Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Mornin all: Alls good, Roz. Just finally getting that grandson to the point where he has earned his Arrow of Light in Cub Scouts! Wheww. I think I deserve a badge too! He did it with my help, a friends help and the scout masters. He only joined in April last year. We didn't have meetings at all during the summer. Then we were without a leader for around 6 weeks this fall. I am so proud of him. He will get his badge at his Pack meeting next week. They must complete all the requirements before their 11th birthday so we were behind the eight ball. One of our dad's makes the most awesome light box for each boy that earns the Arrow of Light. It has the pattern of the badge and behind it a light. Then he makes them a wooden arrow. Very nice. Does it because he loves the kids. His wife is one of the little guys leaders. Such great people. Trav's friend will also get his the same night. It will be great for the boys to get them together.

Fairbourne: You fur kids are gorgeous! I think we have the greatest looking kids!

Gotta run, get ready for church. Hope everyone is doing well.

Hello everyone, just catching up with a week's worth of news! We had visitors, so somehow you just never get a minute to yourself:rolleyes:! I do love having people round, but as soon as they're here with all their stuff, your house is never the same till they leave! That sounds terrible doesn't it, but I'm sure you know what I mean! lol!

So where to start .... Well Boy Dog, has to lose 10 kilos as you know, so we went for our first weigh in on Friday - he has lost almost one kilo! Well done that boy! Girl dog refusing point blank to eat the same food as him, she doesn't need to lose anything, so she's now back on her favourite and he's quite happy with his weight loss kibble. I haven't cut down all their treats, hey they need to enjoy their life too, just like us, but they don't get so much, and it's working as they were very happy with his loss at the Vet.

Roz - this photo is for you from "Boy Dog". Max! Xxx. My DH is convinced he is crossed with a Shetland pony!

I'm in love with Max.......He looks just like my Brenny. Good luck Max with the diet.....You'll live a better life and everyone won't pick on you so much!

Tell mommy to give you rice cakes.....They worked really well when Brenny and Horty needed to lose.

Roll over and smile for your Aunty Roz .... LOL!!! :p. Love from Poppy xxx:D

Poppy, I love that look! It's so scary but so cute all at the same time. You are such a beautiful dog! Keep up those up-side-down smiles!

I always tell Horty he looks like a vampire when he does this! And, so do you!

Mornin all: Alls good, Roz. Just finally getting that grandson to the point where he has earned his Arrow of Light in Cub Scouts! Wheww. I think I deserve a badge too! He did it with my help, a friends help and the scout masters. He only joined in April last year. We didn't have meetings at all during the summer. Then we were without a leader for around 6 weeks this fall. I am so proud of him. He will get his badge at his Pack meeting next week. They must complete all the requirements before their 11th birthday so we were behind the eight ball. One of our dad's makes the most awesome light box for each boy that earns the Arrow of Light. It has the pattern of the badge and behind it a light. Then he makes them a wooden arrow. Very nice. Does it because he loves the kids. His wife is one of the little guys leaders. Such great people. Trav's friend will also get his the same night. It will be great for the boys to get them together.

Fairbourne: You fur kids are gorgeous! I think we have the greatest looking kids!

Gotta run, get ready for church. Hope everyone is doing well.

You are so devoted to this boy. He's very, very lucky to have you on his side. His life is so much fuller with you in it. Boys get such positive messages from being in Scouts. My brother's were very active too!

Oh! Raylene you beautiful girl. You, Wexy and Horty would sure make a great picture. Such handsome dogs. I'm so proud of how handsome Horton is. I love going out into the public and showing him off! The salmon oil does such wonders on his skin and coat.

Nothing like a Black Lab that looks like shiny velvet!

Raylene says 'Thanks for the kind words of welcome, everybody!' Roz, I know what you mean about being proud to take her out in public, with that shiny black Lab coat! Her puppy-raiser sent me some photos, which was so kind.

Fairbourne, she has some wavy areas near the neck and tail but not straight down the back. She's very cuddly and I love getting my hands on her for lots of pets and rubs.

Today, her first four-page, post-placement report is due, so we'll go by the vet for a weigh-in, and I will provide her Dogs for the Deaf trainer with info on how her "sound work" is going. She is really aceing her microwave beep alerts, and yesterday voluntarily alerted for a sound we hadn't even started on yet, the clothes dryer buzz.

