Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I would like to thank all who gave me info and encouragement to take Snicker's on his first cruise. He did exceptionaly well. He had never used a potty box but it was not a problem at all. We would like to take a cruise out of Vancouver to Seattle, but am aware that Canada is not ADA compliant. Will I have any problems such as taxis or shuttles or anything I should be aware of. Would appreciate any advise and your experience.

I would like to thank all who gave me info and encouragement to take Snicker's on his first cruise. He did exceptionaly well. He had never used a potty box but it was not a problem at all. We would like to take a cruise out of Vancouver to Seattle, but am aware that Canada is not ADA compliant. Will I have any problems such as taxis or shuttles or anything I should be aware of. Would appreciate any advise and your experience.

We went on an cruise to Alaska from Vancouver last July. We traveled with our daughter who is a full time wheelchair user and her service dog. Vancouver was way more wheelchair accessible than here in NJ. We had no trouble getting a cab from the airport to our hotel. Canada has their own version of the ADA which is the same as ours. They didn't have a problem having the dog in the cab.

It's so sad when one of our babies go. You know I feel so sad about Brenny. CCI does an incredible job matching up these dogs.

We used to call Rangeley "poopalakis". I don't know where that came from but he used to answer to it. LOL We always have goofy names for our dogs.

Things will get better. I promise. :D

Thanks Cindy for your encouragement. You know what that "longing" feeling is. When I walk into "Brenny's" living room and she's not there to greet me hello or the eyes that I looked into when I would say good bye, as I left for work, it leaves me with such overwhelming sadness and longing for her presence.

Horton will lay in his bed and just stare at Brenny's couch......I wonder what he's thinking?

I laid on the floor, next to him and patted and stroked him while I just cried and cried. He's such a gentle giant. He laid there and let me cry and hold him. It was so comforting. I'm so thankful that I went to CCI when I did, and that he's in my life right now!

When Morey, Brenny and I took our trip to Canada, it was very unique. Because Canada is broken down into provinces, each province seems to have it's own laws. We were very welcomed in Quebec, Alberta and Ontario but had some difficulty in Vancouver with a shop keeper who wouldn't allow Brenda in and a restaurant owner who would not let us enter. Rather than argue, Morey would wait outside and I went in, purchased a souvenir, bought some take-out and we ate in a beautiful park, outdoors.

They do follow the ADI [Assistance Dogs International] laws in some provinces and not in others. Wearing a vest is a MUST in Canada for your dog.

We had our own car so we didn't have a problem with taxi's. But I like to talk to and get opinions from everyone. When we spoke to a taxi driver, in Vancouver, he said he wouldn't mind the Service Dog, as long as he sat on the floor.

I would go to the internet and check with the Provinces and places that you intend to visit and see what the requirement is.

We had a wonderful time and I can't wait to take Horton there one day.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Thanks Cindy for your encouragement. You know what that "longing" feeling is. When I walk into "Brenny's" living room and she's not there to greet me hello or the eyes that I looked into when I would say good bye, as I left for work, it leaves me with such overwhelming sadness and longing for her presence.

Horton will lay in his bed and just stare at Brenny's couch......I wonder what he's thinking?

I laid on the floor, next to him and patted and stroked him while I just cried and cried. He's such a gentle giant. He laid there and let me cry and hold him. It was so comforting. I'm so thankful that I went to CCI when I did, and that he's in my life right now!

Ah Roz, what would we do without these big gentle boys in our lives - our boy dog is such a good hugger too and if I'm upset, he looks at me with those big brown eyes and "leans" - my heart feels like it will burst with the love I have for him.

The girl dog is much more practical! ;):D.

I'm a bit further ahead of you with grieving, and can now walk past a much loved sleeping spot, and smile and remember, without crying (but I still have my moments). I hope you find that peace soon Roz.

Cindy - am glad you enjoyed your cruise, hope all is well with your Mum.

