Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Welcome shakeNbake! We have only done one western Caribbean with our dog. I think all you need is the international health certificate and they will not accept your dog if it has not had a rabies within a year. They do not recognize a three year rabies shot. We did not do the shot and we were able to get off anyway. But they were not happy and told us next time we would have to get the shot. We do not get off the ship if an island requires unnecessary shots, tests or asks for money. I did not like the intimidating way they made me feel everytime we stopped at a new island and I had to bring him down for inspection. They made me sit there and didn't even look at the dog, just glared at me. I was very uncomfortable.

Cindy

Thanks for you input. We are trying this short cruise to see how it goes for a longer future trip. The confusion is on several sites entry requirements. Some indicate only Rabies and Distemper are needed, and some have additional shots needed such as hepatitis, heartworm. I don't care if we don't get off ship. We had cancelled a short cruise recently because the special service TA insisted on all inoculations including one a port requiring a titer test incase I had to be removed for medical reasons. The form 7001, after exam from a local vet, do I have to physically bring to a aphis approved vet which is 3 hrs. away to get a stamped seal? The other concern although well trained, has he never used a litter box. Cruise line is RCI . Also what do about ports requiring micro chips? Any info much appreciated.

Thanks Roz. The Art Show is always a fun time and I hope to be lucky and sell a couple of paintings. :D

We are sailing to the Bahamas. St. Thomas, St. Martin, Nassau. And three days at sea. We usually don't go far from the ship, Ed has a hard time walking and breathing. We enjoy the cruise and the Balcony and do a lot of reading.

Have a good day.

Good Luck! I love doing absolutely nothing and just relaxing! Enjoy!

Thanks for you input. We are trying this short cruise to see how it goes for a longer future trip. The confusion is on several sites entry requirements. Some indicate only Rabies and Distemper are needed, and some have additional shots needed such as hepatitis, heartworm. I don't care if we don't get off ship. We had cancelled a short cruise recently because the special service TA insisted on all inoculations including one a port requiring a titer test incase I had to be removed for medical reasons. The form 7001, after exam from a local vet, do I have to physically bring to a aphis approved vet which is 3 hrs. away to get a stamped seal? The other concern although well trained, has he never used a litter box. Cruise line is RCI . Also what do about ports requiring micro chips? Any info much appreciated.

Every island has different requirements. It would be great if they were all the same. In recent weeks we have heard that one cruiseline is making you do requirements for all islands even if you don't plan to get off the ship. While I do understand if you get sick your dog will not be able to get off the ship, I also do not like that I have to do unnecessary and expensive tests for our dog. Our cruiseline does not require us to do that. And NEVER pay any island money!! We have never had our health certificate certified by the USDA. It's a couple hour ride for us too. We have never been questioned about this. Make sure your vet is certified.

Our dog has a tatoo and no microchip. So far we have been ok with this. I think your dog has to have one of those to identify them. I noticed that in the past few years, more islands are requiring microchips. Eventually we will probably have to get one.

Maybe someone knows more about the litter box situation. The place where Wexler was trained have sorta sectioned off boxes in the dirt where all the dogs go potty, so Wexler took to the box right away. Try to section off a space for your dog at home and make the dog go there to practice.

Exciting news I wanted to share. Had a call Friday from Dogs for the Deaf saying they now have a good match for me. She's a black lab, certified for public access and finishing her Hearing Dog work in the next few weeks. We should be a team by early March. Fingers crossed that all goes well! Thanks to everybody on this thread for your support. I'll post photos eventually.

Exciting news I wanted to share. Had a call Friday from Dogs for the Deaf saying they now have a good match for me. She's a black lab, certified for public access and finishing her Hearing Dog work in the next few weeks. We should be a team by early March. Fingers crossed that all goes well! Thanks to everybody on this thread for your support. I'll post photos eventually.

This was the fastest waiting period for a Service Dog that I've ever heard of! Every organization does it differently.

I'm absolutely thrilled for you!

You have a family now of folks who know exactly what you're going through. We're here for you, night and day!

Love this cyber family thing!