These dogs are so smart and capable, aren't they?

After reading this thread for a bit, I decided to drop a hello to everyone here. While not a service dog users my family and I have been raising Guide Dog for the Blind puppies for over 9 years. We currently have puppy number 11 at home a female black lab, Hartlyn, who is 13 months old. The picture in my signature is with Mochi our 8th puppy who is now a breeder for GDB. I am so pleased to see the work we put into the puppies pays off so well when I read about the fun times the teams have sailing the world. :)

After reading this thread for a bit, I decided to drop a hello to everyone here. While not a service dog users my family and I have been raising Guide Dog for the Blind puppies for over 9 years. We currently have puppy number 11 at home a female black lab, Hartlyn, who is 13 months old. The picture in my signature is with Mochi our 8th puppy who is now a breeder for GDB. I am so pleased to see the work we put into the puppies pays off so well when I read about the fun times the teams have sailing the world. :)

Hello and welcome tgmg, I did respond to you once but it seems it went into cyberspace.

You can be sure that the work that you and so many others like Sunshine, DKD and many, many others are so welcomed and loved by us who get to reap the rewards of your very hard work.

I'm so appreciative of all of you. You're a very special breed indeed! I can't imagine my life without a Service Dog in it. I wouldn't know how to go to the mall, the theatre or the grocery store without my dog. I wouldn't know how to go to work or go in the car, or just live my life with my SD.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I[color="Indigo"] guess you've all heard by now. We had a really good "shaker" here in L.A. It didn't match the Northridge quake but it was strong. Not the rolling kind, it was more like someone pounding on the earth trying to make a statement. Horton just sat up in bed and I held on to him because I didn't want him to run into something that was going to fall on him.

Morey braced everything to either the floor or the walls in 1994. Let's see the similarity between this one and the Northridge one.........it happened on a Monday, it was on the 17th and it was a year that ended in a "4." Just a coincidence? I don't know!

One picture came off a shelf, I'll have to get some earthquake putty and start attaching "stuff" to the shelves.

One thing that you learn from earthquakes is to always have your car filled with gas. In 1994 gas stations were all closed for a few days and if your tank was empty, you were stuck. Also, have some cash on hand because credit cards were useless!!!!!

I also learned to keep water in my car and in my house along with protein bars, batteries, portable radio and flashlights.[/b][/color][/b][/color]

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Not the rolling kind, it was more like someone pounding on the earth trying to make a statement. Horton just sat up in bed and I held on to him because I didn't want him to run into something that was going to fall on him.

Morey braced everything to either the floor or the walls in 1994. Let's see the similarity between this one and the Northridge one.........it happened on a Monday, it was on the 17th and it was a year that ended in a "4." Just a coincidence? I don't know!

One picture came off a shelf, I'll have to get some earthquake putty and start attaching "stuff" to the shelves.

One thing that you learn from earthquakes is to always have your car filled with gas. In 1994 gas stations were all closed for a few days and if your tank was empty, you were stuck. Also, have some cash on hand because credit cards were useless!!!!!

I also learned to keep water in my car and in my house along with protein bars, batteries, portable radio and flashlights.[/b][/color][/b][/b][/color][/b][/color]

Not that some of us worry but I am glad you posted. I was beginning to wonder how you were doing. I knew from a previous post you had things in place for both you and Horton.

Welcome to the newer or infrequent posters. It is a good job you are doing getting more dogs ready for working with humans. And thanks to the people who post pictures. Susan

I just want to add my thanks to you and other puppy raisers. The work you do to socialize the dog is evident in so many great ways. Hearing Dog Raylene was a Guide Dogs puppy and I've been in touch with her raiser. Raylene made a career change to Dogs for the Deaf, came to me three weeks ago, and I'm looking forward to our first cruise together!

Not the rolling kind, it was more like someone pounding on the earth trying to make a statement. Horton just sat up in bed and I held on to him because I didn't want him to run into something that was going to fall on him.

I also learned to keep water in my car and in my house along with protein bars, batteries, portable radio and flashlights.[/b][/color][/b][/b][/color][/b][/color]

Not that some of us worry but I am glad you posted. I was beginning to wonder how you were doing. I knew from a previous post you had things in place for both you and Horton.

