Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Oh Nancy, I can only guess that the kitchen is one of the very favourite places of any dog .... prime spot for any occasional nibbles that may "accidentally" fall their way??? LOL! But it only ever happens when I'm on my own. The DH has said that he sometimes feels one of our "angel cats" in the utility room when he's sorting out the cat food.

Did your Renie boy ever try and get into the dishwasher? I'm sure he was much better behaved than the doggie guests we had for Hogmanay (new year's eve) - 3 chihuahuas, one mini pug, and one mini-pug cross with chihuahua. Talk about watching where to put your feet! We are so used to big dogs! Anyway, one of them was always wanting to get into the dishwasher, but only when it was being loaded to try and lick the dirty plates! Honestly, such bad behaviour! ;):D. But they were such fun and the big dogs just had a bemused look on their faces the whole time! They were all quite young, under a year old, and always busy! I think our girl dog had the look on her face that said, to me anyway, "thank goodness I didn't have puppies!" :eek:

Btw Roz, on the post that went a wandering into cyberspace, I remembered last night that I had also said, "you would be welcome in our backyard anytime! We might even let you in the house! LOL! ;):p:D"

I tried to post yesterday and my message also went to cyber space.

Roz, I am so sorry to hear the news about Brenda. I am not good with words but sure feel your pain. Hugs to you and Horty. I am sure Brenny is running around with Morey and maybe even my dog Rhonda. Sending extra Hugs to you. So nice that the Vet made that plaster cast for you---wish mine would have done that----we lost Rhonda while we were on a cruise. Bad news to come back too.

Quam, I am so sorry to hear about your dog----hugs to you too. I know this is a hard time when our babies are not well. Thoughts and hugs for you to get through these coming weeks.

Fairbourne, No Mr. Renie never tried to get in the dishwasher, he was 110 lbs! Big sturdy boy. Now on the other hand kitty use to try and get in the dishwasher and underneath it. Little booger.

Quam: I also think I did a post that went into cyber space. Hope you get some much needed, pawsitive answer for you and your girl. Life bites right now for a lot of us. :(

Oh Nancy, I can only guess that the kitchen is one of the very favourite places of any dog .... prime spot for any occasional nibbles that may "accidentally" fall their way??? LOL! But it only ever happens when I'm on my own. The DH has said that he sometimes feels one of our "angel cats" in the utility room when he's sorting out the cat food.

Did your Renie boy ever try and get into the dishwasher? I'm sure he was much better behaved than the doggie guests we had for Hogmanay (new year's eve) - 3 chihuahuas, one mini pug, and one mini-pug cross with chihuahua. Talk about watching where to put your feet! We are so used to big dogs! Anyway, one of them was always wanting to get into the dishwasher, but only when it was being loaded to try and lick the dirty plates! Honestly, such bad behaviour! ;):D. But they were such fun and the big dogs just had a bemused look on their faces the whole time! They were all quite young, under a year old, and always busy! I think our girl dog had the look on her face that said, to me anyway, "thank goodness I didn't have puppies!" :eek:

Btw Roz, on the post that went a wandering into cyberspace, I remembered last night that I had also said, "you would be welcome in our backyard anytime! We might even let you in the house! LOL! ;):p:D"

I saw that post somewhere. You said that I could come in the backyard and "maybe" even in the house! Thanks!!!!

I tried to post yesterday and my message also went to cyber space.

Roz, I am so sorry to hear the news about Brenda. I am not good with words but sure feel your pain. Hugs to you and Horty. I am sure Brenny is running around with Morey and maybe even my dog Rhonda. Sending extra Hugs to you. So nice that the Vet made that plaster cast for you---wish mine would have done that----we lost Rhonda while we were on a cruise. Bad news to come back too.

Quam, I am so sorry to hear about your dog----hugs to you too. I know this is a hard time when our babies are not well. Thoughts and hugs for you to get through these coming weeks.