Quam - sending you and your beautiful girl my very best wishes for her treatment. Thanks for letting us know how she's getting on. :)

Big hugs to all - we still haven't heard from Colleen - where are you Colleen?

Celebrity with Service Dog -Trip Report

We cruised on Celebrity Constellation Feb 13, 2014 for 4 nights.

Tommi, my friend, is legally blind and her service dog "Gary" is from Leader Dogs for the Blind. He is a 72 pound male black lab, 3 years old. She has had Gary for 1.5 years.

- Boarding - we were told to say we needed "Pier Assistance" and were taken in the terminal to the line for wheelchairs, and it was much shorter than the regular check in line. Our entire party (two cabins, total four people, were welcome to use this special line.) After the first part of check in, we were told we had to wait for the Documentation Officer to come off the ship to review Gary's papers. There was a 20 minute delay for this, as we were told the officer has to come through customs to get off the ship. Gary's papers were in order. (The officer had to keep them so be sure to make a copy for yourself in advance.)

We were told that as soon as we boarded at 11:30 AM, go to Guest Relations and they would have someone take us to the dog relief area. This did not happen. They told us the assistant housekeeper would meet us in our stateroom. Staterooms were not ready until 1:30 and the housekeeper would not be available until then. Housekeeper did not come to the stateroom, so we called Guest Relations, asked several people, and finally she found us. She is not the person who changes the sheets, mind you, she is an officer-level employee. She took us to the box.

The box was supposed to be 4 feet by 4 feet, but it was actually only 3 feet by 3 feet. It was on deck 4, you had to go behind a large tarp that was flapping in the breeze and down a hallway into an area that was crew only. This was a maintenance area that had garden hoses on the floor, power equipment plugged in and charging, making a lot of noise and various other carts and obstacles and several crew talking on cell phones. Gary navigated these things just fine. But the box was in a hallway. The walls on both sides were steel, and it had open portholes high up with no glass, so there was a breeze, but I think Gary thought he was inside a building. He would not use the box. Tommi travels a lot with Gary and he goes anywhere, on command, but he would not go here.

We requested that the box (which was filled with cedar landscaping mulch) be moved to the outside deck (instead of the hallway) and were told this was not possible due to marine regulations that if the wind were to cause any of the mulch to blow overboard, there would be an environmental fine. We asked to have the box made bigger and got limited response. They finally agreed to build a bigger box, but still nothing happened. We tried Gary several more times and he would not use the area. I even had brought a bag of dirt with urine from another dog mixed into it, and sprinkled this on the mulch, but Gary still would not pee.

We talked to at least 6 other crew members and two different officers, and nothing was done. Finally we tipped a lower level crew member $20 and he and another man moved the box from the hallway to an outside area on the deck, but still nothing from Gary. Then the ship’s carpenter came with the Chief Housekeeping officer. Again we requested a bigger box. Instead they brought another box of mulch, which was 2 feet by 2 feet and three pieces of sod and pieced together a larger area. All the pieces of sod had only dead grass covered with mold. It was pretty nasty. We exercised Gary vigorously on deck and a few hours later, Gary finally peed on the box/sod area at 6:30 PM. After that, he went on command every time, just like the perfect dog that he is!

Needless to say, we were very anxious and this first day of the cruise was a total loss. However, Tommi is going on a second cruise this summer with her husband, so it was all worth it in the end!! The crew kept saying that sometimes dogs have difficulty adjusting, but given that Gary has always gone anywhere, on command, we did not expect this much trouble.

We had been told that the box would be in a place convenient to our cabin, but it was not. It was starboard deck 4 forward, and our cabin was port, deck 8, mid-ship. I am glad Tommi is very able-bodied as this was quite a distance.