Welcome to the newer or infrequent posters. It is a good job you are doing getting more dogs ready for working with humans. And thanks to the people who post pictures. Susan

Susan, thanks for asking. Looks like no after shocks and we shall prevail is the feeling of us L.A. folks!

I just want to add my thanks to you and other puppy raisers. The work you do to socialize the dog is evident in so many great ways. Hearing Dog Raylene was a Guide Dogs puppy and I've been in touch with her raiser. Raylene made a career change to Dogs for the Deaf, came to me three weeks ago, and I'm looking forward to our first cruise together!

Raylene will love it and so will you. However, there is the "paparazzi" effect in going on a cruise with your dog. You'll see!

I tell everyone to give themselves lots of time to get everywhere. And, don't let yourself be overwhelmed by all the questions and requests to touch Raylene. The public is in total "Aw" over the Service Dog and all that they can do! Especially, the dog lovers.

Greetings all,

I'm visually impaired and I have a seeing eye dog. On my first cruise back in December, I departed from a port where I was able to leave the pup with family for the week. On my upcoming cruise this December, I won't have that option. While I'm trying to find someone to watch him for the week (I will have "Seeing Eye Wife" along for the trip), I may end up bringing him along.

Here's one thing I'm trying to wrap my mind around. If I do end up needing to bring my dog with me, I was planning on bringing a tie-down chain, in order to leave him in the stateroom while my wife and I venture to the pool area, or off the ship. I wouldn't imagine this would be a problem--I've done something similar in hotels many times. However, on Royal Caribbean's web site, they state that it is the responsibility of the passenger to make arrangements for the dog to be cared for and the dog is not permitted to be left in the stateroom.

Does anyone have experience with this situation? I can't really see what the problem would be--he is well-behaved, won't bark, and won't get into anything in the cabin since he'll be on a tie-down chain. I really like the option of taking him with me, if I'm unable to find someone to watch him back home, but I don't intend to take him with me everywhere I go, and if I have to stay with him at all times it will severely limit my vacation.

Any experiences you are willing to share would be appreciated.

Paul

Greetings all,

I'm visually impaired and I have a seeing eye dog. On my first cruise back in December, I departed from a port where I was able to leave the pup with family for the week. On my upcoming cruise this December, I won't have that option. While I'm trying to find someone to watch him for the week (I will have "Seeing Eye Wife" along for the trip), I may end up bringing him along.

Here's one thing I'm trying to wrap my mind around. If I do end up needing to bring my dog with me, I was planning on bringing a tie-down chain, in order to leave him in the stateroom while my wife and I venture to the pool area, or off the ship. I wouldn't imagine this would be a problem--I've done something similar in hotels many times. However, on Royal Caribbean's web site, they state that it is the responsibility of the passenger to make arrangements for the dog to be cared for and the dog is not permitted to be left in the stateroom.

Does anyone have experience with this situation? I can't really see what the problem would be--he is well-behaved, won't bark, and won't get into anything in the cabin since he'll be on a tie-down chain. I really like the option of taking him with me, if I'm unable to find someone to watch him back home, but I don't intend to take him with me everywhere I go, and if I have to stay with him at all times it will severely limit my vacation.

Paul

Paul, welcome. I really admire your adventurous spirit. Most of the cruise lines will NOT allow you to leave your dog alone in the cabin. One of the main reasons is that many staff members are very fearful of dogs [no matter how well trained they are] and they do enter your cabin to refresh it many times a day. And, if there were an emergency onboard you're making them responsible for your dog. It's a ship, on the open seas.......anything can happen.

When I'm out and about my dog NEVER leaves my side [that's just me.] I don't want anyone else to take the reins [so to speak.] Early in my cruising adventures I've had crew members offer to watch her and even to walk her. I've allowed them to do it but I was NEVER comfortable about it. And, I no longer do this.

HAL gave us a Do Not Disturb sign to hang on our door stating that there was a dog inside with a graphic of a dog with a red slash through it. No other line has ever offered such a sign to us. I don't imagine they really want you to leave your dog unattended and even doubt that they have these signs anymore!

