Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Trudy - I'm sure you meant your good wishes for Sunshine! :). I'll keep my, well everything crossed for you - as Roz says, what's meant for you won't go by you! But I'm excited to hear that you get your dog! :D

Our Scottish government is looking to introduce microchipping all dogs and a reintroduction of dog licences. This has come about due to a number of attacks on dogs by dangerous loose/ stray dogs. A guide dog working with a blind person was attacked a couple of years ago by a dangerous dog and suffered serious injuries, but they were unable to track the owner of the dangerous dog. So I think this is a good move - our two are microchipped and our cats are, but it is not mandatory at the moment.

But I expect like everything else, there will be those who think the law doesn't apply to them! :rolleyes:

Here, in the U.S., there's a $10,000 fine and a jail sentence for injuring a Service/Working Dog and, of course, this all depends on locating the owner.

We just had a Police Dog who was shot and the officers actually killed the suspect. The dog, thank goodness, went through extensive surgery and is now doing well. He saved the officers lives and will be presented with honors from the Governor and Mayor's offices. Such a brave dog.

That's another reason why travel with our Service/Working dogs can be very "iffy!" There's a lot of countries that don't recognize the importance of our dogs and don't always treat them with the respect they so deserve.

Anyone heard from Colleen? Just wondering how she's getting on with Misty and how Oz is enjoying his retirement.

Hope all is well with you Colleen, if you're lurking! :)

Thank you for asking about them. I, too, get concerned about folks who write in and then suddenly drop out!

Hi All, Let me catch up here!!!

Fairbourne, You will be an awesome puppy walker!!! What a great thing to do.

Roz, Switzerland instead of Boston??? :mad: Get your priorities straight woman. :D

Den, Best of luck with Ocho! It would be great if your first dog made it all the way. OMG, That Davis is such a cutie pie!!

Sunshine, Have a great cruise and we couldn't be happier that Rich is doing so well.

Trudy, Best of luck with your release dog. You have waited a long time, hopefully this time you will get one.

We have been keeping busy. John has been skiing and having a ball. Him and Wex have testing next Friday, so I'm sure he will be stressed out all week.

I'm going to post Johns skiing video. I'm sure some of you have seen it already.

Also going to post Wexler when he came back from the groomers. They put a bandana on him that he wore for 2 days!

And our puppy raisers got a new pup, going to post a pic of him.

Johns video

Hope everything works!

131744254_CopyofIMG_20140322_132633.jpg.e1c734802cd8f1ac2250fb74b3537d4f.jpg

Lucky.JPG.008e39ccce2ed8ed7cafaac2f0763671.JPG

Hi All, Let me catch up here!!!

Fairbourne, You will be an awesome puppy walker!!! What a great thing to do.

Roz, Switzerland instead of Boston??? :mad: Get your priorities straight woman. :D

Den, Best of luck with Ocho! It would be great if your first dog made it all the way. OMG, That Davis is such a cutie pie!!

Sunshine, Have a great cruise and we couldn't be happier that Rich is doing so well.

Trudy, Best of luck with your release dog. You have waited a long time, hopefully this time you will get one.

We have been keeping busy. John has been skiing and having a ball. Him and Wex have testing next Friday, so I'm sure he will be stressed out all week.

I'm going to post Johns skiing video. I'm sure some of you have seen it already.

Also going to post Wexler when he came back from the groomers. They put a bandana on him that he wore for 2 days!

And our puppy raisers got a new pup, going to post a pic of him.

Johns video

Hope everything works!

Cindy, what the heck!!!! I watched John with my mouth dropped open the entire time. I shared it with my colleagues. We can't believe it! Amazing! And, it was all shot with a cell phone? Remarkable. John YOU are our hero!!!!!

I loved the picture of Wex and that little baby in the bucket, how cute is that!!!!

Please tell John I wish him the very best of luck on testing. We all get nervous for that.

Horton is so dang laid back now, he looks and acts like he's sleep walking!!!!! We'll be cruising soon. He'd better start waking-up and doing his job with his eyes open! :(

Bruce is too darn good looking. Everyone wants to pat him and of course he loves it when I give the ok. Otherwise he remains very focused on me when out in public.