Life Preserver:

We had read that some cruise lines provide life jackets for service dogs, but Celebrity does not. We bought one and brought it to the muster drill. We asked if it could be stored at our muster station. They checked with the safety officer, who decided it should be stored in our cabin, and that if there was an emergency declared that was not during sleeping hours when we were in our cabin, that we were to go directly to our muster station and someone from the crew would go to our cabin to get Gary’s life jacket and bring it to our muster station. I would think this policy may vary from ship to ship, or cruise line to cruise line.

Ports:

We went to Nassau, Bahamas (did all the prior paperwork for the Bahamian government) but decided not to get off the ship due to all the crime we had heard about in the Bahamas and felt like we might be a target with Gary and a person who is obviously blind. The Bahamas faxed the necessary paperwork quite quickly, but it took 1.5 months for the original to arrive by snail mail.

The other stop was Key West, where we had to pass through immigration before leaving the ship. After they viewed our passports, one of the immigration officers asked for Gary’s papers and when I handed them over, he didn’t even look at them, he just waved us on.

Summary:

After the initial problem with the box, everyone on the ship was very accommodating and gave us tables near the wall, so Gary would not get stepped on. Passengers were also great and Gary was a magnet for making friends.

Many thanks to all of you who have posted previously on this thread.

Celebrity with Service Dog -Trip Report

We cruised on Celebrity Constellation Feb 13, 2014 for 4 nights.

Tommi, my friend, is legally blind and her service dog "Gary" is from Leader Dogs for the Blind. He is a 72 pound male black lab, 3 years old. She has had Gary for 1.5 years.

We were told that as soon as we boarded at 11:30 AM, go to Guest Relations and they would have someone take us to the dog relief area. This did not happen.

We had been told that the box would be in a place convenient to our cabin, but it was not. It was starboard deck 4 forward, and our cabin was port, deck 8, mid-ship. I am glad Tommi is very able-bodied as this was quite a distance.

I'm so glad that you had a good cruise. However, that said, when you were told to go to "Guest Relations" and they will take you to the box.....go to Guest Relations and DO NOT LEAVE THEIR DESK until you are shown where the box is....even if they say, "someone will meet you in your cabin", DO NOT LEAVE GUEST RELATIONS until someone comes to assist you. INSIST ON IT!!!! They didn't pay for your cruise and they're not walking with a Service Dog, who needs to be helped the minute you arrive to the ship. They know you're coming onboard and it's their job to make your cruise the best it can be.

After 15 cruises with Brenda, I now know that once you leave their visual space, you are forgotten and put on the back burner!

The box was too small, again, INSIST that it be made bigger, give them a deadline when you'll return to find a bigger box. Also, INSIST that the box be moved to a stairwell near your cabin. Since Tommi is able bodied she could have handled the heavy door easily. Tell them that it's what Princess does and there are NO LAWS that state that they can't do it. You should be able to go to the potty box in your PJ's and not be forced to walk all over the ship in order for you and your dog to be comfortable.

Not until I cruised on Princess and after I had cruised on Celebrity and other cruise lines did I realize what I could and could not INSIST on! And, what I could expect to happen for me and Brenda.

The fact that Gary was doing "refusals" on using the box had nothing to do with Celebrity or the location. It was Gary's own discomfort and he needed to "get over it!" There is nothing more frustrating then when we're trying to take care of our dogs comfort and they come-up with [in their own heads] a refusal to just go with the flow! As you saw, he finally "gave up the ghost" and went potty. But, I'm sure you guys were very frustrated by this point!

Some folks bring their own filler [a roll of artificial turf that their dog has used before, with success or a bag of some kind of filler that the dog is used to.] It gets packed in a suitcase for the dog. The allowance for baggage for a Service Dog is better than for us!

I've said this before. It's not easy to cruise with your dog but it's so doable and is so much more fun when you're both just relaxing and enjoying this kind of vacationing. I have grown to love it so much!!!!!