If you like to leave your dog behind it might be best if you leave him/her with a sitter or, better yet, bring the sitter onboard with you.

Well I suppose that is understandable, though disappointing. I was planning on introducing myself to the cabin attendant and explaining the situation, basically that there might be a golden retriever slumbering next to the bed when he comes in to clean. But, considering this rule, I may be forced to board him back home if I'm unable to find someone who can watch him while we're away.

Thanks for your insite and thoughts.

Paul

Well I suppose that is understandable, though disappointing. I was planning on introducing myself to the cabin attendant and explaining the situation, basically that there might be a golden retriever slumbering next to the bed when he comes in to clean. But, considering this rule, I may be forced to board him back home if I'm unable to find someone who can watch him while we're away.

Thanks for your insite and thoughts.

Paul

When you board and your Cabin Steward comes in to introduce himself, you get a good sense of whether or not he/she is fearful of your dog. Of all the cruising I've done with my dogs I only had one Steward who was so afraid that he waited until he could actually see me walking down the hall, with my dog, before he would come near my cabin.

The folks who bring in the room service are the one's who I get the most reaction out of. They're "shocked" to see a dog onboard and Horton is huge so the reaction is always so funny!

Good morning everyone. Hope you had a good week and a wonderful weekend. I am lurking on here lately. So glad to hear about the new service dogs, much happiness with them.

Roz-----you have gmail.

Thanks Trudy, my gmail account is on Morey's computer and I don't always open it until the weekend. I'll open it tonight.

Fairbourne, Love the pups!! I had a chocolate lab long ago. Unfortunately he wasn't the brightest dog I ever had. The black reminded of Wex, upside down with the teeth showing.

Nancy, Way to go Travis! I'm sure he will be getting many more badges.

Tgmg, Thank you so much for what you do. Puppy raisers have a special place in out hearts.

Dobiemom, Awesome puppy pics!!!

Edited by rangeley

Greetings all,

Paul

Paul, I guess I do not understand why you cannot take your dog to the pool with you. Our dog goes everywhere with us. He even gets off in most ports. If he can't get off the ship you can find some lovely lady (like Trudy) to watch him for you.

We travel on HAL and they do not let you keep them in the cabin. I don't think any of the cruiselines will allow that.

Cindy

Hello I am new to this forum. I just have a question for my other cruisers. I have traveled before with my service dog on the short 5 day carnival cruises. But in a few months I will be going on the Carnival Magic 7 day cruise to Cozumel Mexico Grand cayman and Montego Bay ,Jamaica I know we can get off in grand cayman and Mexico we didn't have a issue in Mexico. Do any of you guys have experience in Jamaica or possibly have a umber or email I can contact to see what forms I will need from my vet any information will be greatly appreciated.

Please, please, please follow up with Carnival a few days before you leave to make sure they have everything set. We had issues with the potty box not being set up when we got on board as well as issues in Nassau. We had the correct papers and didn't have a problem in Freeport, but "we" did not tell the transportation people that "we" were taking the dog with us on the bus. It was a huge problem. (Nevermind the fact we had NO trouble in Freeport on the same type of transportation). We wasted a lot of time getting it straightened out on our Atlantis day and we had to cut the day short because we had to arrange our own transportation back to the ship. It was a mess.

I was not impressed with the "refer to pettravel.com website" for what papers were needed. Carnival could not supply the answers to questions regarding paperwork. Our vet and the folks here were much more helpful.

You want paparazzi?? Take your service dog to Walt Disney World.

People will push Mickey out of the way to get a picture of a

"Dog in the Magic Kingdom"!! We have even been video taped.

Put the doggie Mickey ears on the pup and you'll have all kinds of people stopping you!

"Look that dog has ears!" Well of course he does, all dogs have ears.:D

Greetings all,

Paul

We take the dog everywhere on the ship. If you think he might be too hot by the pool, take a towel for him to lay on and maybe an umbrella that you can prop between two pool chairs to shade him from the sun. We have used the umbrella at little league games and a lot of time he is a lot cooler than we are.

We too have a Seeing Eye Dog and I am the seeing eye wife. The dog is so used to being around people that he gets very anxious while left alone in our own house. We couldn't leave the dog in the room.