Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

When I said earlier that the photo of Misty lifted my spirits this morning, it truly did.

Sadly on Saturday evening, our darling Ellie, the most gentle, most beautiful Maine Coon pussy cat you would ever wish to meet, left us to join the angels.

To say I am heartbroken would be an understatement, but I just know you will all know how I feel.

We had no indication that anything was wrong, and I found her at bedtime, lying on a favourite chair in our bedroom, just looking like she was asleep. She was only 9 years old.

As my DH said, it was her time and she simply just didn't wake up.

Needless to say, the dogs have been a blessing, with their soft velvet ears and their gentle nuzzling - we've had lots of tears and group hugs. She loved "her dogs" and although a bit of a scaredy cat, she would allow them to give her a quick lick and sniffing before tearing through their legs to escape the doggy dribble lovings!

We are having a ceremony this afternoon - there is a special place in our garden where we lay our pals to rest. It is a bright, sunny day with blue skies and I am going to try very, very hard to smile and be grateful and thankful that we were so blessed to have her in our lives.

Oh! No! Good bye, sweet Ellie. You must have been a wonderful girl, the way your Mom brags about you. I'm so glad that you passed in an easy way

Fairbourne, thank you for sharing the beautiful picture of Ellie. It's so hard to explain "why"......I know that you must be very sad for the loss of Ellie, please know that I'm thinking about you and am sending my warmest hugs and good wishes to you. May you be comforted by all the sweet and fun memories that you have of Ellie when she blessed your home.

Oh! DKD! Congratulations on getting Davis. He's so, so sweet and cute. He's going to be a big boy. I love his square face.

He's definitely got a "twinkle" in his eyes. I think you've got your hands full with this little guy!

Please continue to send pictures so we can follow his progress.

Thanks for the congratulations on our 3 year Cert. Horton and I definitely earned it!!!!

Amazing, some of our dear, sweet loves leave us and new one's come into our lives.......isn't it the way life goes!

Through it all, we're here for one another. Fairbourne, again, my heart goes out to you and your family at the loss of Ellie.

Davis, welcome to our family. You're a lucky little boy to have such loving folks to care for you.

Thanks to everyone for your wishes and hugs.

Isn't it true, we love and lose and then we love again. Just as well we all have such big hearts, cos there's an awful lot of paw prints in there.

I can't tell you how much the photos of the Dashing Davis and Miss Gorgeous Misty cheered me up yesterday, both starting out new life experiences with their new families, and I just know they both could not have better humans to be with.

Thanks to all again, I appreciate your concerns and I love being part of this fabulous forum family ..... :).

Isn't it true, we love and lose and then we love again. Just as well we all have such big hearts, cos there's an awful lot of paw prints in there.

I can't tell you how much the photos of the Dashing Davis and Miss Gorgeous Misty cheered me up yesterday, both starting out new life experiences with their new families, and I just know they both could not have better humans to be with.

Thanks to all again, I appreciate your concerns and I love being part of this fabulous forum family ..... :).

We love having you!

Since I don't happen to know anyone personally who has a service dog I have a question. Do all types of dogs have to do the re-certification periodically?

Sparky, welcome! I have a friend with a Seeing Eye Dog and she has to re-certify and another friend who belongs to another Org. and she told me they have to re-certify.

Since most Service/Working Dog Orgs. have to be accredited with ADI [Assistance Dogs International], who insist that their Orgs. dogs go for re-certification every 1 - 3 years, I believe that any Org. that is properly licensed would mandate that their handlers go for re-certification as CCI does.

It certainly keeps the right handlers and dogs out into the public.

Sparky, welcome! I have a friend with a Seeing Eye Dog and she has to re-certify and another friend who belongs to another Org. and she told me they have to re-certify.

Since most Service/Working Dog Orgs. have to be accredited with ADI [Assistance Dogs International], who insist that their Orgs. dogs go for re-certification every 1 - 3 years, I believe that any Org. that is properly licensed would mandate that their handlers go for re-certification as CCI does.

It certainly keeps the right handlers and dogs out into the public.

Thanks. It makes perfect sense but just wasn't something I'd ever thought of.

We used to have a sweet little elderly blind lady that always got up to speak at our City Council meetings (City of El Paso) and you have to sign up before the meeting. I was on the elevator with her and her black Lab - who was obviously sniffing me. She said she hoped he wasn't being a nuisance - so I said he probably was smelling my cats. :) The folks at City Clerk's where she had to sign up kept a box of milk bones behind the counter so he would get a treat - not sure what you call it when the dog isn't "on duty".

