in your dog before? Brenda's left eye seems to have it. I called the Vet and he suggested warm compresses and light massage. What's your experience with it?

Which reminds me to mention to all new bloggers. This thread has been going on for a very long time. Most of us have Service Dogs and share our experiences, which may not always include cruising. Some folks have come onboard [excuse the pun] and have pet dogs. They've joined us because they like what we have to say and we share with each other. We help each other, we support each other.

We've had many successess, some losses, many ups and downs along the way. We're here for each other and some of us have even been lucky enough to cruise together. We're not perfect but we care about each other.

We welcome YOU to come along with us.

I know I should NEVER assume this. But, I'm sure that "tikigal" knew that she would have to have all current immunizations in order to travel with her SD.

Wouldn't make any assumption seeing since "tikigal" already stated that this is the first time cruising with the dog. Besides it's not just a matter of having all the current immunizations it's making certain the dog meets all the requirements of each country/port being visited and completing any paperwork necessary for those countries in advance.

Was on a cruise with a friend that had a service dog that booked only a few weeks before the cruise date and time did not permit all the documentation necessary for the countries being visited to be completed and tuned into the cruise line. Therefore the dog had to remain on board the ship. This was all coded into their Sea Pass card to alert ships security if she and her husband attempted to take the dog off the ship. Needless to say it presented a problem.

Having a Service Dog in your life changes the way you do many things in your life. It changes where I sit when I go to the theatre and when I dine out. Having my dog changes how many stops I may make on a long road trip and where those stops are the safest for him. It changes where I take my walks and hikes and which friend or family member's home is dog friendly and welcoming.

If I were offered a cruise and not enough time was given to make sure my dog wouldn't be stressed out by leaving him behind, while I ventured out onshore, or he would be given an unnecessary immunization just so I could cruise, I wouldn't go!

I'm never separated from my dog. If he can't go....I don't go!!!!

My dog is an integral part of my well being and my life. He counts on me and my good decisions for him and I depend on him.

Our experience with Carnival to the Bahamas with the dog WAS NOT GOOD! If you take any excursions with the dog, make sure all departments know you are taking the dog with you. We were denied boarding on the bus to Atlantis with the dog because "we" did not tell the shore excursion desk that we were taking the dog with us and that "we" did not make special transportation arrangements (although special services, guest services, and housekeeping all knew). We are currently trying to get a satisfactory answer from Carnival about this situation And by satisfactory answer, all we want is an apology.

Hope your trip is better than ours was. We will never cruise on Carnival again despite their very tempting deals I keep receiving via email.

Our experience with Carnival to the Bahamas with the dog WAS NOT GOOD! If you take any excursions with the dog, make sure all departments know you are taking the dog with you. We were denied boarding on the bus to Atlantis with the dog because "we" did not tell the shore excursion desk that we were taking the dog with us and that "we" did not make special transportation arrangements (although special services, guest services, and housekeeping all knew). We are currently trying to get a satisfactory answer from Carnival about this situation And by satisfactory answer, all we want is an apology.

Hope your trip is better than ours was. We will never cruise on Carnival again despite their very tempting deals I keep receiving via email.

Carnival is truly the loser on this one!

What is cherry eye?

It literally looks like a cherry, usually in the corner of the eye and is located in the third eyelid. The vet said that if it doesn't go away with compresses and light massage than it may require surgery where they have to repair the weakened muscle. Never going to happen to Brenda.

It causes a bit more tearing in the eye and can be irritating because the eye is exposed to more and can get dry from the inibility to blink and fully close the eyelid. There's oinment, eye drops and compresses. Sometimes it goes completely away, only to reappear the next time I look at her. Brenda doesn't seem to be bothered by it.....it just looks awful!!!! What next, Lord!!!!!!!

I'm not sure if I aked this yet......and, it may NOT be cruise related but have any of you dealt with "cherry" eye in your dog before? Brenda's left eye seems to have it. I called the Vet and he suggested warm compresses and light massage. What's your experience with it?

Which reminds me to mention to all new bloggers. This thread has been going on for a very long time. Most of us have Service Dogs and share our experiences, which may not always include cruising. Some folks have come onboard [excuse the pun] and have pet dogs. They've joined us because they like what we have to say and we share with each other. We help each other, we support each other.

We've had many successess, some losses, many ups and downs along the way. We're here for each other and some of us have even been lucky enough to cruise together. We're not perfect but we care about each other.

We welcome YOU to come along with us.

Hi Roz - how's Brenda's eye? The dogs always amaze me how they just seem to shrug off stuff that we worry ourselves about - like Brenda and her eye!

I would just like to add that although I do not have a service/assistance dog, I enjoy being part of this group, and if I can ever be of help to any of you with regards to information or photos for ports/places that we visit on our cruises, that may help with your visit, I would be more than happy to share that with you or try and get information for you while we are there. And if you need any information about Scotland, then I'm your girl! :D.

It literally looks like a cherry, usually in the corner of the eye and is located in the third eyelid. The vet said that if it doesn't go away with compresses and light massage than it may require surgery where they have to repair the weakened muscle. Never going to happen to Brenda.

It causes a bit more tearing in the eye and can be irritating because the eye is exposed to more and can get dry from the inibility to blink and fully close the eyelid. There's oinment, eye drops and compresses. Sometimes it goes completely away, only to reappear the next time I look at her. Brenda doesn't seem to be bothered by it.....it just looks awful!!!! What next, Lord!!!!!!!

Ewwwww sounds lovely. When they get older they have all kinds of wierd things happening and growing.

Hi Roz - how's Brenda's eye? The dogs always amaze me how they just seem to shrug off stuff that we worry ourselves about - like Brenda and her eye!

I would just like to add that although I do not have a service/assistance dog, I enjoy being part of this group, and if I can ever be of help to any of you with regards to information or photos for ports/places that we visit on our cruises, that may help with your visit, I would be more than happy to share that with you or try and get information for you while we are there. And if you need any information about Scotland, then I'm your girl! :D.

We enjoy having you!! :D

And, we love having you onboard! Your insights, shared experiences and thoughtful comments are more than welcoming to us all!

I've never been to Scotland but hope that one day we can meet. :)

Just met with the infectious disease doctor on our transplant team. Gave us the all clear to cruise and fly. Certainly precautions are needed....but woo hoo...cruising is back on the life plan.

Yay! Congratulations, it's been a long road for you and DH....start planning and don't leave us out!!!! We want to know everything!

Just met with the infectious disease doctor on our transplant team. Gave us the all clear to cruise and fly. Certainly precautions are needed....but woo hoo...cruising is back on the life plan.

Awesome Sunshine!!!! We are cruising Feb 9th, keep that in mind! ;)

John is home today. The elevator that they are still putting in (should have been done before school started) is not working. They have been hooking up wires for the past 2 weeks to get him up to the 2nd floor. Yesterday they blew something and had to carry John out of the building. Now they had to order a part, so he can't go in today.

Wex has a double ear infection, which is no surprise :mad: I just checked them this week and they were clean. How can they get infected that fast? Now they are beat red and stink!! Of course I just used up the last of the ear med last night.

Dog class this weekend. The pet store/groomer where we have our classes did a nail clipping event for Apr/May/June and raised almost 10,000 for CCI!! Wexler is going to be holding the check for a photo op when its presented this Saturday. Maybe it will be in the CCI newsletter.