Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Today is Ocho's puppy progress report day. The waiting is the hard part. Davis got his final shots yesterday so we can finally start taking him out more. BTW...he just turned four months old and is 38.5 pounds. :eek:

Look forward to hearing news of Ocho. Good grief, Davis! What your daddy feeding you .... :eek::D. Mind you, I like my boys chunky! hee hee!!!

Roz, don't you worry, I thought that poem was lovely and I read it a few times, it rang so true. :)

I have this hilarious picture of you leaving your high heels behind - I hope the path didn't present any obstacles for you to step in shoeless!!! I wonder why I have the picture of Dorothy in the "Wizard of ROZ" dancing along the yellow brick road in her fabulous red shoes! lol!!!

I love the poem.......it has comforted me a lot!

Yep! That's exactly what I did....I stepped out of my shoes and onto the wet, soggy grass....don't ask! Morey and I shared many a good laugh over the antic's that my Brenny would pull on me. But the good that she brought to my life far outweighed the "stuff!"

And, looking back on the brave way that she held her head up as we were being pushed around, in the beginning of our working together, taught me to be strong and hold my head up! The way that she comforted Morey as his health was waning was so incredible to watch. She was my little hero and she shined like the bright star that she is today! She didn't wag her tail, she wiggled her butt and wagged her tail. I will forever be indebted to that funny, wiggly, little, Black Lab!

Here is Ocho's second semester progress report. Not a bad report.

Ocho is working on progressing the retrieve command. He can become sullen with correction and we are working on building his confidence in completing all known commands. We have also been working a variety of different commands around the wheelchair. Ocho has become more responsive to me in the exercise yard. He was slightly stressed on the two field trips we took this month.

Here is Ocho's second semester progress report. Not a bad report.

Ocho is working on progressing the retrieve command. He can become sullen with correction and we are working on building his confidence in completing all known commands. We have also been working a variety of different commands around the wheelchair. Ocho has become more responsive to me in the exercise yard. He was slightly stressed on the two field trips we took this month.

"Sullen" & "stressed", yes, that's a SD in training boot camp. It took an extra 3 months for me to wait for Horton because he would get so "sullen" when corrected. He has to be re-directed or he'll go into "shut-down" mode! I have to intersperse some playtime or he acts like he doesn't hear me!

The trainers at CCI are brilliant at what they do, I hope that Ocho can find his smile through it all!

While at the market with Horton last night he continually held his head down and was acting so sad! Talk about "sulking." Even a stranger walking by noticed him and commented, "what's wrong big guy?"

The market is certainly no place to play games or run & skip with him but that's exactly what he needed.

I put my hand under his mouth to pick up his head and I looked into his eyes, I said, "perk-up Horty, everything's okay!" He continued his "head-hang-low" mode all through the store.

When I got home I unhooked his leash and ran through the house screaming and jumping and yelling - If you would have seen us you'd swear I'd finally cracked!

That did it he started the "Horty hop" and running in circles [like he always did with Brenny], he grabbed toy after toy and tossed them in the air and ran through the house with glee. Finally, he stopped and plopped onto his bed.

Unreal how these dogs can get into a mood and even more unreal how they can easily be brought around!

He's sick, I'm sure, of hearing me cry and cry and cry. It's so rubbing off on him. Time to live again for both of us!!!!!!

I saw this on TV last night - I just love it .... It has nothing to do with anything really, but it's so cute. ;):D. And it brings a smile to your face! :D

Roz, I'm glad Mr H got his mojo back .... :)

Thank you! The video did bring a big smile to my face! Thanks for sharing it.

"If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together...there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...I'll always be with you." - A.A.Milne

Edited by wizard-of-roz

FYI - For the lurkers who love to read about our Service/Working Dogs but don't write in. There are behaviors that our dogs are trained and the expectation that the dog will follow through even if we don't remind them all the time.

For the blind, the expectation that the dog will lay on the floor, under the table, or under a chair is correct behavior. The same is true for the deaf or hard of hearing SD, although it may be easier for the latter to catch the dog exhibiting a bad behavior, the expectations for good behavior are very high!

Princess requests that we sign a contract before boarding with our SD that states that the dog will remain on the floor and will NOT sit on couches or chairs; the dog will not be fed or watered in a restaurant or public area and we are responsible for bringing all food onboard with us.

Some SD's alert their humans in such a way that they have to climb onto the couch or chair and MUST be in bed with them while sleeping. There are always exceptions to rules and, the public isn't always aware of the how's and why's.

