Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hope everyone is just busy. Have a great week.

Nancy, Cindy is just 3 weeks away from a cruise. She has to pack and prepare for three people and one big, handsome dog. I don't admire her packing list. But, then again, how sorry can you feel for someone who's going to be boarding a 5 Star Floating Hotel.......Not too many tears here!

I hope we've answered most of the inquiries about Cruising with your Service Dog.

If there's still some lingering doubts or questions fire away!

Considering L.A. is expecting 80 degree weather this week, I hope that our eastern friends are doing well! You guys were really hit with a blast of "cold" this winter!

Hi everyone - just catching up with all the news! :D

Rangeley - I hate the packing stage - it's a pain in the you know what - I always seem to take too much stuff! And we girls always seem to get everyone elses to do as well! ;)

Caribbean Chris - that's fabulous news about your "soon to arrive" hearing dog - exciting times ahead for you! :). Looking forward to another cutie like Misty and Oz!

Roz, will you stop mentioning 80 degrees as I sit writing this in front of the log fire! :p. We've had not too bad weather, nothing like the rain and storms with flooding they've had in other parts of the UK, and certainly nothing like the freeze in the US.

DKD - how's the pup doing? He is so cute, loved the snow photos. Had to laugh at running out for pee pees while you were freezing! Know that feeling as girl dog arrived in December!

Hope everyone is well - lots of new year hugs! :D

Fairbourne,

Davis is being a real pain in the A$$. He thinks 4:00 AM is a good time to wake up. :mad: He also hasn't grasped the concept of housebreaking. :confused: We take him out and he will stop and pee. Then we bring him back inside and not long after, he will be walking along while peeing. :eek: We are now restricting his water and taking him out every half hour. :( We don't think it's medical because he can go at least 6 hours at night without going. :o Maybe he is just a slow learner. If it doesn't get better we will check with the vet or put a stamp on his head with a "return to sender" label on him!! :D

Hi everyone - just catching up with all the news! :D

Rangeley - I hate the packing stage - it's a pain in the you know what - I always seem to take too much stuff! And we girls always seem to get everyone elses to do as well! ;)

Caribbean Chris - that's fabulous news about your "soon to arrive" hearing dog - exciting times ahead for you! :). Looking forward to another cutie like Misty and Oz!

Roz, will you stop mentioning 80 degrees as I sit writing this in front of the log fire! :p. We've had not too bad weather, nothing like the rain and storms with flooding they've had in other parts of the UK, and certainly nothing like the freeze in the US.

DKD - how's the pup doing? He is so cute, loved the snow photos. Had to laugh at running out for pee pees while you were freezing! Know that feeling as girl dog arrived in December!

Hope everyone is well - lots of new year hugs! :D

I was really getting worried about you. Glad to hear all's okay! Just the usual winter doldrums!

Fairbourne,

Davis is being a real pain in the A$$. He thinks 4:00 AM is a good time to wake up. :mad: He also hasn't grasped the concept of housebreaking. We take him out and he will stop and pee. Then we bring him back inside and not long after, he will be walking along while peeing. :eek: We are now restricting his water and taking him out every half hour. :( We don't think it's medical because he can go at least 6 hours at night without going. Maybe he is just a slow learner. If it doesn't get better we will check with the vet or put a stamp on his head with a "return to sender" label on him!! :D

Return to sender?? How could you!! :( He's such a cute little baby!! Sorry about his peeing problem, I have the same problem with John! Lmao :D

Fairbourne,

Davis is being a real pain in the A$$. He thinks 4:00 AM is a good time to wake up. :mad: He also hasn't grasped the concept of housebreaking. :confused: We take him out and he will stop and pee. Then we bring him back inside and not long after, he will be walking along while peeing. :eek: We are now restricting his water and taking him out every half hour. :( We don't think it's medical because he can go at least 6 hours at night without going. :o Maybe he is just a slow learner. If it doesn't get better we will check with the vet or put a stamp on his head with a "return to sender" label on him!! :D

Oh! No! Poor Davis, he's just confused about the proper place to pee! That "stamp" idea won't be needed, he'll get it! He's just slow! Of course, it's easy for me to say. I wouldn't do so well with a "dripping" pup!

Fairbourne,

And, 4:00am.......NO WAY!

Nancy, Cindy is just 3 weeks away from a cruise. She has to pack and prepare for three people and one big, handsome dog. I don't admire her packing list. But, then again, how sorry can you feel for someone who's going to be boarding a 5 Star Floating Hotel.......Not too many tears here!

Unfortunately Cindy hasn't packed a thing. I have made a hair appt and thats it! LOL Tomorrow Lee has to go and have his pants hemmed. You would think I was pulling all the teeth out of his head just to get him to go! Men! I have been trying to get him to go for weeks. He finally made an appt for an eye exam so that he can get some new contacts. He's going Wednesday and I have to wait til the next week to order them at Costco, then another week to get them. Geez He thinks I'm gonna pull them out of my a$$. Two weeks ago I asked him to start getting his stuff together so I could wash and iron anything he needed, still hasn't done it. :mad:

John, bought a new suit, since he can't try the pants in the store to see the length, we just told them 34 which is what he usually wears, they also let the jacket out alittle. Brought the suit home months ago, still hasn't tried it on. We don't even know if it fits. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

And people wonder why I get so stressed out.