Bruce and I do a reading program twice a month with first graders with learning disabilities. The children love to read to Bruce and have loved watching him grow up. I first took him in at four months of age. Wasn't sure he would be able to lie still for one hour but he did very well. The kids all gave him a "paws" up. He was very good at keeping his bottom on the ground and his listening ears on.

My favorite part is when we leave one of the students will walk us to the front of the school. Bruce has such a nice heel that the child can walk him and he stays right at their side and focused on them. Even walking thru the cafeteria....

I know that we will miss him while we are gone, but, his trainer has made sure he will go out on a regular basis with some of our new volunteers. He get's to be the teacher then.

Bruce is too darn good looking. Everyone wants to pat him and of course he loves it when I give the ok. Otherwise he remains very focused on me when out in public.

Bruce and I do a reading program twice a month with first graders with learning disabilities. The children love to read to Bruce and have loved watching him grow up. I first took him in at four months of age. Wasn't sure he would be able to lie still for one hour but he did very well. The kids all gave him a "paws" up. He was very good at keeping his bottom on the ground and his listening ears on.

My favorite part is when we leave one of the students will walk us to the front of the school. Bruce has such a nice heel that the child can walk him and he stays right at their side and focused on them. Even walking thru the cafeteria....

I know that we will miss him while we are gone, but, his trainer has made sure he will go out on a regular basis with some of our new volunteers. He get's to be the teacher then.

Awwww!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Cindy - looks like John had the best of times, what beautiful scenery - where was that?

Wexler - you are very handsome - I love the way they always have that look of "just look what they've done to me now!"

OMD - "pup in bucket" - how cute is he .... he does look very laid back though!

I'm still waiting to hear how our application for puppy walking is going ..... nail biting times .... so this weekend, in aniticpation, the DH has a long list to work on to make sure the garden is puppy proof - no excuse now for tidying up all the stuff that has been lying around all winter!

We often have pheasants come into the garden, especially at this time of year and they love strutting around where I have the bird feeder. I do like them as they clear up all the seed on the ground that the small birds throw out of the feeder. Usually when the pheasants hear the back door opening, they're off, but this morning, there was a male bird and he waited a bit too long, so of course Max was off like a bullet -dodgy hip and all. He loves putting them up, he thinks he is a big hunter! I heard, rather than saw the bird fly off "all angry bird", and then I heard the yelp - in his excitement Max just went for it, I don't know what he did, but he is now hobbling and not putting his weight on his sore hip - and looking a bit sorry for himself! Silly boy. But he did get an extra gravy bone and a massage from Mum - so maybe not so silly after all! ;):D

It's Mother's Day here on Sunday and the clocks change as well. Have a great weekend everyone :D.

Cindy - looks like John had the best of times, what beautiful scenery - where was that?

Wexler - you are very handsome - I love the way they always have that look of "just look what they've done to me now!"

OMD - "pup in bucket" - how cute is he .... he does look very laid back though!

I'm still waiting to hear how our application for puppy walking is going ..... nail biting times .... so this weekend, in aniticpation, the DH has a long list to work on to make sure the garden is puppy proof - no excuse now for tidying up all the stuff that has been lying around all winter!

We often have pheasants come into the garden, especially at this time of year and they love strutting around where I have the bird feeder. I do like them as they clear up all the seed on the ground that the small birds throw out of the feeder. Usually when the pheasants hear the back door opening, they're off, but this morning, there was a male bird and he waited a bit too long, so of course Max was off like a bullet -dodgy hip and all. He loves putting them up, he thinks he is a big hunter! I heard, rather than saw the bird fly off "all angry bird", and then I heard the yelp - in his excitement Max just went for it, I don't know what he did, but he is now hobbling and not putting his weight on his sore hip - and looking a bit sorry for himself! Silly boy. But he did get an extra gravy bone and a massage from Mum - so maybe not so silly after all! ;):D

It's Mother's Day here on Sunday and the clocks change as well. Have a great weekend everyone :D.

Oh! Max, I'm so sorry you're hurting. Lay down and take it easy. I hope you feel better.....no more bird chasing!

Didn't John look very impressive! I loved watching him!

Again, I sure hope you become a puppy walker.......please keep us in the loop.

Happy Mother's Day!

Happy weekend everyone! We're doing dinner on Rodeo Drive tonight. It's so much fun living in L.A. So much to see and do. And, the weather is absolutely glorious right now.