Thank you for that info, Roz. We may be starting slowly down the SD road at my daughter's home. Her food allergies are getting worse and worse, and she is starting to get nervous about it. Her solution may just end up being a SD. She and I have been doing tons and tons of reading, and she just became the "parent" of an Australian Shepherd. DD decided more Allegra was better than using her Epi-pen.

She got it at 7 weeks, it is almost 10 weeks now. So far, they seem to have Xena trained to let them know when to take her out to do her business, to sit when told, and to lay down when told. She is also doing well sleeping and traveling in a crate. They have her signed up for puppy obedience classes once she is old enough, and are reading like crazy how to train the puppy to detect certain smells. Right now, it is enough to teach her not to jump on people and to let her run the puppy energy off, but to still mind. The wait time and expense for an allergen alert dog that we could find is so high, my DD decided to see what she could do herself. If nothing else, she does have a wonderful fur baby now.

I have learned so much by reading this thread!

Edited by Algebralovr

Thank you for that info, Roz. We may be starting slowly down the SD road at my daughter's home. Her food allergies are getting worse and worse, and she is starting to get nervous about it. Her solution may just end up being a SD. She and I have been doing tons and tons of reading, and she just became the "parent" of an Australian Shepherd. DD decided more Allegra was better than using her Epi-pen.

She got it at 7 weeks, it is almost 10 weeks now. So far, they seem to have Xena trained to let them know when to take her out to do her business, to sit when told, and to lay down when told. She is also doing well sleeping and traveling in a crate. They have her signed up for puppy obedience classes once she is old enough, and are reading like crazy how to train the puppy to detect certain smells. Right now, it is enough to teach her not to jump on people and to let her run the puppy energy off, but to still mind. The wait time and expense for an allergen alert dog that we could find is so high, my DD decided to see what she could do herself. If nothing else, she does have a wonderful fur baby now.

I have learned so much by reading this thread!

Barb, your daughter sounds like a wonderful person. I'm sorry that she's suffering with her allergies. In that regard it would be wonderful to have Xena trained to detect when there's a breathing issue or when she might fall deathly ill.

My suggestion is to call Canine Companions for Independence 707-577-1774 or 1-877-865-7224 [toll free] and ask them for names of Organizations near your daughter that do just that kind of training. It would be very complicated and exact but not impossible. They may even know an organization that does it in the same way they do.

CCI takes private donations and can therefore pass their dogs on for FREE! By the time the dogs are through with advanced training they're worth in excess of $40,000 or $50,000. When I first applied for a Service Dog back in 2000, they used to ask for $100 [to cover the costs of the food dishes/leashes and vests.] They no longer ask for this. I donate [straight from my checking account every month], I can't thank them enough for all that they've done for me and my life.

Nancy, So sorry to hear about Strike. My first lab was a chocolate and he was a nut. Not very bright. :eek:

DKD, Glad to hear Ocho is doing ok. Wexler had to do an extra 3 months at CCI because he wasn't ready. He also has a problem when he gets yelled at. He puts his head down like we are beating him.

This weekend we were suppose to do "puppy raiser info day" where we try to recruit new puppy raisers. John always speaks and makes Wexler do commands. Last year we got 5 new puppy raisers. :D

Roz, Sorry for the rain but you guys really need it. Except for the mudslides it is now causing. :mad:

Thats today and yesterday our group leader sent an email about kennel cough. They have had a problem at the doggie training center where we do all our stuff. She said the place has been thoroughly cleaned but she requested anyone without the kennel cough vaccine not attend. So I called the vet and Wexler does not have the vaccine. She said he had it in 2009 which was when he was at CCI. She said it's a requested shot, not required so we would have to ask for it. Now we can't go today. We feel bad but we didn't know. I am surprised that the vet never asked us if we wanted it or not. Anyone else know anything about this?

Cindy, We always got the Kennel shot (Bordella SP? not to be confused with bordello! :eek:) for Reno because when we took him to the kennel when we cruised, they required it. We would not of known anything about it other wise. As I recall they had to have the shot about a week before they were to be boarded. Might see if that is still the case. Too bad you didn't know about it ahead of time. I am sure John is very disappointed, Wexy not so much! :)

Cindy, We always got the Kennel shot (Bordella SP? not to be confused with bordello! :eek:) for Reno because when we took him to the kennel when we cruised, they required it. We would not of known anything about it other wise. As I recall they had to have the shot about a week before they were to be boarded. Might see if that is still the case. Too bad you didn't know about it ahead of time. I am sure John is very disappointed, Wexy not so much! :)

You are right the shot has to be given at least 7 days before they go.

