Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi Honies, I'm home, again!

It's over, it's done, it's complete and........drum roll please.......Horty got a 3 year Certification! For those who don't know, that's the BEST you can get! Horton rocked it! He was amazing. And, he truly stood-out to the trainers. He was the biggest, most handsome dog there, that day! Everyone just loved his attitude and his amazing looks! Not much bragging here!

He stayed by my side, he picked-up stuff off the floor on the first command, he sat, laid down, stayed and heeled on command. He alerted when he was asked to, he opened a door, he pushed a drawer closed, he barked on my command, he had kibble thrown at him and all he did was look at the trainer and cock his head. They NEVER asked me to drop his leash [thank God!] And, thank goodness no one took their shoes off [or he would have stolen them immediately!]

They took him to the play yard and watched him interact with other dogs and just play in general. He's so funny to watch.....there's a mural of dogs on the wall, at CCI, and Horton barked and hackled at it for at least 3 minutes......such a brave boy!!!!!

I told them the story of Medford, Oregon and they were shocked! They said that part of their Certification to be a dog training Org. makes them guarantee that they will NOT train their dogs to "attack", "growl" or act in any negative way towards the general public. Making sure that our dogs are leashed, at all times, is the best guarantee to their safety. They're going to discuss it further.

We are the keepers of these wonderful beings and it's truly our job to keep them safe everywhere we go with them.

I hope that DKD is enjoying Davis and I wish everyone a wonderful weekend.

I'm exhausted, I'm going to go take a nap!

It's over, it's done, it's complete and........drum roll please.......Horty got a 3 year Certification! For those who don't know, that's the BEST you can get! Horton rocked it! He was amazing. And, he truly stood-out to the trainers. He was the biggest, most handsome dog there, that day! Everyone just loved his attitude and his amazing looks! Not much bragging here!

He stayed by my side, he picked-up stuff off the floor on the first command, he sat, laid down, stayed and heeled on command. He alerted when he was asked to, he opened a door, he pushed a drawer closed, he barked on my command, he had kibble thrown at him and all he did was look at the trainer and cock his head. They NEVER asked me to drop his leash [thank God!] And, thank goodness no one took their shoes off [or he would have stolen them immediately!]

They took him to the play yard and watched him interact with other dogs and just play in general. He's so funny to watch.....there's a mural of dogs on the wall, at CCI, and Horton barked and hackled at it for at least 3 minutes......such a brave boy!!!!!

I told them the story of Medford, Oregon and they were shocked! They said that part of their Certification to be a dog training Org. makes them guarantee that they will NOT train their dogs to "attack", "growl" or act in any negative way towards the general public. Making sure that our dogs are leashed, at all times, is the best guarantee to their safety. They're going to discuss it further.

We are the keepers of these wonderful beings and it's truly our job to keep them safe everywhere we go with them.

I am glad you are back and you got recertified for 3 years. I knew you would get a high score. I wish they had a better answer to your Oregon not fun experience. Good JOB to both Horty,Brenda and you and your late husband. You all work so hard for these dogs. Susan

HIP, hip, hooray for the Big Dog and the Lady with Big Hair! We knew you guys would do it big! Congratulations. Hopefully CCI will come up with something to protect your precious cargo and yourself. There has to be a middle ground that is not considered aggressive unless provoked beyond limits.

I am glad you are back and you got recertified for 3 years. I knew you would get a high score. I wish they had a better answer to your Oregon not fun experience. Good JOB to both Horty,Brenda and you and your late husband. You all work so hard for these dogs. Susan

Thank you so much, Susan. Your words are very kind and well appreciated.

Along with my children, my wonderful dogs are my life! I treasure them!

Again, thank you.

HIP, hip, hooray for the Big Dog and the Lady with Big Hair! We knew you guys would do it big! Congratulations. Hopefully CCI will come up with something to protect your precious cargo and yourself. There has to be a middle ground that is not considered aggressive unless provoked beyond limits.

Thank you so much sweet Nancy. I'm very proud of Horton and am so glad to be home with Brenny and him.

I can take it easy for the next 3 years and just enjoy Horty and pray that my Brenny will have an easy and pain-free old age with us.

