Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I think he's thinking "mmmmm, think that's enough food Mum????" :D;)

I actually packed more food this year because of the Carnival ship getting stranded. He sat and grunted the whole time.

Have a wonderful trip Cindy and John and Wex and Lee. Are you leaving earlier? Too bad I live three hours from the port, you could stay here, so you don't miss that ship. You can come anyway if you are leaving early and need a place to stay=====just have to get up earlier and leave for Ft. Lauderdale.

I love the picture of Wex, glad you posted it. Hopefully I will be home Sunday to see you sail. Do you leave at 4 or 5pm?

Glad your mom is doing well. Now there is no reason that you cant have Fun, Fun, Fun.:D

Every year we think about going down early. Johns mom is down there too. But the boys can't take off any more time for work :(

I think we leave at 4pm but not sure.

Edited by rangeley

We are tossing around a trip to South Dakota this summer. I've been there before, about half a lifetime ago, but my husband and kids have not. I pulled up the Badlands info on the National Park Service website. Service dogs are allowed except in areas with prairie dog colonies because of chance of disease. The prairie dogs are one thing I clearly remember from my trip 20+ years ago.

Have any of you been the South Dakota with your dogs? If so, how did you handle this?

We are tossing around a trip to South Dakota this summer. I've been there before, about half a lifetime ago, but my husband and kids have not. I pulled up the Badlands info on the National Park Service website. Service dogs are allowed except in areas with prairie dog colonies because of chance of disease. The prairie dogs are one thing I clearly remember from my trip 20+ years ago.

Have any of you been the South Dakota with your dogs? If so, how did you handle this?

Never been there. But, I, too, have heard other SD handlers talk about the fact that when they go camping with their SD's that they stay clear of areas where there are prairie dog's or other animals that might be a threat to their dogs.

We were in South Dakota last August (not with a dog, but in an RV overnighting inside the park.) It's well worth doing! Nearby is the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site where you can ride a small elevator (6 people at a time) down to the Command Center ... where two men waited 24/7/365 for launch codes.

The Roberts Prairie Dog Town is actually a good many miles away from all the pullouts for viewing Badlands NP's wonderful scenic formations, and there's nothing much at the Prairie Dog area worth doing other than hopping out to take a few photos of the little rascals off in the distance. No visitor facilities there. Really more of a drive-by en route to Wall Drug.

I wouldn't hesitate to take a dog, but would consider keeping her in the car there when you/your driver pulls over to snap the photos.

You'll also find a prairie dog village if you drive the Wildlife Loop in Custer State Park, along with so many other animals..pronghorns, bison galore, big horn sheep, etc. That's one of the best state parks I've ever seen, a great base for seeing Mt. Rushmore, Wind Cave, Jewel Cave, much more.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

We were in South Dakota last August (not with a dog, but in an RV overnighting inside the park.) It's well worth doing! Nearby is the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site where you can ride a small elevator (6 people at a time) down to the Command Center ... where two men waited 24/7/365 for launch codes.

The Roberts Prairie Dog Town is actually a good many miles away from all the pullouts for viewing Badlands NP's wonderful scenic formations, and there's nothing much at the Prairie Dog area worth doing other than hopping out to take a few photos of the little rascals off in the distance. No visitor facilities there. Really more of a drive-by en route to Wall Drug.

I wouldn't hesitate to take a dog, but would consider keeping her in the car there when you/your driver pulls over to snap the photos.

You'll also find a prairie dog village if you drive the Wildlife Loop in Custer State Park, along with so many other animals..pronghorns, bison galore, big horn sheep, etc. That's one of the best state parks I've ever seen, a great base for seeing Mt. Rushmore, Wind Cave, Jewel Cave, much more.

It sounds so inviting. When my husband and I were much younger we took the children on a cross-country journey in our RV. We spent 5 1/2 months on the road and he worked in various oil refineries along the way. We never made it to the Dakota's and I really wanted to see the Amish country in PA but I loved seeing the U.S. and all that we have to offer.

Mt. Rushmore is on my "Bucket List!"

Thanks to everyone for their "Bon Voyages" and well wishes. I picked up Lee last night and mom is all set with what she needs. Our flight is at 740am so we will be up and out early. Anyone whos not doing anything at 4pm tomorrow can maybe see us on the port everglades cam. Our cabin is all the way to the front about 3 or 4 decks up. We will be waving!! :D Wex will be sleeping on the bed cuz he hates the balcony and won't go out there. Wuss!!!

