Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

[quote name='Caribbean Chris']Just wanted to share with everybody my exciting news today. I've been accepted to receive a Certified Hearing Dog! (from Dogs for the Deaf in Oregon). I know you can all relate to how I feel today.

Especially wanted to share with Colleen, Misty & Oz!

Now the real waiting begins. Could be a year or longer. But Bob and I are so excited. Up until now, it was IF we get a dog...now we get to say WHEN.

Happy New Year and stay warm everybody. Going down possibly 15 degrees tonight, pretty unheard-of for the NC Coast.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Purple"][B]Oh! My! Gosh! I'm so excited for you. Congratulations! I promise the wait seems like a lifetime but it all will happen. I couldn't be happier for you. I know just what that wonderful news means for you.

What breeds of dogs does your Org. train? And, do they also do Service work other than Hearing?

I know just how you're feeling......it's a definite "cloud 9!" We're right up there with you. So exciting! We had to wait 2 years for Brenda and then only a year for Horton. I know what the wait feels like and so do many other's of us.......we're right here with you.

Please let us know if you hear any news sooner!!!!!!! Again, way to go!!!!!!![/B][/COLOR] Edited by wizard-of-roz

Thanks, Roz!!

Dogs for the Deaf rescues young shelter dogs along the west coast that show the right aptitude and after med exams, etc they begin training. Some wash out and are put up for adoption by DFD as "Career Change Dogs."

So no way to know what breed will come to join my life until he or she is matched with me!

I think I read a while back that they are the oldest hearing dog training facility in the world. I believe they also train autism assistance dogs now, and program assistance dogs for therapists and other professionals who work with people with challenges.

I'll keep everyone posted.
Chris

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Chris OMD (Oh My Dog!) I am thoroughly thrilled for you, well maybe not as thrilled as Roz, could you tell? We all will be on pins and needles, waiting right along side of you. Can't wait to see what kind of baby you get! Hip, Hip, Hooray! :D[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Caribbean Chris']Just wanted to share with everybody my exciting news today. I've been accepted to receive a Certified Hearing Dog! (from Dogs for the Deaf in Oregon). I know you can all relate to how I feel today.

Especially wanted to share with Colleen, Misty & Oz!

Now the real waiting begins. Could be a year or longer. But Bob and I are so excited. Up until now, it was IF we get a dog...now we get to say WHEN.

Happy New Year and stay warm everybody. Going down possibly 15 degrees tonight, pretty unheard-of for the NC Coast.[/quote]

Congrats!!! Very exciting! Hopefully you won't have to wait long. :D

[quote name='S.S. Cruisers'][SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen]I will just keep my 38* Princess Pony Pants mouth shut! Nuff said.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo] I'm not sayin' anything, either.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] ;):D

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo]Except to say, Congrats Chris![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR="Purple"][B]Sure, just leave it to me to tell you that it was so "chilly" this morning, here, at 57 degrees......I thought I'd freeze my fingers off!!!!! I couldn't wait to get in my car and turn the heat on!!!!! :o

And, you should have seen the folks who were walking on the street, you would have thought it was minus 57; with all the gear they had on; hats, gloves, scarves, boots......we are such wimps, here in la,la land!

It was 79 degrees here yesterday and even the weather folks on the news are sounding a bit bored with it all!!!! I say; don't tempt the weather Gods because pay-back is a biotch!

DKD; your invitation to join you in your misery is not cool [pardon the pun!] 4 & 5 degree weather sounds more like my Grandkids age, not the weather!