Trudy, thank you so much. I can't even imagine coming home to such news. That would be "over the top" devastating.

I'm grateful for the way that I could handle Brenny's passing. But then she was my "Brenny Full of Grace!"

It was a day off of work.

I had had a full night's sleep.

She didn't utter a sound to wake me and gave me the entire day to spend with her and talk things out and just be with her.

There's no way to make this easier but I'll be eternally grateful to the Vet who cared for her in Brenny's home and for the peaceful, loving way that her life came to a close.

Today I dropped Horty off at the groomers [one of Brenny's favorite places] and that was hard.

As I get through all the hard stuff - LIKE, GOING HOME FROM WORK AND WALKING IN THE DOOR, WITHOUT HER TO GREET US - I'm realizing what a roll she played in my everyday, mundane life!!!! Wow! She was a huge part of what makes up me!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Quam, how's your girl doing? What will be the prognosis for her?

Everyone, have a sweet and loving Valentine's Day. If you have a furbaby.....hug her/him so hard that they actually pull away from you to save themselves from you. I do it all the time until they squirm and say, "let go of me already!" [i just know that's what they're saying!]

Thank you all for the kind words! I apologize for not replying individually, but I just wanted to come on here quickly tonight to say two things:

1. We have an appointment at a veterinary oncology center in a nearby town on Tuesday, so we will find out more then. She can't eat before the appointment in case they want to do more tests that day. She is doing well, though; you would never know something is wrong. She had a great Valentine's Day, as not only did she get the toy I got for her (stuffed elephant head and arms holding the blanket that makes up the rest of the toy, with, "BIG HUGS," embroidered on it in a heart), but the cooling bed I ordered for her came today, as did her Bark Box (and the toy in that is funny - it is a long, brown braided rope toy, no knotted/frayed ends, and has a label towards one end that says it is a "Cuban Stoggie"!).

2. Have you guys seen the TV ads for the new NBC show about the blind father? One ad really hits home when he is (what looks to be) checking into a hotel and the guy tells him," We don't allow dogs." He tells the man the dog is his guide dog (which is true). The guy says, "No pets! Did you see the sign?" The father says, matter-of-factly, "No, I did not." LOL! Isn't that just what we all have gone through with our service dogs! I have to watch that show! It is called "Growing Up Fisher". It begins after the Olympics. (By the way, the Paralympics are finally getting some TV coverage this year!)

Thank you all for the kind words! I apologize for not replying individually, but I just wanted to come on here quickly tonight to say two things:

1. We have an appointment at a veterinary oncology center in a nearby town on Tuesday, so we will find out more then. She can't eat before the appointment in case they want to do more tests that day. She is doing well, though; you would never know something is wrong. She had a great Valentine's Day, as not only did she get the toy I got for her (stuffed elephant head and arms holding the blanket that makes up the rest of the toy, with, "BIG HUGS," embroidered on it in a heart), but the cooling bed I ordered for her came today, as did her Bark Box (and the toy in that is funny - it is a long, brown braided rope toy, no knotted/frayed ends, and has a label towards one end that says it is a "Cuban Stoggie"!).

2. Have you guys seen the TV ads for the new NBC show about the blind father? One ad really hits home when he is (what looks to be) checking into a hotel and the guy tells him," We don't allow dogs." He tells the man the dog is his guide dog (which is true). The guy says, "No pets! Did you see the sign?" The father says, matter-of-factly, "No, I did not." LOL! Isn't that just what we all have gone through with our service dogs! I have to watch that show! It is called "Growing Up Fisher". It begins after the Olympics. (By the way, the Paralympics are finally getting some TV coverage this year!)

You're such a great mom. Your dog is very lucky to have you and, of course, you to have her.

Please keep us in the loop about her prognosis. I'm sending my very best wishes for everything to go well for her.