Rodeo drive eh??? ooh sounds so very glamorous to me, have fun Roz .... We are staying in, I've just put the wood fire on!! LOL! It's a shame he didn't actually catch the blooming bird, could have been roast pheasant for supper!

Anyone heard from Colleen? Just wondering how she's getting on with Misty and how Oz is enjoying his retirement.

Hope all is well with you Colleen, if you're lurking! :)

This is the first time I have been on the Board in a couple of months....my bad!!

Misty is now a joy.........key word "now." We went through a really rough month with her getting me up as early as 3:50am. Thank goodness we were down South and all I needed to do was grab my coat and flashlight...I was thinking kidney/bladder infection........It was terrible and then I would get her outside and she wouldn't/couldn't go. THEN, I googled about dogs needing to go out in the middle of the night....guess what I learned? Misty had me trained. She didn't need to go at all, she just wanted to wake me up to play. So, once I learned that I was "played", I ignored her and told her to go back to sleep.....we sleep in to 7:30am now. Funny Girl.

We leave in two weeks for our TA to Rome and then a week in Rome.

Little Oz is enjoying his retirement and we see him a lot. He is such a darling and so loved.

I promise not to be such a stranger.

misty2014b.jpg.6d774bce3635033d5b370ab8c3b68502.jpg

Colleen, good to hear from you. Glad you "now" have Misty trained. Roxie does the same thing to me. She doesn't go to DH 'cuz she knows he won't get up. But I'll get up since I need to get up too if you know what I mean. ;)

Roz, are you OK? I felt the big jolt in the bedroom. DH was in the garage and didn't feel a thing. :eek:

This is the first time I have been on the Board in a couple of months....my bad!!

Misty is now a joy.........key word "now." We went through a really rough month with her getting me up as early as 3:50am. Thank goodness we were down South and all I needed to do was grab my coat and flashlight...I was thinking kidney/bladder infection........It was terrible and then I would get her outside and she wouldn't/couldn't go. THEN, I googled about dogs needing to go out in the middle of the night....guess what I learned? Misty had me trained. She didn't need to go at all, she just wanted to wake me up to play. So, once I learned that I was "played", I ignored her and told her to go back to sleep.....we sleep in to 7:30am now. Funny Girl.

We leave in two weeks for our TA to Rome and then a week in Rome.

Little Oz is enjoying his retirement and we see him a lot. He is such a darling and so loved.

I promise not to be such a stranger.

Lovely to hear from you Coleen ... We do worry you know if we are missing someone. :)

Misty is gorgeous and what a little tink getting you up to play ....... They are funny, aren't they!

I'm so glad to hear Oz is having so much love in his retirement - he deserves every cuddle.

Thanks everyone for checking-in! I'm good. We felt the quake and only had one picture fall off a shelf and as you can all well imagine, I'm a huge picture and knick-knack fan. I know that some folks really suffered a lot of damage and I'm sorry for them. I used to be really scared of what I was going to do with two dogs if we had a really bad quake, especially with Brenda's difficulty in walking. Thank goodness Horton is young and can do the stairs and I don't have to worry about him keeping up with me!

Colleen, it sounds like you and Misty are getting to know each other. Their habits can be so annoying. But, it sounds like you've got a handle on it. I'm so glad. And, I'm so happy that Oz is doing well. That takes a big load off you.

Misty is so cute. You must be distracted constantly by just her cuteness!!!!

Cindy, going to Switzerland is definitely in my future and you are always in my thoughts. I'd be flying back east to catch a plane to Europe [which brings me close to you....fear not, I'll be bugging you one day.] It's so far off in the future, I have lots of time to think about it and plan it.

Hey, everyone! Sorry I haven't been back in a bit, life has been crazy, including the wake and funeral for an immediate family member (it was time, but still sad) and an engagement party for another all in the same week.