Just made Wexlers vet appt and now have to call the groomers.

I have thought about doing some packing, but it's to early.

Lately Wexler has been such a pain. He just bothers us constantly. We never know what he wants so we keep taking him out figuring he has to pee. I don't know if it's because he is not getting much exercise. We took him for a walk yesterday and he still bothered us. I think we are treating him too much and thats why he might be hanging around instead of sleeping. It's to the point that we are constantly yelling at him to go to bed. Last night I was ready to lock him in the bedroom. :eek: Any suggestions?? Keep in mind that he doesn't play so that won't work.

Lately Wexler has been such a pain. He just bothers us constantly. We never know what he wants so we keep taking him out figuring he has to pee. I don't know if it's because he is not getting much exercise. We took him for a walk yesterday and he still bothered us. I think we are treating him too much and thats why he might be hanging around instead of sleeping. It's to the point that we are constantly yelling at him to go to bed. Last night I was ready to lock him in the bedroom. :eek: Any suggestions?? Keep in mind that he doesn't play so that won't work.

I'll send Davis up to keep him company and tire him out. Send him back when he is housebroken and sleeps past 4:00AM. :D

Oh! No! It's the male Lab thing. Horton is the same way......he'll nudge me until I get up and get him either a chewy or a rice cake. So, I get his kong, break up a rice cake and some peanut butter, really stuff his kong good with pieces of the rice cake, swirling a little drizzle of peanut butter on it, make sure it's packed tight and he's good for at least a half hour or more.

And, when he's done, he's so tired that he leaves me alone for a good while!

Maybe Wexler is just bored with winter. Gibson gets bored when Diana is sleeping away after seizure episodes. So he goes to the door of my husband's office and woofs at him until he gets up to see what Gibson wants. Occasionally it is to go outside to pee, etc. Other times it is sheer boredom. Yesterday after Diana had got a new cabinet in her room and Gibson's toy box was out where he could pilfer it's contents he grabbed his favorite squishy throwing ring and brought it to my husband in hopes of playing for a while. Poor man has to stop working and throw the ring for him. Of course after a bit of that Gibson thinks he should just sit down and chew on it, which is not okay.

On another note, I am wondering if the person who tried to take Horton from Roz was a dog-flipper. We have had several news stories locally about this. People either steal pedigreed dogs or answer Craigslist ads for free pets. I am going to insert a couple of links to our local news channels. We don't ever let Gibson out unattended even though our yard is fully fenced.

Thanks everyone for all the good stories and ongoing updates!

Beckie

http://www.kctv5.com/story/17214983/experts-warn-dog-flipping-on-the-rise

http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/local_news/dog-flipping-is-big-business-for-criminals

Fairbourne,

Davis is being a real pain in the A$$. He thinks 4:00 AM is a good time to wake up. :mad: He also hasn't grasped the concept of housebreaking. We take him out and he will stop and pee. Then we bring him back inside and not long after, he will be walking along while peeing. We are now restricting his water and taking him out every half hour. We don't think it's medical because he can go at least 6 hours at night without going. :o Maybe he is just a slow learner. If it doesn't get better we will check with the vet or put a stamp on his head with a "return to sender" label on him!! :D

Oh oh .... Almost wish I hadn't asked! ;):). Of course, I imagine he'll be "YOUR" dog when he needs to go out at 4 am! They're always the DH's dogs when this happens in our house! :D

Unfortunately Cindy hasn't packed a thing. I have made a hair appt and thats it! LOL Tomorrow Lee has to go and have his pants hemmed. You would think I was pulling all the teeth out of his head just to get him to go! Men! I have been trying to get him to go for weeks. He finally made an appt for an eye exam so that he can get some new contacts. He's going Wednesday and I have to wait til the next week to order them at Costco, then another week to get them. Geez He thinks I'm gonna pull them out of my a$$. Two weeks ago I asked him to start getting his stuff together so I could wash and iron anything he needed, still hasn't done it. :mad:

John, bought a new suit, since he can't try the pants in the store to see the length, we just told them 34 which is what he usually wears, they also let the jacket out alittle. Brought the suit home months ago, still hasn't tried it on. We don't even know if it fits. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

And people wonder why I get so stressed out.

Just made Wexlers vet appt and now have to call the groomers.

I have thought about doing some packing, but it's to early.

This made me laugh, and I was of course, nodding my head at the same time, about the lack of trying on of suit!!! This happens in our house too!!! Yup, Men!!!