I haven't had much T.V. time in the past few months. I love anything that has to do with dogs or animals in general and especially guide, Service/Working dogs.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I know that Cindy, John & Wexy are on a glorious cruise ship. She'll be very upset to hear about Brenny.

She first came on this blog when one of her babies passed and we all shared a tear over that. Then she lost another one and went on the waiting list at CCI for Wexy. She's been through this a lot. She'll totally understand what I'm feeling. And what Qaum's going through.

You are right, I'm very upset. I'm so so sorry Roz. Crying my eyes out. We have all been through alot on this board and we have eachother to pull us through. I wish you had told me because I feel I wasn't here for you. I could have worried about you and my mom at the same time. I was a wreck until I got to talk to her on day 3, then I felt better.

Brenda couldn't have had a better life. You and Morey gave her everything. I was telling my guys that my next life I want to come back as Wex. He has a wonderful life, and is spoiled beyond belief. I'm sure Morey is thrilled to have his Brenda with him. You were so lucky to have her for almost 15 years. My first lab made it 15 years and the other 2 only til 12. Certainly not long enough. Both our 2 went very quickly which I consider a blessing.

You know that Bailee had a tumor that burst and a few hours later she was gone. It sounds like the same thing happened to Brenny.

My heart is with you and I'm sending "BIG HUGS" your way. Love you my friend.

You are right, I'm very upset. I'm so so sorry Roz. Crying my eyes out. We have all been through alot on this board and we have eachother to pull us through. I wish you had told me because I feel I wasn't here for you. I could have worried about you and my mom at the same time. I was a wreck until I got to talk to her on day 3, then I felt better.

Brenda couldn't have had a better life. You and Morey gave her everything. I was telling my guys that my next life I want to come back as Wex. He has a wonderful life, and is spoiled beyond belief. I'm sure Morey is thrilled to have his Brenda with him. You were so lucky to have her for almost 15 years. My first lab made it 15 years and the other 2 only til 12. Certainly not long enough. Both our 2 went very quickly which I consider a blessing.

You know that Bailee had a tumor that burst and a few hours later she was gone. It sounds like the same thing happened to Brenny.

My heart is with you and I'm sending "BIG HUGS" your way. Love you my friend.

Love you too Cindy. It's been a very, very difficult week. As if losing my Brenny wasn't enough. My son-in-laws mother fell, broke her hip and went into cardiac arrest on Thursday. The funeral is today. Enough, up there, enough!

I look for Miss "B" everyday. She was such a huge part of my life every single day. Horton lays in his bed, in the living room, and stares at Brenny's couch. I wonder what's running through his mind. I try not to interrupt his thoughts so he can have his moment to remember her too.

I bought Horton a new toy and I lay it on the floor before I leave with him to work. Now he runs in the door and goes for his new toy, instead of looking for Brenny to romp with.

I do get down on the floor and just hug and scratch his tummy more than usual. I know he's sad too.

Thanks for the big hugs, they're very welcomed and needed.

Did you enjoy your cruise? Tell us a about it.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Welcome home Cindy----hope you enjoyed your cruise. Didn't see you sail---way too late for me. Hope you didn't have any more delays during your week on the Cruise. Looked for you in Key West but no luck.

Hope your mom is doing OK .

Yes, tell us about your cruise, after you have rested and caught up on a 100 things.

Regards to John and Lee and Of course Wex.

I finally got my packing done, just a few little things till Sat. and then we are off on the Carnival Dream.

Good grief, Roz. I try and know in the fact that our Heavenly Father has a plan for all of us. It is hard to not wonder about what He has in mind with some of the plans. I am so sorry for your family right now. It just isn't fair at times. Hugs to you and your son-in-law, daughter and the kids.

Welcome home Cindy----hope you enjoyed your cruise. Didn't see you sail---way too late for me. Hope you didn't have any more delays during your week on the Cruise. Looked for you in Key West but no luck.

Yes, tell us about your cruise, after you have rested and caught up on a 100 things.