My service dog has been doing very well on the chemo - hasn't gotten sick at all, even when they raised the dosage, just has some hair falling out. Treatments were every week for the first five weeks, but now she is in the portion where treatments are every other week. This will go on until towards the end of June, if all goes according to plan. She's no longer on prednisone, which made her lose a little weight (so I fed her more - boy did that make her happy!), and she acts the same as always. She only had one day where she was not feeling too well, which was five days after a certain drug that the oncologist said if she will get ill on any drug, it would be that one. She didn't get sick or anything, just had less energy. Of course, that had to be the day of the party, when I had to be at the venue from early in the morning until late at night because I was doing the decor for it. At one point during the dinner, I got up from my table, but just let her stay sleeping because I knew she needed it. She did well, though.

As for Jamaica, yes, I am the one who was told by the ship that I could not go outside while docked in Jamaica. That was mostly okay, since I had things to do in my cabin for the group I was with and could get to lunch without going outside, but the problem was the potty box was on a public deck outside, far from our cabin (this was on my first cruise; I brought my own potty materials for my balcony on my other cruises). Jamaica just does not allow any dog in who has BEEN vaccinated for rabies, so that eliminates all dogs from the mainland US and most other countries. I wasn't upset that I couldn't get off the ship in Jamaica, as I didn't really want to go there anyway!

Roz - You do realize you can access GMail from the Google Web site from any browser (computer, cell phone, tablet, etc.), right? ;)

Somebody posted on here about using Zuke's treats - I just want to warn you that Zuke's sold out to Purina, one of the companies whose dog food and treats has killed and sickened many dogs, so you should find another treat your dog loves.

I'm trying to remember everything I read that I wanted to respond to, but I think I am forgetting something. Oh well, it ain't gonna come back to memory now, so hopefully it wasn't important! :)

Stay well, everyone and everypup!

Edited by Quampapetet

So if Ocho is going to be matched in this team training class, we will be notified today. If we don't hear anything, then he continues with training and goes into the regular May team training class. So far we haven't heard anything. In this case, no news is bad news since they will only call if he is matched.

So if Ocho is going to be matched in this team training class, we will be notified today. If we don't hear anything, then he continues with training and goes into the regular May team training class. So far we haven't heard anything. In this case, no news is bad news since they will only call if he is matched.

Just about to end our day, so was just checking in to see if you had posted any news. Oh well will find out in the morning .... we're all routing for him whatever is in his future. :)

Hey, everyone! Sorry I haven't been back in a bit, life has been crazy, including the wake and funeral for an immediate family member (it was time, but still sad) and an engagement party for another all in the same week.

My service dog has been doing very well on the chemo - hasn't gotten sick at all, even when they raised the dosage, just has some hair falling out. Treatments were every week for the first five weeks, but now she is in the portion where treatments are every other week. This will go on until towards the end of June, if all goes according to plan. She's no longer on prednisone, which made her lose a little weight (so I fed her more - boy did that make her happy!), and she acts the same as always. She only had one day where she was not feeling too well, which was five days after a certain drug that the oncologist said if she will get ill on any drug, it would be that one. She didn't get sick or anything, just had less energy. Of course, that had to be the day of the party, when I had to be at the venue from early in the morning until late at night because I was doing the decor for it. At one point during the dinner, I got up from my table, but just let her stay sleeping because I knew she needed it. She did well, though.

As for Jamaica, yes, I am the one who was told by the ship that I could not go outside while docked in Jamaica. That was mostly okay, since I had things to do in my cabin for the group I was with and could get to lunch without going outside, but the problem was the potty box was on a public deck outside, far from our cabin (this was on my first cruise; I brought my own potty materials for my balcony on my other cruises). Jamaica just does not allow any dog in who has BEEN vaccinated for rabies, so that eliminates all dogs from the mainland US and most other countries. I wasn't upset that I couldn't get off the ship in Jamaica, as I didn't really want to go there anyway!

Roz - You do realize you can access GMail from the Google Web site from any browser (computer, cell phone, tablet, etc.), right? ;)

Somebody posted on here about using Zuke's treats - I just want to warn you that Zuke's sold out to Purina, one of the companies whose dog food and treats has killed and sickened many dogs, so you should find another treat your dog loves.

I'm trying to remember everything I read that I wanted to respond to, but I think I am forgetting something. Oh well, it ain't gonna come back to memory now, so hopefully it wasn't important! :)

Stay well, everyone and everypup!

Ha ha, I know that feeling so well when I just can't remember what I was gown to say ..... That blooming old age doesn't come itself does it? LOL! ;):D

Glad to hear your girl is doing well :)