Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

OCHO MATCHED!!!!

He is now living with a 10 year old girl in N. Virginia and her family.

He will be a skilled companion dog. We will get to meet them in

May at the regular graduation. :D

Oh how weird is that .... I had just posted enquiring!!!

Congratulations Ocho, you star! :D. DKD and family, you must be so proud of your boy! :D

Edited by fairbourne

OCHO MATCHED!!!!

I am so excited and thrilled for all of you. I knew you'd do it and I really knew that Ocho would! You must be over the moon for your guy! He did it and you did it! Wow! How exciting it must be to know that you had such a hand in this whole process.

You get to hand him off in a Graduation ceremony, you must be so happy!

Big Congratulations for a job well done!!!!!

Hey, everyone! Sorry I haven't been back in a bit, life has been crazy, including the wake and funeral for an immediate family member (it was time, but still sad) and an engagement party for another all in the same week.

My service dog has been doing very well on the chemo - hasn't gotten sick at all, even when they raised the dosage, just has some hair falling out. Treatments were every week for the first five weeks, but now she is in the portion where treatments are every other week. This will go on until towards the end of June, if all goes according to plan. She's no longer on prednisone, which made her lose a little weight (so I fed her more - boy did that make her happy!), and she acts the same as always. She only had one day where she was not feeling too well, which was five days after a certain drug that the oncologist said if she will get ill on any drug, it would be that one. She didn't get sick or anything, just had less energy. Of course, that had to be the day of the party, when I had to be at the venue from early in the morning until late at night because I was doing the decor for it. At one point during the dinner, I got up from my table, but just let her stay sleeping because I knew she needed it. She did well, though.

As for Jamaica, yes, I am the one who was told by the ship that I could not go outside while docked in Jamaica. That was mostly okay, since I had things to do in my cabin for the group I was with and could get to lunch without going outside, but the problem was the potty box was on a public deck outside, far from our cabin (this was on my first cruise; I brought my own potty materials for my balcony on my other cruises). Jamaica just does not allow any dog in who has BEEN vaccinated for rabies, so that eliminates all dogs from the mainland US and most other countries. I wasn't upset that I couldn't get off the ship in Jamaica, as I didn't really want to go there anyway!

Roz - You do realize you can access GMail from the Google Web site from any browser (computer, cell phone, tablet, etc.), right? ;)

Somebody posted on here about using Zuke's treats - I just want to warn you that Zuke's sold out to Purina, one of the companies whose dog food and treats has killed and sickened many dogs, so you should find another treat your dog loves.

I'm trying to remember everything I read that I wanted to respond to, but I think I am forgetting something. Oh well, it ain't gonna come back to memory now, so hopefully it wasn't important! :)

Stay well, everyone and everypup!

Quam, so far so good. It sounds like you're heading in the right direction for your girl. I hope it stays that way.

Fairbourne: On facebook I am friends/very close to several dog rescue organizations. I steal those sayings from them. It makes my day a little brighter to know that someone is doing something for all the doggies and kitties that are homeless, in a shelter or God forbid in a puppy mill. I never knew about puppy mills until I started following these organizations. I learn so much from them. One takes in disabled pups. A lot of them are newborns. Cleft palates, and other problems that I can't spell. She nurses these little ones to health if at all possible. She has had several labs that had swimmers legs(?) They can't stand up, their legs won't support them. She has a therapy pool and sling that she puts them in and within a couple of weeks these little ones are running around like nothing was wrong with them. Warms my heart. Another one takes in seniors and makes the best of their last time on earth. She can have around 18 at a time. She is getting a new pupper today, as a matter of fact. As you can tell I am passionate about what they do. Like I said, it puts a smile on my face and tears when someone crosses the Bridge.

Hello and happy Tuesday everyone. So glad to hear all the good news about the furbabies. Congradulations OCHO. It is so wonderful for these puppy raisers. I give them lots of credit----I couldn't do it and then give the puppy away.

Roz- glad that you are ok from those earthquakes.

I have had such trouble getting on to this thread---it keeps giving me post from 2007. I had to go and find the new posts of the day, to find you today. So I hope this message gets to the correct place.

Cindy---I loved watching John skiing---how great. Was that you taking the pictures? LOL How's my Wex?