I finally got my packing done, just a few little things till Sat. and then we are off on the Carnival Dream.

Trudy, I forgot to ask how your show went. Have a wonderful and relaxing cruise.

Time is going so quickly. In some ways that's such a relief and in other ways I do wish it would slow down a bit so the good things aren't swallowed up so quickly.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Good grief, Roz. I try and know in the fact that our Heavenly Father has a plan for all of us. It is hard to not wonder about what He has in mind with some of the plans. I am so sorry for your family right now. It just isn't fair at times. Hugs to you and your son-in-law, daughter and the kids.

Nancy, thank you so much. The children are down here, in L.A. That's the good thing through all of the sadness, we're all together. The kids all miss Brenny so much. She would not let anyone sit on her couch without her sitting right next to you. And, we all miss that bossy little girl.

My SIL's mom was sick and I think her children all felt that she wouldn't survive. But, it doesn't make it any easier. She was so proud that she had hit the big milestone of 80 years and was now 81. Boy, life just comes along and smacks you in your place!

Love you too Cindy. It's been a very, very difficult week. As if losing my Brenny wasn't enough. My son-in-laws mother fell, broke her hip and went into cardiac arrest on Thursday. The funeral is today. Enough, up there, enough!

I look for Miss "B" everyday. She was such a huge part of my life every single day. Horton lays in his bed, in the living room, and stares at Brenny's couch. I wonder what's running through his mind. I try not to interrupt his thoughts so he can have his moment to remember her too.

I bought Horton a new toy and I lay it on the floor before I leave with him to work. Now he runs in the door and goes for his new toy, instead of looking for Brenny to romp with.

I do get down on the floor and just hug and scratch his tummy more than usual. I know he's sad too.

Thanks for the big hugs, they're very welcomed and needed.

Did you enjoy your cruise? Tell us a about it.

Geez Roz, enough is enough!!!!! From now on, only good news on this thread! :mad:

When my Miss B went, Wex was very sad. You could just see it in his eyes. He got over it after a while. It was very helpful to have another dog in the house at the time. It doesn't feel so empty and you still have the other dog to concentrate on.

We didn't sail until 11:24. We were asleep by then. LOL They just went faster and there was no other itinerary changes. Weather was great. Food was great. No problems except for our transfers after the cruise. On the last day when we got our time we would have to be off the ship, it said 8:00-8:15. Yeah right, like thats gonna happen. Well John fought with the front desk and they kept telling him that the bus with the lift could only be there at that time. He went back again later to see if they got in touch with the shore people and they weren't answering their emails. :mad: So we get up and some ridiculous hour for John to be ready. We get off at 8:15, get to the bus area. Oh and guess what?? Oh no bus, what a shocker! So now we have to wait til they call a small hp van to come get us, which they could have called at any time! :mad: UGH!! And our flight wasn't leaving til 12:20. So there we are at the airport at 8:45. Goody.

We decided to go outside and sit near the dog potty area. There was a police car parked next to where we were sitting. Alittle while later, here comes the cop. He looks at Wex and says "is that a Canine Companions vest" of course we say yes. Well come to find out, his daughter is puppy raising a CCI dog. She is doing it for her Girl Scout badge. We talked to him for about an hour and he took video of Wex doing advance training commands to show her daughter. Small world!! He was so nice. And it killed some time.

So we talked to a couple on the cruise and are thinking of skipping our January cruise and doing Alaska in the summer or September. I'm just thinking, mostly about the flight! LOL I checked the airline and they have a direct flight to Seattle. Thats going to be ALOT of thinking. We are also thinking about New England cruise, and we won't have to fly! :D Thats my choice! :D

Hope you have a great cruise!!! I forgot you were going this week.

Geez Roz, enough is enough!!!!! From now on, only good news on this thread! :mad:

When my Miss B went, Wex was very sad. You could just see it in his eyes. He got over it after a while. It was very helpful to have another dog in the house at the time. It doesn't feel so empty and you still have the other dog to concentrate on.