Too bad you had to tip a crew member to get your needs met! Shame on you Celebrity!!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hey Cruise Critic, what happened to the search feature on each thread??? I used that all the time to find out info and now it's gone. :mad: The search at the top of the page is lousy. :mad:

CC is working on it. http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/announcement.php?f=171&a=363 Actually, the search feature hasn't really worked correctly in months. :( :mad:

Ah Roz, what would we do without these big gentle boys in our lives - our boy dog is such a good hugger too and if I'm upset, he looks at me with those big brown eyes and "leans" - my heart feels like it will burst with the love I have for him.

The girl dog is much more practical! ;):D.

I'm a bit further ahead of you with grieving, and can now walk past a much loved sleeping spot, and smile and remember, without crying (but I still have my moments). I hope you find that peace soon Roz.

Cindy - am glad you enjoyed your cruise, hope all is well with your Mum.

Quam - sending you and your beautiful girl my very best wishes for her treatment. Thanks for letting us know how she's getting on. :)

Big hugs to all - we still haven't heard from Colleen - where are you Colleen?

"If it should be that I grow weak and pain should keep me from my sleep, then you MUST DO what must be done, for this last battle cannot be won"

"You will be sad, I understand. Don't let your grief then stay your hand. For this day, more than all the rest your love for me must stand the test."

"We've had so many happy years. What is to come can hold no fears. You'd not want me to suffer so; the time has come - please let me go."

"Take me where my need they'll tend, and please stay with me til the end. Hold me firm and speak to me, until my eyes no longer see."

"I know in time that you will see the kindness that you did for me. Although my tail its last has waved, from pain and suffering I've been saved."

"Please do not grieve-it must be you who had this painful thing to do. We've been so close, we two, these years; Don't let you heart hold back its tears."

Edited by wizard-of-roz

"If it should be that I grow weak and pain should keep me from my sleep, then you MUST DO what must be done, for this last battle cannot be won"

"You will be sad, I understand. Don't let your grief then stay your hand. For this day, more than all the rest your love for me must stand the test."

"We've had so many happy years. What is to come can hold no fears. You'd not want me to suffer so; the time has come - please let me go."

"Take me where my need they'll tend, and please stay with me til the end. Hold me firm and speak to me, until my eyes no longer see."

"I know in time that you will see the kindness that you did for me. Although my tail its last has waved, from pain and suffering I've been saved."

"Please do not grieve-it must be you who had this painful thing to do. We've been so close, we two, these years; Don't let you heart hold back its tears."

That is so beautiful and so true ... now I'm crying ..... That heavy feeling never leaves your heart does it ....

We cruised on Celebrity a couple years ago. They also put the potty box down this hallway to the crew area. There was all kinds of things like hoses and other equipment there too. We called it the "windtunnel". It seems you had a tarp covering the entrance which we did not. It was so windy at times we could barely walk. Thats the first time I ever saw Wexler have trouble walking, thats how bad it was. Of course we were stupid and did nothing about it.

When we got on this cruise, there were actually two boxes set up. Each with a square of grass in the middle of the box. :confused: We talked to the hotel manager and told him to make just one box with all the grass in it, which they did. This time however the box was 2x3 ft. Alittle small for our big 75lb tall boy lab. Next time we will make sure to ask for a bigger box.

Another time a few years ago, we had no box. :confused: when they finally made one, they put sawdust in it. Not a good idea on a windy cruise ship. They claimed they didn't know a dog was going to be on the ship. Geez they didn't know after hounding us to fill out their million forms. Hmmmmm. I guess they weren't to worried about getting an environmental fine either cuz pee was flying everywhere! :eek: When we got to the first island they had someone go out and dig up some grass. :eek:

Things don't always go smoothly but we take it in stride and make it work.

So sweet! Sob!

I'm sorry darlings, for being such a "Debbie Downer." The poem actually helps me, if I read the words over and over, and I was hoping that it would do the same for all of you.