Hi, everybody! I've just read through a week's worth of posts - good to catch up.

Roz, I'm glad you and Horty are working through this sad time together. The poem was special. I'm going to copy and save it for someday.

What a week I just experienced!! Life-changing experience, that's for sure! Hearing Dog Raylene arrived last week with her Dogs for the Deaf trainer Carrie. After five incredibly busy, intense days working together, Carrie wrapped up yesterday, and now we are a team, on our own.

It would take pages to tell of all our experiences already. Suffice it to say that Dogs for the Deaf is magnificent. The training was so well-thought out and executed, with a great understanding of how human and Canine learning takes place. We passed our tests yesterday - yippee! Carrie is superb at her job, and in fact she will soon begin her new senior role as the trainer of trainers for DFD's dogs certified for public access.

Raylene is spectacular. I feel like a kid with a learner's permit who was just handed the keys to a Ferrari. She is amazingly smart and well trained. We were in the grocery store the other day doing our public work for the first time (she was perfect - me, not so much), and Carrie heard many comments from shoppers, "What a beautiful dog!" I'm already in love of course with her brains, beauty and winsome personality. How fortunate I am. And how thankful.

We had a press interview, and so an article and photo of Raylene, Carrie and me was on the front page of yesterday's paper! She's on her way to becoming a local superstar.

Raylene was two in December and was a puppy with Guide Dogs for the Blind on the west coast. She had a minor cataract (no treatment needed, does not affect her) so of course, did not make the cut. DFD often receives such dogs, though most of theirs are shelter rescues. She was slated to be a DFD Program Assistance Dog working with a teacher, but the woman's job changed. So suddenly she was available to be retrained as a Hearing Dog. My gain! I am a travel writer, and the trainers saw Raylene and I as a good match. And she handled her very long, three-flight trip with Carrie from coast to coast very well.

Today is going to be a little hard for her with Carrie NOT arriving at our door step at 8:30 a.m, to begin work. She loves Carrie so much and vice versa. So we will plan some good things to keep her spirits up.

I'll soon post a photo of the beautiful, shiny black Lab Raylene - the new Queen of my heart!

Please say a prayer for a little 10year old boy from Johns class who lost his life to a brain tumor on Friday. John and Wexler visited him in the hospital a few months ago. Wexler made his day.

This breaks my heart ... He will be safe with the angels ... I'm sure the visit from Wexler brought much joy ... We have so much to be grateful for with our dogs ... The joy and healing they bring into so many lives.

My thoughts and prayers are with this little boy's family ....

Hi, everybody! I've just read through a week's worth of posts - good to catch up.

Roz, I'm glad you and Horty are working through this sad time together. The poem was special. I'm going to copy and save it for someday.

What a week I just experienced!! Life-changing experience, that's for sure! Hearing Dog Raylene arrived last week with her Dogs for the Deaf trainer Carrie. After five incredibly busy, intense days working together, Carrie wrapped up yesterday, and now we are a team, on our own.

It would take pages to tell of all our experiences already. Suffice it to say that Dogs for the Deaf is magnificent. The training was so well-thought out and executed, with a great understanding of how human and Canine learning takes place. We passed our tests yesterday - yippee! Carrie is superb at her job, and in fact she will soon begin her new senior role as the trainer of trainers for DFD's dogs certified for public access.

Raylene is spectacular. I feel like a kid with a learner's permit who was just handed the keys to a Ferrari. She is amazingly smart and well trained. We were in the grocery store the other day doing our public work for the first time (she was perfect - me, not so much), and Carrie heard many comments from shoppers, "What a beautiful dog!" I'm already in love of course with her brains, beauty and winsome personality. How fortunate I am. And how thankful.

We had a press interview, and so an article and photo of Raylene, Carrie and me was on the front page of yesterday's paper! She's on her way to becoming a local superstar.

Raylene was two in December and was a puppy with Guide Dogs for the Blind on the west coast. She had a minor cataract (no treatment needed, does not affect her) so of course, did not make the cut. DFD often receives such dogs, though most of theirs are shelter rescues. She was slated to be a DFD Program Assistance Dog working with a teacher, but the woman's job changed. So suddenly she was available to be retrained as a Hearing Dog. My gain! I am a travel writer, and the trainers saw Raylene and I as a good match. And she handled her very long, three-flight trip with Carrie from coast to coast very well.