With all the work that goes into our dogs, I can't imagine my life without one in it. I'm so glad that I got the opportunity to have Brenny for the two years that Horton was growing into our family. She helped him a lot. As goofy as he is, she tried to show him what true grace from a dog means.

And, she certainly helped me to realize what devotion and love is from a Service Dog. What a joy and a pleasure it was to know the genius of Brenda Elizabeth. The devotion and heartfelt, purity of these dogs just blows me away. They're the most unselfish beings on Gods green earth. Even when they're the biggest, goofiest goobers, they'll work and work and work, if you let them!

Wouldn't you know it---- after a year------I get an e mail from CCI this week, about a release dog. Of course it is not a good time this week. I wanted to cancel my cruise. :eek: Wex, he looked just like you. Now, I will be on the waiting list again. CCI is doing it different here in Orlando now----any time there is a release dog, they send an e mail to everyone on the list and you get in touch with them and it goes from there. So, I don't know when the next release is. I hope soon or after this cruise, we might have to go and find a dog------we miss ours and now have the time.

Yes Cindy, we sail on Saturday out of Port Canaveral. If I make it on deck, I probably will be up near the smoke stack but will probably be on our Balcony and it is on the Port side, so the camera will not see us. Glad you had a good cruise and the weather was nice, we are hoping for the same. I tried watching for you at Sloppy Joes, they have an outside and inside web cam----but I didn't see you when I was looking and don't know if you even got down that way. Sometimes you can see the pier right at the ship but of course they were not showing that area when you were there.

Thanks Roz---I had a good Art Show. It is always fun for me. I will try posting a picture but not in this note. I lost the last note when I tried to post the picture. If I can figure it out, it will be in another note.

Quam----hope things are going well with you.

Hi everyone else----hope your week is going good too.

Wouldn't you know it---- after a year------I get an e mail from CCI this week, about a release dog. Of course it is not a good time this week. I wanted to cancel my cruise. :eek: Wex, he looked just like you. Now, I will be on the waiting list again. CCI is doing it different here in Orlando now----any time there is a release dog, they send an e mail to everyone on the list and you get in touch with them and it goes from there. So, I don't know when the next release is. I hope soon or after this cruise, we might have to go and find a dog------we miss ours and now have the time.

Yes Cindy, we sail on Saturday out of Port Canaveral. If I make it on deck, I probably will be up near the smoke stack but will probably be on our Balcony and it is on the Port side, so the camera will not see us. Glad you had a good cruise and the weather was nice, we are hoping for the same. I tried watching for you at Sloppy Joes, they have an outside and inside web cam----but I didn't see you when I was looking and don't know if you even got down that way. Sometimes you can see the pier right at the ship but of course they were not showing that area when you were there.

Thanks Roz---I had a good Art Show. It is always fun for me. I will try posting a picture but not in this note. I lost the last note when I tried to post the picture. If I can figure it out, it will be in another note.

Quam----hope things are going well with you.

Hi everyone else----hope your week is going good too.

Released dogs are a true commodity down here in L.A. Some folks are on the Waiting List for a very long time.

The chance to get a Released Dog from CCI who may have one little quirk that kept him from graduating, but still has some pretty fantastic training under his belt, is quite a gift. They'll have no trouble finding a good home for the dog.

Can't wait to see your art work. And, again, have a great cruise.

Released dogs are a true commodity down here in L.A. Some folks are on the Waiting List for a very long time.

The chance to get a Released Dog from CCI who may have one little quirk that kept him from graduating, but still has some pretty fantastic training under his belt, is quite a gift. They'll have no trouble finding a good home for the dog.

Can't wait to see your art work. And, again, have a great cruise.

Thanks Roz----two pictures posted--one on a feather and the other on a canvas.