Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Roz, I am so sorry for your loss .... It's just one thing after another. As Cindy says, enough now. 2014 needs to get its act together and fast! How are you doing .... I think about you and Horton often - :)

DKD - how's that gorgeous boy Davis doing? Any more news on Ocho?

Colleen - are you well? How's Misty? And Oz, still enjoying his retirement?

Cindy - have you been to Alaska before? It's truly wonderful and I would go back in a heart beat. Glad you had a great cruise, apart from disembarkation! When we arrived in Miami last year, we had to be down to collect our passports and go through immigration at 0600!!!! That meant we were up at 0500! Yikes! To say I was less than impressed would be a lie! :eek: It is bad enough leaving a cruise ship, without the, "here's your hat, what's your hurry" carry on!

Sending everyone who needs them BIG hugs - mind you I did rather like Bug hugs too! LOL!

:eek:

Roz, I am so sorry for your loss .... It's just one thing after another. As Cindy says, enough now. 2014 needs to get its act together and fast! How are you doing .... I think about you and Horton often - :)

DKD - how's that gorgeous boy Davis doing? Any more news on Ocho?

Colleen - are you well? How's Misty? And Oz, still enjoying his retirement?

Cindy - have you been to Alaska before? It's truly wonderful and I would go back in a heart beat. Glad you had a great cruise, apart from disembarkation! When we arrived in Miami last year, we had to be down to collect our passports and go through immigration at 0600!!!! That meant we were up at 0500! Yikes! To say I was less than impressed would be a lie! :eek: It is bad enough leaving a cruise ship, without the, "here's your hat, what's your hurry" carry on!

Sending everyone who needs them BIG hugs - mind you I did rather like Bug hugs too! LOL!

Thank you Fairbourne, thank goodness for my job. It keeps me so busy I don't have time to dwell on the sadness. I'm done! And, I'm ready [in my head, not so much my heart] to move forward and enjoy life and living it!

Horty is such a character and reminds me to "shape-up" every day. I got him a big duck [dog toy] that makes a sound just like a duck. I put it on the floor every morning right before we leave for work. When we come home, instead of him looking for Brenny, I tell him to look for "ducky!" He loves it and it's a great diversion. That is, of course, until he tears it to shreads. What a dork! I'll give him a new toy then come back into the room, only to find the stuffings all over the floor and him with the "dead toy" in his mouth. I make sure I don't leave my shoes anywhere for him to find them!!!! :eek:

Horton certainly makes my days interesting! Sometimes I wonder how this dog ever got through "advanced training!" :rolleyes: Ha! Ha! Just kidding!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Good Morning All----sending Hugs. Hope you have a great day.

fairbourne---Hope to have a great time on the cruise----about 10 of us are going. I do love my art and it sure takes any stress away. Yes, I do sell my art. The Hawk at the Art Show, I liked that one the best. :)

Roz--Thanks--hope your day is a good one.

DKD----Keep up the good work. Wish I could puppy raise, but I wouldn't be able to give the puppy back.

Good Morning All----sending Hugs. Hope you have a great day.

fairbourne---Hope to have a great time on the cruise----about 10 of us are going. I do love my art and it sure takes any stress away. Yes, I do sell my art. The Hawk at the Art Show, I liked that one the best. :)

Roz--Thanks--hope your day is a good one.

DKD----Keep up the good work. Wish I could puppy raise, but I wouldn't be able to give the puppy back.

Trudy, when you do something that includes a "Black Lab" in the piece of art, please take pictures of it. I may want it.

I have [with no exaggeration] at least, 50 formal pictures of Brenda on her many cruises [Horton is on his way to his collection of them too]. I'm so lucky to have so many wonderful pictures of my girl, at every stage of her long and illustrious life.

I have not been able to go through her many albums yet! My emotions are so raw right now, that just this writing has provoked my broken and tear filled heart!!!!!

Trudy, have a wonderful cruise and share some pictures of it with us, later.

So, we had a great appointment on Tuesday with one of the oncologists at the oncology hospital. She explained all the options, including prognosis and cost for each, and answered all our questions and everything. The best choice was to do chemo and they did the first treatment at the end of the appointment. Every Tuesday for five weeks (including this first treatment) she will have chemo, which is a combination of drugs (oral, injection, and IV), then it will go to every other week for the remaining time of eighteen weeks (should all go as expected). They first give Benedryl and wait ten minutes before giving the chemo to prevent any possible allergic reactions (which is rare), plus observe them for ten minutes after chemo to make sure no reaction happens. This first one was pretty quick, as it was just an injection, but they said the other appointments will take an hour. She is on prednisone once daily (a dose that will be tapered down to nothing over the course of several weeks) and an antibiotic this first week. I also started her on the supplement K-9 Immunity, made for dogs with cancer, with the oncologist's permission.