Maybe Wexler is just bored with winter. Gibson gets bored when Diana is sleeping away after seizure episodes. So he goes to the door of my husband's office and woofs at him until he gets up to see what Gibson wants. Occasionally it is to go outside to pee, etc. Other times it is sheer boredom. Yesterday after Diana had got a new cabinet in her room and Gibson's toy box was out where he could pilfer it's contents he grabbed his favorite squishy throwing ring and brought it to my husband in hopes of playing for a while. Poor man has to stop working and throw the ring for him. Of course after a bit of that Gibson thinks he should just sit down and chew on it, which is not okay.

On another note, I am wondering if the person who tried to take Horton from Roz was a dog-flipper. We have had several news stories locally about this. People either steal pedigreed dogs or answer Craigslist ads for free pets. I am going to insert a couple of links to our local news channels. We don't ever let Gibson out unattended even though our yard is fully fenced.

Thanks everyone for all the good stories and ongoing updates!

Beckie

http://www.kctv5.com/story/17214983/experts-warn-dog-flipping-on-the-rise

http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/local_news/dog-flipping-is-big-business-for-criminals

Criminals are so desperate these days! Our beautiful dogs have become a huge commodity.

When I go shopping and people are admiring him, I find myself holding on to his leash a bit more tightly than I used to!!!!

I can remember when my children were little there was always the worry about someone kidnapping them......now, it's my dog!

Well we went yesterday to have Lees pants hemmed. It literally took less than 5 minutes. He still crabbed. So far made vet appt., hair, groomer, and still need to make pedicure. John is still crabbing about his hair and wants to go today for a haircut. I think it's still too early and he should wait another week or so. I usually cut my sons hair but 2 weeks ago it was to late to do it. :confused: So he is going to go to the barber I guess. Whatever. :eek: Maybe tomorrow I will start getting things together. Unlike you LA people, we put our summer clothes away for the winter, so that means dragging out the box under the bed. I'm sure there will be a day or ironing, which I hate!! :mad: I just want to relax :D

Criminals are so desperate these days! Our beautiful dogs have become a huge commodity.

When I go shopping and people are admiring him, I find myself holding on to his leash a bit more tightly than I used to!!!!

I can remember when my children were little there was always the worry about someone kidnapping them......now, it's my dog!

I'm sorry to say that the motto of this country is now "greed". There are too many rich people flaunting their money. No middle class anymore, it's rich or poor. Since they claim only 1% is rich, I guess the rest of us are poor. Everybody wants something for nothing. And these celebrities are just ruining everything. Every time I see some celeb bought a pocket book for a few grand, I think of my last car that cost 3,000 and they are spending it on a purse. I also blame them for ruining it for people with service dogs. They all started bringing their dogs into places and the shop owners wouldn't say a word to them. Now everyone tries to bring their dogs, and legit ones get hassled.

I'm sorry to say that the motto of this country is now "greed". There are too many rich people flaunting their money. No middle class anymore, it's rich or poor. Since they claim only 1% is rich, I guess the rest of us are poor. Everybody wants something for nothing. And these celebrities are just ruining everything. Every time I see some celeb bought a pocket book for a few grand, I think of my last car that cost 3,000 and they are spending it on a purse. I also blame them for ruining it for people with service dogs. They all started bringing their dogs into places and the shop owners wouldn't say a word to them. Now everyone tries to bring their dogs, and legit ones get hassled.

Not to worry. Morey and I bought our first house for $17,500 [price reduction from $20,000], in Encino, CA. because we were putting down the huge deposit of $2,500.00 [which took us 2 years to save.] Try to put that in perspective of what everything costs today!

I stopped trying to make sense of it all a while ago and realize that hard work and a lot of planning is the only way to living a better life!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

So, I'm reading Cruise Critic and my Roll Call page. One of the folks talked about how he got a discount on our upcoming cruise from his TA......I am yet to get a discount from my TA unless I beg for it!

Well, here I go - Begging - I sent off an email to my TA and asked if there's any discounts given for my cruise in April [of which the final payment will be due at the end of this month.] I owe $400. He writes back, "your cruise is paid in full, and you will be getting a refund on your AX card of $300 within 10 business days!"

What? Not that I'm refusing the discount or the money back but seriously, did it have to take an email from me to prompt him to let me know? Or, even worse, for me to even get it?

Geeeezzzz! Guys! $700.00 refund, that's pretty darn nice but would I have received it at all, if I didn't ask for it?

So, I'm reading Cruise Critic and my Roll Call page. One of the folks talked about how he got a discount on our upcoming cruise from his TA......I am yet to get a discount from my TA unless I beg for it!

Well, here I go - Begging - I sent off an email to my TA and asked if there's any discounts given for my cruise in April [of which the final payment will be due at the end of this month.] I owe $400. He writes back, "your cruise is paid in full, and you will be getting a refund on your AX card of $300 within 10 business days!"

What? Not that I'm refusing the discount or the money back but seriously, did it have to take an email from me to prompt him to let me know? Or, even worse, for me to even get it?

Geeeezzzz! Guys! $700.00 refund, that's pretty darn nice but would I have received it at all, if I didn't ask for it?

Great Roz...now your bar bill is covered! :D