I'm sorry for you poor, chilly, frost bitten souls that have to endure it!!!! :cool:[/B][/COLOR]

Never traveling British Air lines again with out everything in writing. Was talking to a agent from British Air Lines they told us that since we had a layover in England but were not leaving airport our dog would not need necessary papers. Once we arrived at Pearson Air Port Toronto we found out that England was going to have to corinteen her if we were unable to produce the papers needed (we live 2 hrs from airport and the documentation takes 2 weeks to get for this special thing) we had no choice but to have her corinteened. Once we got to England went through normal security (30 minutes) we had 15 more minutes to twiddle our thumbs. We paid $300.00 US for her to be corinteeded. British Air Lines agent was looking into this issue. But it never should have been a problem. Just goes to show that one hand does not know what other hand is saying!! Edited by giggleykim

[quote name='giggleykim']Never traveling British Air lines again with out everything in writing. Was talking to a agent from British Air Lines they told us that since we had a layover in England but were not leaving airport our dog would not need necessary papers. Once we arrived at Pearson Air Port Toronto we found out that England was going to have to corinteen her if we were unable to produce the papers needed (we live 2 hrs from airport and the documentation takes 2 weeks to get for this special thing) we had no choice but to have her corinteened. Once we got to England went through normal security (30 minutes) we had 15 more minutes to twiddle our thumbs. We paid $300.00 US for her to be corinteeded. British Air Lines agent was looking into this issue. But it never should have been a problem. Just goes to show that one hand does not know what other hand is saying!![/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Purple"][B]What?

First: You got on a British Airway plane without your dog having any documentation? Second: Someone took your dog from you to be quarantined? Third: You paid $300 for the quarantine? When did you get your dog back and how did you function without her?

Am I confused? Did all of the above really happen? This is truly a nightmare.

How did you get your dog on the airplane, without any documentation? Where did your dog stay, while on the airplane?

Can you be more specific about the happenings. [/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='giggleykim']Never traveling British Air lines again with out everything in writing. Was talking to a agent from British Air Lines they told us that since we had a layover in England but were not leaving airport our dog would not need necessary papers. Once we arrived at Pearson Air Port Toronto we found out that England was going to have to corinteen her if we were unable to produce the papers needed (we live 2 hrs from airport and the documentation takes 2 weeks to get for this special thing) we had no choice but to have her corinteened. Once we got to England went through normal security (30 minutes) we had 15 more minutes to twiddle our thumbs. We paid $300.00 US for her to be corinteeded. British Air Lines agent was looking into this issue. But it never should have been a problem. Just goes to show that one hand does not know what other hand is saying!![/quote]

I'm sorry, but I don't have much sympathy for you. You may have been an innocent abroad, but you were irresponsible and your dog suffered because of it. You can't justifiably blame British Airways, as all airlines would have had to comply with UK regulations.

Research, people, before taking your service dog (or yourself) out of your home country! That research takes time and does not mean relying on just the advice of one airline employee. Every country has agriculture and animal health regulations, and you have to comply with them, no matter where you go. You will almost always need paperwork and vet certificates for your dog - so allow plenty of time for that.

Dogs, wonderful as they are, can carry ticks and diseases. The UK, unlike the US, is rabies-free and their quarantine regulations are strict. Even if you are only in transit, you are still on UK soil, so of course your dog had to be quarantined, because you lacked any certificatoin to prove he/she was disease-free.

[quote name='celle']I'm sorry, but I don't have much sympathy for you. You may have been an innocent abroad, but you were irresponsible and your dog suffered because of it. You can't justifiably blame British Airways, as all airlines would have had to comply with UK regulations.

Research, people, before taking your service dog (or yourself) out of your home country! That research takes time and does not mean relying on just the advice of one airline employee. Every country has agriculture and animal health regulations, and you have to comply with them, no matter where you go. You will almost always need paperwork and vet certificates for your dog - so allow plenty of time for that.

Dogs, wonderful as they are, can carry ticks and diseases. The UK, unlike the US, is rabies-free and their quarantine regulations are strict. Even if you are only in transit, you are still on UK soil, so of course your dog had to be quarantined, because you lacked any certificatoin to prove he/she was disease-free.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Purple"][B]How did the dog get into the airplane without documentation? The airlines knew where they were flying to and what the regulations would be for International paperwork on a Service Dog. And, why would anyone put their dog in harms way by risking it being taken away from them?

Did we hear the whole story?[/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='DisneyKidsDad'][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]It was 4 degrees when I drove to work this morning. :eek: It's a balmy 5 degrees now. With a real feel of -17 degrees. I think Roz should come east for a visit. :D[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/quote]

I agree Roz should come!!!