Okay, maybe this will make you smile......Once, when I was going back to CCI for Re-Certification [you have to do this every one to three years] so that the trainers can see that you're keeping yours and your dogs skills sharp. Brenda had a very bad habit of "lunging" out at people and other dogs. Not in a bad way, in a "nosey Nellie" kind of way. She always wanted to greet everyone who was walking towards us. So embarrassing. And, neither the trainers or myself could stop or re-train her. She was a brilliant Service/Working Dog, except for this bad habit. They didn't think it was enough to keep her out of the program. They felt they and I could always re-direct her and, for the most part I could, it became easier and easier as she aged and I got really good at catching her.

Well, one time she wanted to get to the folks and dogs coming towards us so badly that she literally pulled me out of my shoes!!!!!! I kept right on walking, like nothing ever happened, Morey picked up my shoes and followed me. I was so, so humiliated. I wanted to "bop" her on the head. Of course, I didn't but boy was my hand sore from holding onto that dang leash.

As the years went by and she matured more, she stopped this bad habit and it became easier to walk with her. Horton doesn't do this and it's such a pleasure to walk with him. His bad habit is, he must give one bark if anyone walks by our front door. He used to give lots of barks.....now, he's down to one and then he stares at me to see if I'm going to correct him. If I throw a wadded-up paper towel at him, it really works well. But, I don't always have one to throw. I just say, "STOP!" He knows what I want!!!!! My big turd ball!!!! He's being protective but when were in a hotel or on a cruise it's really not a good idea.

Ack! My sister had to send my sweet furkid nephew to the Rainbow Bridge today. He was 14-15 years old and it was just time. Still not very comforting. He was a gorgeous Chocolate Lab named Strike. His first owner was mean to him, in that she would tease him by taking his toys and his food away from him. My sister got him when he was 18 months old, but the damage had been done. He wouldn't let anyone or anything get near him once his food dish was down. He was better with his toys. He had Brenny-i-tis, he would chase the tennis ball forever. As long as you threw it, he chased it. Always brought it back. In the last year or so, she has had feral cats hanging around her yard. The big ole meany Strike picked out about 3 of them that were "his" kitties. He let them hang around and sleep with him. Anyway, Fly with the angels, Sweet baby boy. Auntie loves you, but knows you are with your cousin Reno, tearing it up. :(

I watched Growing up Fisher with my kids last night. My husband was out and I dvr'd it so he can watch (listen) later. I think we could have written this show. My husband is an attorney who happens to be blind. He taught the kids how to ride bikes by demonstrating how to do it. The opening sequence is goofy with the blind man cutting down a tree with a chainsaw. My daughter said "daddy would totally do that". And as my son is 11, the same age as the boy in the show, it was very relateable to us.

There are nitpicky things that people with a service dog wouldn't necessarily do and could be turned into good teaching lessons from those of us with dogs.

Ack! My sister had to send my sweet furkid nephew to the Rainbow Bridge today. He was 14-15 years old and it was just time. Still not very comforting. He was a gorgeous Chocolate Lab named Strike. His first owner was mean to him, in that she would tease him by taking his toys and his food away from him. My sister got him when he was 18 months old, but the damage had been done. He wouldn't let anyone or anything get near him once his food dish was down. He was better with his toys. He had Brenny-i-tis, he would chase the tennis ball forever. As long as you threw it, he chased it. Always brought it back. In the last year or so, she has had feral cats hanging around her yard. The big ole meany Strike picked out about 3 of them that were "his" kitties. He let them hang around and sleep with him. Anyway, Fly with the angels, Sweet baby boy. Auntie loves you, but knows you are with your cousin Reno, tearing it up. :(

Aw! Nancy, I'm so sorry for your loss of Strike. [What a great name for a Lab with an "iffy" personality.] 14 or 15 is a long life for a Lab. I hope that all the great memories of Strike sustains your sister and you through the days ahead.

Horty must think I'm nuts. I'm hugging him so hard and holding him so close these days.

Take care, I totally understand. Love you!

