Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Here She Is!! Misty and I got home last night, tired from all the work at Guide School. If my attachments worked, there will be one of Misty as a 3 week old and another of her sleeping last week.

I haven't been able to get a good one of her with her eyes open. She is so fast, the pictures is always blurred.

Her foster parents and sponsors came to her graduation and it was really nice to meet them and be able to thank them for loving her.

Will write more once I have a good night's sleep........Colleen

Oh dear, the attachments are not showing at all.......will try posting one at a time

No Misty??? :confused::confused::confused: Guess youre having trouble posting the pics. Hopefully we will see her soon! :D

Hello Everyone! Hope you are all snug and warm as all these winter storm systems make their way across the country. I just wanted to pop in and share this link with you because my daughter has mitochondrial disease and this story hits really close to home. We have had a large number of physicians who told us that she was making up her symptoms. This story is the extreme reaction by a hospital and it's physicians. There is also a video interview included at the bottom of the article.

Thanks!

Beckie

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/25/hospital-holding-teen-against-parents-will-accused-of-having-a-history/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=story&utm_campaign=ShareButtons

Sorry Beckie but our computer let me start reading the article and then started opening up extra windows. Didn't know if there was a virus and had to close it out.

So quiet here. wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels to all. We are in Homosassa for a couple of weeks and spending the day with my son and daughter in law.

Hope everyone is well and happy. I am feeling better. I have to go back and read some of the post. Bye for now.

Happy Holidays to you too Trudy!!! I'm so glad that you are feeling better. Please stay well!!!

Wex sends his love!!

I just made our final payment. It's getting close!!

Edited by rangeley

Sorry Beckie but our computer let me start reading the article and then started opening up extra windows. Didn't know if there was a virus and had to close it out.

So sorry that happened to you when you tried to read the story! I have opened it here at work as well as home computers, but no problems so far. Thanks for trying to look at it!

Beckie

Just wanted to stop by and wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. Drive safe if your traveling. We are spending a nice quiet Thanksgiving home this year. Just my wife, my daughter and myself.

More leftovers for me!! Then on Friday, we will be at Barnes & Noble gift wrapping for donations for CCI from 9 to 9. And Saturday from 4 to 9. Beats shopping! :D Hopefully there will be loads of generous people stopping by. We may even convince some folks to become puppy raisers. :)

Here is Ocho's first progress report in advanced training. So far so good. Now the real work begins.

Ocho is settling in well in the kennel. We have spent the last two weeks getting to know each other, working on basic commands, and learning to target for the push command. Upon turn-in he was a little reserved and not very interactive with me. However, after spending some extra time cuddling with him he has started to seek my attention. When playing in the play yard he will bite at other dog's legs, but he is very good at coming when his name is called. He is accepting of the grooming process, but is not relaxed when being cradled. Thank you for all the time you put into raising Ocho!

Here is Ocho's first progress report in advanced training. So far so good. Now the real work begins.

Ocho is settling in well in the kennel. We have spent the last two weeks getting to know each other, working on basic commands, and learning to target for the push command. Upon turn-in he was a little reserved and not very interactive with me. However, after spending some extra time cuddling with him he has started to seek my attention. When playing in the play yard he will bite at other dog's legs, but he is very good at coming when his name is called. He is accepting of the grooming process, but is not relaxed when being cradled. Thank you for all the time you put into raising Ocho!

Thanks for sharing! :)

I see that my message from the other day finally posted---it didn't show on my computer. And the other three that I sent----I don't see them.

Happy Hanukkah too.

Glad to hear that Ocho had a good report. I am sure you are excited about the new pup. Wish I could do what you are doing but I could not give the dog back.:mad:

We booked a cruise in Feb., was wishing it was the same ship as you Cindy but we are going with Ed's sister and some of their friends, so I didn't have the choice to pick what I wanted. :( Boo Hoo

Roz hope you had a fun and safe trip. The weather sure was bad for travel.

Well, take care everyone and talk to you soon.

I am scheduled to go on Carnival on this Sunday. I thought i would have to cancel because of all of the rigamarole i have been getting about my very dear service dog, Raza.

CCL said that i have to meet the requirements of each country we visit even if we stay on the ship. They said that we could be subject to a fine if the country learned that we had a dog without all of their proper paperwork onboard a ship in their waters.

I am comfortable to stay on board as i have already seen what they have to offer, but they said we could still be subject to being fined! Is this true? :confused:

VERY IMPORTANT ! Have you competed and processed all documentation for each country/port otherwise your dog will not be permitted to leave the ship ? This is extremely important as it's your responsibility to research this matter and make certain all the paperwork was done prior to boarding the ship.