Yay Horton and yay Roz! I'm thrilled you both did so well. :) Take a bow yourself, Roz, because you worked with Horton and you kept him up to the mark. Being such a big boy, and a young dog as well, it could so easily have gone the wrong way, if you had not handled him so well.

I'm sorry they couldn't suggest anything more to prevent attacks like you two experienced, but I can understand why they can't train helper-dog to turn into Cujo!!

I don't post often - no dog any more - but I'm a frequent lurker here.

Best wishes.

Celle

WOW, Roz, I am shocked at your dog theft attempt story!! So glad it ended well for Horton and you (and Brenda - you'd think they'd have gone for the unattended dog in the car instead of the leashed one! Car dog thefts are common).

And Misty is an adorable dog! I am glad to hear Oz and Misty get along so well!

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and New Year's ... 2014!!! :eek:

Edited by Quampapetet

Well done! We're proud of you both! How on earth that big lad managed to ignore his kibble, goodness only knows, but I did laugh at the picture of him ( in my head), with his head cocked probably with the expression that our dear labs have perfected, saying "WOT???" to the trainers! I'm sure all we dog lovers know exactly that look! LOL!

You enjoy your weekend Roz, relax and enjoy those two dear doggies.

And a happy weekend to everyone :D. We're due for some awful weather, gales, so I told our trees in the garden to hunker down and hang onto their roots! Hee hee, oh yes going totally mad now! It's so funny to see the labs big soft ears flapping around and them sniffing into the wind and staring into space. It's as if they know bad weather on its way!

Way to go Roz and Horty!!!!!!! I told you they know when to turn it on. ;)

Den, Still waiting for a pic of Davis. :(

We are hunkering down for the big storm today. 8-12 inches expected. We have dog class tonight but I doubt they are going to have it. It's 12 out right now and weatherman said we might get to 20 later today! :D

HORTON ROCKS!!! WAY TO GO!!

Love Misty and The Adorable Oz

Yay Horton and yay Roz! I'm thrilled you both did so well. :) Take a bow yourself, Roz, because you worked with Horton and you kept him up to the mark. Being such a big boy, and a young dog as well, it could so easily have gone the wrong way, if you had not handled him so well.

I'm sorry they couldn't suggest anything more to prevent attacks like you two experienced, but I can understand why they can't train helper-dog to turn into Cujo!!

I don't post often - no dog any more - but I'm a frequent lurker here.

Best wishes.

Celle

Celle, thank you so much. I so appreciate your kind words.

Horton is definitely a "big boy" and he has the power and youth behind him to do a lot of damage but he can be such a gentleman and a thoughtful and diligent hard worker. I am surely proud of him!

Your input is much appreciated.

WOW, Roz, I am shocked at your dog theft attempt story!! So glad it ended well for Horton and you (and Brenda - you'd think they'd have gone for the unattended dog in the car instead of the leashed one! Car dog thefts are common).

And Misty is an adorable dog! I am glad to hear Oz and Misty get along so well!

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and New Year's ... 2014!!! :eek:

Quam, if these bad folks had been watching us, they would have observed that the unattended dog in the car needed to load and unload with a ramp, she walks very slowly and though she was unattended she was behind locked doors......not much of any easy mark.

My right leg, hip and hand still hurt like the dickens but are getting better every day.

Horton passing his testing with flying colors has but a spring back in my step.

Happy Holidays to you.

Well done! We're proud of you both! How on earth that big lad managed to ignore his kibble, goodness only knows, but I did laugh at the picture of him ( in my head), with his head cocked probably with the expression that our dear labs have perfected, saying "WOT???" to the trainers! I'm sure all we dog lovers know exactly that look! LOL!

You enjoy your weekend Roz, relax and enjoy those two dear doggies.

And a happy weekend to everyone :D. We're due for some awful weather, gales, so I told our trees in the garden to hunker down and hang onto their roots! Hee hee, oh yes going totally mad now! It's so funny to see the labs big soft ears flapping around and them sniffing into the wind and staring into space. It's as if they know bad weather on its way!

Fairbourne, thank you so much. He made us proud, my handsome boy!

Our weather here is going into the 80's [is that ridiculous!] We had a tiny taste of winter and back to the heat.