Have not heard anything from CCI yet but keeping my fingers crossed. There has been a stray dog coming in our yard and I have been trying to get her. She looks like she needs a home. But she has not come to me, yet. I give her food trying to put some weight on her. She is not very trusting of people. But she is coming closer, when she does come in the yard.

Well, have a great week everyone and hope I can find all of you again. Happy Spring.

We just got a very nice thank you e-mail and picture from Ocho's new furever family. They are very happy with Ocho and want to keep in touch with us. Now we really can't wait to meet them and give them the puppy photo book we made. If anybody wants to know why we puppy raise and how we can give them back, this is why and how.

We just got a very nice thank you e-mail and picture from Ocho's new furever family. They are very happy with Ocho and want to keep in touch with us. Now we really can't wait to meet them and give them the puppy photo book we made. If anybody wants to know why we puppy raise and how we can give them back, this is why and how.

DKD, that's lovely and I'm sure you all have a warm happy glow ... and deservedly so! :).

Without sounding slushy (! :eek:!), I just want to say, and although we have never met, you have played a big part in my decision to apply to be a puppy walker (raiser).

I am still waiting to hear, but I know references have been sent back, so the "checking me out" process is well under way! I just need to be patient! And I truly hope that I will have that warm happy glow one day, and be able to tell you that I've been able to help someone in this amazing way that you have done. :). OK, slushy bit over! ;):eek:

Fairbourne: On facebook I am friends/very close to several dog rescue organizations. I steal those sayings from them. It makes my day a little brighter to know that someone is doing something for all the doggies and kitties that are homeless, in a shelter or God forbid in a puppy mill. I never knew about puppy mills until I started following these organizations. I learn so much from them. One takes in disabled pups. A lot of them are newborns. Cleft palates, and other problems that I can't spell. She nurses these little ones to health if at all possible. She has had several labs that had swimmers legs(?) They can't stand up, their legs won't support them. She has a therapy pool and sling that she puts them in and within a couple of weeks these little ones are running around like nothing was wrong with them. Warms my heart. Another one takes in seniors and makes the best of their last time on earth. She can have around 18 at a time. She is getting a new pupper today, as a matter of fact. As you can tell I am passionate about what they do. Like I said, it puts a smile on my face and tears when someone crosses the Bridge.

Nancy, it breaks my heart to hear of cruelty to any animal - thankfully there are good and decent people out there who rescue. I've never heard of swimmers legs, but that's incredible that that lady has such amazing results with those poor pups. 18 dogs, now that is amazing .... ! :)

DKD, that's lovely and I'm sure you all have a warm happy glow ... and deservedly so! :).

Without sounding slushy (! :eek:!), I just want to say, and although we have never met, you have played a big part in my decision to apply to be a puppy walker (raiser).

I am still waiting to hear, but I know references have been sent back, so the "checking me out" process is well under way! I just need to be patient! And I truly hope that I will have that warm happy glow one day, and be able to tell you that I've been able to help someone in this amazing way that you have done. :). OK, slushy bit over! ;):eek:

Thank you for saying that fairbourne. As you said, we don't know each other but I'm sure you will be a puppy raiser very soon. I can't even imagine how great the references were from people that actually know you.

Wow! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I've had the wonderful pleasure of being a recipient of two remarkable CCI dogs who were raised/loved and taught how to be good dog citizens by PuppyRaiser's.

I can't say this enough, YOU are the true heroes of CCI and they'd be nothing without folks just like you.

I'm so glad that your very first experience as a PuppyRaiser was such a positive one!

Your going to be moosh at Ocho's formal Graduation, prepare yourself!

So nice to hear! That folks of like minds are all around us!

Hello and happy Tuesday everyone. So glad to hear all the good news about the furbabies. Congradulations OCHO. It is so wonderful for these puppy raisers. I give them lots of credit----I couldn't do it and then give the puppy away.

I have had such trouble getting on to this thread---it keeps giving me post from 2007. I had to go and find the new posts of the day, to find you today. So I hope this message gets to the correct place.

Cindy---I loved watching John skiing---how great. Was that you taking the pictures? LOL How's my Wex?

Have not heard anything from CCI yet but keeping my fingers crossed. There has been a stray dog coming in our yard and I have been trying to get her. She looks like she needs a home. But she has not come to me, yet. I give her food trying to put some weight on her. She is not very trusting of people. But she is coming closer, when she does come in the yard.