10 to 14 inches of snow tonight and sub zero wind chill for the rest of the week. And it's only January. :eek:

Holy weather-vane Batman! We're still in the 80's and should be like this for the rest of this week! I don't know when we'll see rain again! I'm afraid when our real weather hits it's going to be scary.

Stay dry and warm!

When it comes to litter box training, it's really a case of consistency, consistency, consistency.

I trained Brenda in a 4x4 box, filled with kitty litter, by walking her over it over and over again [on leash] and giving her the command for going potty. I soon realized that kitty litter was very messy and she was walking it in all over the house and it stuck to her paws.

I graduated to real sod and then to artificial turf sitting on a bed of pea gravel.

I trained Horton in the same way and then found a company called DOG IN THE CITY who comes to my office every two weeks - they laid down a 4x5 wooden box, filled with real sod and they change it every two weeks for $80.00 a month. It keeps Horton and I out of the traffic/weather and away from other dogs. He has his own private toilet area in the garage of our building.

When Horton sees the "potty-box" guy coming he gets all excited!

These dogs love to go potty in these boxes.....so going in one on a cruise ship is easy-peasy!!!!!

Cindy, I bet you and John can't wait to get out of "Dodge!" Soon you'll be skimming along the beautiful ocean as it laps at the waves and sipping on your "foo-foo" drink by the pool! Awwwwwww! That's the life!!!!!!

I know you're getting some really frightful snow.......What the heck! Enough is enough already!

Are you getting your dog from the Dogs for the Deaf in Central Point Oregon, (they might list it as Medford Oregon since it is only a few miles away. I used to volunteer there right after they opened it. They do wonders with dogs, they get them from our local Humane Society and the pound, then they spend months training them. I can tell you any dog you get from this facility are fantastic. I wish you and your new friend many years together.

Kathy

Before I go off to bed, I wanted to wish all our friends who are being pounded by the snow storms, my very, very best. I hope that all of you come out of this unscathed and have a wonderful cruise planned in your future.

I know our friends Cindy & Trudy will be off on their cruises soon and hopefully flying down to the port won't be a problem.

Nancy is really unusually quiet......what's the matter is the weather too warm for you? :p Just kidding! ;)

Good night all!

Are you getting your dog from the Dogs for the Deaf in Central Point Oregon, (they might list it as Medford Oregon since it is only a few miles away. I used to volunteer there right after they opened it. They do wonders with dogs, they get them from our local Humane Society and the pound, then they spend months training them. I can tell you any dog you get from this facility are fantastic. I wish you and your new friend many years together.

Kathy

Hi, Kathy, yes...my dog will be coming from DFD in Oregon in about a month. You will remember Robin Dixon, the CEO and daughter of the founder. I met her in 2012 while working on a magazine article (I'm a writer) and decided to apply for a dog last year after writing a second article about one of their Hearing Dog teams. The more I learned about DFD, the more impressed I became. Thank you for your kind words of support!

Chris

Nancy is really unusually quiet......what's the matter is the weather too warm for you? :p Just kidding! ;)

Good night all!

Yes, Roz, I have one hand fanning myself and it is hard to type with one hand! Still just really busy. I should be a boyscout by the time I get Trav through it!

By the way, I love seeing the "Rolls Royce Lover" pop up! :D

I knew that the answers I needed to my question could be answered here by this wonderful and a very informative group of dog (and animal) lovers.

I will be sailing with my new service dog in July to Alaska on the Carnival Miracle. I know that in foreign ports you have to meet all kinds of requirements and also provide papers before you can take your dog ashore. I need to find out what are the requirements for taking a service animal to American Ports. I know my cruise is still 6 months away, but I want to make sure I have everything done early and correct, just in case I forgot something. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Roz,

I bet Brenda can't figure out why she can't go with you anymore, but Horton can and I bet the first cruise after you retired her was hard for the both of you. I met the both of you when you sailed on the Carnival Splendor in January of 2010. I lost my last service dog last August of a rare birth defect that the vets never picked up and because of that she died suddenly while I was holding her. I now have a new one that I have only had for a couple of weeks and his name is Willie. What is fantastic is that Willie is the grandson to my last service dog Missie.

Take Care

Kathy

I knew that the answers I needed to my question could be answered here by this wonderful and a very informative group of dog (and animal) lovers.