I haven't washed my car because I was hoping it would rain and do it for me.....no such luck. And between my travels to Oregon and then down to San Diego, boy is it dirty. Looks like I have to go to the car wash on Monday before I turn it in on Thursday for repairs.

Don't Labs have the best, velvety ears!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Way to go Roz and Horty!!!!!!! I told you they know when to turn it on. ;)

Den, Still waiting for a pic of Davis. :(

We are hunkering down for the big storm today. 8-12 inches expected. We have dog class tonight but I doubt they are going to have it. It's 12 out right now and weatherman said we might get to 20 later today! :D

Thanks Cindy, he was a good boy and made me very proud!

I hope the weather isn't as harsh as the news expects and I hope you all get through it with ease.

When I said earlier that the photo of Misty lifted my spirits this morning, it truly did.

Sadly on Saturday evening, our darling Ellie, the most gentle, most beautiful Maine Coon pussy cat you would ever wish to meet, left us to join the angels.

To say I am heartbroken would be an understatement, but I just know you will all know how I feel.

We had no indication that anything was wrong, and I found her at bedtime, lying on a favourite chair in our bedroom, just looking like she was asleep. She was only 9 years old.

As my DH said, it was her time and she simply just didn't wake up.

Needless to say, the dogs have been a blessing, with their soft velvet ears and their gentle nuzzling - we've had lots of tears and group hugs. She loved "her dogs" and although a bit of a scaredy cat, she would allow them to give her a quick lick and sniffing before tearing through their legs to escape the doggy dribble lovings!

We are having a ceremony this afternoon - there is a special place in our garden where we lay our pals to rest. It is a bright, sunny day with blue skies and I am going to try very, very hard to smile and be grateful and thankful that we were so blessed to have her in our lives.

image.jpg.1bf9a36002be1caab2cd22894230fc65.jpg

When I said earlier that the photo of Misty lifted my spirits this morning, it truly did.

Sadly on Saturday evening, our darling Ellie, the most gentle, most beautiful Maine Coon pussy cat you would ever wish to meet, left us to join the angels.

To say I am heartbroken would be an understatement, but I just know you will all know how I feel.

We had no indication that anything was wrong, and I found her at bedtime, lying on a favourite chair in our bedroom, just looking like she was asleep. She was only 9 years old.

As my DH said, it was her time and she simply just didn't wake up.

Needless to say, the dogs have been a blessing, with their soft velvet ears and their gentle nuzzling - we've had lots of tears and group hugs. She loved "her dogs" and although a bit of a scaredy cat, she would allow them to give her a quick lick and sniffing before tearing through their legs to escape the doggy dribble lovings!

We are having a ceremony this afternoon - there is a special place in our garden where we lay our pals to rest. It is a bright, sunny day with blue skies and I am going to try very, very hard to smile and be grateful and thankful that we were so blessed to have her in our lives.

What a beautiful kitty. I'm so sorry Fairbourne. It's a nasty part of life. We all know how you feel and are here for you. *hugs*

Edited by rangeley

Sorry it took so long to get here, but it's been a long weekend getting Davis comfortable in the house. He came into Newark Airport Friday morning on United. They were fantastic. They have a service called Pet Safe. When he got to the terminal, there was some poop in the crate. They took him in the back and cleaned out the crate and even washed him off a bit. He weighs 14.5 pounds at 8 weeks! He has a bit of a stubborn streak in him.

Here's Davis!!

Snow.jpg

Christmas.jpg

Sorry it took so long to get here, but it's been a long weekend getting Davis comfortable in the house. He came into Newark Airport Friday morning on United. They were fantastic. They have a service called Pet Safe. When he got to the terminal, there was some poop in the crate. They took him in the back and cleaned out the crate and even washed him off a bit. He weighs 14.5 pounds at 8 weeks! He has a bit of a stubborn streak in him.

Here's Davis!!

Snow.jpg

Christmas.jpg

He's adorable and that little black nose with the snow on it ..... Looks like he is going to be a big strong, chunky boy, just the way we like them! Thank you so much for sharing him with us! :).

Congrats Roz!!

Like I said. These dogs know how and when to make us look good. We are at 3 years too. You can get pretty lazy in 3 years. :o