Home from my Art Show, now I can watch Cindy sail. Hope she is on the port side of the ship. she is sailing out of Port Everglades-----if anyone is lurking.

A long day for me but rewarding. :D Hope your weekend was great.

It is 10:30pm and Cindy's ship is still in port. I can't find the reason why. Has anyone heard anything?

This was posted on the sailaway thread at 11:17pm ET:

My daughter is a crew member on Eurodam. She said they are working on the bow thrusters.

I can't really tell on my iPod Touch but it looks like the Eurodam is now leaving.

I waited until this evening to write because it's been a nightmare.

How our dogs can change at the blink of an eye simply stupefies me. On Friday night Brenda and Horton were romping and playing in circles on the living room floor. Brenda took her chew treat, went potty and acted perfectly normal. On Saturday morning she wouldn't eat and couldn't stand. She was laying on the living room floor, panting and continuously staring at me. I immediately called the Vets office and asked for a home care Vet to come. There's no way I can pick Brenda up myself and, with all the prompting I could muster, she couldn't stand. I knew she needed a doctor now!

A hospice Vet came very quickly. She examined her and told me that Brenda had a 103 fever, very weak heart beat and upon examination of her stomach she had concluded that Brenda had a large tumor resting on either her pancreas or liver. Quickly, it had caused an infection which brought on her fever and malaise causing her heart to become weak. The Vet said that at Brenda's age it would be unfair to put her on I.V. and transport her to a hospital where the only solution would be surgery and she probably would not do well with anesthesia.

A decision needed to be made for my partner of 12 years who became my dearest and most precious friend. Brenda was allowed to go to sleep at 5:15pm on Saturday, February 8th. She was then picked-up by S.O.P.H.I.E [save Our Pets History In Eternity], they are a cemetery who do cremations. Brenda will be cremated and she will come home to me on Monday.

My only comfort in my loss of Brenda, is the way that her end of life was treated and that she could be at home, with me and Horton and could have her final sleep in as much comfort as I could provide her.

Dear Brenda, I will miss you and will remember how you brought me out of the darkness and back into life. Thank you Brenda Elizabeth, I'll love you Forever and For Always, Rest In Peace.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I have enjoyed reading about the transition in Brenda's life, from service animal to retirement. We lost our cat of 13 years in the last year. In less than two hours he went from perfect health, to slight non alarming symptoms, to critical before we could find a vet open at 11:30 p.m. on a Sunday night. Although he was not a service animal he helped my DH through four surgeries, 3 radioactive iodine treatments, chemo and radiation. My prayers are with you.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I have enjoyed reading about the transition in Brenda's life, from service animal to retirement. We lost our cat of 13 years in the last year. In less than two hours he went from perfect health, to slight non alarming symptoms, to critical before we could find a vet open at 11:30 p.m. on a Sunday night. Although he was not a service animal he helped my DH through four surgeries, 3 radioactive iodine treatments, chemo and radiation. My prayers are with you.

Thank you so much and I, too, am sorry for the loss of your beloved cat. The love that we have for our dogs and cats is immeasurable and what they give back to us, with absolutely no regard for themselves goes beyond the pale. Brenda and I did so much together. She was by my side every single day for more than 14 years as we worked and played together as one!

I truly can't imagine my life without her in it. She was such a comfort to me. She was such a wonderful friend and solid working partner. My respect and love for her will be in my memory bank for the rest of my life.

The Vet told me to hold, comfort and love Horton more than usual for the week because he will feel her loss in his life too!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Dear Roz

I can hardly breathe writing this .... My heart is breaking for you. We knew this day would come, but not just yet.

Brenda Elizabeth, you will never know just how much joy you gave to so many all over the world .... You were a trail blazer and you set the pace for those with service/assistance dogs to learn so much from your cruising travels and your experiences that your mum was able to share.

Horton will sorely miss his pal, and I'm sure mum's hugs will help lots - they do grieve in their own way. He will be out of sorts for a bit.

Roz, Brenda could not have had a better life, she was adored by you and Morey and no-one could have been a truer stalwart than she.

Rest in peace dear Brenda, we did not know you, but you have a special place in all our hearts dear girl.

Big comforting hugs to you Roz ...... And to Big H.

Dear Roz, my eyes filled with tears when I read your post. You will be in my thoughts and prayers, and I know you will never forget your beloved Brenda. Horton will know he has an extra role to play in your life from now on. I am so glad she was living a happy life until very shortly before her time came, and had minimal suffering. All any of us can hope for. Wishing you comfort and all good memories of your beloved girl.