Today is going to be a little hard for her with Carrie NOT arriving at our door step at 8:30 a.m, to begin work. She loves Carrie so much and vice versa. So we will plan some good things to keep her spirits up.

I'll soon post a photo of the beautiful, shiny black Lab Raylene - the new Queen of my heart!

CarribeanChris - I can READ your excitement! :D. I can't wait to see a photo of your new Queen, Raylene ... I wish you and her lots of happy, wonderful years together as a great team. Sounds like she's already a frequent flyer ... !

Well I have some news of my own .... Boy dog has been diagnosed with hip dysphasia - and arthritis in the same knee as the affected hip. It would appear it's been there for a while, but came to light when he fell into a ditch about a month ago. He was taken to the vet at the time, who prescribed rest, gentle excercise and a painkiller.

So couple of weeks ago, after we had reduced the painkiller gradually, he was still labouring his hip - not all the time, but you just notice the way your dog walks, and it just wasn't right. Anyway, he had x-rays last week and the wear and tear is quite bad, so he has to lose weight - 10 kilos minimum - and is on a strict diet, special dry food (which thankfully both dogs are eating with no complaints) and 3 x 20 minute walks a day. So we are now all on a healthy eating plan. And No treats!:( I could do with losing a bit, so we will see how we get on!

The vet recommended carrots instead of doggy biscuits etc., well, you can guess how that went!!! LOL! So we are cutting down the treats to start, broken in half instead of a whole gravy bone, that sort of thing.

Any tips for other healthy treats that we could use - I don't like using their food (kibble) as treats - so any suggestions welcome. Thanks! :)

Edited by fairbourne

Fairbourne, so sorry to hear of Boy dogs status. How old is he? We use to give our big boy Glucasomine it seemed to help him. I have no suggestions for healthy eats. Our little vacuum cleaner eats (small tidbits, I know we are bad parents) of whatever we are eating. In our Rite Aid have the little cookers (Looks like a george forman griller) that you can make your own dog cookies. I have seen where they use oatmeal? Maybe google it?

Well I have some news of my own .... Boy dog has been diagnosed with hip dysphasia - and arthritis in the same knee as the affected hip. It would appear it's been there for a while, but came to light when he fell into a ditch about a month ago. He was taken to the vet at the time, who prescribed rest, gentle excercise and a painkiller.

So couple of weeks ago, after we had reduced the painkiller gradually, he was still labouring his hip - not all the time, but you just notice the way your dog walks, and it just wasn't right. Anyway, he had x-rays last week and the wear and tear is quite bad, so he has to lose weight - 10 kilos minimum - and is on a strict diet, special dry food (which thankfully both dogs are eating with no complaints) and 3 x 20 minute walks a day. So we are now all on a healthy eating plan. And No treats!:( I could do with losing a bit, so we will see how we get on!

The vet recommended carrots instead of doggy biscuits etc., well, you can guess how that went!!! LOL! So we are cutting down the treats to start, broken in half instead of a whole gravy bone, that sort of thing.

Any tips for other healthy treats that we could use - I don't like using their food (kibble) as treats - so any suggestions welcome. Thanks! :)

I can't believe he doesn't like carrots. All I have to do is take the bag of carrots out of the fridge and I have 3 furry faces looking at me. :D

Chris, Congrats!!! Wishing you many happy years with your new companion.

Fairbourne, Sorry to hear about your dogs hip problems. My Bailee had real bad arthritis (we found out at the end how bad it was). Our vet gave her Rimadyl, and it worked wonders. I would only give it to her if I noticed her limping. Ask your vet about it.

Mr. Wexy just loves carrots!!!! He is living on carrots and rice cakes right now. We are trying to take some weight off him.

Caribbean Chris! I can also hear the excitement in your writing. How pawsome is that? Now, I need to know how to pronounce her name. Is it Ray leen or Ray lyn? Can't wait to see your gorgeous BLack Beauty. And score for you to get her with other training!

It is indeed RayLEEN, and she is so pretty. Her shiny black Lab coat draws a lot of admirers!

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Please say a prayer for a little 10year old boy from Johns class who lost his life to a brain tumor on Friday. John and Wexler visited him in the hospital a few months ago. Wexler made his day.

So sorry to hear that Cindy.