I watched Growing up Fisher with my kids last night. My husband was out and I dvr'd it so he can watch (listen) later. I think we could have written this show. My husband is an attorney who happens to be blind. He taught the kids how to ride bikes by demonstrating how to do it. The opening sequence is goofy with the blind man cutting down a tree with a chainsaw. My daughter said "daddy would totally do that". And as my son is 11, the same age as the boy in the show, it was very relateable to us.

There are nitpicky things that people with a service dog wouldn't necessarily do and could be turned into good teaching lessons from those of us with dogs.

Hey! You guys should be getting royalties from this. I didn't get to see it but I heard that there were some questionable behaviors going on that will totally throw the public.

FYI - For the lurkers who love to read about our Service/Working Dogs but don't write in. There are behaviors that our dogs are trained and the expectation that the dog will follow through even if we don't remind them all the time.

For the blind, the expectation that the dog will lay on the floor, under the table, or under a chair is correct behavior. The same is true for the deaf or hard of hearing SD, although it may be easier for the latter to catch the dog exhibiting a bad behavior, the expectations for good behavior are very high!

Princess requests that we sign a contract before boarding with our SD that states that the dog will remain on the floor and will NOT sit on couches or chairs; the dog will not be fed or watered in a restaurant or public area and we are responsible for bringing all food onboard with us.

Some SD's alert their humans in such a way that they have to climb onto the couch or chair and MUST be in bed with them while sleeping. There are always exceptions to rules and, the public isn't always aware of the how's and why's.

Today is Ocho's puppy progress report day. The waiting is the hard part. Davis got his final shots yesterday so we can finally start taking him out more. BTW...he just turned four months old and is 38.5 pounds. :eek:

Good luck with Ocho's progress report. And, good luck with the moose that you're now raising.

I'm sorry darlings, for being such a "Debbie Downer." The poem actually helps me, if I read the words over and over, and I was hoping that it would do the same for all of you.

Okay, maybe this will make you smile......Once, when I was going back to CCI for Re-Certification [you have to do this every one to three years] so that the trainers can see that you're keeping yours and your dogs skills sharp. Brenda had a very bad habit of "lunging" out at people and other dogs. Not in a bad way, in a "nosey Nellie" kind of way. She always wanted to greet everyone who was walking towards us. So embarrassing. And, neither the trainers or myself could stop or re-train her. She was a brilliant Service/Working Dog, except for this bad habit. They didn't think it was enough to keep her out of the program. They felt they and I could always re-direct her and, for the most part I could, it became easier and easier as she aged and I got really good at catching her.

Well, one time she wanted to get to the folks and dogs coming towards us so badly that she literally pulled me out of my shoes!!!!!! I kept right on walking, like nothing ever happened, Morey picked up my shoes and followed me. I was so, so humiliated. I wanted to "bop" her on the head. Of course, I didn't but boy was my hand sore from holding onto that dang leash.

As the years went by and she matured more, she stopped this bad habit and it became easier to walk with her. Horton doesn't do this and it's such a pleasure to walk with him. His bad habit is, he must give one bark if anyone walks by our front door. He used to give lots of barks.....now, he's down to one and then he stares at me to see if I'm going to correct him. If I throw a wadded-up paper towel at him, it really works well. But, I don't always have one to throw. I just say, "STOP!" He knows what I want!!!!! My big turd ball!!!! He's being protective but when were in a hotel or on a cruise it's really not a good idea.

Roz, don't you worry, I thought that poem was lovely and I read it a few times, it rang so true. :)

I have this hilarious picture of you leaving your high heels behind - I hope the path didn't present any obstacles for you to step in shoeless!!! I wonder why I have the picture of Dorothy in the "Wizard of ROZ" dancing along the yellow brick road in her fabulous red shoes! lol!!!

Edited by fairbourne

Ah Nancy, I am so sorry to hear of this .... I just adore these big chocolate boys, ours loves his cats too! It sounds like he had a lovely life with your sister, and had a good long life too .... Of course he had a very special Auntie Nancy too! :D Lucky boy!