Well, have a great week everyone and hope I can find all of you again. Happy Spring.

Thanks Trudy. Thank goodness no earthquake issues for us!

I hope that stray has a happy ending!

Hey, everyone! Sorry I haven't been back in a bit, life has been crazy, including the wake and funeral for an immediate family member (it was time, but still sad) and an engagement party for another all in the same week.

My service dog has been doing very well on the chemo - hasn't gotten sick at all, even when they raised the dosage, just has some hair falling out. Treatments were every week for the first five weeks, but now she is in the portion where treatments are every other week. This will go on until towards the end of June, if all goes according to plan. She's no longer on prednisone, which made her lose a little weight (so I fed her more - boy did that make her happy!), and she acts the same as always. She only had one day where she was not feeling too well, which was five days after a certain drug that the oncologist said if she will get ill on any drug, it would be that one. She didn't get sick or anything, just had less energy. Of course, that had to be the day of the party, when I had to be at the venue from early in the morning until late at night because I was doing the decor for it. At one point during the dinner, I got up from my table, but just let her stay sleeping because I knew she needed it. She did well, though.

As for Jamaica, yes, I am the one who was told by the ship that I could not go outside while docked in Jamaica. That was mostly okay, since I had things to do in my cabin for the group I was with and could get to lunch without going outside, but the problem was the potty box was on a public deck outside, far from our cabin (this was on my first cruise; I brought my own potty materials for my balcony on my other cruises). Jamaica just does not allow any dog in who has BEEN vaccinated for rabies, so that eliminates all dogs from the mainland US and most other countries. I wasn't upset that I couldn't get off the ship in Jamaica, as I didn't really want to go there anyway!

Roz - You do realize you can access GMail from the Google Web site from any browser (computer, cell phone, tablet, etc.), right? ;)

Somebody posted on here about using Zuke's treats - I just want to warn you that Zuke's sold out to Purina, one of the companies whose dog food and treats has killed and sickened many dogs, so you should find another treat your dog loves.

I'm trying to remember everything I read that I wanted to respond to, but I think I am forgetting something. Oh well, it ain't gonna come back to memory now, so hopefully it wasn't important! :)

Stay well, everyone and everypup!

Quam, So glad to hear your girl is doing well. I'm sure everything will work out. I will keep you guys in my prayers.

Cindy

OCHO MATCHED!!!!

WooooHoooo Ocho!!!!! Congrats Den!! We are so proud of all of you and you should be proud of yourselves. That is so great!!!!

Trudy, That was not me taking the video. I would be on the ground. The boys call be "grace" and are always watching out for me. I'm very clumsy.

Thats great you are helping out that poor stray. Does it have a collar on??

GO JOHN GO! No "hex" on Wex! John's a genius, he knows exactly what to do. Why we get so darn nervous at these "testings" I'll never know. Except, if they took Horton's leash off, it would be all over!!!!!! :eek: That dog is an escape artist........He makes Houdini look like an amateur! And, the worst part is, he thinks he's so, so funny!!! I want to strangle him, when I finally get the leash on him......I just say all the !@#$& words with a really cute accent! [if I do say so myself!] If he understood what I was really saying he'd run away from home, for sure! :p

Horton Jeffrey is a real brat when it comes to coming when you call him, unless he sees that you have a treat in your hand, then he's my very, best friend! He's a "highly trained" brat!!!!

Have a wonderful weekend everybody.......I'm doing absolutely nothing and loving every moment of it!!!!! There's always cleaning and straightening up to do [especially when you have a highly trained brat living with you!]

Horton had a Vet appointment yesterday. And, he did really well on weight/heart/ear/skin/fur and behavior [the Vet should only really know this dog, we'll never tell him!] The Vet recommended that new pill that has the Heartguard/flea & tick abatement all in one pill. As soon as I run out of the stuff on hand that's what I'm going to start him on. It's much easier to give and you don't have to worry about grooming them too closely to applying the flea/tick stuff.

I'm 14 days away from my cruise. I'm looking forward to it and starting to see some light in my tunnel of life, [if you know what I mean!]/B]

Edited by wizard-of-roz