Chris

Roz, I am so sorry for your loss. I do know with all my heart that there is nobody on the planet that could have given Brenda a better life that you guys. And she did the same for you. Not only did she allow you to live a fuller life but she was also able to educate thousands of people about what a real service dog is. Take time to grieve but be sure to give Horton a little extra TLC. The torch has been officially passed to him. I'm sure Brenda will be watching and maybe even giving Horton a little butt kick if she sees him go off course now and them.

OMG Roz, I can't even see this key board. Brenda Elizabeth fly with the angels and meet your adoring daddy, Morey. My middle name is Elizabeth and it is an honor to share it with you. Your momma could not have loved you any more than she did. I know she is so hurting for the loss of you and daddy. Roz, I am giving you such a cyber hug, it has to be taking your breath away. I love you more than you know. Biggest hugs to Mr. Horty pants. :(

Many of the things you mention are on the to do list. Not sure if we visited the Prairie dog Town in 1991 but I know we saw the rest. I saw the missile site info on the NPS website. I've never been. I might plan one extra "free" day in the area. We typically take a long time to tour sites because I read almost all the info to my husband. I can plan an aggressive site seeing tour but have the extra day to fill in in case we don't get it all in. We may just need to tag team. Thanks for the info.

Dear Roz

I can hardly breathe writing this .... My heart is breaking for you. We knew this day would come, but not just yet.

Brenda Elizabeth, you will never know just how much joy you gave to so many all over the world .... You were a trail blazer and you set the pace for those with service/assistance dogs to learn so much from your cruising travels and your experiences that your mum was able to share.

Horton will sorely miss his pal, and I'm sure mum's hugs will help lots - they do grieve in their own way. He will be out of sorts for a bit.

Roz, Brenda could not have had a better life, she was adored by you and Morey and no-one could have been a truer stalwart than she.

Rest in peace dear Brenda, we did not know you, but you have a special place in all our hearts dear girl.

Big comforting hugs to you Roz ...... And to Big H.

Thank you so much. Your words are a great comfort to me. You know, I think of you as being right here in my living room and not thousands of miles away. You're so right about Brenny touching so many people "all over the world!"

She was magic to me and knowing that her story of travels brought joy and knowledge to others gives her life that much more meaning.

Dear Roz, my eyes filled with tears when I read your post. You will be in my thoughts and prayers, and I know you will never forget your beloved Brenda. Horton will know he has an extra role to play in your life from now on. I am so glad she was living a happy life until very shortly before her time came, and had minimal suffering. All any of us can hope for. Wishing you comfort and all good memories of your beloved girl.

Chris

Thank you for your thoughtful and kind words. Beloved is what she truly was!

Roz, I am so sorry for your loss. I do know with all my heart that there is nobody on the planet that could have given Brenda a better life that you guys. And she did the same for you. Not only did she allow you to live a fuller life but she was also able to educate thousands of people about what a real service dog is. Take time to grieve but be sure to give Horton a little extra TLC. The torch has been officially passed to him. I'm sure Brenda will be watching and maybe even giving Horton a little butt kick if she sees him go off course now and them.

Thank you for ALWAYS being there! And for your loving words. You're so right, she did teach many people all over the world me included. She was a genius at being a Service Dog.

I will remember to hug my boy he's a bit "off" and I totally understand. We fell asleep together last night with my hand laying on his neck. I'm home today, I just couldn't face the day at work.

Today I'm going to pick Brenda's ashes up and bring her home. The cemetery will take a paw print for me. It's all so unbelievable.

I know you've been through this as have so many others. Our dogs lives are way too short but so perfect. I can't imagine my life without her.

OMG Roz, I can't even see this key board. Brenda Elizabeth fly with the angels and meet your adoring daddy, Morey. My middle name is Elizabeth and it is an honor to share it with you. Your momma could not have loved you any more than she did. I know she is so hurting for the loss of you and daddy. Roz, I am giving you such a cyber hug, it has to be taking your breath away. I love you more than you know. Biggest hugs to Mr. Horty pants. :(

Nancy, I'm so sad and can't stop crying. Thank you honey for being such a source of comfort to all of us. Through your troubles you always shine through for us. We're lucky to have you with us.

I loved her so much and I knew this day was coming and tried so hard to prepare myself. Trust me when I say, there is no preparation for the loss that makes it right, except having the phone numbers to call for the home Vet visit, her burial and what I was going to do in the end made the world of difference when the time did come. There is no rational thinking when you're faced with the decisions that MUST be made so that you're not questioning yourself later.

Thank you so much Nancy for being such a wonderful friend. I love you too!