I will be sailing with my new service dog in July to Alaska on the Carnival Miracle. I know that in foreign ports you have to meet all kinds of requirements and also provide papers before you can take your dog ashore. I need to find out what are the requirements for taking a service animal to American Ports. I know my cruise is still 6 months away, but I want to make sure I have everything done early and correct, just in case I forgot something. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Take Care

Kathy

hey kathy,

i've taken rex, my service dog, to alaska three times and never had a problem. far as i know, the only u.s. state with 'special' entry requirements is hawaii. 'long as you're cleared to be on the ship--you should be good-to-go. kindly let me know if i can clarify. thanks!

Yes, Roz, I have one hand fanning myself and it is hard to type with one hand! Still just really busy. I should be a boyscout by the time I get Trav through it!

By the way, I love seeing the "Rolls Royce Lover" pop up! :D

I'm so glad you're busy with your boy!

Yes, I like using his computer too! I sure miss him!

Roz,

I bet Brenda can't figure out why she can't go with you anymore, but Horton can and I bet the first cruise after you retired her was hard for the both of you. I met the both of you when you sailed on the Carnival Splendor in January of 2010. I lost my last service dog last August of a rare birth defect that the vets never picked up and because of that she died suddenly while I was holding her. I now have a new one that I have only had for a couple of weeks and his name is Willie. What is fantastic is that Willie is the grandson to my last service dog Missie.

Take Care

Kathy

Kathy, you met Brenda, how wonderful! She was such an unselfish and graceful working partner! She loved her job and was always the most respectful and loving girl. She still is. Horton is at the whole other end of the Service Dog spectrum; he's a bit more self involved, although he's a wonderful partner when he's focused, he does think of himself a bit too much. Hopefully, I'll chalk it up to his youth. I have great hopes that he'll focus more on his tasks as he gets older!

Your story about your first Service Dog was so sad. You must have been devastated when she passed in your arms. How long did she work with you?

I hope that you and Willie have many wonderful years together.

hey kathy,

i've taken rex, my service dog, to alaska three times and never had a problem. far as i know, the only u.s. state with 'special' entry requirements is hawaii. 'long as you're cleared to be on the ship--you should be good-to-go. kindly let me know if i can clarify. thanks!

Hey Chandler, good to see you writing. I hope all is well for you and Rex.

Hey Chandler, good to see you writing. I hope all is well for you and Rex.

howdy roz,

thanks. yup rex and i are good. spent a little time in europe over the holidays and had a couple 'firsts': 1st rccl cruise and 1st t/a 'crossing' with a couple bumps, which seemed like a bigole cluster-fuNk at the time ... but otherwise, pretty cool--all around.

also enjoyin' sapphire (princess) being close-to-home and trying to maximize her relative proximity, e.g., no airfare and/or minimum transfer hassle/expense.

how's horton working out for you? i bet brenda enjoys bein' the s/d emeritus, in residence no less! lucky dog--and lucky you!

rex is almost 10yo--but he's still healthy and strong as an ox. i should've started thinkin'bout a transition dog a couple years ago--but... yeah, there's most always a "but", huh?

anyhow--i hope all's well with you and yours. take care!

Oh! Davis! He put you in a baseball hat, just look at you, with your pudgy little tummy and those long, long legs. You're going to be a very big boy!

Consider yourself lucky that you don't live close to Auntie Roz, I'd be over there everyday and squeezing those little cheeks and bouncing you on my lap......Oh! Goodness, no wonder my Horty is so screwed-up! :p

We have been to Alaska twice with our dog. Once by air and once by sea. Not a problem on either trip, but for the cruise we did go through Vancouver so we needed paperwork.

I think it's warmer in Alaska than it's been in Maryland lately.

We just got Ocho's advance training progress report. So far so good.

Ocho is now able to hold dumbbells made of various materials, and he can get a wooden dumbbell from my hand if I hold it out in front of him. He is also able to push drawers and doors shut. We are currently working on him being able to do an up on the wall and push a push plate to open a door. He is still sullen, but he is now more willing to work when I give him a high value treat for completing a command. He also has started to play fetch with a tennis ball. While on a field trip to Target he was able to complete his commands and was very calm when greeted by people.