Following was copied directly from Carnival's website.

Service Dogs

Carnival Cruise Lines only permits service/working dogs onboard; a working/ service dog is legally defined and is trained to meet the disability related need. We do not allow guests to sail with therapy/companion dog, service dogs in training, or pets.

Service dogs must have current vaccinations; these vaccinations are in addition to what governing port officials require. Please know that many of the ports you may visit will only accept annual rabies vaccinations. The three-year rabies vaccination is not recognized in many countries
. It is the guest’s responsibility to contact the Department of Agriculture or your Service Dogs Veterinarian to obtain information on the requirements at each port. The failure to have the required vaccinations or documentation may result in your service animal not be able to disembark or quarantine

Charolotte1---I copied this from a back post---it might help. And I am going to drop cindy a note and hopefully she will see it and be able to help.

I am scheduled to go on Carnival on this Sunday. I thought i would have to cancel because of all of the rigamarole i have been getting about my very dear service dog, Raza.

CCL said that i have to meet the requirements of each country we visit even if we stay on the ship. They said that we could be subject to a fine if the country learned that we had a dog without all of their proper paperwork onboard a ship in their waters.

I am comfortable to stay on board as i have already seen what they have to offer, but they said we could still be subject to being fined! Is this true? :confused:

Charolotte, I think we had another person come in here with the same problem. I'm not sure if it was Carnival or not. I really wish I could help but our cruiseline (Holland America) does not require this, so I would say you cannot get in trouble. I can't understand how you can be fined if you do not get off the ship. Some of the islands are requiring to many unnecessary tests be done on the dog so we just stay on the ship. Some are also trying to charge a fee. I cannot even think of who you would call to find out any information. I fell so helpless. Sorry :(

Cindy

Thank you both for your information and your kindness. I got my reply from Jamaica saying that the only thing that will happen is that Raza will not be able to disembark on the island. When you see the little white bichon with the old lady, stop and say hello.:p

There was a nice story on CBS tonight about service dogs. They had a man that had a service dog for a spinal problem. He was talking about how another man passed a dog off as a service dog. They also had the President of Cainine Companions on and she talked about how easy it was to pass off regular dogs as service dogs. Very nice story. Thought of all of you that have SERVICE animals to help you in your daily lives. Also how you have educated us that don't have service animals how to possibly detect a fake service animal. Thanks for all you do to help us. Susan a lurker.

Welcome, Susan. Thanks for sharing with us. It's a miracle what these dogs can do for us!

Hi Honey's, I'm home! Thank you Dobiemom for the warm welcome! What a wonderful week with my children.

I'm so glad to hear that all are well. Ocho, you're off to a good start. Relax, big boy and learn to cuddle more! We're all expecting big things from you.

Trudy, you're sounding strong, I'm glad.

Beckie, I didn't get a chance to read the article, as soon as I'm more settled I will.

Nancy, it's good to hear from you.

Charlotte, don't let anyone intimidate you. They will NOT fine you or quarantine your dog if you don't have all that is required by a particular port, if you elect to stay onboard the ship. You have met ALL the requirements that the cruise ship has asked for to board them so you're set. I'm glad that Carnival is making "noise" to actually discourage the "fake's" out there from boarding. Make sure that you've met all the requirements, completed all the paperwork and you and your dog partner are set to board.

When I'm more settled, I'll share some of my experiences: 30 degree weather [ouch!] Someone trying to kidnap Horton, in Medford, Oregon [what a nightmare!] A car battery that kept shutting-down in the cold climate [scary!] Brenda's inability to maneuver hard wood floors [she looked like a flattened seal!] And, Brenda trying to jump off her ramp [gave me a heart attack!] Will write more later!

Welcome Back Roz and can hardly wait to hear all your details.

The picture is little Misty. We graduated last week from the hearing ear dog guide school. She is a sweetheart, but we have a problem....she is a morning girl and I am not. She gives me lots of kisses about 7am and wakes me up.

I will need to teach her to hold her happiness until an hour later.

My darling Oz is doing so well in his new circumstances....kicking back and enjoying his retirement.

Colleen

get-attachment.jpg.d15a8d58fdbd395ea2748227418c90a3.jpg

Misty is a cutie! She looks a little mischievious, though. Let me know how to train them not to wake you up. LOL. Actually it is the cat that wakes me up and then the dog decides to join in. That's usually around 5:30 am. :eek: My alarm is set for 5:45 am anyway, but that last 15 minutes seems like a life time when I don't get it.