It's an absolute joy and honor to watch a Seeing Eye Dog working. All Service/Working Dogs are absolutely brilliant in their devotion and dedication in "getting the job done!" It takes so much restraint on my part, when I see another Service Team. I want to go over and just hug the dog, I adore them all! As does most folks when they see them.

The command we use for our dogs when they don't have to work anymore is "release!" When I say it to Horton, he totally changes his demeanor and immediately starts sniffing the ground! He'll sniff the walls, the floor, the chairs, the shopping cart, the tires on the cars, the running board on the car, everything and anything that gets in his path MUST be sniffed. It's his most frequent correction! :(

It's snowing again. :mad:

This is ridiculous......we have our air conditioning on, it's 80 degrees out. When I went home from work yesterday it was 71 degrees at 6:00pm.

Now, if I were a surfer, it would be a different story. :rolleyes:

Last week we're freezing, this week we're balmy.......hang around, it'll change! We're getting more like Texas every day! When we were visiting Dallas, a few years ago, that's the expression that Texan's use about their weather.

Hang in there Cindy, stay warm! I think you're going to have a really white Christmas this year!

Catching up. It's been a while since I've been on here.

Wow Roz! What a crazy experience!

Hope everyone else is adjusting to life with their new pups.

We are gearing up for Christmas. I'm not ready but feeling like I really don't care. What is done is done and if it doesn't get done until later so be it. :)

Catching up. It's been a while since I've been on here.

Wow Roz! What a crazy experience!

Hope everyone else is adjusting to life with their new pups.

We are gearing up for Christmas. I'm not ready but feeling like I really don't care. What is done is done and if it doesn't get done until later so be it. :)

That's the attitude we know and love!

Have a wonderful Christmas, enjoy your hubby and Ollie. :)

I just love your first paragraph. It is very true that we love our animals; as pets, service animals or any way they love and help us. Sorry for your loss. Also loved the pictures of the new (kids on the block), Misty and Davis.

Susan

Hi Roz and all!

I am waiting to hear if we are confirmed for the wait list. We had our home visit interview about six weeks ago. Sure would be a nice Christmas present to know. Then the real waiting (a year or longer) will begin.

Meanwhile, we decided to plan a Europe trip for next October, returning on a Celebrity transatlantic, since we will be less inclined to do another one when we have our dog.

Thanks so much for asking.

Happy Christmas to all,

Chris

Hi Roz and all!

I am waiting to hear if we are confirmed for the wait list. We had our home visit interview about six weeks ago. Sure would be a nice Christmas present to know. Then the real waiting (a year or longer) will begin.

Meanwhile, we decided to plan a Europe trip for next October, returning on a Celebrity transatlantic, since we will be less inclined to do another one when we have our dog.

Thanks so much for asking.

Happy Christmas to all,

Chris

I'm so glad to hear that things are moving along. Wait, you'll plan something and then you'll get the call, it never fails. But, it won't matter, it will take presidence over your life and you'll love and cherish every moment.

Traveling, whether it be by air, sea or plane only becomes more fun and adventurous when you'll have your dog with you. He/she will become part of your family and lifestyle.

Let us know how it's going, we, who have a Service Dog know exactly what you're going through. And, even our wonderful friends who support us with their furfamilies, who fulfill their lives as pets, know the joy and unconditional love that comes with our beloved dogs.

I just shoveled about 6" of the most beautiful white fluffy snow. But it's still snowing, atleast for a few more hours.

Oh and it's 16 out Roz!!!

Our cruise is coming up quick, if I can just get through the Holidays. Then I can worry about packing!! :(

Edited by rangeley

I just shoveled about 6" of the most beautiful white fluffy snow. But it's still snowing, atleast for a few more hours.

Oh and it's 16 out Roz!!!

Our cruise is coming up quick, if I can just get through the Holidays. Then I can worry about packing!! :(

Holy icicles Bat Girl, it's cold where you are!!!!!!!! We may get a sprinkle of rain this week but we won't hold our breath! Right now, it's lay out by the pool with a "foo-foo" drink in your hand, kind of weather!

Wouldn't surprise me if we had an earthquake! Just saying! :eek: