Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Geez now they are predicting a snow storm for Saturday. :eek: Of course we leave Sunday. Just something else to stress about now. I already told Lee to be ready for pickup on Friday. I hope all this sickness means that we are all immune to any bugs going around on the ship. :D

Haven't been here too often, but I just want to wish you a

dso.gif

I tried to copy Roz's answer about fake dog names. I am somewhat computer dumb. I learn so much from reading these boards. I never knew to use another name for dog. I do not have a service dog. But I have talked to some people who have a service dog. They have been friendly and answered my questions. I have tried not to be intrusive or bothersome. Thank You to the people who understand that some of us are curious and would never ever hurt or try to cause harm to your animal. Unless for some stupid reason the dog tries to trip me, I have balance problems. The only reason I say that is because I have a cat that does not want to move for me and I have to be careful. I still would not harm your animal delibertely. Thanks for all the information I learn here. Susan

I tried to copy Roz's answer about fake dog names. I am somewhat computer dumb. I learn so much from reading these boards. I never knew to use another name for dog. I do not have a service dog. But I have talked to some people who have a service dog. They have been friendly and answered my questions. I have tried not to be intrusive or bothersome. Thank You to the people who understand that some of us are curious and would never ever hurt or try to cause harm to your animal. Unless for some stupid reason the dog tries to trip me, I have balance problems. The only reason I say that is because I have a cat that does not want to move for me and I have to be careful. I still would not harm your animal delibertely. Thanks for all the information I learn here. Susan

Susan, if someone is genuine with me and I know it I always tell them my dogs name, with no hesitation. That said, I was once onboard the Carnival Pride when some boys sitting in the pizza area were calling Brenda [they found out her name somehow], she was my first Service Dog and they actually motivated her with a piece of pizza and calling her name. She started to crawl towards them. It was a lesson learned for me.

1. ALWAYS keep your dog tied to a chair/table or the leash tucked securely under your leg. Brenda's leash was just laying by her side.

2. She wouldn't go to them with just the piece of pizza but with the pizza and them calling her name, it was enough to motivate her to move towards them, even if it was a "combat crawl!" She knew she was doing something wrong but she's only a dog and was overly tempted.

The boys got truly bawled out by me and my husband. It could have been a very dangerous situation for my dog and certainly for me. We tried to teach them that a Service Dog should NEVER be patted/talked to or diverted, in any way from their task at hand!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Cindy, you must be so busy. Now, don't pack any snow in those bags!!!!! Just kidding! I bet you can't wait to cut free of good old Boston for a while!

If she wants to send any snow, she can send it my way. We have a local ski resort that usually has around 61 inches of snow at this time of the year and as if today they have 3 inches of snow. This will be the first year in the history of the resort that they have never had any snow. Oregon is in a terrible drought right now.

Roz, I sailed with you on the Carnival Splendor and it was at the boat drill that I met Brenda. She sure knew the routine didn't she.

I want to thank everyone for their reponses to my question about sailing to Alaska, I really appreciated the information.

Kathy

If she wants to send any snow, she can send it my way. We have a local ski resort that usually has around 61 inches of snow at this time of the year and as if today they have 3 inches of snow. This will be the first year in the history of the resort that they have never had any snow. Oregon is in a terrible drought right now.

Roz, I sailed with you on the Carnival Splendor and it was at the boat drill that I met Brenda. She sure knew the routine didn't she.

I want to thank everyone for their reponses to my question about sailing to Alaska, I really appreciated the information.

Kathy

I liked the Splendor. I thought it was a beautiful ship and we had a great cruise.

Well I'm back from CT again. Mom is home and doing well. We have a big storm tonight 8-12". Oh joy. Poor John has struggled these past few weeks so hopefully I will be able to stay. I read mom the riot act and told her no more!!

Had the hair done today. Just cancelled the vet for tomorrow cuz it doesn't look like we will make it there. So now thats Thursday. I'm going back home Friday for moms doctors appt and bringing Lee back. Looks like they have changed the storm from Saturday to Sunday night. So everyone pray thats how it stays. We do leave at 7:40am so hopefully we can get out before it starts.

I am so stressed out from all this mom stuff and everyone being sick, that I ended up with a big zit and a cold sore on my lip, which I have never had before! :eek: UGH!! I have not packed one darn thing so far. Maybe during the storm tomorrow I can get John to check off the list while I pack.

I don't know about anyone else but when I get those suitcases out of the closet, Wex will go nuts. He somehow knows we are going on vacation and gets very excited. I hope I can get excited sometime. :(

Well I'm back from CT again. Mom is home and doing well. We have a big storm tonight 8-12". Oh joy. Poor John has struggled these past few weeks so hopefully I will be able to stay. I read mom the riot act and told her no more!!

Had the hair done today. Just cancelled the vet for tomorrow cuz it doesn't look like we will make it there. So now thats Thursday. I'm going back home Friday for moms doctors appt and bringing Lee back. Looks like they have changed the storm from Saturday to Sunday night. So everyone pray thats how it stays. We do leave at 7:40am so hopefully we can get out before it starts.

I am so stressed out from all this mom stuff and everyone being sick, that I ended up with a big zit and a cold sore on my lip, which I have never had before! :eek: UGH!! I have not packed one darn thing so far. Maybe during the storm tomorrow I can get John to check off the list while I pack.

I don't know about anyone else but when I get those suitcases out of the closet, Wex will go nuts. He somehow knows we are going on vacation and gets very excited. I hope I can get excited sometime. :(

Take a deep breath and slow down Cindy. You have everything under control. You know the old saying...worry about the things you can control and don't give a crap about the things you can't. Or something like that. Things will work out and soon you will be watching the world go by while sipping or chugging a tropical drink or a double shot of Jack!! See how easy it is for me to say??

Have a great time!!

You've had way too much on your plate to get excited! I don't think you'll feel really happy about this cruise until you're on the ship and you're doing absolutely NOTHING!!!!!

I hope Mom settles down into a healthy routine. And, you get all the men packed and set. Wexy will be jumping for joy when he realizes that he's going on a cruise. I know Brenda & Horty both follow me all over the house when they see the suitcases come down. Brenda notices it the most and I know she knows what's happening. Horton is such a "La-dee-dah" kind of dog.....I'm never quite sure what he notices.

Take a deep breath and slow down Cindy. You have everything under control. You know the old saying...worry about the things you can control and don't give a crap about the things you can't. Or something like that. Things will work out and soon you will be watching the world go by while sipping or chugging a tropical drink or a double shot of Jack!! See how easy it is for me to say??

Have a great time!!

I noticed how easy it was for you to say "double shot of jack" :eek:

You've had way too much on your plate to get excited! I don't think you'll feel really happy about this cruise until you're on the ship and you're doing absolutely NOTHING!!!!!

I hope Mom settles down into a healthy routine. And, you get all the men packed and set. Wexy will be jumping for joy when he realizes that he's going on a cruise. I know Brenda & Horty both follow me all over the house when they see the suitcases come down. Brenda notices it the most and I know she knows what's happening. Horton is such a "La-dee-dah" kind of dog.....I'm never quite sure what he notices.

Horty seems like a goof ball!!!

Has anyone seen the recalls for Eukanuba dry kibble? I'm still feeding Brenda Senior Maintenance 7+ and Horty Eukanuba Large Breed. They're doing well and these two don't seem to be on the recall list. What's your thought?

Roz, Roxie also gets the "regular" Eukanuba Large Breed dry kibble even though she's 9 years old (don't you hate how the bag is now 33 pounds and not 40 pounds and we're paying the same price?!). I didn't hear about the recall. The last one I found on the internet was August 2013. Is there a new recall? :confused:

I hope everyone is having a wonderful 2014 so far!

As far as the Bahamas Import certificate goes, yes, things sit around on their desks for months at a time (sometimes you can compare the stamped/written dates on the parts of the certificate and postal cancelation and their envelope stamp and see this). I always mail in my form towards the end of August for my January trips (land trips) to be sure there's enough time to get the permit back. This year, mine actually came from the future! Their envelope stamp somehow got set to 2019! :-D If you need it fast/faster, fax it to them.

I loved that photo of the sleeping puppy in the Santa hat!!!

Congrats to the one who is getting his first service (hearing) dog soon!

Roz, you already know what I will tell you about the kind of food Eukanuba (and other brands from groceries, Wal-Mart, Petsmart, etc. - not including some brands that Petco now carries and brands from good mom'n'pop shops) is. I don't know what parent company they are part of, but take Purina as an example - they have killed many dogs with their Chinese ingredients. Food like that contains harmful chemicals like BHA. They contain by-products, which includes things you do not want your dog eating. That includes rendered (dead) dogs and cats. Find a quality food (there are Web sites that rate foods so you can find some) that is all-natural, like Nature's Variety, Spring Naturals, Merrick, Life's Abundance, etc. - there are many to choose from these days.

I hope those of you who have been ill feel better soon!

I have been fairly well, save for some days - but definitely better than 2012!

My service dog just had surgery today to remove a couple of large sebaceous cysts (one interfered with the placement of the mobility harness and the other had gotten too large over the years) and to biopsy a lymph node to see why they had gotten enlarged last month. She is recovering well, just is still a bit out of it due to the meds (as is to be expected). She won't be able to work for a while - 13 days until the stitches come out, then she will still need to heal longer before the harness can go on due to the placement of one of the cysts, now stitched incision - so won't be happy if I need to go out somewhere and have to leave her. A look at how the dreaded retirement will be! :-( I am not ready for the "r" word!!

By the way, do you all know about Bark Box? It is a monthly box that comes full of treats and toy(s) for your dog! The treats are all-natural and sourced only from the US and Canada, so are safe. I have subscribed to it since this past summer and my dog loves it! I never have to buy treats at the pet store or online anymore (except for Christmas gifts from Santa Paws, of course) because they last all month. I have been introduced to brands I never knew about, too, like Etta Says! for rabbit chews and deer chews. This month there was even a bottle of dog beer! (It is non-alcoholic and beef-flavored, of course.) It is $19/month for a 6-month subscription (paid in advance, includes shipping) and the boxes are worth more than that, IMO. (They have 3 - month and monthly plans, too.) I recommend it!

Hugs to all the service dogs and pets!

Oh! Cindy I feel for you. Try to calm down, things will work out. Just wanted to say have a great cruise-----I will be busy for the next couple of days but didn't want to forget to wish you calm seas and beautiful weather.

Hi to all of you out there and have a great weekend.

Fingers crossed for the snow to get to your house LATE.

Hi Wex. A big hug from me.

Bon Voyage Cindy - have a wonderful cruise and just think while you're sipping your cocktails under the sun we will still be suffering with all this horrible weather! :D. Actually don't think about us, just relax and enjoy being looked after!

Chris - that's great news about Raylene - and we all know how much we love black girl labs around here! And I just would love to hear that Deep South Introduction! LOL!

Roz - it did remind me too, I think the song may have been about Jolene stealing her man? don't know, think this virus I've had has dulled my brain! Who ever it was who said to slap 2013 where the monkeys stick their nuts (can I say that on here? LOL!), well, I guess I didn't slap hard enough!

But I have been lurking and that gorgeous photo of Davis in his baseball cap with his podgy belly - hee hee it wouldn't just be Aunty Roz popping round to tickle that belly, if I lived closer! He's a dear but his face does say "look what they've done to me now!" Good to get the update that Ocho doing well.

We've got Eukanuba dog food here too, never tried it, and doubt we will now! You've got to be so careful ....

Hope everyone well and with the snowdrops peeking up and just about to burst into flower, hopefully spring is coming soon .... I hope I'm not eating my words when we get 10 feet of snow next week!

Edited to add: wonder how Colleen and Misty are getting on? Hope Oz is still enjoying his retirement and the new girl in his life!

Edited by fairbourne

Horty seems like a goof ball!!!

Goofiest, Goofball I've ever met! He cracks me up all the time. He does the weirdest things for a dog! But, I do love him.

I took him to the Vet today to have his weekly manicure and he lost 2 more pounds. He's at 79lbs now. I brought him home at 75, he gained to 92 and then I brought him down to 79. CCI wants him to weigh 75 and the Vet wants him to weigh between 80 - 85. Looks like Horty's going to get some more food in his bowl tomorrow morning. The Vet said to give him 1 1/2 cups for breakfast and dinner. He was gaining too much on the 2 cups a feeding he was getting when I brought him home. No way was I exercising him the way that Training does. So, then I took him down to 1 cup twice a day and he really started to lose.

He's a tall, skinny guy right now!!!!! Mama Roz will take care of that!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Roz, Roxie also gets the "regular" Eukanuba Large Breed dry kibble even though she's 9 years old (don't you hate how the bag is now 33 pounds and not 40 pounds and we're paying the same price?!). I didn't hear about the recall. The last one I found on the internet was August 2013. Is there a new recall? :confused:

I didn't notice when the recall was from. I saw it on the internet. I asked the doctor and he said if neither of my dogs is sick not to worry. They're both doing well; Horty on Large Breed and Brenda on Senior Maintenance 7+.

Brenda is almost 15 years old. To change her food now would be a huge mistake. She's used to what she's eating. She gets Eukanuba 7+ Senior Maintenance, Salmon Oil, Virbac Chews, rice cakes, a little peanut butter. She has no more ear problems, no skin or fur problems and she's doing so well for her age. I'd hate to see her system get all screwed-up due to any changes in her diet.

The Vet said it well......"If she aint broke stop trying to fix her!" She's living a good life and doing so well, I won't tempt fate!

Have a wonderful trip Cindy and John and Wex and Lee. Are you leaving earlier? Too bad I live three hours from the port, you could stay here, so you don't miss that ship. You can come anyway if you are leaving early and need a place to stay=====just have to get up earlier and leave for Ft. Lauderdale.

I love the picture of Wex, glad you posted it. Hopefully I will be home Sunday to see you sail. Do you leave at 4 or 5pm?

Glad your mom is doing well. Now there is no reason that you cant have Fun, Fun, Fun.:D

Goofiest, Goofball I've ever met! He cracks me up all the time. He does the weirdest things for a dog! But, I do love him.

I took him to the Vet today to have his weekly manicure and he lost 2 more pounds. He's at 79lbs now. I brought him home at 75, he gained to 92 and then I brought him down to 79. CCI wants him to weigh 75 and the Vet wants him to weigh between 80 - 85. Looks like Horty's going to get some more food in his bowl tomorrow morning. The Vet said to give him 1 1/2 cups for breakfast and dinner. He was gaining too much on the 2 cups a feeding he was getting when I brought him home. No way was I exercising him the way that Training does. So, then I took him down to 1 cup twice a day and he really started to lose.

He's a tall, skinny guy right now!!!!! Mama Roz will take care of that!

Wexler gets 1 cup at both meals. When we brought him home he was on 1 1/2 cups and he gained weight right away. He's been on 1 cup ever since.