Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Just what you need first thing in the morning! :eek: well, I found some under the bed, you know when you can smell it, but just can't work out where the smell is coming from .... And after checking all the bottoms, (long haired cats! I know too much information!), there it was, proud in a pile, and all around looking totally innocent! At least the dogs, try and clean up! Well there's no point in good food going to waste, now is there? In the mind of a Labrador anyway! Yuck!

I do hope you're not reading this over your morning coffee!

Trudy - you told us you were going for a scan, I do hope it went well for you. :) hugs to you:)

S T O P!!!! It figures I'd be reading somthing like this on the day that I decide to have cottage cheese for breakfast!!!!! :(

All of this is bringing back a memory; when I was 18 years old and Morey and I were dating, I got a job at Sears Roebuck in the credit department. My code for approving high-end sales was Q [as in Queen] 97. See, I was meant for a higher calling very early on. :p

Just don't become the Queen Of Hearts. I like my head right where it is. :eek:

What a wonderful community this thread is! I have some questions about Europe and a Guide Dog and I don't really want to go through 10,000 posts!

My husband and I are booked on a transatlantic next November, starting in Rome and ending in Ft Lauderdale. He has a terrific Guide Dog, named Avanti. We are debating whether of not to take Avanti with us. She has cruised before to the Pacific Coast and to Alaska, and she a good little sailor. Our concern is what kind of issues we will run into with taking her. Besides Italy, we are stopping in France, Spain, and the Canary Islands. Do any of you have experience doing excursions with a service dog? Specifically, can you go into churches with a service dog, and even more specifically the Vatican? Have you done organized tours or done touring on your own? In trying to do some research, it looks as though the access laws are similar to ours, but I'm not sure of the exact limits. Are hotels and restaurants required to allow dogs? What about cabs? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What a wonderful community this thread is! I have some questions about Europe and a Guide Dog and I don't really want to go through 10,000 posts!

My husband and I are booked on a transatlantic next November, starting in Rome and ending in Ft Lauderdale. He has a terrific Guide Dog, named Avanti. We are debating whether of not to take Avanti with us. She has cruised before to the Pacific Coast and to Alaska, and she a good little sailor. Our concern is what kind of issues we will run into with taking her. Besides Italy, we are stopping in France, Spain, and the Canary Islands. Do any of you have experience doing excursions with a service dog? Specifically, can you go into churches with a service dog, and even more specifically the Vatican? Have you done organized tours or done touring on your own? In trying to do some research, it looks as though the access laws are similar to ours, but I'm not sure of the exact limits. Are hotels and restaurants required to allow dogs? What about cabs? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We're a great group, aren't we! You know how sometimes people just "click", that's us!

Welcome! First, you'll need a few things to get your dog to Europe. Are you or your DH a member of IAADP [independant Assoc. of Assistant Dog Partners], they're wonderful for getting all the info. you need. Or, the DOJ Website can tell you more. You'll need to find a USDA Accredited Vet and he/she will endorse the Certification for Avanti's travels. You'll need a microchip, rabies Vaccination, blood draw for testing at an approved Lab. An EU Certificate, Tick and Echinococcus tapeworm treatments done 24-48 hours prior to check in. [i know this is for the UK, I'm not sure if it applies to all of Europe.]

Better yet, email: Liz Shickle Veterinary Officer, Animal Health-Elizabeth.Shickle@animalhealth.gsi.gov.uk - Although she has all the information for the UK, she'll be able to help you with the paperwork for other European countries. Or, ask your Vet for the info.

Remember, church's are "private" institutions, although the public goes into them, they are all run privately, they don't have to allow your dog into them. In France your dog is as welcome as your children [maybe even more so.] In Italy, it can be hit and miss as it was in Switzerland. They say that your dog is welcome but if the shop or restaurant is small and you have a big dog, as I do, they can have a difficult time manuevering through the small areas.

The tour companies will allow your dog, but some islands will require other hoops and whistles for Avanti. Inquiry about the Canary Islands, they may not allow her in.

Planned tours may be your best bet, since you'll be under their control and the various places you visit may be more lenient because you're with a group.

Taxi's are always a hit or miss. It depends on the driver. Some don't want a dog in their cab no matter what. And, other's will see some extra cash and go for it.

The worst that can happen is Avanti will stay onboard the ship with DH. And, you can go out and about on your own.

I hope this helps.

I am quite sure Her Majesty Roz will be along very soon to welcome you but may I, The Grand Duchess Fairbourne, one of her ladies in waiting, welcome you to our "court"! :D;)

Avanti - What a lovely name for a girl dog ... Now we all love photos of dogs on here :)

Here is a link I found for the Vatican http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Servizi.html

Welcome Clopaw! I see you already have all the information you need. Our Majesty knows everything so you are in good hands.

Did you see the part about disabled can get in for free if they present "documents testifying disability over 74%" Wow :eek:

How did they come up with that percentage? Leave it to the masses to come up with a law for the few who have to follow it!

What the heck did I say? :rolleyes:

No, it's the lady who's waiting to wait on the Queen. Or, the lady who's waiting to be the lady in waiting! You know, they're waiting for something. :confused:

The Queen's "ladies in waiting" are there to help her - here's a link.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHousehold/RoyalHouseholddepartments/ThePrivateSecretarysOffice/LadiesinWaitingandEquerries.aspx

Anyway, your Maj, we are off this weekend on our next adventure! We are cruising across "the pond" and then having a few days in sunny Florida before heading home again. Everything's ready to go, just the bit I don't like of putting the four legged pals to their hotels. But in view of DKD's recent trip with Ocho, I am putting it all in perspective and will try not to be a woosie girl when I drop them off! Be good while I'm gone and don't get up to too much mischief!!!

Big hugs to you all :-)

Edited by fairbourne