Dogs don't typically get as sick as humans do from chemo, but if they do, it happens three to four days after treatment. My dog is doing just fine so far after two-and-a-half days, so hopefully it remains that way! Surprisingly, the oncologist said she can still work, but there might be some days when she doesn't feel quite up to it. She is still healing from the cyst removal surgery (one was right where her mobility harness goes, hence why I had it removed) anyway, so will only be doing light work for the time being.

Chemo is definitely not cheap, but not doing it only gives an expected couple of months at best, so it certainly wasn't an option to not do it!

Trudle - you have an amazing talent - I wish I could see the hawk feather in real life! It's incredible :). Do you sell your art?

Have a fabulous cruise ... Enjoy and come back and tell us all about it! :D

I am lucky enough to have 2 of Trudys works of art. A feather of Wexler and a painting of palm trees and a beach. She is an awesome artist and I proudly display them in my home. :D

So, we had a great appointment on Tuesday with one of the oncologists at the oncology hospital. She explained all the options, including prognosis and cost for each, and answered all our questions and everything. The best choice was to do chemo and they did the first treatment at the end of the appointment. Every Tuesday for five weeks (including this first treatment) she will have chemo, which is a combination of drugs (oral, injection, and IV), then it will go to every other week for the remaining time of eighteen weeks (should all go as expected). They first give Benedryl and wait ten minutes before giving the chemo to prevent any possible allergic reactions (which is rare), plus observe them for ten minutes after chemo to make sure no reaction happens. This first one was pretty quick, as it was just an injection, but they said the other appointments will take an hour. She is on prednisone once daily (a dose that will be tapered down to nothing over the course of several weeks) and an antibiotic this first week. I also started her on the supplement K-9 Immunity, made for dogs with cancer, with the oncologist's permission.

Dogs don't typically get as sick as humans do from chemo, but if they do, it happens three to four days after treatment. My dog is doing just fine so far after two-and-a-half days, so hopefully it remains that way! Surprisingly, the oncologist said she can still work, but there might be some days when she doesn't feel quite up to it. She is still healing from the cyst removal surgery (one was right where her mobility harness goes, hence why I had it removed) anyway, so will only be doing light work for the time being.

Chemo is definitely not cheap, but not doing it only gives an expected couple of months at best, so it certainly wasn't an option to not do it!

Quam, Wishing you the best for you and your dog. Our pets are our lives and we certainly don't want to see anything bad happen to them. Please keep us updated.

Quam, I'm sending you and your hard working and very brave girl a huge hug. Thank you Quam for doing everything you can to make your girls life a healthy and happy one. What we won't do for the dogs who give us so much back in return. To know that she would only have a few months to live if you didn't do this is just unthinkable!

Please keep us in the loop as to how the treatments are going.

Here's pics of both pieces Trudy did for us.

Wow! I sent Trudy a picture of my Brenny. Even if it's a formal picture, it's so hard to capture a Black Labs true expressions. But, the formal pictures are so much fun to have because you know where they came from. People think that all Black Labs look alike.......that's so untrue. Brenda and Horton looked nothing alike.

Every time I look at my avatar.....there she is; my Brenny. What a character. She was only about 1 1/2 years old then. The picture was taken at CCI, while she was in training.

She was such a "Marley" when she was a pup. She chewed the siding off of her Puppy Raisers garage. She thought that it was her personal job to greet everyone she came in contact with; dog and people alike. She embarrassed me all the time. I loved that little monkey so much!

I used to call her "Petunia Picklebottom" and we both got so used to the name that she'd come to me when I call her by that name too!!!!

CCI knew who they were giving this dog to, we were a perfect match and they knew it!!!! I was the only one who wasn't so sure!

Every time I look at my avatar.....there she is; my Brenny. What a character. She was only about 1 1/2 years old then. The picture was taken at CCI, while she was in training.

She was such a "Marley" when she was a pup. She chewed the siding off of her Puppy Raisers garage. She thought that it was her personal job to greet everyone she came in contact with; dog and people alike. She embarrassed me all the time. I loved that little monkey so much!

I used to call her "Petunia Picklebottom" and we both got so used to the name that she'd come to me when I call her by that name too!!!!

CCI knew who they were giving this dog to, we were a perfect match and they knew it!!!! I was the only one who wasn't so sure!

It's so sad when one of our babies go. You know I feel so sad about Brenny. CCI does an incredible job matching up these dogs.

We used to call Rangeley "poopalakis". I don't know where that came from but he used to answer to it. LOL We always have goofy names for our dogs.

Things will get better. I promise. :D