[quote name='rangeley']Finally got the permit for the Bahamas. I sent it in November and finally had to call there. Four transfers later I finally got the right person. She faxed the permit the other day, so I guess she had it all along :mad:[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo] Talk about last minute! :eek: Glad you finally got it. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='dobiemom'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=Indigo] Talk about last minute! :eek: Glad you finally got it. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

They must have had it all this time and just let it sit there. When I called she told me to call back in a few hours, she had to look for it. When I called back she asked me for a fax number and I had it the next day. :confused:

[quote name='rangeley']Finally got the permit for the Bahamas. I sent it in November and finally had to call there. Four transfers later I finally got the right person. She faxed the permit the other day, so I guess she had it all along :mad:[/QUOTE]

Really glad you got it! Nothing worse than last minute official-business issues before a trip.

It's really helpful to those of us who eventually want to cruise with a service dog to read these potential road blocks. It's an education that would be impossible to get elsewhere, I'm guessing.

By the way, thanks everybody for the good wishes for my future hearing dog news!

[quote name='rangeley']I agree Roz should come!!![/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Purple"][B]I'd love to be there with you, no matter what the weather was!

I've been home since Wednesday with a sinus infection.....I'm going back to work tomorrow....The air is so dry and the winds are blowing like crazy, my face hates it! It actually hurts!!!! :([/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='rangeley']Finally got the permit for the Bahamas. I sent it in November and finally had to call there. Four transfers later I finally got the right person. She faxed the permit the other day, so I guess she had it all along :mad:[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Purple"][B]So annoying how these officials have no idea how difficult it is to prepare to travel with a Service Dog, without them getting in our way too![/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Purple"][B]I'm glad you finally got it! You must be getting so excited. This is truly a well-deserved vacation![/B][/COLOR]

Really glad you got it! Nothing worse than last minute official-business issues before a trip.

It's really helpful to those of us who eventually want to cruise with a service dog to read these potential road blocks. It's an education that would be impossible to get elsewhere, I'm guessing.

By the way, thanks everybody for the good wishes for my future hearing dog news!

Chris, what you'll learn on this thread about traveling with your Service Dog will be so helpful in your future.

It will take away any anxiety or fear that you might have and we'll all support you in your adventures!

So annoying how these officials have no idea how difficult it is to prepare to travel with a Service Dog, without them getting in our way too!

I'm glad you finally got it! You must be getting so excited. This is truly a well-deserved vacation!

Sorry to hear about your sinus infection. I hate anything to do with my nose and breathing. :(

We are actually lucky this year because we are visiting 2 American islands(virtually no paperwork, except intl health cert) Grand Turk where we will not get off because of their ridiculous requirements and cash they want, and HALs private island which is in the Bahamas. I don't even know if I need a permit to go there since HAL owns the island but I like to make sure. We rented a cabana there this year so I didn't want any problems.

We are getting very excited and my mind is racing just thinking of the packing :eek: I don't want to wait til the week before we leave because I have a hair appt, vet, groomer and a million other things to do. Don't forget I practically pack for 3 people and the dog!!

Sorry to hear about your sinus infection. I hate anything to do with my nose and breathing. :(

We are actually lucky this year because we are visiting 2 American islands(virtually no paperwork, except intl health cert) Grand Turk where we will not get off because of their ridiculous requirements and cash they want, and HALs private island which is in the Bahamas. I don't even know if I need a permit to go there since HAL owns the island but I like to make sure. We rented a cabana there this year so I didn't want any problems.

We are getting very excited and my mind is racing just thinking of the packing :eek: I don't want to wait til the week before we leave because I have a hair appt, vet, groomer and a million other things to do. Don't forget I practically pack for 3 people and the dog!!

Me too! Stuff my nose and the cranky really comes out!!!! Poor Horton, he's heard some mighty bad words this week!!!!! I think Brenny's hearing is hit & miss these days so she's lucky, she doesn't have to hear my ranting! :(

Boy, with all the packing and preparing YOU have to do for your family, I'd hate to see your "To-Do" list!